Season 5 Prophet 5 Ratings ...

Alias_Gay

Ensign
Got this from Alias-Media.com

Anonymous writes "ABCMEDIANET.com reports that last night's premiere was the most-watched series telecast in two years in it's time period.

Quick Take for Thursday, September 29, 2005 (Based on Fast Affiliate Ratings)

ABC Marks its Top Rated Thursday Among Adults 18-49 Since March

In its Fifth Season Premiere on its New Day and Time, "Alias" Delivers ABC's Most-Watched Series Telecast in the Time Period Since November 2003

Thursday Night (8:00-11:00 p.m.)
With the season premiere of "Alias" and the series debut of "Night Stalker," ABC's delivered its top non-sports Thursday among Adults 18-49 (2.3/6) in over 6 months - 3/17/05.

"Alias" (8:00-9:00 p.m.)
In its fifth season premiere on its new day and time, "Alias" generated ABC's largest audience (8.1 million) and top Adult 18-49 rating (2.4/7) since February - 2/24/05. In addition, "Alias" was ABC's most-watched series telecast in the time period in nearly 2 years - since 11/6/03.

* From its first to second half-hour, "Alias" grew its audience among viewers (8.0 million to 8.2 million) and young adults (2.3/7 to 2.5/7).

http://www.abcmedianet.com/pressrel/dispDN...ml?id=093005_01"

We all know the competition was gonna be hard ... but if you see at Zap2it.com ... "Alias" was the # 3 show at 8pm, and "Night Stalker" also kept ABC at # 3 ... (y)

CBS Rises Above Thursday Rivals
(Friday, September 30 08:33 AM)

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) Fast National ratings for Thursday, Sept. 30, 2005
All six networks can probably take something positive from Thursday's ratings, which featured a mad scramble for viewers, particularly early in the night. One thing remained constant, though: CBS won by a wide margin.

The Eye network averaged a 13.8 rating/22 share for the night, easily beating NBC's 7.4/12. ABC got decent performance from its two premieres to finish third at 4.9/8, and FOX took fourth with a 3.6/6. The WB's new Thursday lineup posted a solid 3.0/5, topping UPN's 2.4/4.

CBS also enjoyed the top spot among adults 18-49, finishing with a 7.0 rating in the demographic advertisers love. NBC, 4.9, was second, and FOX, 2.7, came in third. ABC averaged 2.3, The WB 2.0 and UPN 1.6.

"Survivor: Guatemala" ruled the 8 o'clock hour for CBS with a 10.5/17. NBC finished second with "Joey," 5.2/8, and the live season premiere of "Will & Grace," 6.5/10. "Alias" began its fifth season with a 5.4/9 for ABC, while "The O.C." was fourth for FOX. "Smallville" scored a 3.5/5 with its season premiere on a new night for The WB. "Everybody Hates Chris" (3.5/6) dipped some in its second week, combining with "Love, Inc." (2.3/4) to average 2.9/5 for UPN.

CBS increased its lead at 9 p.m. with "CSI," the night's most-watched show at 17.0/26. "The Apprentice" kept NBC in second, improving some over its premiere last week. ABC held onto third with the premiere of "Night Stalker," 4.8/7. "Reunion," 3.0/5, kept FOX in fourth, beating out the season premiere of "Everwood," 2.5/4, on The WB. UPN trailed with "Eve" and "Cuts."

At 10 p.m., the season opener for "Without a Trace" scored a 13.8/22 for CBS. "ER" averaged 9.4/15 for NBC, and ABC's "Primetime" came in at 4.3/7.

TOUGH competition + another MOVED timeslot + lower overall television viewership at 8pm + somewhat lack of advertisement

Alias did very VERY well in my opinion. ABC Execs are probably impressed.

Next week is gonna be the test. How many fans are leaving? I'm guessing for Alias to only pull in about 5 million viewers. I know that's erm, TERRIBLE by most standards, but I, who used to be OBSESSED with analyzing Alias ratings, have come to learn that, ya know what? It's 80% likely that this is the last ALIAS season. I LOVED the premiere and I thought the Vaughn death was an exciting and needed jolt to the series. As long as the writers keep putting out great episodes, I could care less if 10 people watched it. Just give us the last season and do it RIGHT!

well, it did 8.2 million which is a huge increase for ABC on thursday nights ... ABC use to only manage about 3.4 million viewers on a thursday night ... and from the beginning we knew it was gonna be a tough night ...

More ratings info:

SEPTEMBER 30, 2005
The Programming Insider

Marc Berman

Primetime Thursday Ratings:
CBS Wins; WB Impressive; UPN’s Everybody Hates Chris Loses Steam

Thursday 9/29/05
Metered Market Ratings

Note: The following overnights exclude the Houston, Miami and New Orleans markets.

