Need Game!

Okay, right now there's a serious drought among MMOs right now. I've even resorted to returning to WoW (and I still firmly believe it's not a bad game) but it's not for me.

I've tried EQ2 and it's a good game except I can't stand all the zones. There's just too many and if you are just starting, it's a bit rough since everyone is at the end.

Vanguard...don't even go there.

Is there any fantasy MMO out there worth playing as a newbie?

Well with Kunark, everyone in EQ2 is in the Kunark newbie zones ;)
The Kunark newbie quests basicaly skip you from 1-20 in less than a day, while equipping you with items that have bonuses to make my level 50 jealous.

I agree about the drought, and nothing worthwhile seems to be on the horizon :(

Well.......... Rf online is free to play now HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! (not fantasy and not newbie friendly btw lol)

A year ago I would have suggested DAOC, probably while holding a warhammer (pun intended) over your head, until you tried it. Alas, with the changes they have made, and the loss of Sanya, the game just doesn't have the magic it used to.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Edit: Oh and while it's hard to resist the temptation to torment.... even I wouldn't go there (Vanguard)

I've had the same exact problem! I haven't played many MMOs (FFXI, tried wow and some other free ones). I had been playing FFXI for over 3 years and got bored of it quit for about 6 months and decided to go back to FFXI. After just a few more months I was bored of it again and quit. Now I am not going back no matter what and I didn't like WoW much at all.

I need Hero's Journey or something to come out soon or I'm going to go crazy. x_x

I see you haven't tried LotRO, but since it's a rather obvious Choice, I guess you have good Reason not to.
Anyway, I played (before and) at Launch and I enjoyed it. RP was nice there, as far as I can tell from my very limited Experience. The Game's admittedly shallow, though, and I was done very quickly, but it may bring you Respite for a Month or two.

Looks like Age of Conan was the next hopeful Candidate... :|

Oh, and I recently got an EMail that Irth Online was going Free-to-play. ... ...hold on. Forget that I mentioned it. :eek:

I'm very selective when it comes to games in general but with MMOs I'm even more so. I've looked at hundreds of MMOs trying to find one that I will like FFXI was an "ok" choice for me and I liked it ok but it was never that good. Hero's journey is really the only MMO I have ever been really excited about, I just hope it's as good (or better) than I expect it to be.

Don't ever think a game will live up to all your dreams or you'll be in for disappointment. Not trying to be a downer there! But dreams go beyond possibilities. You can just hope that, while HJ doesn't fill all the possibilities in your mind, it will direct you to more that you hadn't thought about.

As for games to play.. I think it would be neat if a group of us started playing one of those free titles as a team. Otherwise, I also agree WoW isn't a bad game and the Moon Guard server does still have some rp going. I am still a firm believer that Age of Conan is sexist. Largely based off of screenshots and the fact that everything Conan related has seemed sexist. I'll be trying it out at least though since I promised Vahsyl that I would..>.>;

EQ2 is a solid game. I won't deny that but even with all the new expansions, I feel it has an entry barrier for people who are just starting the game. And there are two things that bug me that I can't shake. I can't stand the character models and there are just too many zones.

Strangely, due to it's nature, WoW has a very low entry barrier. You can pretty much start right now and you wouldn't be in that much of a disadvantage in comparison to the vets. But the lack of RP (I tried Moon Guard and Thorium Brotherhood servers and yes there is RP but it's minimal) and the annoying habit of Blizzard trying to funnel their players into instances turn me off. Otherwise it's a beautiful game with some great features.

Age of Conan is just too much. I mean I hear your character starts the game as a slave. Men are physical labor slaves and women are...well, not a great way to attract women players.

Hero's Journey is one of the most intriguing fantasy MMO in development right now but the delays are frustrating.

There is one other MMO that's sparked my interest and that's one being developed by 38 Studios. It's got some serious talent and financial backing but again, it's a long long ways off before we even see alpha screenshots.

I'm very selective when it comes to games in general but with MMOs I'm even more so. I've looked at hundreds of MMOs trying to find one that I will like FFXI was an "ok" choice for me and I liked it ok but it was never that good. Hero's journey is really the only MMO I have ever been really excited about, I just hope it's as good (or better) than I expect it to be.

If FFXI was casual friendly, I would have played it when it launched here. Pity it was completely hardcore.

My wife and I just restared in EQ2 since we are gaming addicts and can't bear to be without.

If anyone else wants to get started all over again, we'd love to team up. We're on the Lucan RP server and each of us has a large number of young toons (we're also alt-aholics) over in Freeport/Neriak/Timorous Deep.

If you're interested, drop me a private message here (even though I don't post much, I usually drop by every day or two) or send an message in EQ2 to Katerwaul or Pokol.

