Season 5 Prophet 5 Review

snowhite

Columnist
If I had the chance love, I would not hesitate, To tell you all things I never said before, Don’t tell me its too late. What is the “Dirty Little Secret” that lies between Jack and Sydney? Jack would do anything to protect his daughter and now he needs to protect an extended family, the father of Sydney’s baby and his grandchild. Sydney’s loyalty, yes lies with her country, but even more so with the people she loves. Like Jack, in an instant she would not hesitate to put those she cares about most, ahead of her professionalism as a CIA operative. So the question is, is Vaughn alive?

Back to the song again, which was very pertinent to the emotion and message of the death and funeral scenes. When every back is turned, Their telling secrets that should never be revealed, There is nothing to be gained from this, But disaster. There was no dialogue between Jack and Sydney but the exchanging glances at the hospital and the funeral delivered the message better than any words that could have been spoken. Their eyes showed the deepness of the love between and father and daughter and the protection of a father for his family.

As we are accustomed to over the past five years, Jack has a difficult time expressing his love for Sydney. He never comes` right out and says it, but his actions after reading between the lines, has demonstrated just how powerful his love is for Sydney. He has often done it in strange ways. Like training his daughter to be a spy at the age of six. Taking her choices away in life. But we have come to realize that he has done all of the things that are non traditional fatherly like because he is in fact protecting his daughter, Sydney. This mysterious nature is why we love Jack so much. So when Jack says “I will do everything I can to help you both.” We believe him. We believe him because we have become familiar with Jack’s protective nature. His long stare with Sydney as the coffin is being placed in the hearse, is not one of sadness but with a blink of his eyes he is assuring his daughter that everything will be ok. That whatever plan he has put in place will protect Sydney’s life and happiness, even though she will have to experience a short period of difficulty. He blinks the uncertainty out of Sydney. He holds her stare to reassure her. Sydney watches the coffin being placed in the hearse and then she looks to her father for support and he gives it to her.

“I hope you understand what you’ve done. Your heroic efforts to help Vaughn were short sided. You acted impetuously without the benefits of the facts.” It appears in this episode, all except Marshall, Weiss and Dixon needed the facts to believe that Vaughn is actually a good guy. Sydney explains to her father that he does not know what he is talking about and she is aware that Vaughn has been working with a known criminal. When Sydney responds to Jack’s question “What prompted you to risk your own life not to mention your professional integrity”, Jack realizes that his daughter did in fact make the right decision and put something more important before her own life and professional integrity and that is her unborn child. “Dad, Vaughn and I were having a baby. “There is an explanation for all of this if you let me tell you.” At that point Jack realizes his daughter needs his help.

Jack wastes no time in finding the truth to why Vaughn was gunned down. He explains to Sydney and Vaughn “Gordon Dean is a ghost. Well placed and well connected.” The three of them, Vaughn, Sydney and Jack realize that what they are dealing with is far more dangerous than any enemy they have faced in the past. Sydney’s response, “What are we going to do?” At this point in time, Sydney has put her life in Jack’s hands. Her life being the life of the father of her child, her life and the life of her unborn child. So the question on many minds, was the death scene a setup concocted by Jack with Sydney’s knowledge?

“Your not a bad guy are you?” Sydney, like Jack, questions Vaughn’s loyalty. She questions Weiss as to how Vaughn became her handler when she first walked into the CIA. It is Dixon who has to remind Sydney that you cannot pass judgment until you know all of the facts. Sydney tells Dixon, “What if I was wrong about him?” If have to think if Dixon did not remind Sydney of the night on the pier when she was stealing something from SD-6 and she asked him to trust her and he didn’t, would Sydney have turned Vaughn over to Gordon Dean? Remember she has been lied to by those closest to her for her entire life and it has affected her greatly, so she may have broken at this point in time if it had not been for Dixon. “You asked me to trust you, but I didn’t. The proof was right in front of me that you were a traitor. If I had to do it over again, I give you the benefit of the doubt. “ And poignantly, later in the episode Dixon does come through for Sydney when he gives her the plans to break into the safe.