Household Rating/Share
CBS: 14.8/22, NBC: 9.1/14, ABC: 5.6/ 8, WB: 3.8/ 6, Fox: 3.6/ 5, UPN: 3.0/ 4

Note: Percent change from the comparable year-ago period is excluded because Presidential campaign coverage aired on ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox.

----------

Fast Affiliate Ratings

-Total Viewers:
CBS: 21.82 million, NBC: 11.03, ABC: 7.07, Fox: 5.58, WB: 4.65, UPN: 3.91

-Adults 18-49:
CBS: 7.0/18, NBC: 4.9/13, Fox: 2.7/ 7, ABC: 2.3/ 6, WB: 2.0/ 5, UPN: 1.6/ 4

----------

-Yesterday’s Winners:
Survivor: Guatemala (CBS), Smallville (WB), Everybody Hates Chris (UPN), CSI (CBS), Without A Trace (CBS)

-Honorable Mention:
Will & Grace (NBC)

-Disappointing:
Alias (ABC), Reunion (Fox), Eve (UPN)

-Yesterday’s Losers:
Cuts (UPN), Primetime Live (ABC)

----------

-Ratings Breakdown:
Although CBS, as usual, remains the network to beat on Thursday, the story worth telling last night was on the WB, courtesy of the relocated Smallville. Veteran Smallville opened season five with an impressive 4.4/ 7 in the overnights (#4), 5.74 million viewers (#5) and a 2.6/ 7 among adults 18-49 (#4) at 8 p.m., beating the season-premiere of ABC’s relocated Alias by 8 percent in the demo (see below). Comparably, that was the best metered market rating for the WB in the Thursday 8 p.m. hour since the one-hour launch of sitcom Family Affair on Sept. 12, 2002. Versus two episodes (original and repeat) of former occupant Blue Collar TV on the year-ago evening (Overnights: #5, 3.0/ 4; Viewers: #6, 3.11 million; A18-49: #6, 1.3/ 4 on Sept. 30, 2004), that was an increase of a considerable 47 percent in the overnights, 2.63 million viewers and 100 percent among adults 18-49.

While retention for the WB’s Everwood at 9 p.m. (Overnights: #4t, 3.2/ 5; Viewers: #5, 3.57 million; A18-49: #5, 1.4/ 4) out of Smallville was modest at 73 percent in the overnights, 62 percent in total viewers and 54 percent among adults 18-49, it was still enough to outdeliver competing sitcoms Eve and Cuts on UPN. It was also the WB’s best overnight rating in the Thursday 9 p.m. hour with regularly scheduled programming since March 2003.

CBS dominated with its combination of Survivor: Guatemala (Overnights: #1, 10.6/16; Viewers: #1, 17.13 million; A18-49: #1, 5.6/16), CSI (Overnights: #1, 19.2/28; Viewers: #1, 27.20 million; A18-49: #1, 9.3/23) and the fourth-season premiere of Without a Trace (Overnights: #1, 14.6/23; Viewers: #1, 21.13 million; A18-49: #2, 6.5/17).

For the second consecutive week, UPN started out strong with Everybody Hates Chris at 8 p.m., but lost considerable steam in each of the following three half-hours. Take a look:

UPN/Thursday
8:00 p.m. Everybody Hates Chris
Overnights: 4.9/ 7 (#4), Viewers: 5.65 million (#5), A18-49: 2.3/ 7 (#5t)

8:30 p.m. Love, Inc.
Overnights: 2.8/ 4 (#6), Viewers: 3.79 million (#6), A18-49: 1.6/ 4 (#6)

9:00 p.m. Eve
Overnights: 2.4/ 3 (#6), Viewers: 3.46 million (#6), A18-49: 1.4/ 4 (#5t)

9:30 p.m. Cuts
Overnights: 2.1/ 3 (#6), Viewers: 2.75 million (#6), A18-49: 1.1/ 3 (#6)

As expected, erosion for Everybody Hates Chris was severe in week two, with a loss of 26 percent in the overnights (6.6/10 to 4.9/ 7), 2.13 million total viewers (7.78 to 5.65) and 28 percent among adults 18-49 (3.2/ 9 to 2.3/ 7). Even so, this is still a considerable improvement over former occupant WWE Smackdown!, and still worthy of a winner’s ranking. Let’s see what happens in week three.

With a weaker lead-in, week two of UPN’s Love, Inc. was down by 24 percent in the overnights (3.7/ 5 to 2.8/ 4), 820,000 million viewers (4.61 to 3.79 million) and 16 percent among adults 18-49 (1.9/ 5 to 1.6/ 4).

