Payback

Cai

Cadet
Title: Payback
Author: Me! (Cai)
Ship: Syd/Vaughn
Summary: Takes place in Season 3. Sydney's reached her breaking point and she wants payback.
Disclaimer: I own nothing… Yadda yadda yadda.
A/N: Payback's a b****. And so is Lauren. So as anyone would, I took the opportunity to kill her when I could! So this is my entry for the Death Fic contest… Enjoy. Hopefully. :thinking:

<span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'>
Payback​
</span>

She's being selfish, but she doesn't care. She shouldn't be doing this. It's wrong. But she's a mile past the line separating morality and immorality, and she no longer gives a damn.

They are the epitome of perfection.

They were the epitome of perfection, she corrects herself. But they no longer are, and she was to blame. This was her payback.

She doesn't pause to think what good could possibly come out of this. Doesn't think, just acts. Actions speak stronger than the power of words do right now, and her sense of dignity won't allow her to stoop to the level of b****y catfights with her lover's wife.

Ex-lover, she corrects herself. He was no longer hers, just as she was no longer his. Tonight was the night she'd reclaim him as her own.

She drives in a drunken stupor, cutting through the late-hour traffic of Los Angeles like wild fire. It's well past eleven at night, but she doesn't try and stop herself. Her heart has a mind of it's own; nothing can stop her tonight. She has her mind set on what she has come for, and fully intends to get it.

The tears stain her cheeks; a visible, but temporary mark of the pain they've caused her. Vaughn and Lauren both. But as hard as she tries, she's unable to direct her anger towards him, so it all comes crashing down upon Lauren.

Lauren. Her tongue spits out the name with unrelenting ferocity, her mind reels with disgust. She was the woman who robbed her of all she had ever lived for. Every waking moment, it was all for him. She lived, she breathed; he was the reason she fought. She stole that from her. She stole that from her with a petty flick of her pretty blonde hair, a carefully placed touch with her delicate fingers on skin that she had once claimed as her own.

And he had succumbed. However reluctantly he and she both try to convince themselves, he still succumbed to her seduction. Michael Vaughn is weak, her mind spits, but her heart fights off any negativity her mind presents. Her death was what weakened him, brought him to his knees and to his breaking point.

Now it's her turn, because she too, has reached her breaking point, and there is no turning back.

She takes a wild turn, ignorant to the assault of honking horns and shouts of profanity she receives. Her mind is set, and she'll get what she wants under any costs.

It's all the same to her.

Every intersection, every mission, every risk. It's all the same. She always manages to escape death with only a minor graze, and this she takes for granted. It's become all too easy for her, and she yearns for a distraction. Something worth putting her mind to, to take away the pain that has taken a permanent residency in her being. But she finds none.

So she's setting herself one.

She's giving herself something to do, some form of a purpose that will serve as the fuel to get her up each and every day.

The fuel he once provided her.

~

Any day now. Any day now, it'll be okay. She'll make things okay for the both of them. She takes it upon herself to do so. If he won't do so, she will.

Half an hour of mindlessly threading her way through the streets brings her to a stop outside a block of small, homely townhouses. They're almost identical, lined up neatly beside one another in an orderly, well-kept fashion, and she smiles in a mockery of their attempt at symmetric lives; every day people with their every day jobs.

But they're not every day people.

It's child's play, she makes herself believe, as she exited the car and crossed the street in a haze. The bright orange pyramid block was never made to fit into the space for the cube. It didn't fit. But they fit. Vaughn and Sydney. Sydney and Vaughn. One was the equivalent of the other. She laughed aloud as she stopped outside their home, struggling a little under the influence of alcohol to stand upright. Lauren was delusional to think they would ever work...

She stumbles her way across their immaculate front lawn to their doorstep, fingers fumbling for the doorbell. The overly cheerful chime of the doorbell reverberates throughout the house, as she impatiently waits for the door to be answers.

One second.

Two seconds.

Three seconds pass, and she's frustrated, her hand reaching up to assault the doorbell. She can hear the sound of rushed footsteps moments later, and the door flings open within a matter of seconds.

"Syd?"

He stares at her with surprise, yet she offers him a smile like this is nothing out of the ordinary. But hell, in their position, when is anything not lacking normality?

"What are you-" He's able to stammer, before the wife appears behind him, draping her arms around his neck like the *h**e she is.

She takes aim.

She's reached her breaking point, and this was her payback.

The End

:Paranoid:

Word count: 854

Oh wow, that was so great Cai, it's a shame you can't carry on just to see what Vaughn's reaction was! But I really loved it, and hey I was first :number1:

Sabella xxx

cai, my dear...

epitome of perfection (were), vaughn's weakness, ex-lover, some form of a purpose, distraction, succumbed, , breaking point and lastly payback.

those are just the words that i encountered while reading this fic that made me say 'wow'. you know those times when you end up shaking your head because of amazement? your jaw drops and you are rendered speechless. the words that just come out from your mouth are senseless. you end up producing weird sounds, or ever stutter. sometimes the word WOW it explains everything.

that's my reaction. <span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>WOW.</span>

the whole fic is filled with angst. it explains how much pain and stuggle sydney felt and experienced and you my dear cai have managed to fully write about it. her thoughts, emotions and sense of purpose. amazingly written. sometimes, we the readers wonder where does the author gather the inspiration to write such brilliant stories that are bottled with such emotions. i mean sweetie, this is angst! and you write it so well. i am truly amazed.

amazed in a good way. or i think i should rather use the word 'awe'.

next, i love how you put a one liner after a descriptive paragraph that acts like a conclusion to the previous sentences. i mean, i love that. i really do. its like, you have all this witty descriptions and elaborations of a certain idea, and then the next line sums it all up in one sentence. sometimes, your one liner negates that which you have previously described. and its awesome.

conclusion, you should write more stories cai. coz you are a terrific writer.

all in all, i bet its needless to say that i loved it!!! coz i really did. it was fantastic sweetie!

