Stepping Stones

A/N: Next chappy! Enjoy! :woot: :D ;)

Chapter 17-

Sydney sat in the viewing gallery of the hockey rink, and watched in amazement as the Zamboni drove back and forth across the ice, cleaning it. She didn’t even notice Vaughn approach her with two cups of steaming, hot cocoa in his hands.

“What is it?” he asked, sitting down next to her.

He handed her her cup of cocoa, but she didn’t avert her eyes. He finally realized what she was staring at, and smiled, taking at sip of his cocoa, “Its just a Zamboni, Syd.”

“But its so… magical,” she said, almost robotic.

Seeing how hypnotized she was by the thing, he laughed, and placed his jacket over her shoulders; she dressed lightly, and could see her shivering slightly, although she didn’t acknowledge it.

“What’s so magical about a machine that cleans the ice?” Vaughn asked.

“There are three things people love to stare at; a rippling stream, a fire, and a Zamboni going around and around. Its just a fact,” Sydney said, still staring at the large machine.

“Oh, really? Its a fact? I’ve never heard that before,” he replied.

“Then you don’t listen very well. You can’t honestly tell me that you don’t love watching a Zamboni clean the ice?” she said.

“I can’t say that I do,” he said, taking a sip from his Styrofoam cup.

“You must have at some point,” she replied, finally tearing her eyes away.

“Well… I guess its because I’ve been around ice for so long, I’m used to it, so its not a magical sight anymore,” he tried to explain.

“That’s probably it, because its definitely high up on my list of the world’s coolest things,” Sydney replied.

“Why are we having a conversation about a Zamboni?” Vaughn laughed.

“I have no idea,” she replied, leaning into him.

She rested her head in the crook of his neck, and he wrapped an arm around her. This night had been perfect for Vaughn; hockey and Sydney. What more could he ask for?

Finally, after moments of silence, Sydney decided she wanted to go home. When Vaughn had last checked the clock, when he was getting their cocoa, it read 1:00am, and they had school tomorrow.

“Do you think your dad will be pissed?” Vaughn asked, on the car ride home.

“More than likely,” Sydney simply replied.

Vaughn sighed, “Great; I’ve just given him another excuse to hate me.”

“Oh, he’ll live. I’m sick and tired of him always smothering me. I need to get out on my own, and see the world,” she said.

“Your fifteen years old, Syd. You’ve got your whole life ahead of you,” Vaughn rolled his eyes.

“Now you sound like him! How am I supposed to live and be happy with so many restrictions!?” Sydney protested.

“Well, we need restrictions, Syd. You have to admit that we were out late, and he does have a good reason to be angry. You want to live, and believe me, that’s what he wants, too,” Vaughn tried to explain.

“But, what’s the worst that could happen!? I’m with you! Its not like I’m going to get abducted or anything!” she replied.

“Parents worry. They always will. You have to learn to deal with it,” Vaughn said.

“And what about your mom!? Does she smother you, and constantly nag and worry!?” Sydney asked.

“She used to. I guess she still does, but I’m used to it. I’m also an adult; in a year, I’ll be going off to college, and I’ll be living my own life. Once you become older, you’ll get more freedom, trust me.”

Vaughn pulled into the driveway of the Bristow house, and they could both see the living room light on; Jack Bristow was up and waiting.

“You should head home, Michael. Lets end this evening on a good note,” Sydney said, as she stepped out of the car.

“Yeah, you’re right,” Vaughn said, “I like my head where it is. I‘ll see you tomorrow?”

“Yep,” Sydney smiled.

He leaned in and gave her a peck, and watched as she ran up the steps and disappeared into her house through her large, front door. He pulled out of the driveway, and headed home.

“Where the hell were you!?” Jack asked, storming over to where she stood.

She knew this was coming, and actually had somewhat of a speech prepared; tonight, she was going to make her point very clear.

“I was with Michael,” she said, as if it wasn’t a big deal.

“Its 1:30am! And on a school night! You know your curfew is 10:00pm!” he shouted, his booming voice shaking Sydney up a bit.

“Well… its not like anything bad happened to me!” she said, trying to match his intensity.

“I don’t know that! You have a curfew for a reason, Sydney; so I know you’re safe! You could have been lying in a ditch, dead, for all I know!” he shouted.

“Spare me the drama,” Sydney snapped, “You and I know damn well that I’m not stupid enough to let something like that happen. Besides; I was with Michael! He’s an adult! He can watch over me!”

“How do I know he’s not the reason you could end up in that ditch!?”

