My Reason, My Encouragement, My Strength

Title – My Reason, My Encouragement, My Strength
Rating – PG13
Word Count – 2,261
Disclaimer – I don’t own a thing *sighs*
Spoilers – None, this is an AU piece of fiction.
A/N – This is loosely based on the lyrics to Hey There Delilah by The Plain White T’s, and if you’ve never heard this song I recommend you listen *nods* I love it to bits. Oh, and – some of the lyrics to this song are used as dialog, or, indeed, being sung. (I don’t own that either :P )
A/N 2 – This in a one parter. No more.

My Reason, My Encouragement, My Strength

Michael Vaughn rolled over in bed, his eyes slowly opening to meet the warm sunlight drifting in through the curtains in the room. A smile tugged at the corners of his lips as his hand reached out only to find cold, white sheets next to him. Furrowing his brow, sleepily he climbed out of bed, his feet landing on the plush carpet.

The sparsely lit hallway was empty, and he couldn’t hear any sounds coming from the bathroom. Rubbing at his eyes, Michael crept down the stairs and towards the main section of the house.

That’s when he heard her humming.

Following the sound of her voice, Michael found himself leaning against the doorframe of the kitchen, watching, memorized, as she walked back and forth around the large room.

Sydney was wearing his boxers from the night before, the iPod she had clipped to her waist pulling them down bellow her hip bone on one side. The strap on her camisole was falling down on one shoulder, requiring her to push it back up every time she bent over the dishwasher.

He followed her every move. His eyes scanning up and down every inch of her body with every step she took. Standing on her tiptoes to put a glass away, her shirt rode up, her tan abdomen falling prey to his wandering eyes.

With music playing in her ears, Michael walked up stealthily behind her, wrapping his arms around her waist as Sydney gasped.

“Morning Gorgeous,” he whispered in her ear once she’d turned the song off.

Her brown hair brushed across her shoulders as she turned in his arms, being greeted with his kisses on her neck. She grinned, her brown eyes sparkling, as she turned her head, exposing more of her skin for him to claim.

“Morning,” Sydney giggled, her arms wrapping around his neck.

Michael moved them backwards, until finally her back came in contact with one of the counters, which he lifted her up onto with ease. With Sydney’s ankles around his knees, he trailed his mouth along her jaw until their lips finally met in a fiery kiss.

Their lungs began to ache at the lack of air, but at the lack of contact their, skin flamed. Finally, Sydney pulled back slowly, letting her lips linger close to his as her hands roamed his bare chest.

“I have to shower,” she explained quietly.

Groaning, Michael tightened his grip on her waist, not wanting to let her go. “I’m leaving tomorrow,” he reminded her, instantly feeling regret after he did so.

Sydney’s eyes lost their gleam, tears brimming around their edges. Leaning back, her whole body scooting farther away from him, she let her legs and arms fall limp. Staring at her lap, she refused to meet his sympathetic gaze.

Michael’s heart dropped, knowing that he was the source of her pain. “Baby,” he said softly, trying to console her.

She was silent, barely feeling the tears as they left hot trails down her cheeks. Effortlessly, Michael wiped them away with this thumbs, causing her to flinch.

“Don’t go,” Sydney pleaded, her voice barely reaching his ears.

Letting out a heavy sigh, Michael walked away from her to another part of the kitchen. He leaned against the refrigerator, the cool of the metal coming in contact with his bare back and sending a shiver up his spine. Running a hand through his messy hair, he couldn’t bring himself to look at her.

“Syd, don’t make me do this.” Michael closed his eyes tight, his heart pulling him in two different directions.

“Why couldn’t you just take the scholarship UCLA offered?” Sydney snapped, her voice cold and distant.

“You know that’s not what I want to do.” They’d had this conversation before, but only once.

“You and your frackin music,” she screamed, letting her feet land with a thump on the tiled floor.

They both knew, deep down, she didn’t mean it. Sydney was the one that encouraged him from the start. She went to every coffee house he ever played at, and helped him face his parents when telling them he wasn’t going to law school, but instead going to try his luck in the music industry.

He was next to her within seconds, his arms wrapping around her as Sydney struggled to get free. She was going to loose it, they both knew it was coming.

