School Trips-

My old middle school takes the 8th graders to D.C every year. That was tons of fun, but I really didn't learn anything. All the teachers said it would be really educational, but it wasn't. I'm really glad I went, but it was basically just like a vacation with a bunch of friends... I know lots of parents got mad that they spent a lot of money for their kids just to goof around for a week.

So do you feel that trips are worth it? Of course, I really dont mind if they're just for fun, but since they are for school I suppose it should be somewhat educational... What does everyone think? And who else has been on a trip? What was it like?

Also, this year I'm getting the option to go to Jamaca or Germany. My mom say's she'll only pay if I'll actaully get anything out of it. The Jamaca trip is for orchestra where we compete in a competion on a crusie on the way there. The Germany one is basically just to sight see and try to use the German we've learned. I don't really know which one to pick....

I think school trips are generally meant to be fun. They can be designed to be educational, but whether if you learn anything or not is dependent on yourself. I mean if they brought you guys to museums or say some monument in DC with a tour guide explaining stuff to you, that is educational. If you didn't learn anything that's not the school's fault. I think it's also important that people get a chance to get away from their home town. It's good for students to sight see, espeically ones who don't get to go on a vacation every year because their parents work or for monetary issues. It's good that they brought you guys to a place that's relatively far from home so that you can basically experience a different type of atmosphere and the people and cultures there. That alone, I think it's really education whether if you see it as that or not.

Personally I would choose Germany over Jamaica. However, it is the orchestra and I would choose a band trip over a lanugauge class trip... :Ponder: ;) I think in Germany you'll have more chance to experience the history and the architecture and like... a foriegn culture while in Jamaica, it's more about fun and relaxation and just... a holiday. Which one to choose is really up to you. ;)
--Mandy :angelic:

Two years ago when I was in 6th grade, my class went to England for a week. They put us all into different families (2-4 per each) which was... well...:blush: It was really fun! We went all over South England and we visited Bath, Cheddar, London (obviously!!) etc. We visited up to three museums or other such stuff in a day and learned a lot! So in my case the trip was both educational and fun!

Which part of Germany? I have been to Germany many times and to different places. I can tell you that some are nice, but some are dreadfull!

We're start in Frankfurt and then go to Munich and Rothenburg in Germany. Then we go to Innsbruck in Austria and Lucerne in Switzerland.

I still dont know which one to choose...

When I was in 7th grade the class took a trip to DC. It wasn't that educational, but we did go to museums and monuments which was awesome. I thought it was a wonderful oppertunity. I lived only like 2 hours from DC when I was younger so we were there all the time. But when I moved to NC many students had never seen it, and they would've never been able to.

This was a great chance to see our nation's capital. Even if they didn't learn a lot, they got to see it. Which I think is very important.

This year from my International Relations club we're going to DC next month and the NYC next semester...both completely free of charge, which is awesome (we host Middle school and High school model UNs...which pays for it). They will be educational though. In DC we're going to several museums, monuments, embassies, and Congress. Then when we go to NYC we're participating in the Model United Nations of college students...so that will also be educational. But both will be a blast! ^_^

In year 9 our year went on a ski trip the most fun I have ever had!!!

our school's pov and so are the people that go to it so I don't think we will ever go overseas on a school trip unless you count Kangaroo Island which is pretty lame!!!

My school offers a ski trip for yrs 10 to 12 students in the eastern states somewhere, its all fun though :P but u have to pay the full cost. We have school camps. Year 9 health camp (fun and educational), year 11 & 12 art camp (lots of drawring and fun stuff so sort of educational) and year 11 and 12 biology camps. Now they are SO much fun! But we learn stuff as well. We also have day excurions. Some can be fun. Every year in art we go to the year 12 exhibition at the art gallery of WA. Biology we go to the zoo a couple of times. That sort of thing. ALthough at the end of each year, each year group gets a fun day. It depends on who your year coordinator is for what they decide to let you do.

