PlayStation 3: Death of Sony

I concur. The amount of negativity I see getting thrown at the PS3 flies directly in the face of what has already been experienced with the PS1 and PS2, ie: consoles are a marathon played-out over five years or more. People seem to get their panties in a bunch and are unable to recover from the "shock" when a console doesn't have 25 amazing titles on debut and prematurely conclude that it will apparantly be like that for the rest of eternity, despite the PS1 and PS2 already showing that won't be the case at all.

At the end of the race, I think you'll see the PS3 on top of the heap. I really do. And no, I'm not a Sony fanboi. I don't own a PS3 and I don't even know when I will... probably when Leo moves to Australia permanantly, or something, but regardless the date isn't carved in stone and I'm not a fanboi for it in the slightest. I'm just working off what we know historically of console sales, and PS sales specifically.

I'm seeing a different picture. I think Nintendo will take 51% of the game market in the 5 year run. With the Wii, DS, and most developers under their banner toward a more hardcore graphics machine coming within that time.
I also believe the 360's proven thus far that their hardware was hardcore in comparison to what followed a year later. In all honesty for the comparitive shopper the PS3 doesn't have anything exclusive that'll make the 360 look like ---- and by saving up to 400 bucks going with the 360. I think they've kept a firm market.
PS3 on top? Naw, I see the grounds becoming dead even with Nintendo taking the edge in profit and market.

I don't think the Wii will be a very appealing purchase five years from now. It's a bit of fun now, but it's the inferior machine in the bunch and its shortcomings versus the Other Two will become more and more apparant as time goes by.

I really hate the competition between consoles... I wish the "fight" was between game developers instead.. not the hardware developers.

I just love to play the games, but I wont afford it if I have to buy three consoles to cover the game market... but then again, as the "war" is on the hardware instead, all games will be released on all three consoles anyway (with a few Wii-mote game exceptions).

...and, IF I had to pick one of them, I would take Wii. I wouldn't survive without Zelda and Luigi (thats right, NOT mario, hehe).. alltho, assassins creed do look cool...!

*head explode*

PS3 is looking better just because it has so many of my favorite series'. If I want Mario and Zelda I have a GC.

Well Wii's got it made in the shade because it's cheap and it's all cutesy... so it attracts the Nintendo fanbois straight off the bat, and then a broad selection of both XBox and PS3 buyers ON TOP of that, as they will broadly agree to buy the cheaper Wii rather than one of the other more expensive consoles as time goes by.

Very true. That is where Microsoft and sony went wrong. They let their pride get in front of marketing skills.

Well, I wouldn't say that... the Wii is cheap and cheerful at the expense of being a true next-gen console. It's good, don't get me wrong, but if you want to line them all up, it's technically inferior to the other two by a long shot. What I'm getting at is that there IS a reason why you pay more for the others.

Yes, but it makes for bad compition because all us cheap bastrds buy what's cheapest. 600 Dollars is also way too high a price. I'd rather get 900 more and buy a computer.

You know the PS3 will also become cheaper and cheaper as time goes by. Not everyone who owns a PS2 right now bought it during its opening month for full price, either...

I didn't. I own two. One got water in it and we dare to test it not.
I'm getting it used when it gets cheaper.

No, just look around, like I said, and see how people bought their PS2's. The majority, I would wager, bought them after at least one or more significant prices drops, and the machine being on the street for 12-24 months. So why should PS3 sales be any different? The gaming media, and those who believe in it too heavily, seem to want to conclude that the systems a failure based on the sales results *now*. I'd much rather look back in five years time and review the machine fairly, based on its life, not just the variances in the market right here, right now. And you know what? Maybe it WILL be a failure, but I'd only be comfortable calling it one after looking back and calling it like it was, rather than trying to create a self-fulfilling prophecy -- somehting the media really loves to do.

Sony's already working on getting a new location to make the machines other than in Japan. It's cheaper for third world labor obviously and now that the chip is more massly produced and they can do so in their own facilities other than IBM's, that'll knock the cost down to about what the 360 goes for now. 360 will probably get a price drop when they drop Halo 3. SMOOTH move if you ask me.
On top of that the online market is hot. What's hot tho' is the fact PS3 and Nintendo are STILL WAY WAY WAY behind on building a virtual community in comparison to the 360.

There's just one lil' variable I think will change it all and still keep my prediction of a Nintendo dominance and a new system within the next 5 years.

Po.. KE.. Mon.. Online trading, battles, and even story modes. Come on, can you even consider a better console MMO game? I HATE the show, but man the games are the sh'at'ner'Will'yam. BOYNG!

Online play is picking up. The Wii being WiFi out of the box was a smooth move too.

Back