Roleplaying a Paladin

I wholeheartedly agree that the paladin class needs to get back to its roots. There has been far too much of the 'irritating/everlasting, but of dubious value' paladin class of late. While I wouldn't personally play one, I could certainly see myself as the kind of character who associates with them. Someone who just doesn't -quite- get that whole completely upright behaviour thing, but tries enough to that he's a good person and can appreciate what paladins do.

With almost no one playing morally outstanding characters in games (or having the ability to), there isn't much of a middle ground for all of us slightly less than totally "good" characters out there. I think having both ends of the good/evil spectrum present is necessary for a complete roleplaying experience. How are we to know where we stand without relativity?

Daax said:
I think what this post is trying to say is, you're not considered a Paladin by what you class title or abilities say, you're considered a Paladin by how to act as a character.
That's probably a reasonable assessment. Being a Paladin is very much a state of mind thing, really, if you want to get down to the nitty gritty and really RP one.

paladins2.jpg

An excellent write up. Well Done!

I am in total agreement that the paladin image has been tarnished by most MMO's.

Role playing a paladin (in its strictest sense) is a difficult path. I tip my hat to anyone who can play the part well.

Now for a question. I think the character of Dread, in the movie Judge Dread, is an accurate portrayal of a paladin, with his unyielding devotion to the letter of the law, and the courage he shows in enforcing it. But I also believe that he falls from his paladinhood in the latter part of the movie, when he reenters the Megacity, thus violating the law. Would you agree or disagree with my stance on this? This is an exercise in what it takes to be a paladin, not on the merits of the movie.

Aelwulfe

An excellent write up. Well Done!

I am in total agreement that the paladin image has been tarnished by most MMO's.

Role playing a paladin (in its strictest sense) is a difficult path. I tip my hat to anyone who can play the part well.

Now for a question. I think the character of Dread, in the movie Judge Dread, is an accurate portrayal of a paladin, with his unyielding devotion to the letter of the law, and the courage he shows in enforcing it. But I also believe that he falls from his paladinhood in the latter part of the movie, when he reenters the Megacity, thus violating the law. Would you agree or disagree with my stance on this? This is an exercise in what it takes to be a paladin, not on the merits of the movie.

Aelwulfe

We all agree that Judge Dread was a better video game, right? Oh and the link was fixed, nice. ^^

What if my necro/rogue tried to infiltrated your guild, RP-wise ofcourse, would that work, or would you only invite guildmembers OOC-wise?

..im not joking btw

I wholeheartedly agree that the paladin class needs to get back to its roots. There has been far too much of the 'irritating/everlasting, but of dubious value' paladin class of late. While I wouldn't personally play one, I could certainly see myself as the kind of character who associates with them. Someone who just doesn't -quite- get that whole completely upright behaviour thing, but tries enough to that he's a good person and can appreciate what paladins do.

With almost no one playing morally outstanding characters in games (or having the ability to), there isn't much of a middle ground for all of us slightly less than totally "good" characters out there. I think having both ends of the good/evil spectrum present is necessary for a complete roleplaying experience. How are we to know where we stand without relativity?

True paladins. Unlawful paladins. Templars only by trade. Holy upright. Or the Holy Right violent type. They're all there for me to point and laugh at before trying to kill.
I don't think there's a wrong way to RP a paladin. Just RPing one in general and you'll be accurate to one of our world history's models. Be it first or thir crusade crazy horseman. Witch hunting Frenchmen. Spanish gold looting inquisitors, doing so for Jesus. I've seen folks run the gambit for Pallys. And I still wanna kill'em all.

Back