“Oh my God! What the hell is your problem with him, anyway!? I don’t understand how you can be on good terms with someone one second, and then want to garrote them the next!” she yelled, “Personally, I don’t care what you think of him, or if you like him or not! Its my decision, my life, and I’ll live it the way I want to!”

“Don’t you dare take that tone with me, Sydney Anne! You’re grounded for a week!” he screamed, “That means no friends, no TV, and no Michael! You’ll go to school, come home from school, do your homework, eat, and go to bed!”

“Do you think you can cage me in here, dad!? Do you think that will work!?” she asked, stamping up the stairs.

“It will work because I said it will!” he replied.

“You’ll see!” she shouted, and once she was out of his sight, she mumbled, “You can’t trap me in here forever.”

She slammed the door behind her, and jumped onto her bed, crushing her face into the comfort of her pillow.

“I will not cry… I will not cry… I will not cry… wait!”

She remembered back to the promise she made to Michael, all those years ago; even though she was just a child, those words were fresh in her mind.

“He’s back now… so the promise is fulfilled. I guess I can cry now.”

Having nothing to hold her back, the bonds of a promise gone, she let go years of pent-up rage and sadness, and sobbed uncontrollably into her pillow. She felt almost… euphoric, to finally let her emotions get the better of her. She had fought it off for so many years, and it was bursting to come out, seeping through the surface, the only thing holding it down an iron will and a promise to a friend. Now that those were both gone, the beast was free.

A million different things zipped through her mind; things she would have… should have cried about, all those years ago; Michael’s departure, her mother’s death, every bump, bruise, and broken bone she ever had; every hurtful word a bully ever said about her, every and any way her father tried to cage her in.

“M-M-Mommy…! It hurts!” she screamed, not noticing how loud she really was, for on the other side of the door was her father, with his ear pressed against it.

“Sydney…,” he thought, listening to her wails of pain.

He had never heard her cry like that… come to think of it, he hadn’t heard her cry since Michael Vaughn left!

“A promise? A promise. Figures,” he thought, feeling Sydney’s despair, “Only Sydney would endure so much, just to stay true to her word.”

He couldn’t help but feel somewhat responsible for her pain, and soon, it began to radiate from her, and he felt it, too; a terrible sadness of longing, loss, hope, and loneliness; something someone so young should ever have to feel.

“Sydney…”

While he wanted to go in there and comfort her, hold her, and rock her like he did when she cried when she was little, another part of him, his sensible part, told him to stay away, for it’d only make things worse.

“I’m sorry…”

I'mn glad Jack heard that...
I'm also glad Syd got all of that out...
Hoepfully Jack will be more understanding.
Great Update...
thanks for the pm.

Updated pm list;

derevkointraining
AliasSydney502
Kate_14
gtwallichs
farliieansds225
texasalias2004
tubby
sand2604
Freelancer7315
Chicketepee
Alias lover 818
6helterskelter6
Vaughn-a-holic!439
KAliasGirl
emetib17
sydneymicheal
Michael_Vartan_Rocks
dandan
fire*N*ice
Catpin
mnkdance963
phoenix shotgun 47
NadiaSantosFan
LittleNicky
syd-157
Addicted 2 Alias
funkymonkey
ashqua
pansarah1
Julia47Thorne
UndercoverPhoenix47
Thumper
vaughn4eva24
Jen-Jen
ams4alias
syd26
aprilsfool6
MH55995
Prediction 47
alias=mylife26
tunita
jadeygirl
smartgirl2004
Syd&Vaughn4eva
ae_gurl293
sabbiee_co
hannahb
Smcki10

If you wanted to be added, just let me know! :D ;)

Well now that Jack heard her...maybe he will be more understanding about Vaughn now!!
-Can't wait for more!! Thanks for the pm!!!

Wow. A Jack apology. I mean major wow! By the way you wrote the scene very well
:smiley: thanks so much for the Pm im sorry i took so long to reply i've been having a little trouble with the internet. .
:(

I understand Sydney's want to be free, specially being 16 myself, but she really stepped over the limits and while it was worth it and she doesn't regret it... Jack has every right to be mad at her. He didn't know where she was and she was three and half hours late. I'm glad Vaughn told her that, even though he's sounding a little condescending, I guess he has to be... being three years older than her.

No one should stop themselves from crying when they feel like it and Sydney has done that for the majority of her life. She needed the nervous breakdown and I think Jack probably needs it too. The two of them should just hug and comfort each other.

Great chapter!

the chapter was great! i love how sydney finally let her emotions come through and that jack heard her. it was nice that jack finally understands...and gasp! he said "im sorry"

thanks for the pm!

Back