Moving On

Hey

New chapter

Syd’s POV:

“What?” Oh no! He is not happy about it.
“I said your going to be a dad again.” His face lights up.
“Really?”
“Yes really”
“Oh Syd that’s fantastic. I cant believe your pregnant, this is so amazing.”
I just smile at him.
“Oh I cant wait for him to be born. We can paint his room blue and get him lots of toy cars and things like that. I can teach him how to play hockey and……” I cut Michael off.
“Slow down Mike. Firstly you don't even know if it's going to be a boy for all we know we could have another girl so stop planning ahead and secondly we have to tell Amanda and my parents and your parents and all of our friends what has happened.” He looks thoughtful.
“Syd, how do you feel about this? I mean are you happy? Did you actually want another kid?”
“Mike of course I am happy and of course I wanted another kid but….”
“But what?”
“But it was just bad timing. I just got back to work and in about 5 or 6 months I will have to take more time off and I have really missed teaching and my kids.”
“Oh babe, I know you have missed them but what if after you have the baby you take a couple of months off and I will then take time off of work and stay home with the baby.”
“But Michael that wouldn’t work because the baby would have to be breast fed.” Michael shakes his head as to indicate he doesn’t agree.
“Do you remember what Amanda was like? She didn’t like being breast fed and we had her drinking out of the bottle in no time.”
“But what if this baby does like being breast fed.”
“Then we are screwed and you are going to have to take more time off of work.” I just laugh.
“Thanks a lot Michael.”
“That’s what I am here for. Seriously though Syd we should just wait to see what his/her eating patens are like and then we will decide what to do.” Oh how I love this man.
“Thanks Mike. That makes me feel a lot better.”
“Glad I could help. Now lets tackle that other thing you said. When do you want to tell everyone about the baby?” Hmm that’s a very good question.
“I think that once we tell Amanda that the whole world is going to know so we should do straight away. We should tell Amanda first then my parents or your parents then all of our friends.”
“I think I just might agree with you and I think we should tell your parents before mine because we are going to see them on Sunday and we probably wont see my Mum and Sister before then.”
“Ok. Lets tell Amanda now”

Mike and I walk over to the lounge room where Amanda is laughing hysterically at the cartoon she is watching. I wonder how she will take all of this, I hope that she is ok with it. Well its time to tell her.

“Amanda honey can you turn off the TV we have something we need to tell you.” I say to her.
“Ok mummy.” She stands up and turns the TV off and then proceeds to sit in front of Mike and myself.
“What did you need to tell me?” She is so damn cute.
“Sweetie, we are having another baby, your going to have a brother or a sister.” I wait for a reaction. She sits there as everything sinks in then she frowns.
“Why? I don’t want a brother or a sister. Everything is fine the way it is.” She pauses and then points her finger at me.
“This is all your fault.” Then she jumps up and runs up the stairs and slams her bedroom door. I look over at Mike, he has a shocked expression on his face.
“Well, that’s not the reaction I was hoping for.” Michael’s face turns from shock to anger.
“How dare she blame this all on you? Doesn’t she know that it takes two people to create a baby?” My husband is so stupid sometimes.
“Michael she is only four years old she is currently unaware about sexual reproduction and how babies are born and I would like to keep it that way for as long as possible.”
“Oh right. I will go talk to her.”
“No lets give her some time, we can make dinner and then I will talk to her because I am the one that she is really angry at.”
“Ok babe, if that’s what you want” I love how he is so understanding.

I am currently heading up to Amanda’s room, Mike is in the kitchen cooking dinner. I get to her room and knock on the door.
“Go away” I hear Amanda say. I ignore her and walk in.
I sit on her bed and she gets up and walks to her window.
“Amanda I know you don’t want this but there is nothing you can do to stop this from happening. I don’t understand why you aren’t happy about this.” She mumbles something.
“What was that Amanda?” A tear roles down her cheek and she turns towards me.
“I said because you will stop loving me.” Oh my poor baby.
“Come here baby” She walks over to the bed climbs on and I lay down and collect her in my arms.
“Baby no matter what we will always love you. Nothing will ever make us not love you, ok?”
“Ok mummy.” We just sit there for a while.
“Mummy?”
“Yeah baby?”
“I’m sorry for saying it was all your fault before. If I hurt you I didn’t mean to.”
“I know angel.”
“I love you mummy.”
“I love you to angel. Now lets go have some dinner.”
“Ok”
Amanda jumps out of my arms and off the bed and then runs out of her bedroom and down to the kitchen.

School the next day:

I walk into my first class for the day which is my class that I had for last lesson yesterday. I'm ten minutes early so they won't be here for a while. I look down to my stomach and then place my hand on my stomach, no matter how many times I get pregnant I will never be able to truly believe that there is another life in there, it is just so amazing. Before I had even realised it the bell had gone and my students have entered the class.

“Good morning class”
“Morning Mrs. Vaughn”
“How did your appointment go Mrs. Vaughn?” Stacey asks. I smile.
“It went fine. Thanks for asking Stacey.”
“Nothings wrong is there Mrs. Vaughn?” Daniel asks me sounding really worried.
“No Daniel nothing is wrong, why do you sound so worried?”
“Oh its just that last time you were away we had the most awful relief teacher.” My whole class shudders. I just laugh.
“It really isn’t funny Mrs. Vaughn. He gave us homework.” This makes me laugh even harder.
“Your meant to get homework Jason.”
“I know that, but your so nice about homework. You don’t give us a lot of work and you give us a lot of class time to do our major assignments. We had this one assignment and it was really hard and the teacher gave us no class time and we all got really bad marks.” I frown.
“Well how about I take a look at the assignment and I will decide whether or not it was too hard for you and whether or not it will count towards your major grade.” My class beams at this.
“Your the best Mrs. Vaughn”
“Thank you. Now lets get to work.”