Punching his chest a few times, she finally fell into him. Her head crashed right below Michael’s shoulder, her arms pressed between them on his chest as she cried. Her whole body shook, sending a pang of guilt straight to Michael’s heart.

“I don’t want you to leave me,” Sydney cried, her voice cracking as she tried to restrain the tears.

“It’d never leave you Sydney,” he assured her, his hand rubbing small circles on her back and up her arm.

She pulled back, her eyes narrowing once they met his. “You are leaving me.”

“It’s just New York, Syd.” Again, he was met with her glare. “I need to try this; I need to see if I can do it. But, Baby, I’d never leave you.”

Her head collapsed against him again. “It’s over a thousand miles away.” Her voice was muffled, making him take a second to understand what she’d said.

“It is,” Michael agreed with a nod of his head. “But, don’t you worry about that - I’ll be right here every time you need me.” He pulled her back in his arms, his green eyes meeting her chocolate brown ones. “You still have that CD, right?”

“Yea,” she nodded, the thought of the song he wrote for her five months ago bringing back yet another batch of tears.

“If you get lonely, listen to it,” he told her softly. “Close your eyes, listen to my voice, I’ll be by your side.”

Sydney nodded slowly, a faint smile gracing her lips. “Okay,” she whispered, standing on her toes to place a gentle kiss on his lips. “I’m going to go shower,” she explained, walking away from him and towards the bathroom.

She let the hot water of the shower envelop her, closing her eyes and letting the cascade wash away all the fears that Michael had left in her. She ran a hand through her hair, exposing her face to the water and getting a chill the second it came in contact with her delicate skin.

Letting time slip by, Sydney had no recollection as to how long she’d been and slowly brought herself to turn off the shower and get dressed. As soon as the water stopped the sound of Michael’s guitar filled her ears. The familiar melody bringing a smile to her face.

Walking into the living room, Sydney found Michael half laying, half sitting, on the couch with his guitar in his lap. His fingers strung the notes flawlessly, a song he’d memorized long ago and still being able to play it with perfection.

He looked up at her with a boyish grin as she came to him and sat on top of his feet. Smiling, he didn’t mind, he only looked at her with the lyrics spilling from his lips.

“… I’ve got so much left to say and if every simple song I wrote to you would take your breath away, I’d write it all. Even more in love with me you’d fall. We’d have it all-”

“I love that part,” she interrupted him, an innocent smile playing on her lips.

Michael laughed, setting his guitar on the floor, and reaching to bring her to him. Laying on him, Sydney giggled, her head burying in his neck.

He looked at her quizzically. “What?”

She grinned mischievously at him, her eyes sparkling with laughter. “Remember that time Francie came over and caught us on the couch?”

Michael smirked, shaking his head from side to side. “How could I forget? Her face was priceless.”

Francie Calfo, Sydney’s best friend, had been traumatized that fall evening. Just stopping by for a visit with Sydney, and instead walking through the front door to be greeted by two half naked forms on Sydney’s couch. She’d gasped, her eyes wide in horror, and quickly turned around to leave.

“She told everyone,” Sydney agonized, rolling her eyes in exaggeration.

“They wouldn’t leave us alone for a month,” Michael added, remembering all the jokes he’d had to put up with that his friends were cracking right and left.

They fell silent, their minds lost in separate worlds. Finally, Sydney was pulled from her thoughts as Michael’s warm breath filled her ear whispering, “You were amazing last night. I never got a chance to tell you that.”

A blush immediately crept up her neck, turning her cheeks a pale shade of pink. They both knew how old that line was, but she could have, honestly, cared less.

Sydney laughed as Michael began to kiss the back of her neck, one of his hands playing with the hem of her shirt. “You’re gorgeous,” he admitted quietly. She sat up instantly, turning in his embrace so she could meet his eyes.

“You’re going to find someone better,” she concluded, her face showing hurt.

Not that he’d ever admit it aloud, but he knew she owned his heart. The reason for his existence, meant only to love her. He didn’t care how cliché it sounded either, she was his everything.

Sighing heavily, Michael reached his hand out to cup her cheek. “Never.”