Here's another vote for LOTRO. My 'bridge-mmo' until the coming of greater worlds to frolic in. I'm having a lot of fun on the 'unofficial' RP server. Mostly great people and some great guilds which have provided some of the best RP experiences I have found in a graphical mmo thus far... But you didn't say anything about RP, did you? ;)

LOTRO is a coattail mmo, riding on wow's successes, but it is fun. My alt-aholism is in full fury there and with each new toon I find the newbie experience fun (6-20+ at least - once you get past the beginning instances - there are 2).

Lotr is worth a run from start to finish, imo.

EQ2... if you're having trouble finding people low end then you need Crushbone, Antonia Bayle servers. IF you want roleplay then get to AB or Lucan. A lot more RP orientated and less d00ds on Lucan from my experience, but AB is much much heavier population. Nagafen has a huge pvp population I hear. Also, EQ2 has always been one of those that you can solo through a lot of content so expect soloing at all lvls to some extent. And speak up in channels for those hero quests you can't solo.

... I'm rambling. Back to gaming. =) You can find me as Rakali on AB or my new baby on Lucan, Kethree.

Don't ever think a game will live up to all your dreams or you'll be in for disappointment. Not trying to be a downer there! But dreams go beyond possibilities. You can just hope that, while HJ doesn't fill all the possibilities in your mind, it will direct you to more that you hadn't thought about

I didn't really mean that I hope it is everything I would ever want a game to be but I hope that it will be what I expect it to be or better. I'm not expecting it to be perfect... not even close but I am expecting it to be a good game, better than most (all) MMOs out right now. :D2

The only MMO I've had the patience (and time) to play has been Lunia. Which was recommended from another Hall member.
Just a fun action MMO with an anime feel.
I'm up for joining an MMO and guild with members here, I just don't want to play to pay =D

I got EQ2 and it's really fun. It's so much better than FFXI much more fun quests, less grinding (I haven't even had to do any grinding so far). The world is also more creative but the biggest improvement is the fact that 90% of the people on the server aren't complete ***holes like they were in FFXI. (At least in my experience).

Good game all in all I think it will most likely last be until HJ comes out even if thats not for another year.

Lunia was fun, though it started to resemble a grind later on.

I liked how it was easy to jump into, though, with no lead-up or grind required to have instant fun.

Lotr is worth a run from start to finish, imo.

EQ2... if you're having trouble finding people low end then you need Crushbone, Antonia Bayle servers. IF you want roleplay then get to AB or Lucan. A lot more RP orientated and less d00ds on Lucan from my experience, but AB is much much heavier population. Nagafen has a huge pvp population I hear. Also, EQ2 has always been one of those that you can solo through a lot of content so expect soloing at all lvls to some extent. And speak up in channels for those hero quests you can't solo.

... I'm rambling. Back to gaming. =) You can find me as Rakali on AB or my new baby on Lucan, Kethree.

*flies her little AB flag*

Hm, well, I don't know about right this moment, but I do know that a number of months ago, we had LDL folks transferring to AB in droves because, as they all seemed to say, LDL had little to no RP, and especially no open RP. I hope its improved, but that's just what I'd been told by LDL refugees back when they allowed free transfers.

I love love love AB. Oh, the d00dz are out there, but the RP is out there in full-force. Other than the RP being mostly Freeport-dominant, I have little trouble finding it. In fact, sometimes I'm overloaded with it! :^O

I've found Lucan's roleplay to be more by design. I often see guilds or individuals shouting for assistance to fill roles for some scene they're doing. And most people in chats keep more to char but not fully in char.

AB, been there since day one and it's well... majorly overpopulated. Some nights it's just too dang laggy to play on it (thanks to Kunark). FP is heavy in rp and I'm told Qeynos is but my alts sure can't find it there. There are weekly and monthly rp gatherings at some bars, mostly Kelethin that I could discover. Lovely thing is that I can sit my provisioner in Blood Haze bar and craft while watching hours of roleplay. Like renting a movie sometimes. heh

I had a high elf paladin on AB before I gave up on the game back when Faydwer went live. Didn't get very far. I want to say around level 15 or 16. The game was fun but all the zoning really killed it for me. And because I started relatively late, I felt like I had to play a lot of catch up.

If Sony decides to combine a lot of EQ2s zones, I might reconsider. Otherwise, it's WoW until HJ shows up (or Bioware).

I'm old school. Where I come from, games always had zoning. Even MUDs have them of sorts (granted, more rpish).

So what about zoning kills it for you? It's 10 seconds of looking at artwork, where I get to plan my next move, consider my choices. No more than a hiccup in roleplay or non-rp mechanics. Even WoW has it's zones. Daoc. Guild Wars. L2. EQ. AC. Lotr. SWG. PS. PBS. Really.... HJ will as well.

Back