Name the Stakes

I hae to agree..Oliver Martinez is a great casting choice...I can clearly picture him in my head. I love the tension happening between Sid and Sark right now...You can almost fell it.

Great job again!!!!!

Awesome update..Oliver Martinez was a great choice for Gilbert.

I love the tension that's between Syd and Sark,the car sence was great.
Can't wait to find out who she sees..Damn Cliffhangers lol..

Thanks for the pm,can't wait for more.
~Rach~

Sark felt Sydney still staring at him expecting an answer. Well, you are not going to get one. You don’t even deserve a clever retort, he mused.

Hehehe... I just found this funny that he was holding back his clever retorts!

“That? It was something my father always said to me as a child. During my…” He started to say recruitment, but thought better of it, “training, I heard it there as well. It became my mantra of sorts – world be damned.”

Everyone should have a mantra... ;) Just hopefully not everyone's will bring up repressed memories in other people. I love how you tied in Sark's past with his father with Sydney's past with his father.

She knew this because every time she would steal a look in his direction, he would still be leaning back in the seat with one arm over the wheel, one on the clutch and his head cocked to the side. Damn, it was sexy. She hated the effect he had on her. Even now, her conscious was working in his favor.

That's our Sark! He can't even help the fact that he's sexy! It's unconscious...

“Sure, I’ll just pretend you are Vaughn,”

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That was incredibly harsh, Sydney! Incredibly harsh! And just so you know, I did actually shout OH out loud just like I typed it when I read this line!

If the remark had stung, he didn’t show it. That hadn’t struck Sydney as odd, but what she did find disconcerting was the fact it hurt her to say it to him. 

As it damn well should, Sydney! I would never be mean to Sark if I were here... unless he did something completely bastard-like and needed to be put in his place.

No, a normal life would never be hers, but seeing Sark in that light despite the circumstances gave her glimpses of what her life could be like.

Awww... she wants a normal life with him... :smiley:

Argh! I would criticize you for the cliff hanger, but I do it, too! Can't wait for the next part. It sounds promising!

Another excellent chapter. Loving the Sark/Sydney angst regarding the line in the letter, but surely they can't be mad at each other anymore, now that they realise their problems arose from a simple misunderstanding?

And Syd's line "I'll just pretend you are Vaughn." Very very harsh. Poor Sark!

The cliffhanger is v.good, although I am now awaiting the next chapter even sooner :smiley:

ooooh you ARE a horrible person...but that's ok i still love ya. i love how they are so mean to each other yet they are both feeling guilty about it...i always knew they were ment to be...yea for the next chapter!!! :D

“Sure, I’ll just pretend you are Vaughn."    “Excellent.”

:lol:

Perfect!!! Such a great line. Oh... You are doing such a wonderful job with this and I'm well aware the this is redundant, but I'm so enjoying reading this. Sark is right-on and I love the way you characterize Syd.

But that cliffhanger????????? <_< You are so bad, chica. Good luck on your paper and hope you get to update soon. Thanks for the PM.

:thud: My heart just went stopped when I read the cliffhanger. :lol:

He caught sight of her hand moving over to turn up the volume on the radio. Hastily, he reached over and turned it off. “I’m trying to drive.” s***, I spoke first.
:rotflmao: I don't know why, but I think it's so funny when Sark says "s***." :lol:

First Colin Firth and now Oliver Martinez... 🤤 Great casting choices, Suzi!! :D

I love how they're so tense around each other... not willing to trust each other so easily.

Amazing as always, Suzi!

Oh evil cliffhanger!!!!!! No come back...come back right now! I want to know whats going on! I loved all that Sark/Syd tension...in the car, prefect...and that line about him being Vaughn :lol: classic my freind. And Sark being all mad and swearing because he was the first to talk...hehehe

I think Sarky was getting alittle jelous of all that attention that James or whatever person was giving Sydney ;) Can't wait to see what happenes, update soon! Please!

