Never to Have Loved At All

Another of my extraordinarily long fics…

As you guys know, I haven’t been on for quite a while, but I decided tonight that I was going to write a story because I feel so bad for not having written a thing! So, even though I’m a little rusty, here it goes…

Never to Have Loved At All

Disclaimer; I do not own any of the aspects or affiliates of Alias, those rights belong solely to JJ. However, if you would like to copy this story or use it in some way, please contact me via here or email.

Summary; It is better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all. Or so they say.

-As this story begins, we see our heroine with—wait a second, that’s not Michael Vaughn!
-Maybe we should say how she got to this point first, narratorio.
-Oh, fine. I just thought—
-Just get on with the story.
-Alright.

“Sydney, you’ve been missing for almost two years.”

This sentence made her heart stop every time she replayed that scene in her mind. What was it that made it seem so unreal? Everything—well, almost everything was the same the night she woke up in Hong Kong. Alright, her father was in prison and her lover was married. Other than that…

Oh, who was she kidding? Her world had been flipped upside down, with her outside of its orbit. Last night she had gone to bed after throwing back her usual tequila with Weiss. This morning she woke up with a pounding headache, as usual, and the desperate urge to kill herself. Why hadn’t her captors given her that release? That, she thought to herself, would have at least been the humane thing to do. Not waking up next to Vaughn the way she was supposed to everyday, it just killed her. It ate her up, and she could do nothing but sit around and watch him be happy with… her. Her who had taken Vaughn away from Sydney… her… Sydney had tried to blame Lauren for her troubles, but she couldn’t seem to find that handle. Lauren was… good. That’s all there was to it.

Sydney went through her usual morning ritual, pulling on her habitual black suit, slicking her short dark hair back into some sort of ponytail, and looking in the mirror at the scar on her stomach. She had twirled this little mystery over and over in her head time and time again, but to no avail. Had she been pregnant? Had someone removed a vital organ? No one had addressed the issue yet. She had the feeling they had been afraid to find out the truth. And in all honesty, she was right there with them.
Walking in to the CIA building that morning, she hurried over to Lauren’s desk.

“Hey, any word from Vaughn?” It was only after these words left her lips that she saw the bloodshot eyes and tear-streaked face turned towards her. Lauren quickly wiped her eyes on her sleeve. “No, there, um, they haven’t located him yet.” She jumped out of her chair as though electrocuted and hurried off in a completely opposite direction, Sydney catching a choked sob now and then. She stared at the floor for a moment, and when she looked up, she found her father and Weiss staring down at her.

“Sydney, Marshall said the locators Vaughn had in all his clothing only had a life of six days. After that, there’s very little chance they’re still transmitting a signal.” Sydney caught her breath and sniffled. Weiss began to look uncomfortable, while Jack’s glare continued to bore into his daughter. “Sydney, if you know where he might be…”

“Look, I don’t know! He could have wandered off into godforsaken territory in hell for all I know!” Sydney exploded as the words came tumbling out of her mouth. “Vaughn decided to play the hero and got himself into this mess! Go back to doing your jobs and leave me alone!” Hands defiantly dropped by her side, Sydney looked around to see the entire ops center silent as a grave. Even Marshall had looked up from his gizmos when she had started shouting. Just as quickly as everyone had stopped, though, they started right up again.

“Sydney, I know this has been tough, but you’ve got to pull yourself together. If you don’t, then we’ve got no chance of finding Vaughn.” Sydney nodded, and together, the three started talking out their plan. Eventually, Lauren joined the little group and listened in for a few moments before piping up.

“Sydney, I want to help you find him.”
~me :angel2:

ELLE! YOUR'E BACK! YOU'RE BACK! YOU'RE BACK!!! :kicking: I've missed your writing!!! :smiley: so glad that you're back. now back on topic. That was great :D it's surprising how Lauren isn't blaming Sydney for Vaughn being all stabbed and all, or does she not know? hmmm? :thinking: oh and Lauren, so not good :P good to have you back! hope you write more soon!
--Mandy :angelic:

YAY ELLE YOU'RE BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!! GREAT START!!!!!!!!!!! I HOPE THEY FIND VAUGHN! PM ME WHEN MORE'S UP

~Moriel

Who said this had anything to do with the latest ep? Maybe that isn't the angle I'm going for at all! *eyes twinkle evilly* hehehe

I actually didn't help co-write Coming Home. That was spywolf's story. Actually, ours is called Untitled. It's an Alias/Daredevil crossover. And I have another chapter!

Part 2

“Sydney, I want to help you find him.”

Sydney stared at the woman, jaw dropped to the floor, before responding.

“What?”

“I want to help you find Michael. I’ve sat around here longer than I should have.”

“But… you’re not field rated.”