“Yes, you are.” Sydney nodded her head stubbornly. “You’re going to find some rich New York girl with that weird accent and reads Shakespeare or something. She’ll be smarter than me and prettier than me-”

Michael cut her off with a soft, yet firm, kiss. Finally, when he was convinced she wouldn’t resume her previous ranting, he pulled back. “That’s not possible.”

Sydney scrunched her forehead. “Is too.”

Shaking his head, stealing her stubbornness, Michael took her hands in his own. “You’re beautiful Syd; Time Square couldn’t shine as bright as you.”

Bursting out in laughter, Sydney buried her face in her hands. “I don’t think I’ve ever heard a cheesier line.”

“I heard it in a song,” Michael admitted with a shrug.

“It’s cute,” she told him quietly, leaning in to kiss his cheek.

“Really?” Michael brought her closer to him, his hand holding the back of her head.

“Mhm.” Sydney smiled, meeting Michael’s lips once more.

Their hands roamed territory that was going to become less familiar over the next few months. Each touch, every noise, every movement, being stored permanently to memory. The way their skin, pressed against the other, felt and burned with each second that passed by. The unbelievable amount of joy and love cursing through their veins.

Michael laid Sydney down gently on her back, kissing the side of her jaw right at the base of her ear. “You know I love you,” he whispered, his voice sending a pulse down her spine.

“I know,” she whispered with a heavy breath. “I love you, too.”

~​

Standing in the hallway with the front door open, Sydney and Michael were wrapped in one another’s arms. Her head rested against his chest, her grip unconsciously tight around his waist; refusing to let go.

“Baby,” he prompted softly, one hand coming up to brush a piece of hair from in front of her eye away. “That cab’s not going to wait forever.”

“So it will leave you here?” she asked hopefully, her eyes cast downward.

“I love you,” Michael said seriously, pressing a kiss to her forehead.

“Promise you’ll come back?” Sydney asked quietly, her eyes finally glancing up at him.

“That’s what they make planes, and trains, and cars for.” He laughed at her.

“I’m serious Michael!” Sydney shrieked, stepping away from him.

“I know you are.” Michael nodded his head slowly, moving towards her. “I’d walk back to you if I had no other way,” he promised.

Sydney smiled at him, “I love you, too.”

With one, final kiss, Michael quickly turned for the door, knowing that he’d never leave if he stayed any longer. “Be good,” he told her sternly. “And don’t miss me.”

She rolled her eyes at him.

“Two more years,” he reminded her. “You’ll be done with school.”

They both knew, in reality, it wasn’t a long time. But, to their shattering hearts, it seemed like an eternity.

“And you’ll be making history,” Sydney whispered, her face holding a sad smile.

Michael thought back to all the late nights she’d been his encouragement. All the times she had faith in him when it seemed as if no one else even cared. She was giving him the strength to follow his dreams, and though it hurt, supporting him every step of the way.

“You know, it’s all because of you,” Michael told Sydney quietly.

Seeing her smile one last time, he turned and walked out the door. He couldn’t look back, knowing she’d be leaning against the doorframe with tears streaming down her face, aching for his comfort. Knowing he wouldn’t be able to deny her that, Michael kept his head fixed on the floor of the dirty cab, barely listening as the driver spoke.

“Where to?” The man asked, his voice thick with a Spanish accent.

“LAX,” Michael told him quietly, gaining enough courage to look out the window, just to make sure she was alright.

Sydney smiled at him with reassurance, waving her hand in the air as the cab drove off down the suburban street.

She was the reason, his reason, for even trying.

{Finished}

Oklies, that be it…
Hope you guys liked it.
I’ll probably send out PMs on Monday? Maybe?
Haven’t decided yet.
*_Ash

That was soooo good, and you have the base for a story *hint hint*! I know it's one parter but it could be a brill story (and if you ever make it one, i want a PM!) Well done! It was amazing!

~lil~

Ash, that was INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!! Just everything about it, the descriptions, the emotion, everything. And FLUFF!!! Sucks that it's a one-parter though. It would make an awesome fic.

GREAT job.