Tommy-Lane

i'm so happy you wrote a sequel! i've been trying to catch up on all the stories i missed while i was gone so thats why my reply is so late. this is really good so far, of course, not that i was expecting anything less than that! please continue PMing me when you update this story. thanks!

Fantastic!

I just read Break the Silence and was awed! You're writing is great and this is, so far, a good sequel.

Can I get a PM when you update?

Awesome job!

Can't say anything new, it's already been said, the car scene, pretending he's Vaughn, how sexy Sark is when he's not even trying, or better yet, p***** off....

:love: :sly: :thud: :thud: :thud:

sigh...........Thanks for the PM!

and yes, the cliffhanger was EVIL! :lol:

So I decided to stop being so evil and post the continuation from the evil cliffhanger - sorry I had to that to you all! It was getting a little nerve wracking seeing how the muse was MIA for about a week and a half meaning after this chapter I had nothing new written - but alas! She appeared and gave me a chapter last night... Enjoy!! ^_^

Jems gets a super sized thankies for reviewing this chapter with me online! You know how much I love getting your reaction instantly on AIM as you read it!! You rock my twin!! :Punkrock:

You're going to see this through - Don't let them get to you - You're going to walk on home - You're going to walk alone - You're going to walk so far - You're going to wonder who you are ~ The Smashing Pumpkins

As Sydney hurriedly ran towards the bathroom, she noticed she could no longer hear Sark or Gilbert conversing. Her pulse quickened at the thought she had taken too long. After she had grabbed her shoes, Sydney took a deep breath before beginning down the stairs. Midway down, she cast a glance into the sitting room and was slightly alarmed at the sight of the empty sofa. Where had they gone, she wondered. Now at the bottom of the steps, she began to walk back into the sitting room.

Sydney gasped in surprise at the sight before her.

Gilbert was on his knees with his hands behind his head trembling softly. A large gash on his forehead was oozing blood down the side of his face onto his pressed white linen shirt.

“What are you doing,” Sydney cried looking at Sark holding a gun to Gilbert’s head. She noticed Sark’s suit was slightly wrinkled now but it was obvious who had received the brunt of the blows from their apparent scuffle.

“Merely giving you a head start to your test, Sydney dear.” Her eyes kept going back and forth between Gilbert who seemed to be pleading silently to her and Sark whose own eyes seemed to be burning with scorn.

“My test? I got the file, now let’s go!”

Sark stood unmoving before her, the gun never wavering in his hand. “Sloane leave out this part, did he?” Gilbert hearing Sloane’s name dared to turn his head up toward Sark, a look of realization crossing his face. Sark quickly brought his Glock across Gilbert’s face before he had a chance to speak.

“Stop it Sark,” Sydney yelled wincing as Gilbert cried out in pain, “I have the file. Let’s…”

“Did you think it would be that easy Sydney? You take some file back to Sloane and you’re in? This is a loyalty test not one of basic skills,” he spat. Sydney stared at him in disbelief. “If you are who you say you are, you should have no qualms about killing this innocent man because Sloane ordered it.”

“Sloane never said anything about killing him!” It didn’t make sense to her. Sloane never ordered her to kill Gilbert. She didn’t understand how Sark would willingly put her in the position to kill someone who did not deserve it. Had it been someone like Sloane, now that would have been a different story. “I won’t do it.

Sark looked at her studying her defiant front, his eyes seeming to open with clarity at Sydney’s refusal to kill an innocent man. “It still has to be done Sydney, one way or another…” he trailed off as his eyes briefly left hers while slowly moving his finger to pull the trigger back on the gun.

For a second, everything moved in slow motion to Sydney. The thought flashed across her mind that Sark could never be MI-5 if he were going to do something like this and she felt herself move towards him as the word “no” beginning to escape past her lips.