I go to band camp. :D And we also take local field trips during the day, go to Buffalo to play for the Bills, and this year we're going to Williamsburg. It's all band related.

Our school doesn't really take trips. Just our music department, which is actually a privately funded organization. The seniors in a certain class get to go to either NYC or to do ASP in Appalachia, but that's pretty much it.

I go to band camp. :D And we also take local field trips during the day, go to Buffalo to play for the Bills, and this year we're going to Williamsburg. It's all band related.

Our school doesn't really take trips. Just our music department, which is actually a privately funded organization. The seniors in a certain class get to go to either NYC or to do ASP in Appalachia, but that's pretty much it.

I LOVE Williamsburg!! I was born there and lived there until I was 10...great place!! :D

Where in Appalachia? Because I currently go to school in the Appalachian mountains.

in grade 6 we went to a camp, in grade 8 we went to quebec city, in grade 10 we had the option of going to ottawa. in grade 11 we have a rome/pompeii/italy trip, in grade 12 we have a boston trip, UK rugby trip, and a few others. every year we have ski trips.

personally i think its up to us to make them "Educational". you can put me in a museum for like 8 hours and tell me about stuff but i wont necessarily pay attention to it. True, most trips are for fun but it really is the responsibility of the student to "learn" things, usually they are given the opporunity but it is up to them to take it

this year in grade 12 my art class is going to New York for a weekend after March Break and we get a lot of free time, mostly because museums aren't open after 5 so we get the night free and we can do basically everything we want, with in reason. but I think this will be really fun but interesting at the same time.

Oh New York is AWSOME you'll love it Jon. :love: If you get the chance to go see a broadway play do it! It's so worth it!

--mandy :angelic:

lottery's especially during wednesday matinees if broadway is your thing fong. but there is student rush for certain shows. have fun!

my school sucks, you only have one trip a year, and it's somehow pulled off as "educational" *eyeroll* it's such a rip. Senior ski trip, werd. Typically it's an overnight trip to Boston Junior year...errr.

my friends were talking about going to a show, but a couple of us would either have to skip a museum tour to go to tkts or we would have to buy them now, because we are going on the weekend and it might be busy. So we are still debating. Does anyone here know when the stores close there?

Amy: when are the trips? I can ask people from jamaica and germany what it's like during that time and things you can do there, cause there are some kids that are from those places at my school.

my friends were talking about going to a show, but a couple of us would either have to skip a museum tour to go to tkts or we would have to buy them now, because we are going on the weekend and it might be busy. So we are still debating. Does anyone here know when the stores close there?

Amy: when are the trips? I can ask people from jamaica and germany what it's like during that time and things you can do there, cause there are some kids that are from those places at my school.

I'm not sure of the exact dates, but Jamaica is the begining or march, and germany is in the middle of april.

okay, my friend from jamaica said that it is really nice where the tourists are but she said not to go the areas that look sketchy, cause they really are and you might get shot, I think she might have been exagerating there ;). She also said that in March, they start celebrations and parades, like mardi gras and that so that would be fun to see. I'l get back with stuff about Germany in a little. I know that if you pass by Berlin or Hamburg, or are stopping there, there is a lot of culture there with the architecture, art, and history.

okay, my friend from jamaica said that it is really nice where the tourists are but she said not to go the areas that look sketchy, cause they really are and you might get shot, I think she might have been exagerating there ;). She also said that in March, they start celebrations and parades, like mardi gras and that so that would be fun to see. I'l get back with stuff about Germany in a little. I know that if you pass by Berlin or Hamburg, or are stopping there, there is a lot of culture there with the architecture, art, and history.

Awesome. Thanks! ^_^

Yikes, I have to make up my mind by next monday....

There's a day trip to Glasgow in December, it's only £5. So I registered today, and if I'm on time to register, I will go to Edinburgh this month :smiley:
I think it's school! And we're free for shopping, but we won't get any interesting things about the history of a building or things like that, but it's cool. A little break during my courseworks!

Back