Radio Silence

Jaraeth said:
My heart dies, just a little, with the passing of each day that HJ isn't on my computer.

You and me both.

I understand that the lack of information is frustrating. Especially considering the amount that was given out earlier this year. It became apparent that we would not be able to keep up that amount of publicity and make significant progress on the game. With the loss of several of our key PR personel, those duties have fallen to the already over-tasked.

Hero's Journey is still progressing along. The projected date for beta in 2006 isn't going to happen. We aren't ready for it.

I know the wait is frustrating .. I want to see this game on the shelf as much as all of you.

Thanks for sticking with us. We appreciate the support.

Cirakin

I remember the exact same thing was happening with WOW and Blizzard. If you remember they were a year late in their release and they had a very solid and polished product because of it. I'll never forget a response from Blizzard after a particularly long strecth of NO information and it stated....

Like a fine wine, we will release no game before it's time.

Something to think about..

Seiv

Title

Its not so much planning as it is pulling through with said plan. I have done my fair share of releasing content to a hungry community and I can faithfully say plans change. I certainly dont hold anything against Simutronics for the delay or the lack of PR... But being the raving fan boy I am.. I still would like to see some new eye candy.

Seiv said:
I remember the exact same thing was happening with WOW and Blizzard. If you remember they were a year late in their release and they had a very solid and polished product because of it. I'll never forget a response from Blizzard after a particularly long strecth of NO information and it stated....

Like a fine wine, we will release no game before it's time.

Something to think about..

Seiv

Well polished? Hell no. However HJ may be better for the wait.

Dyngo said:
Interesting how experienced game developers never learn how to plan a release?!

I'm no software developer, but I do build and rack servers, install their software and configure them (and no, 85%-90% of them are not windows based), and no matter how many questions you ask, or how much software you install... you still miss something. A missing software package that is needed in order to use another, a configuration option that is overlooked accidentally.

In the software world, where software is being created, and graphics are being pieced together from pencil drawings... there will be setbacks, missing items, things overlooked. These developers can look forward with a sense of "we need 2 years to develop this, and perhaps 6-9 months to piece it together and test it before releasing a beta"... but, they'll stumble and find that missing piece of graphics, or a game engine issue they did not expect. That 2 year plan is now 3, etc etc.

In my world, I plan a server release in three days... and it often spreads into weeks due to oversight, custom configurations that don't work the way they were thought up and intended, etc.

Stuff happens. But, there's different situations too. In my job, I keep the customer informed... "your server needs... <software/configuration> ...", whereas here, Simu can't tell us what they're doing. It'd spoil the game, provide no surprises, and we'd be inundated with information that'd change daily.

The problem in my opinion is that, there is way to little info. We hear "we're working on it still", but there's still nothing to show for it. We have new desktops... mmm yay.

What would stifle my urge for info? *New Screenshots* This way, I can hypothesize about what's going on in the game, the graphics quality, the neat shiny thingy in the GUI that makes me wonder what it is... or just the fact that... "hey, look... here's part of the world (PS: it may change and you may never see this again)". It's something that'd keep my attention, and the public's.

If it happens every time a developer develop a game, I would still consider them as "slow learners"... I mean, its no secret nowadays that it takes ----loads of time, resources and people to make games. And still I hardly hear about developer saying "It will take 6 years, sad but true", and instead its released after 5 years. But almost every time I hear "It will take 3 years, beta tests starts after 2.5", and, as usual, they extend release date with 1 or 2 years.

I do, however, agree on the lack of information. Thats something that shouldn't be to hard to keep up. But I guess its a game developer-thingy as well...

edit:
Woops, bad language... *walks to the corner and waits for a Mod to smack his fingers*

Look, people, if it will help you out, I'll do the PR from down here.

Been a journalist for 10 years, and have spend several years in house at multinational PR firms. Toss me some bones, and I'll disseminate them to the press. PR aint rocket science, no matter how some people try and paint strange voodoo around it :smiley:

<nominates Blur for Simu's HJ PR staff>

PR is just being able to pander to people's emotions and desires. If they want information, give it to them and stroke their ego while doing it... even if it's disseminating the old info and putting it back together in a new way :smiley: Take a large bone, cut it in half and give them two pieces and they'll think you threw them two separate bones ;)

~ Jar

Back