Stepping Stones

A/N: Next chapter! I really like this chapter, and I hope you do, too. Enjoy! :woot: :D ;)

Chapter 18-

She found herself unable to get out of bed that morning; she was overcome by the sadness she had contained for all these years, and it was really taking its toll on her.

Her father had come in to wake her up when he didn’t see her at breakfast. At first, it was a simple, “Get up, Sydney! You’re going to be late for school!” But when he came back ten minutes later and she hadn’t moved a bit, he realized there was something wrong.

“Sydney… are you not feeling well?”

He really didn’t have to ask her that question, because his answer lay upon her face; she wasn’t physically sick, but it was obvious that some kind of virus had infected her and was eating away; an emotional virus.

At first, he didn’t know what to do or say. Its was clear she wasn’t getting up, but he knew it wasn’t healthy for her to sit in bed and cry all day. Still… she wasn’t ready to face the day.

“Sydney… do you want to stay home today? I can take the day off, too,” he said.

She didn’t answer, and simply turned onto her side, her back facing him. She wasn’t crying, but he could hear her whimpers, which almost broke his heart in two.

“Sydney…”

He was never good at these kind of things. Laura was the one who took care of Sydney’s problems; she was the one who kissed and bandaged the wound, and comforted her. Since her death, surprisingly, Sydney had no need for such care anymore, at least he thought, so, he never bothered to try. Now, when she needed him most, he felt completely useless.

“What do I say? What can I say?” he thought.

He knew that his words alone wouldn’t reach her, so he was left with nothing to do but stand by her side, incase she did need him.

“She’s so strong… she’s gone ten years without a single tear, or asking for attention once. My presence my have little influence… but at least its something. And right now, it’s the only thing I can give her.”

----------

He hadn’t seen Sydney all morning, and immediately started to worry. Most people would say that he was over exaggerating, but he knew Sydney, and she wouldn’t just miss school for no apparent reason. She did tell him that she would be here, and she wasn’t, so what could have happened?

“Maybe she’s sick?” Weiss suggested.

“No, that’s not it. I was with her last night, and she was perfectly fine. Something’s happened…,” he replied.

“Well, I’m sure its nothing major that you need to stress over. Maybe something came up at the last minute?” Weiss said.

Knowing that he wasn’t getting anywhere, he decided to seek out the one person who might have answers; Francie. He knew where she ate lunch, and made his way over to meet with her.

“What’s up?” she asked, looking at him expectantly.

“Do you know what’s wrong with Sydney?” Vaughn asked.

“No. She wasn’t in class this morning, but I just thought she might have been sick or something. Who knows?” Francie explained.

“No, she’s not sick. Sydney’s never been sick a day in her life… at least, she wasn’t,” Vaughn replied.

“Really? Then… hmm… I don’t know. I’m sure there’s a reason, though. I mean, if something really bad happened, we’d know, right?” Francie said.

“Yeah…,” was all he said.

He decided that he wouldn’t know unless he went himself, so he drove over to Sydney’s house, hoping Jack wasn’t there, and if he was, he wouldn’t kill him. Sure enough, with his luck, Jack Bristow was the one who answered the door.

“Mr. Bristow, I-”

“Come in,” was all Jack said.

Vaughn was expecting him to slam the door on his face, or yell at him, and was completely shocked when he allowed him into his home.

“To be honest,” Jack started, “I’m glad you’re here.”

“Well, that’s a first,” Vaughn joked, “What’s wrong?”

“I don’t know. She’s not herself,” was all Jack said.

Vaughn was confused, and without Jack’s permission, ran up the stairs to Sydney’s room. She lay in her bed, curled in a ball, a broken look upon her face. Vaughn immediately felt his heart shatter, and he walked over to comfort her.

“Hey, Syd! Its me!” he said, as she looked over to him, “What’s wrong.”

“Michael?” she uttered.

He smiled, and nodded. Suddenly, she charged him, knocking him over. She clung tightly to his chest, and began to sob, “I’m so glad you’re here! Don’t you ever leave me again!”

“Apparently, the situation is worse than I thought,” he mumbled, drawing her in closer.

He didn’t know what it was that was making her like this; she was fine last night, and now, she was a wreck? Did Jack do something?

“Shh… its okay. I’m here now,” he whispered, trying to soothe her.

“You… and then my mom… and now my dad… and everything… and-”

“Syd, relax. Everything’s fine,” he whispered.

She was obviously having some sort of midlife crisis… only it wasn’t midlife. What triggered her breakdown? What was she trying to tell him? He hated seeing her in this state, and hoped that he’d figure the problem out soon, so he could fix it.

“Sydney, I’ll be back in a minute. I need to talk to your father. Do you understand?” he asked.

She nodded her head in response, and he gave her a reassuring smile before disappearing through her door. Jack was already standing there, expecting this.

“What the hell happened to her!?” he asked.

“I can’t be sure. She had a breakdown last night. I… I did say some things to her,” he admitted.

“Like what!?” Vaughn yelled.

“What any parent would say to his daughter who arrived home past curfew from a date with a boy! And don’t you dare take that condescending tone with me! You’re as much to blame for this!” Jack explained, “In fact, I told her she wasn’t aloud to see you, and the only reason I’m allowing you to see her right now is because of her condition.”

“Well… our fighting isn’t going to help her,” Vaughn said.

“Precisely. Right now, she needs both of us. So… lets continue this fight after she’s well again.”

Vaughn never thought he’d hear those words from Jack Bristow; he was calling a truce. He was glad, but a little shocked. He knew he shouldn’t be, though; if he was sure of one thing, it was that Jack Bristow would do anything to ensure his daughter’s safety.

He watched as Vaughn walked back into his daughter’s room, in an attempt to comfort her. It was clear that the boy had much more influence than he did.

“How could I have let things get this bad? I can’t even help my own daughter, and this boy can soothe her with a single word. She hasn’t even seen him in ten years, so how can his words have such an effect?” Jack wondered, as he watched Vaughn rock Sydney slowly.

“No. Time and distance is nothing. Not on them. I should have seen it before. How could I have been so stupid? Theirs is a bond that nothing can sever. Even after all these years, he’s been at the forefront of her mind.”

This epiphany filled him with a sense of hope, and he decided that it was his turn to act as the father and take care of his daughter in need. He entered the room, and sat down on the bed, next to her. Her head was resting against Vaughn’s chest, and while normally he would have strangled him, he instead smiled; that last thing he needed was to make her feel even worse.

“Dad,” she uttered, her voice horse.

“Yes, sweetheart?” he asked, concerned.

“Thanks. I mean, for everything. For being here, and for caring,” he replied, sniffling.

He smiled, “Of course. Always.”

She smiled back, and for the first time in ages, they came to a mutual understanding. Nothing could have made him happier.

“I’ll leave you two alone,” Jack said, leaving Vaughn to try and coax Sydney out of her depression.

As he walked down the stairs and into the kitchen to pour himself a cup of coffee, he whispered, “You have no idea how happy I am to hear those words.”

Aww Vaughn left school to check on Syd...he's too perfect!!
-I'm glad Jack cared for her and allowed Vaughn to be with her!!
Loved it!! Thanks for the pm!!

im glad that both Jack and Vaughn are helping her
keeping in your emothions for a long period of time is never a good idea
thanks for the pm

aww jack came to a truce just for his daughter! he is becoming more caring!

i love how vaughn left school to see if syd is ok, he is perfect!

great update and thanks for the pm!

I'm glad that Jack and Vaughn have called a truce...
Glad that Jack was there for Syd
and that Vaughn is there for Syd.
Can't wait for more.
Thanks for the pm.

Back