~Karen

UGH! I HATE YOU!! YOU'RE SUCH A gorram WHORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I put it in pink because I know how much you hate it, and I'm mad at you.

Who the hell beta'd this? Did you REPLACE ME, ho!?

:Ph34r:

“Morning Gorgeous,” he whispered in her ear once she’d turned the song off.

Her brown hair brushed across her shoulders as she turned in his arms, being greeted with his kisses on her neck. She grinned, her brown eyes sparkling, as she turned her head, exposing more of her skin for him to claim.

“Morning,” Sydney giggled, her arms wrapping around his neck.
::le sigh:: :sigh: He's so perfect.

He was next to her within seconds, his arms wrapping around her as Sydney struggled to get free. She was going to loose it, they both knew it was coming.

Punching his chest a few times, she finally fell into him. Her head crashed right below Michael’s shoulder, her arms pressed between them on his chest as she cried. Her whole body shook, sending a pang of guilt straight to Michael’s heart.

“I don’t want you to leave me,” Sydney cried, her voice cracking as she tried to restrain the tears.

“It’d never leave you Sydney,” he assured her, his hand rubbing small circles on her back and up her arm.

She pulled back, her eyes narrowing once they met his. “You are leaving me.”

“It’s just New York, Syd.” Again, he was met with her glare. “I need to try this; I need to see if I can do it. But, Baby, I’d never leave you.”
GOD DAMN YOU! YOU MADE ME TEAR UP!

Makes me hate you even more!!

Michael laughed, setting his guitar on the floor, and reaching to bring her to him. Laying on him, Sydney giggled, her head burying in his neck.

He looked at her quizzically. “What?”

She grinned mischievously at him, her eyes sparkling with laughter. “Remember that time Francie came over and caught us on the couch?”

Michael smirked, shaking his head from side to side. “How could I forget? Her face was priceless.”

Francie Calfo, Sydney’s best friend, had been traumatized that fall evening. Just stopping by for a visit with Sydney, and instead walking through the front door to be greeted by two half naked forms on Sydney’s couch. She’d gasped, her eyes wide in horror, and quickly turned around to leave.

“She told everyone,” Sydney agonized, rolling her eyes in exaggeration.

“They wouldn’t leave us alone for a month,” Michael added, remembering all the jokes he’d had to put up with that his friends were cracking right and left.
:lol: :naughty: They couldn't even make it to the bedroom, eh? :naughty:

They fell silent, their minds lost in separate worlds. Finally, Sydney was pulled from her thoughts as Michael’s warm breath filled her ear whispering, “You were amazing last night. I never got a chance to tell you that.”

A blush immediately crept up her neck, turning her cheeks a pale shade of pink. They both knew how old that line was, but she could have, honestly, cared less.

Sydney laughed as Michael began to kiss the back of her neck, one of his hands playing with the hem of her shirt. “You’re gorgeous,” he admitted quietly. She sat up instantly, turning in his embrace so she could meet his eyes.
I want him!!!!!!!! :thud: He's so frackin perfect.

That was so good, hun!!! I loved it, even if I don't love you.

:P

:rolleyes:

And you better get your sorry ass online before my friends come over for the party!!! -_-

(y)

Ugh, KATY!

People came over... my Mums friends - Im just on for like, two seconds
And - Janet said you disappeared....

UGH!

And no - I didnt replace you, cause I LOVE you...
It's unbeta'd :P

Great fic. Singing Vaughn -I would like to see and hear him :P
I really like fluff. Even if there was also angst...
Pity it's only one parter :angelic:
Ally

Not that he’d ever admit it aloud, but he knew she owned his heart. The reason for his existence, meant only to love her. He didn’t care how cliché it sounded either, she was his everything.
Aww... :love: Loved that line. :smiley:

Great one parter. Just the right amount of fluff and angst, all mixed into one. :smiley:

Ugh, KATY!

People came over... my Mums friends - Im just on for like, two seconds
And - Janet said you disappeared....

UGH!

And no - I didnt replace you, cause I LOVE you...
It's unbeta'd :P
GOOD! YOU BETTER NOT REPLACE ME! And the evil computer :devil: crashed and I had to restart!!! :( Not my fault!!!!!!1

Back