Sleepless Nights

Hey I'm new here and this is my first fic ever so constructive critisism would be great, but please be kind. :rolleyes:

Disclaimer: I own none of these characters, they all come from the brilliant mind of JJ Abrams.

Irina, no Laura she started to correct herself, but she realized tonight it truly was Irina who couldn't sleep. Not that it would matter tomorrow. She had gone over the plan a million times in her head since she had been told by her handler last week that it was time for her to leave.

Friday Jack would be returning from a mission in Bosnia, so Saturday she would have both Jack and Sydney home with her. Laura was supposed to make a big breakfast for the 3 of them. When she realized that they were 'out of orange juice', she would make a quick run to go get it. But Laura would never be coming home.

Interesting Irina thought. She wondered when she first stopped thinking of this as an assignment and began thinking of it as her home. She tried to tell herself that it didn't matter anymore, and she needed to sleep, but it was no use. Irina Derevko would not sleep tonight. This sleepless night reminded her of another over 10 years ago.

It was the night before her wedding. Laura's wedding she reminded herself. Everyone was so happy for her, they kept telling her much she would love married life, and that she had found the man of her dreams in Jack Bristow. Laura was sure of that. She bought in to the whole bride-to-be thing. 'Something old, something new', the flowers had to be perfect, it had taken her 8 days to make the seating arrangements, and 8 weeks to find the perfect dress.

But that was Laura.

Irina was not nearly as sure. It wasn't just pre-wedding jitters, she was truly worried. What if she failed, what if she wasn't able to maintain her cover, what if she wasn't happy? As much as she tried to avoid it, that's what this was really about. After all she was marrying someone her government had told her to find and marry. Her thoughts were suddenly inturpted by a knock at the door.

"Jack, you shouldn't be here, it's bad luck!"

"I know, I know, but Laura I needed to talk to you tonight."

"Why Jack, is there something wrong?"

"No. I just wanted to talk to you now, because I figured that tomorrow with all that'll be going on, we might not get the chance. Laura, I love you so much, and I just wanted to thank you for spending the rest of your life with me. We are going to be so happy, I promise you."

That might have been it Irina thought. Somehow, through Jack's simple statement, she knew she would make it. And he had been right, they had been very happy over the last 10 years. She looked at her clock, 4:32. In two and a half hours they would be waking up, and and hour after that she would never she Jack or Sydney again.

Sydney.

The thought of never seeing her beloved little girl again brought tears to her eyes. It was ironic she thought that something she hadn't wanted so much to avoid had become the most important thing in her life.

Irina couldn't believe what she had done. Irina Derevko, one of the KGB's finest agents, who had killed dozens in cold blood, had not been able to keep herself from getting pregnat.

At first she had simply chosen to ignore the signs. Dizzyness, exhaustion, and appitite that was not her own. For weeks after she first noticed them she blamed it on the flu, and then on her strenous work schedule, but she could ignore them no longer.

Today she had finally gone to her doctor. She didn't know what she thought he would say, but somehow she had hoped that there was some other explanation. But there was no more denying it. Jack didn't know, if she chose to abort she wouldn't have to worry about him.

But somehow when her handler ordered her to abort, she found herself telling him that Jack already knew and it was to late for anything to be done. She didn't know why she said it, but there was no turning back now, she would be having this baby.

Beep, beep, beep. 7 o'clock. Only one hour left.

"Daddy!"

"Your home. I missed you," Sydney yelled as she jumped onto the bed.

"Oh sweetheart, I missed you to," he said as he grabbed both Sydney and Laura into his arms, "this is where I like to be, at home with my girls!"

"I have a wonderful idea,"how bout we go downstairs and I'll make us a big breakfast. How would you like to help me, Sydney?"

"Yes, mommy," she replied as Irina caught her last glimpse of the dimples she loved so much. "Well then come on slowpokes!"

Jack carried Sydney and she followed them down the stairs.

"Oh dear, Jack, we're out of orange juice. I'll run out to the store and get some."

"No, Laura don't worry about it. I'll go, it's early and the roads are still a bit icy."

"Don't worry, Jack, I'll be fine. Stay here and take care of Sydney," she hoped that he would remember that after Laura 'died'. "And Sydney, you be a good girl for your Daddy, ok?"

"Yes, momma," she said, barely looking up from the pancake batter she was making.

As Irina prepared to drive off the bridge, for a second she considered going back, but she knew it was no use. She would keep track of Jack and Sydney in her own way, but Laura Bristow was dead. It was all over now.

She couldn't have been more wrong.

so do you think i should continue?

I loved your Laura/Irina separation. That was well done, and it fits well. During that time she really was two different people.

I kind of feel like the characterization is a bit off, like I can't really picture jack saying "this is where I like to be, at home with my girls!"

But it's a good start. Keep it up :smiley:

kewii

Back