:woot: (y) :coolthumb: :notworthy: :hug: :throb:--> these are the smileys that best describes my review.

Payback. you gotta love that word. great job cai, great job. ill say it again, great job. :hug:

blue_bird said:
cai, my dear...

epitome of perfection (were), vaughn's weakness, ex-lover, some form of a purpose, distraction, succumbed, , breaking point and lastly payback.

those are just the words that i encountered while reading this fic that made me say 'wow'. you know those times when you end up shaking your head because of amazement? your jaw drops and you are rendered speechless. the words that just come out from your mouth are senseless. you end up producing weird sounds, or ever stutter. sometimes the word WOW it explains everything.

that's my reaction. <span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>WOW.</span>

the whole fic is filled with angst. it explains how much pain and stuggle sydney felt and experienced and you my dear cai have managed to fully write about it. her thoughts, emotions and sense of purpose. amazingly written. sometimes, we the readers wonder where does the author gather the inspiration to write such brilliant stories that are bottled with such emotions. i mean sweetie, this is angst! and you write it so well. i am truly amazed.

amazed in a good way. or i think i should rather use the word 'awe'.

next, i love how you put a one liner after a descriptive paragraph that acts like a conclusion to the previous sentences. i mean, i love that. i really do. its like, you have all this witty descriptions and elaborations of a certain idea, and then the next line sums it all up in one sentence. sometimes, your one liner negates that which you have previously described. and its awesome.

conclusion, you should write more stories cai. coz you are a terrific writer.

all in all, i bet its needless to say that i loved it!!! coz i really did. it was fantastic sweetie!

:woot: (y) :coolthumb: :notworthy: :hug: :throb:--> these are the smileys that best describes my review.

Payback. you gotta love that word. great job cai, great job. ill say it again, great job. :hug:
[post="1405002"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

:jawdrop:

gee gee...

*tackles you to the ground and showers you with hugs* :woot:

*shakes head* my gosh, gee gee... WOW! your reviews are so.. fantastically amazingly awesome, and i can never thank you enough! thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you! :cry: i dont know what to say.. just thank you!! *is overwhelmed* ARRRGH! (happy argh! :P) :hug:

SkyGirl5 said:
LOVE IT so true too

great job cai :hug:
[post="1405004"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

wow.. its janet! :woot: sorry to freak you out.. you're just.. famous-like! :lol: but thank yooou!

wow! That was great! The way in which you've depicted Syd was just so surreal, I mean that in a good way; it is exactly what Sydney would of felt and probably what she would of dreamt of doing. And it would good how in the end you mentioned Lauren as only 'the wife' as contrast to the earlier refrences of Lauren which, to me, just emphasised how insignificant she is and that Sydney just kinda swept her aside like an object that was in the way.
Thanks for the PM, sorry my reply isn't as great as your story deserves, I am never good with words ^_^

Wow, this fic has left me speechless. Well not totally but the inital reaction was certainly speechless but I've picked up my thoughts and here they are.

It's powerful, intense, full of angst and so perfectly written.

It's a perfect one-parter. I love the stories when you feel like you want more but you love how your mind reacts to not having more. If that makes sense. I love how I'll keep thinking about what Vaughn would be like, what would happen to Sydney, it kind of stays with me long after I read it.

This story is so full of emotion. You've captured Sydney's feelings so well. I love angst and this is some good ol' angst. This is fabulous angst, if angst could be fabulous, which it obviously can.

Well I'm not a very good reviewer but I just needed to try and review this even though I think it came off as rambling. I love this fic and definitely look forward to reading more stuff by you.

Erica

OMG!!
Cai this is fantastic!
It's really well written.
I loved it!
Lauren was definately a good person to kill.
I really want more though, so is a shame it's only a one parter :(
Thanx for the pm

You're my freakin' hero.

:notworthy:

Love that you're writin' again!!!!!

Great, awesome, fantastic, I can't think of much more because I'm under the influence of sugar.

Loved it. I can't say that enough! Loved itttttt! LOVE IT! Present tense ^_^

This ought to be a winner! :smiley:

Okay, I have to go prepare for the Wrath of the Cousins.

Lots o' loooooove

Laurrrr

the juju will make you choke on your pie again once she reviews this pwoperly... at the moment, the juju can only say that she's looking forward to reading it (y)

Sorry it took me so long to read :blush: But this was WONDERFUL!!!!

I'm not a big fan of the whole "dead thing" but this was written sooooo well!!!

I especially loved the line
She stumbles her way across their immaculate front lawn to their doorstep, fingers fumbling for the doorbell. The overly cheerful chime of the doorbell reverberates throughout the house, as she impatiently waits for the door to be answers.

That was sooo good.

YAY Cai!!! wait... i need better. *gets pom poms*

*cheers* YAY CAI!

I know this isnt the place but i just read this
My list of incredibly uncool un-idol-worthy people:
- Channel 7
- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon (I'm sorry, he just... Annoys me! ARRRGH!)

How can you not like Apu!!!! Are you crazy?! At least say you liek Ralph, I'm afriad I can never talk to you again if you don't like Ralph.

Back