The setup of scenes between Mexico City and the drop off that Vaughn was expecting was exciting. As a viewer, I was almost thinking that Sydney may have given Vaughn up, especially since she told Vaughn on the phone that she would have to think about it. Instead of just leaving the watch, she faces Vaughn to find out the truth. Dixon’s words ring true in that Vaughn does have a legitimate explanation for his actions and he asks Sydney for her help, which she does give him.

Right before Sydney leeps off a cliff she finds out she is pregnant. She does not have time to digest that facts that she not only has to watch out for her own life but the life of her unborn child. It is when she is at the hospital that she realizes that her life has changed. That it has become much more dangerous with Vaughn’s involvement with a new enemy. When she tells her father “Vaughn and I we are having a baby”, she is not only stating this fact because Vaughn is a big part of her life but now, but someone who she has not met yet, is depending on keeping him or her safe. That someone is her unborn child. That is why she does not hesitate to ask her father for help. That is why Jack does not waste a moment to find out the facts to help his family.

Again from the song, When every back is turned, Their telling secrets that should never be revealed, There is nothing to be gained from this, But disaster, remember Sydney faced disaster before when she divulged a secret that she should not have. Danny was the victim of that secret. She told Danny, her fiancé, that she worked for the CIA, which at that point in time was SD-6 and Sydney did not know it was not the CIA but a terrorist organization. Is Sydney and Jack’s secret that Vaughn is really alive and the death scene was a setup so that they can investigate who Gordon Dean works for while Vaughn recovers. Could it also be a setup to protect Sydney and the baby. If the bad guys think Vaughn is alive, this may put Sydney and the unborn child in harms way. The bad guys may use Sydney to extract information from Vaughn.

I have to comment on the acting. Garner, Vartan and Garber were superb. The scene between Garner and Vartan in the car discussing bringing a life into an already dangerous world was great. As viewer you had to be thinking that the characters were thinking this and Garner and Vartan did an excellent job in conveying this. The high note of the acting was between Garner and Garber. Boy this two can deliver a powerful scene without any dialogue and they did it twice. Once at the hospital and again at the church. Just, just powerful acting.

For action, the scene in cornfield was great. Garner never lets the skills of her alter ego slip. Sydney after being in a horrific car crash quickly realizes that the paramedics are not there to help her. Garner is the queen at expressions to convey to the viewer what the character is thinking. While she is running through the cornfield, Sydney is frightened and Garner makes this known. But as soon as she spots the enemy she quickly goes from the hunted to the hunter and again Garner’s facial expressions convey this. Cornfield scene was great. Great direction, great acting and great music in the background. In another words, great way to start off the season.

I always like to end with questions, however before I do this, I have to make a general comment about the episode as whole. While watching the episode, I was quickly brought back to the feeling of watching an episode from season 1 or 2. This episode had the same tempo, sharpness, edge of your seat, not knowing what to expect as the episodes from seasons 1 or 2 had. Although seasons 3 and 4 were good, seasons 1 and 2 were true Alias style and Prophet 5 had the same pop as the first two seasons. In fact, except for the pilot episode, I will have to say this was the best by far season premier Alias has to date. I hope the writers have rid the zombie like episodes and continue the season long story arc with less suspension of involuntary disbelief and more suspense between family and enemies. After watching Prophet 5 the Alias of old is back and I am glad.

Ok for the questions. Here they are:

1. Most obvious is Vaughn alive? I think so.
2. If Vaughn is alive, who else besides Sydney and Jack are in on it?
3. Did Sydney give something to Vaughn to drink to make it appear that he was dead? She certainly looked over her shoulder just so slightly waiting for the bells to go off.
4. What was the Cape Town villa Dixon, Weiss and Jack referring to when talking about Vaughn’s extraction (again this is why I also believe Vaughn is alive)?
5. Irina knew Vaughn was investigating Prophet 5, so how did she know this? What is her involvement?
6. And last but now least, why is Alias on at 8:00 p.m. Thursday night? Why are we not seeing an episode of Alias after Lost? After watching this first episode I truly believe this season is going to rock and it will be unfortunate that a lot of people will be hearing about it and not tuning it.

Thanks for the cast and crew at Alias for a rock solid episode.

Back