“No one has to know that.” Sydney couldn’t believe it. The woman, the very embodiment of rules and regulation wanted to break about fifty (most of which Sydney herself had broken) in order to get back the man she loved. Sydney recognized this scenario. She had acted it out several times before, and suddenly she found herself empathizing with Lauren.

“Alright, fine. But first I want proof that you can hold your own. Because if things get rough where we’re going, fallen members get left behind.” Sydney could tell she hadn’t fazed Lauren, or if she had, then she had done a very good job of hiding it.

“I’ll meet you at the shooting range in twenty minutes,” Lauren said crisply. She turned on her heel and marched away, a new energy radiating from her. Sydney watched her go, shaking her head sadly as she turned back to her father and Weiss. “Well, I guess Vaughn’s going to be a widower sooner than he thinks.”

When Sydney got to the low ceiling room with gray walls and cubicles for individual practice, she found Lauren wearing sweat pants and a workout tank top.

“Ready to begin?” Lauren said quickly as she picked up the 9 mm. But Sydney held up her hand and handed Lauren a gun she had never seen before.

“Try this on for size. That’s the weaponry we’ll be using on this—mission. If you can handle it properly, I’ll know whether or not to bring you along.” Lauren looked pained at the thought, but brought her safety goggles tightly down over her eyes and securely fastened her earphones to block out the sound. She fired the first round, jolting back a little at the strength of the weapon, but continued without hesitation. After firing twenty rounds, she pressed a button and slowly, a paper outline of a human came forward, revealing one large hole in the center where the stomach would be and three smaller holes in the head. Sydney nodded, apparently satisfied.

“Fine. Suit up, meet me at the tarmac in two hours.”

Sydney looked at her watch. Where is she?, she thought to herself. It had been almost two hours and Lauren still hadn’t shown. Within a few minutes, however, Sydney heard Lauren call her name and, coming from the other side of the plane with a brief case and a small rolling suitcase, heels marching on the hot pavement, she smiled at Sydney. Sydney didn’t return the smile, and instead stepped on to the plane and took a seat next to Weiss. Disheartened, Lauren took a seat near the front. Sydney turned to Weiss.

“What did he ever see in her?” she said, barely bothering to keep her voice down. “Well, she was nice when they met. I think she reminded him of—you,” Weiss said, faltering. “After all, you two are a lot alike.” For the rest of the flight, Sydney pretended to sleep, pondering over the similarity, or lack thereof, between her and Lauren. Lauren did have a certain stubbornness, a certain hot temper, and she truly loved a certain someone. Lots of certains. Not enough to really draw a parallel though.

Soon, too soon in Sydney’s opinion, the plane touched down. The small party consisting of Sydney, Lauren, Weiss and Jack disembarked, and soon they were walking through the Brazilian national airport. Lauren was dressed as an American Airlines flight attendant; Jack and Weiss were deep in conversation about the business they worked for that didn’t exist, and Sydney had on a school girl’s plaid skirt rolled up about ten inches above her knee, fishnet kneehighs, a black tank top with red bra, and a black wig streaked with red. The four had broken up once they had disembarked and took separate cabs, meeting up at the one hotel room they had rented with two beds.

“Ms. Bristow, I do believe you could have been a little less conspicuous,” Lauren snapped as she threw her hat on the bed and sat down on the edge. “After all, we are supposed to be under cover!”

“Sydney is known for her elaborate disguises. You would, however, have known that if you would have read her extensively thick undercover file,” Jack cut in smoothly. To cover her shame, Lauren pretended to pick at a hangnail.

“Alright, while I was waiting for a cab, a guy came up to me and started flirting with me. A security guard, to be exact. While we were talking, he happened to mention that he had heard whenever the Brazilian government takes someone into custody, they’re put under maximum security until they can be identified. Which means we need to find out where they’ve got him and form a plan of action,” Sydney finished breathlessly. Lauren and Weiss nodded in understanding, and Jack grunted. Sydney and Lauren knew this was going to be hard, but the hardest part was yet to come.

hehe now they have to work with each other :D that's gonna be like the greatest part to read :lol: and i'm still convinced that Lauren's.... well evil ;) pst. you should kill Lauren now before it's too late *evil cackle* :lol: and Sydney and her 'elaborate' disguises. works evertime ;) great chapter Elle! more soon!
--Mandy :angelic:

Great chapter thx for the PM!
That was funny how Jack told Lauren off about Syd's clothes!
Keep up the good work
Ill be wantin another PM!
-sparky-

I'm glad to know you guys are enjoying this story. Unfortunately, I wrote the next chap at school, but I'll write try to write one tonight as well so maybe tomorrow night you guys will have a double whammy. And I will try my best to PM! Keep on reviewing!

Back