Although NBC’s competing Joey managed to beat Everybody Hates Chris, a still modest 6.3/10 in the overnights (#3), 7.49 million viewers (#3) and a 2.9/ 9 among adults 18-49 (#2t) means Matt LeBlanc should have his bags packed. The live eighth-season opener of lead-out Will & Grace fared considerably better at a second-place 8.4/12 in the overnights, 9.65 million viewers and a 4.2/11 among adults 18-49. Comparably, that was an improvement over Joey of 33 percent in the overnights, 2.16 million viewers and 45 percent among adults 18-49. Lead-outs The Apprentice 4 (Overnights: #2, 8.4/12; Viewers: #2, 10.34 million; A18-49: #2, 4.7/11) and ER (Overnights: #2, 11.4/18; Viewers: #2, 14.19 million; A18-49: #1, 6.6/18) from 9-11 p.m. remain marred by considerable year-to-year losses.

Over at ABC, season five of the relocated Alias kicked off with a disappointing 6.4/10 in the overnights (#3), 8.09 million viewers (#3) and a 2.4/ 7 among adults 18-49 (#5). Since the strength of Alias was always in the demos, let’s just say that a fifth-place finish among adults 18-49 is concerning (and thisclose to being labeled a loser). In the more competitive 9 p.m. hour, the debut of Night Stalker scored a third-place 5.5/ 8 in the overnights, 7.13 million viewers and a 2.7/ 6 among adults 18-49. While that is nothing to certainly boast about, it is still an improvement over year-ago occupant life as we know it, and up 12 percent from lead-in Alias in the demo.

At 10 p.m., ABC’s Primetime Live has not benefited opposite NBC’s fading ER, with a distant third-place 4.9/ 8 in the overnights, 6.00 million viewers and a 1.8/ 5 among adults 18-49.

Over at Fox, although Thursday anchor The O.C. (Overnights: #5, 4.0/ 6; Viewers: #4, 6.56; A18-49: #3, 3.1/ 8) was not negatively impacted by the arrival of ABC’s Alias, lead-out Reunion dipped to a series-low 3.2/ 5 in the overnights (#4t), 4.61 million viewers (#4) and a 2.3/ 6 among adults 18-49.

Source: Nielsen Media Research data

Again, I love how this dude who does the ratings CONTINUOUSLY finds a bad aspect for Alias. No seriously, look at that entire article. For other shows - he just lists their ratings. But for ALIAS, he writes a freaking paragraph on how it was "sooo disappointing" and "this close to being labeled a loser".

Dude. Get a life. Pick on some other show. Alias fans don't give two s**ts about that stuff.

Again, I love how this dude who does the ratings CONTINUOUSLY finds a bad aspect for Alias. No seriously, look at that entire article. For other shows - he just lists their ratings. But for ALIAS, he writes a freaking paragraph on how it was "sooo disappointing" and "this close to being labeled a loser".

Dude. Get a life. Pick on some other show. Alias fans don't give two s**ts about that stuff.

Yeah I know ... he always does dat ... hate his guts :angry:

While he did use negative language which was unnecessary, he does have a point. Usually Alias does very well in the demographics...it really didn't. And no matter of his negative undertones, the numbers don't lie.

You can't just say, "The numbers don't lie"

Oh, let's just throw Alias at 4pm on Mondays. Oh it only pulled in 2 million viewers? Well it just sucked then, right? I mean that's what the numbers say!

He didn't put ANY of the numbers into context.

"Everybody Loves Chris" only pulled in what, 7.8 million viewers in its premiere episode? Well the numbers say that it sucked. But when put in CONTEXT it was one of the most successful shows in UPN history.

Put Alias into context please. Just "the numbers" tell you....really....nothing.

TOUGH competition + another MOVED timeslot + lower overall television viewership at 8pm + somewhat lack of advertisement

Alias did very VERY well in my opinion. ABC Execs are probably impressed.

Next week is gonna be the test. How many fans are leaving? I'm guessing for Alias to only pull in about 5 million viewers. I know that's erm, TERRIBLE by most standards, but I, who used to be OBSESSED with analyzing Alias ratings, have come to learn that, ya know what? It's 80% likely that this is the last ALIAS season. I LOVED the premiere and I thought the Vaughn death was an exciting and needed jolt to the series. As long as the writers keep putting out great episodes, I could care less if 10 people watched it. Just give us the last season and do it RIGHT!

Agree with that whole post. As much as I would love Alias to continue, all good things must come to an end and 5 seasons is only 1 season short of how long I would have liked Alias to run.

Atleast beat the oc and picked up viewers as show went on

Thats a good point.

well, it did 8.2 million which is a huge increase for ABC on thursday nights ... ABC use to only manage about 3.4 million viewers on a thursday night ... and from the beginning we knew it was gonna be a tough night ...

haha - I never knew ABC aired thursday nights! ;)

I will watch till the end ... I am not giving up on "alias" ... I just cant wait to see where they go with the new characters ... ;)

I am not too, no matter what the ratings or cynics say. Bring on the new characters! (y) :woot:

You can't just say, "The numbers don't lie"

Oh, let's just throw Alias at 4pm on Mondays. Oh it only pulled in 2 million viewers? Well it just sucked then, right? I mean that's what the numbers say!