The sound of the gun caused the silence of the house to cease as the echo from the shot rang out. Sark’s eyes now on Sydney never left her as Gilbert fell dead to the floor. Horrified, Sydney stopped moving towards Sark now staring down at Gilbert as his blood flowed out onto the wooden floor. She turned her cold gaze to Sark as he started to walk past her. Grabbing him by the arm, she pulled him around to face her. “He was an innocent man! Why?”

Sark reached up and removed her hand from off of his suit as he turned slightly away from her. Sydney’s appearance no longer deceiving him, Sark was able to see through the front she had desperately been trying to convince him of.

“No, he wasn’t Sydney. He provided the Covenant with millions for arms contracts.” Sydney stared at him trying to comprehend what he was telling her. “He stole that file as well as several other items from Sloane. He wanted to me to put you in the position to kill Gilbert and report your reaction back to him.”

Sydney began to feel hot tears prickle in the corner of her eyes. “Then why tell me he was innocent?”

Sark turned facing her fully now. “That was my test for you Sydney.” She looked at him not understanding. “I knew that if you thought Gilbert was as despicable as Sloane, you would have no trouble in executing him. If you were truly as cold as you have been pretending to be, again you wouldn’t have hesitated.”

Sark looked away from her now noticing the gun oddly began to feel heavy in his hand. “I hoped you wouldn’t do it,” he said quietly.

Unprepared for all that she had just witnessed, Sydney felt a tear spill from her eye and slowly roll down her cheek. She quickly wiped it away. “What are you going to tell Sloane then?”

Sark brought his gaze back up to her face. He felt torn in two at the sight of her crying before him. Both furious that she had gone against him despite his warnings and now relief that she was still the same Sydney he cared deeply for.

“It’s tempting to tell you I will inform Sloane your true intentions were revealed so you will return to Los Angeles,” he paused as he saw her purse her lips together attempting to stifle a sniffle, “but you wanted into this life Sydney. I can’t keep you from it if it’s what you want.”

Sydney nodded respectfully at him as he moved to walk past her. He was right, she thought. She had gotten herself into this and if she walked out that door with him, there would be no going back. She cast one more look down at Gilbert before turning to follow Sark out into the foyer. Surprised, she looked up to see him standing in the doorway watching her.

“You’re on your own now, Sydney,” Sark said to her before turning and walking out the door.

Sorry, it was kind of a short chapter/update but at least the Evil!Cliffhanger is no more, right? :thinking: :D As always, your feedback is greatly appreciated! ^_^

Next Update

NOOOOOOO He can't leave her!!!! He totally loves her and he should just get over it....and in the process, let her know how he feels! He should destroy the covenant somehow and sweep her away! Doesn't stupid Sark realise that she is doing this cause she loves him!!! The cliffhanger was naugty, but having him walk away is naughty too. Some days I just don't know what to do with you!!!

Thanks for the PM darlin!

Erin

Edited because I'm silly and probably should read things when I'm so tired -- and I misinterpreted the end of this update! :lol:

Sark turned facing her fully now. “That was my test for you Sydney.” She looked at him not understanding. “I knew that if you thought Gilbert was as despicable as Sloane, you would have no trouble in executing him. If you were truly as cold as you have been pretending to be, again you wouldn’t have hesitated.”

Sark looked away from her now noticing the gun oddly began to feel heavy in his hand. “I hoped you wouldn’t do it,” he said quietly.

I loved that part. So now, Sark knows that she is not quite as hard as she was pretending to be...she's still the same Sydney (and hopefully he can grow to trust her...and tell her how he feels!!)

Great job, Suzi! Thanks for getting rid of the evil cliffhanger!! :flowers:

Okay - I have to clear something up right away!!!

He's not literally leaving her!! Just in the metaphorical - I'm not going to keep covering your ass for you since you got yourself into this/this is what you wanted!!

Eeeeeek! Don't kill me!!! :( :(

Hope that clears up any confusion!!

Back