*15 minutes later*

My class is working silently thank god. I have just looked over there assignment that the relief teacher gave them and it was way to hard to be done in a week with no class time, this will definitely not be going towards there grades which means I have to write another assignment out. All of a sudden my phone rings, the whole class looks up and they just smirk. I hear just about everyone in my class go ‘Oooo teachers phone ringing’ and ‘Mrs. Vaughn your naughty not meant to have phones at school’ I just laugh, this class is always teasing me. I answer my phone, it's Michael and he tells me he can't come to my doctors appointment this afternoon and that he won't be home until 7.00pm tonight, which really sucks.

“You know Mrs. Vaughn it's not really fair if you get to have a phone at school and answer it in class when we are not allowed to.” Stacey says to me.
“Yeah Mrs. Vaughn I agree with Stacey. I think that you should have to tell us who was on the phone.” I smile and it seems that the whole class seems to agree with that statement made by Shannon.
“If you must know it was my husband.”
“Mrs. Vaughn you are always telling us about your family, when we ask you or if we want to have a class discussion but we have never seen what your husband looks like. You know what our parents look like and our brothers or sisters, I think we should get an idea of your family, not only your husband but your daughter as well.” Daniel says.
“Well if you would like me to I just might bring a photo in of my husband and my daughter later on in the week.” My class seems really happy about this.
“If your good”

*Doctors Appointment*

I am sitting in the doctors surgery waiting for my doctor to come through the door. I have had a while to think about things and I have realised that I don’t actually know how far a long I am. I will have to ask him when he comes in. The doctor walks into the room. He smiles at me.

“Hello Sydney”
“Hi Doctor. I have been thinking and I realised that I don’t actually know how far a long in this pregnancy I am. Could you tell me?”
“Sydney, why didn’t you say something at our last visit I could have told you then.” He looks at his chart.
“I would say that you are about two weeks into your pregnancy” Wow
“Wow. Two weeks that’s great. I never thought I was that far a long.”
“Well you are looking great Sydney.” He is so kind.
“I will take that as a compliment doctor”
“Good, you should.” I grin at him.
“When you are further along, maybe around 10 weeks we will be able to tell the sex of the baby, would you like that?”
“I would love that. I cant wait to find out if the baby going to be a boy or a girl.”
“Ok then, now that that is over lets get on with the routine checkup.”

*7.00pm same night*

“So how was the doctors appointment today?” Mike asks me.
“It was good. It was just a checkup and nothing is wrong with me or the baby. I actually found out that I am two weeks along already” Mike grins.
“That’s great Syd. Did the doctor say when you would be able to find out the sex of the baby?” I smile, he looks so excited.
“The doctor said at about 10 weeks we could find out the sex of the baby.”
“Excellent, I cant wait to see if the baby is going to be a boy or a girl. So I was thinking that on Friday night we could have your parents and my mother and my sister and her husband over for dinner and we could tell then about the baby.”
“That’s a great idea. I will call my parents and you can call your mum and sister.”
“Ok.”

*8.00pm*

“Well, what did your mum and sister say?”
“They said that it was a great idea and Sarah said that herself and Mark had some news as well.”
“Excellent. Well my parents are fine with it and look forward to coming.”
“Good”

*Friday night*

Everyone will be here soon and I think that I am nervous, I mean what are they going to say? Will they approve? Or will they be angry? I need to stop worrying but I cant. I feel Mike come up behind me wrap his arms around my waist and kiss my neck.

“Stop worrying babe. They will approve and if they don’t it doesn’t matter because I love you and the baby and so does Amanda.” How does he do that?
“How do you do that?”
“Do what?”
“Make me feels so much better and stop worrying do much as well as know what I am thinking?”
“Because I love you” The door bell rings and Amanda jumps up to answer the door, she greets everyone with lots of hugs. It seems that everyone has arrived at the same time.

We have now eaten and it is now time to tell everyone the news. I am about to bring it up when my mum just asks me.

“So Syd, what this news?”
“Well I am going to cut straight to the chase. Mum, dad, Marguerite, Sarah and David I’m pregnant, we are having another baby.” I think everyone is shocked. I’m getting worried, then I look at my dad and he has a big grin on his face.
“Congratulations baby” Then everyone followed and said congratulations, everyone except Sarah. I look at Sarah and say
“Sarah, is something wrong?”
“No Syd nothing is wrong, I am happy for you but umm…” Mark puts a comforting arm around her shoulder. Sarah takes a deep breath and then smiles.
“I am pregnant as well.” Once again the congratulations went around and I found out that Sarah is 14 weeks along and is hardly showing. These next few months are going to be very interesting.

*Saturday at Will and Francie’s house*

We are all sitting in Will and Francie’s house no one is talking, Francie is getting drinks, Eric is here as well, we thought we could tell them at the same time. Francie comes back and puts the drinks on the table.

“So what’s the big news Syd?” That’s Francie for you straight to the point.
“Francie, Will, Eric I am pregnant again” I sit and wonder what everyone is thinking.

Tell me what you think.

Mel

Back