He didn't put ANY of the numbers into context.

"Everybody Loves Chris" only pulled in what, 7.8 million viewers in its premiere episode? Well the numbers say that it sucked. But when put in CONTEXT it was one of the most successful shows in UPN history.

Put Alias into context please. Just "the numbers" tell you....really....nothing.

Huh? :confused:

Sorry, I just don't get how those numbers are out of context. They're numbers, it's hard to take them out of context.

I mean, I think we all realize that numbers don't tell whether or not a show is good. Two of my favorite shows, Arrested Development and Scrubs don't get the ratings they deserve. They are fantastic shows, but their ratings suck.

That being the case, their numbers don't lie either. If only 2 million people watched that shows that not many people are interested and that it isn't doing well, rating wise. It definitely doesn't mean that the show quality is bad or anything like that...and I never implyed something like that with Alias.

No matter what you thought about the episode the numbers are there. You can't change those.

we definately need to wait till next week to find out the real numbers....

also when they do the ratings do they just look at ppl watching on thurs? cause the premier showed on sunday as well..so i mean if ppl cant watch on thurs they watch on sun.....

we definately need to wait till next week to find out the real numbers....

also when they do the ratings do they just look at ppl watching on thurs? cause the premier showed on sunday as well..so i mean if ppl cant watch on thurs they watch on sun.....

The premiere showed Sunday? Are you sure? If it did it must've been very early or quite late, because I watch ABC from 8pm-11pm most Sundays.

And if it did repeat in primetime then those numbers would be separate from the numbers on Thursday...the wouldn't add them together. Mainly because Sunday is an entirely different night of TV with different competition...and many of the people who watched on Thursday might've watched it again on Sunday, so you could count people twice if you added the ratings together.

well im in canada...so they showed it on abc on thurs last week plus they showed it again on sun evening at 4pm on some canadian channels....not sure if any of the american channels reran it.

so for them to decide if a show has enough ratings ppl have to watch it on abc on thurs? thats kind of silly though i mean they should add up the number of ppl that watched on sun or any other day they reran...

well im in canada...so they showed it on abc on thurs last week plus they showed it again on sun evening at 4pm on some canadian channels....not sure if any of the american channels reran it.

so for them to decide if a show has enough ratings ppl have to watch it on abc on thurs? thats kind of silly though i mean they should add up the number of ppl that watched on sun or any other day they reran...

It didn't repeat in the states. The only airing was Thursday night.

Of course they'd rate a repeat. Must of the summer is repeats and those get rated. But they wouldn't add them up. I oftentimes would watch a show when it originally aired and then later watched the repeat. Had I been part of a Neilson family, then me watching it would've been counted twice. Plus that isn't the original air date.

An important factor when looking at ratings is looking at the competition. Let's say that on Thursday night, Alias had 5 million people watch it. Then the same episode aired again on a Sunday night and the ratings went up to 7 million people. You'd have to take into consideration the timeslot. Maybe Sunday night was more accessable, and the competition. Maybe the only other thing on other than Alias was ballroom dancing, whereas on Thursday it competed against some mainstream shows. Now, while this might be a clue that it would do better in a Sunday timeslot, it doesn't count towards the total ratings. The ratings that the producers and such look at are the ones from the original airing. Those are the important ones.

Huh? :confused:

Sorry, I just don't get how those numbers are out of context. They're numbers, it's hard to take them out of context.

I mean, I think we all realize that numbers don't tell whether or not a show is good. Two of my favorite shows, Arrested Development and Scrubs don't get the ratings they deserve. They are fantastic shows, but their ratings suck.

That being the case, their numbers don't lie either. If only 2 million people watched that shows that not many people are interested and that it isn't doing well, rating wise. It definitely doesn't mean that the show quality is bad or anything like that...and I never implyed something like that with Alias.

No matter what you thought about the episode the numbers are there. You can't change those.

Actually, numbers can be taken into context and out of context. So you're saying if Alias was shown at 3am on a Tuesday morning and nobody watched, it was because nobody is interested in the show?

Alias had massive competition, a tough time slot where viewership is down from the 9pm and 10pm timeslots, and it had no lead in. Take that into consideration.

Right now you're just looking and saying "8 million = bad". Well, no. Alias exeeded ABC expectations. It did extremely well based on the CIRCUMSTANCES.

So yeah. You can say that "Prophet Five" was the least-watched premiere. But I'm saying that it did very well.

Back