Status
Not open for further replies.
DGSE-analyst said:
That's horrible... :(

And i don't have anything smart to say for that... :(

:console:
[post="1091092"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Neither do I (n)

eta-as much as this looks like I'm trying to kill the thread, I'm really not. So we can change the subject :smiley:

nsspense, that really whomps, and can be so frustrating! :( It really hard to understand things like that, but in my experience with situations like this, as heart-breaking as they are, often times down the road we find that either something better and unexpected comes along, or see a reason why things didn't go the way we wanted them to and are glad for it. I know it's hard to think that way in the midst of the initial disappointment, but things will get better somehow. :console:

Ok subject change - *coughcough* My head is killing me, and so is my neck, *coughcough*, I think because I was up for an hour during the night coughing and coughing and coughing. (n) And I still have no voice, which I hate, but is tolerable, much moreso than this brutal headache. It's to the point that it's making me nauseous. I took some Advil and Sudafed when I got up, but it hasn't kicked in yet.

Ok, we need some bright and happy news this morning - anyone got any?

yeah we are a happy bunch so far, aren't we?
hope you feel better :console:

I know there is a reason for things happening this way for him, but you're right, it's the initial disappointment that is toughest.

Aliasfix said:
Ok, we need some bright and happy news this morning - anyone got any?
[post="1091106"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

:thinking: i'm going to see a movie with my father... Is that enough? :thinking:

I'm sorry for you Amy :hug: :console: (<---and as you can see i'm not scared to catch it :lol: )

LOL DGSE - you are brave!

What movie are you going to see? Sounds fun, and happier than any of my news!

:Ponder: Trying to think of other good things.....I did a tiny bit of Christmas decorating yesterday! Hung the wreath on my front door, which looks fabulous by the way, since we painted the whole house last spring - I love my wreath on my red front door! :love: LOL I am considering doing the decorating a bit at a time so it's not such a chore. No tree yet, although little AF has been asking for one since last week (hello - it's only December today! It would be a crispy critter and a huge fire hazzard by Christmas if we got one now. :P I think we'll get one next weekend, which coincides with hubby's day off, and payday - two plusses! :lol:

I could start wrapping the gifts I've bought so far though, I think I'll do that today. Weird not having a tree to put them under, but it's better than having them all in bags cluttering up my spare bedroom/office/hubby's work 'get ready' area. :P

:eek:ldhi: prime! How are you today?

before I forget--talula--when you get here--I asked :fireman: about the trading of fire department shirts yesterday. All I said was, "Is it a tradition for firefighters to take shirts-" And before I got another word out he said, "And trade them wherever they go? Oh yeah, it's a big tradition. And patches too." :lol:
What do I know? :smiley:

LOL nsspsnse, hubby used to do that when he fought forest fires too! We still have a New Jersey firefighters hoodie sweatshirt in our closet from his firefighting/shirt trading days! :D And he had a tee that had a big bulldozer on the front, the ones with the huge 'claws' for uprooting trees when they cut firebreaks, and it said "tree hugger" or "have you hugged a tree today?" or something like that on it. :lol: (apologies to environmentalists, but I always thought it was hilarious) Can't remember what group he got that one from though.

Ugh...headache go away!!!!

Aliasfix said:
LOL  nsspsnse, hubby used to do that when he fought forest fires too!  We still have a New Jersey firefighters hoodie sweatshirt in our closet from his firefighting/shirt trading days!  :D  And he had a tee that had a big bulldozer on the front, the ones with the huge 'claws' for uprooting trees when they cut firebreaks, and it said "tree hugger" or "have you hugged a tree today?" or something like that on it.  :lol:  (apologies to environmentalists, but I always thought it was hilarious)  Can't remember what group he got that one from though. 

Ugh...headache go away!!!!
[post="1091127"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
:lol:
what made mr. aliasfix go to the "other side" after firefighting for awhile? :smiley:

nsspense said:
I'm not real sure how much is ok to say, but he and some other high ranking cadets (college army folks) about to graduate and be commissioned did not get the jobs in the army they hoped for and deserved. The reasons are still unclear.
[post="1091090"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
:console: Sorry for brother-nsspense's bad news. :( My brother is in the military and I know that sometimes decisions are made about promotions or placement that seem :blink:. The only good thing I can think to say is that maybe this will help your brother figure out a new plan, once he gets over the disappointment of not being where he wants to be. The good thing about the military is there are a lot of options out there.

:eek:ldhi: everyone!

'The other side' - meaning police work? :P

He actually did the firefighting for 3 or 4 seasons only in summer - he was an on call blue card (like hotshots, only they get much less attention), and I learned to hate his pager. Dang thing always went off when we had plans and then he'd be off to the tanker base to head off to a fire for days or weeks at a time. But he enjoyed the work, and it was good money (3 weeks on a fire in Montana paid for the rings on my left hand!).

