RENT

M

Marlene

They are filming right now, but it's scheduled to hit theatres in November. Almost the entire OBC together...:woot:. They filmed in NYC for some exteriors mid March...but unfortunately I didn't have enough time to hunt down the set. They are in San Francisco right now...but they are eventually moving into argh I forget the name of it. I'm sort of afraid what will happen to it on the big screen and what Chris Columbus will do with it; since they supposedly cut some of the less kosher scenes out of it (ie contact)...who is going to MOO with Maureen in the theatres? And no plaid pants on Roger...but Adam is very sexy with the hair!

ConcreteGirl said:
Well at least Duggie Houser isn't in it.  (He was on Broadway).  I heard Rosario Dawson is in the movie.  I didn't know that she could sing.
[post="1286667"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

yeah rosario dawson's playing mimi. I LOVE this musical and can't wait to see how it turns out. It's so cool that the original cast is reprising so many of the main roles.

I'm excited about this. I really wanted to see when it came to Cincinnati but never got to. Glad they're making it into a movie though because that's really the only way I'll ever get to see it

I've never seen the musical on Broadway, but I love the CD and am psyched that the original cast is coming back. Definitely will see this on opening day.

ms.katejones said:
I've never seen the musical on Broadway, but I love the CD and am psyched that the original cast is coming back. Definitely will see this on opening day.
[post="1433559"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I saw the preview last night during Must Love Dogs, and I cannot wait to see the movie...it looks great! ^_^

Just watched the trailer. Ahhhh I can't wait!

Except I wish they had chosen more songs than just Seasons for the trailer... and the international trailer as well. Everyone's gonna be sick of that song by the time the movie hits the theaters.

The cast performed on the Today Show and at an AIDS fundraiser at Bryant Park on Thursday, August 4th, 2005! I was there!

If anyone is interested I have pictures and a video of Take Me Or Leave me with Tracie Thoms and Idina Menzel, I recorded on my camera from the Bryant Park benefit. OMG...they were amazing! ;) Adam Pascal...hotter than hot. Tracie rocked Seasons and TMOLM. Idina is g-d...enough said. :lol: And most of the cast signed my RENT bible! WHOOOT! I missed out on Taye and Anthony. (n)

Rosario's Mom is amazing. Everyone wants a mommy like that. :D

November 11th for New Yorkers, and people in LA and Toronto...Thanksgiving Day for everyone else! AHHHHHH!

Yeah!

Jesse L Martin is in it too... when I first saw him, I was like "hey! It's the Law and Order guy!" :lol:

ETA: So I just realized that there's a thread on the same movie in the 'musicals' subforum, so I am merging the two.

If you guys didn't realize yet, there's a RENT blog. :smiley: There are a bunch of wallpapers up, a screen saver, interviews, and just other goodies on video.

On the official site they recently added the RENT music player...clips! :D No Idina clips though. :(

November 11th, couldn't come sooner...poor people that don't live in NYC, LA or Toronto...

I can say that I'm a proud owner of the RENT soundtrack. Who's on your slipcover? Anyone? November 23rd couldn't come any sooner.

i just saw this movie last night. i didn't know what it was about, but i loved it from the first song. i can't wait to see it again!

I just saw the movie this morning! Haha it all started with that song from the preview. I went ahead and got the soundtrack. Loved it! I got excited when I found some friends who also wanted to watch it. We were actually planning to see Harry Potter like the rest of the world. Anyway after watching the movie, I know what the songs are actually about. (well duh. :lol: ) So goood, I've been in a sing-y mood ever since.
I definitely must watch it again.

what was the point of it?

here's what i thought:

(assuming that you’ve seen the movie already cuz plot details follow)

Rent started off really slowly. I had no clue what the point of the movie was. It also further illustrates why I hate the 80s. This movie takes place at the end of the Cold War and talks about these three roommates and their journey on how to avoid paying last year’s rent. One is an aspiring film-maker, the other an aspiring musician, and another in love with a transgendered person (both have AIDS). As part of the millennial generation, AIDS has always been a part of our lives and that aspect of the musical was completely lost on me. For Generation X, AIDS is as new as terrorism is for our generation. A couple good musical numbers include the opening song “Seasons of Love” and “La Vie Boheme.” It was not believable that Mimi doesn’t die in the end but I think it’s suppose to be giving her a second chance. After watching the entire movie, I think the moral of the story is to live in the moment.

2 stars out of 5

< Resident RENThead. I won't even begin to inundate you with details, or spoil you. Just go out there are watch it.

You forgot about Maureen, Alliance. :( I'll definately give you that Mimi not dying works alot better on stage.

what was the point of it?
I can ask that very same question to like 90% of movies out there...but you seem to get part of the general gist of the themes.

You forgot about Maureen, Alliance. :( I'll definately give you that Mimi not dying works alot better on stage.
i didnt forget about Maureen, how could I? to me, she seemed more like a side character because i didnt understand how her ordeal with her partner tied into it all. they didnt get back together in the end, was she cheating or wasnt she, etc.

i felt like i was sitting in that theatre, watching this movie for 525,600 minutes. i know some people arent gonna go watch the movie cuz they dont want it to ruin their experience of the Broadway musical.

Back