Politics Should you be able to vote after getting a felony

As far as far a I know, In the US when you receive a felony count and are convicted of such you are no longer eligible to vote in this country. I think this is wrong since a person goes to prison under the pretense that he or she is paying his crime and is going to come out with his debt paid to society. Not come out as some defect with partial rites. another partial rite you have is that if you are convicted of a drug offense you won't be eligible for food stamps when you get out and are trying to get on your feet but if your convicted of murder you will. This is off the subject but something to think about.

I think if a felon does his time in prison he should have the same rite to vote as every other American. He is no worse or no better and should have every rite that every other American has. As it is it's as though you have the right to shame him for the rest of his life, and this just is'nt fair. The debt has been paid.

hmmm...i've never heard that. if you've paid your debt to society, why shouldn't you be able to vote? i mean, you're still a citizen.

I believe that even if you are in prison you should be able to vote.
I mean you are still a citizen, they shouldn't be able to take away your right to vote.

Kewii  I believe that even if you are in prison you should be able to vote.
I mean you are still a citizen, they shouldn't be able to take away your right to vote.

I don't agree with that .
I mean , aftre you've done your time in jail , you should be able to vote cos you've sort of paid your debt.
But , while you're in jail?? If you're in jail , most of the time , it's because you broke some society rules , so ... what kind of a citizen are you then?

I think that the person should be able to vote. I mean heck, they are going to prison to repay their debut to society...there fore once it is repaid...i think they should be able to vote!

marie said:
Kewii  I believe that even if you are in prison you should be able to vote.

I don't agree with that .
I mean , aftre you've done your time in jail , you should be able to vote cos you've sort of paid your debt.
But , while you're in jail?? If you're in jail , most of the time , it's because you broke some society rules , so ... what kind of a citizen are you then?
SO the only people who should be allowed to vote are good citizens?
No ones perfect and people do make mistakes.
And how about all the innocent people who are convicted every year?
None of them should have any rights?
NO matter what they've done they are still citizens and as citizens it is your right to vote for the party who you feel deserves the leadership.

I mean when you get out of prison, served your time, and are now again allowed to vote you have to put up with whoever got chosen until the next voting period.

It hardly seems fair to treat people like sub citizens because they made a mistake.

Every man and woman should have a right to choose who governs over them, if he is not given the choice, or in other words, if he does not have any say in who sets the rules; even if he voted otherwise, is it wrong for him to not follow their rules?

Every man and woman should have a right to choose who governs over them, if he is not given the choice, or in other words, if he does not have any say in who sets the rules; even if he voted otherwise, is it wrong for him to not follow their rules?
That's kind of how I see it too. It seems if they take away your right to vote that they're telling you you're sort of a non citizen.

Kewii Posted on Jan 6 2004, 02:28 PM

It hardly seems fair to treat people like sub citizens because they made a mistake.

Ok , but it depends what you call a "mistake". Do you really think that a guy who raped and kill an innocent child (just for exemple ) should have to right to vote in jail and decide along with the pthers citizens the rules that lead the society?

I don't agree with allowing current inmates to vote. I do feel, though, that once they are released they should be allowed to vote. They have paid their debt to society.

My friend was convicted of a felony drug charge when he was 19 years old. He is cleaned up and is now 25 and cannot vote. That really irks me.

-_-

I do not like that law.

Ok , but it depends what you call a "mistake". Do you really think that a guy who raped and kill an innocent child (just for exemple ) should have to right to vote in jail and decide along with the pthers citizens the rules that lead the society?

But what if the child was really bad? just kidding!! But once the law determines you have been rehabilitated, I think even off of parole, then why shouldn't you be able to vote. But I think the problem might be that there are no lobbyist willing to fight for this law because they have nothing to gain. It's not like a bunch of felons are a strong political group. Unless maybe the ACLU could get behind it or something. I'm not sure what they cover.

Back