After we got married he stopped doing it, and he had his own business for awhile, but eventually he decided he'd like to go into police work, and that's where he is now. It's more steady work than the seasonal firefighting thing, and I'm not sure why he didn't care to go into full time firefighting at a station here locally. I think he loved the outdoors part about the US Sorest Service job, despite the fact that the outdoors was burning when he was there - he still got to see a lot of great places, and he loved the crew he worked with.

Both jobs have crappy hours though! He's been on night shifts with the PD since March, and I'm sick of it! LOL

Hi Thayna! :eek:ldhi:

Fingers crossed that we may have SD-1 by this afternoon! Yay! We finally got our database and Blake is uploading (may be finished now), so hoepfully by this afternoon, as long as we don't run into any more problems - and Lord knows we've had more than our fair share!

Edited to add: He's online now, watch SD-3 - he may post an update in the next few minutes! He's IMing me - maybe we'll have some news - back shortly!

Woohoo - progress! Boards are 'there' but offline...and there's a cookie problem at the moment, but there's progress. Hold on to your hats - we may be back today!

(although I'm afraid to get my hopes up!)

:woot: :woot: Yippee! Maybe today? :shocked: :shocked: :woot:

In more :woot: news, I just found out the job I've been waiting on has turned into 2 jobs! I now have work through February! :woot:

Aliasfix said:
'The other side' - meaning police work?  :P

He actually did the firefighting for 3 or 4 seasons only in summer - he was an on call blue card (like hotshots, only they get much less attention), and I learned to hate his pager.  Dang thing always went off when we had plans and then he'd be off to the tanker base to head off to a fire for days or weeks at a time.  But he enjoyed the work, and it was good money (3 weeks on a fire in Montana paid for the rings on my left hand!). 

After we got married he stopped doing it, and he had his own business for awhile, but eventually  he decided he'd like to go into police work, and that's where he is now.  It's more steady work than the seasonal firefighting thing, and I'm not sure why he didn't care to go into full time firefighting at a station here locally.  I think he loved the outdoors part about the US Sorest Service job, despite the fact that the outdoors was burning when he was there - he still got to see a lot of great places, and he loved the crew he worked with.

Both jobs have crappy hours though!  He's been on night shifts with the PD since March, and I'm sick of it!  LOL
[post="1091139"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
:lol: yeah, the "other side" is police. :smiley: I heard it first in a movie (Frequency) then in real life :smiley: It can also refer to volunteer vs. career firefighting.

5x5 said:
:woot:  :woot: Yippee!  Maybe today?  :shocked: :shocked:  :woot:

In more  :woot: news, I just found out the job I've been waiting on has turned into 2 jobs!  I now have work through February!   :woot:
[post="1091194"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
:woot: congratulations!
eta-and you're right, there are a lot of options in the military. hopefully he'll figure out something else that makes him happy, or maybe he can transfer soon when he does a good job at what he's assigned to.

eta2-oooooh I visited sd-1 just to see what the newest error looks like, and it's so pretty! It looks like sd-1 but without logging in! :woot:

It's such a relief. Since I freelance and my checks are generally 6 weeks behind the time I finished the job, I was getting a bit worried, as there won't be money coming in, say, in January, when all the bills show up from Christmas. :blink: But who doesn't want to lose weight in the new year? :lol:

ETA: About your brother again, nsspense--he's already ahead of the game because he's smart! :whistle: He may be in a bit of a grunt position when he begins, but that's a good start in seeing how the military operates and making connections. My brother was in ROTC during college, worked for a few years, then went into the military full-time, and has worked his way up. He's smart and he's super-personable. (He's 36 and up for a Lt. Col. position. Color me proud!)

5x5 said:
It's such a relief.  Since I freelance and my checks are generally 6 weeks behind the time I finished the job, I was getting a bit worried, as there won't be money coming in, say, in January, when all the bills show up from Christmas.  :blink: But who doesn't want to lose weight in the new year? :lol:
[post="1091211"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
:lol: :lol: that reminds me of nights when my mom declared she didn't feel like cooking dinner, and she'd say, "Ok mandatory fasting tonight!" haha
(don't worry,she was just kidding, we ate. :lol: )

nsspense said:
:lol:  :lol: that reminds me of nights when my mom declared she didn't feel like cooking dinner, and she'd say, "Ok mandatory fasting tonight!" haha
(don't worry,she was just kidding, we ate. :lol: )
[post="1091223"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
:lol: :lol: My mom would say, "Grab your cereal bowls!" :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back