Summer of No Regret

lenafan

Cadet
AUTHORS NOTE: Had to write this as a follow-up to Time to Say Goodbye. In our hearts, as much as we didn’t want it to be, the death of Irina Derevko at the hands of her husband was not accepted as readily as JJ intended. It was evident that the actor, who played the part for one season did not want to return…so he “JJ” had to move on with his story. However, fan fiction being what it is, won’t allow this powerful woman character to die.
SUMMARY: Jack brings home the only woman he loved. According to the doctors in Russia, she has advanced tuberculosis and is dying slowly. He did not want her to die alone.
RATING: PG-13

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>SUMMER OF NO REGRET</span>
By Lenafan

Part 1- Homecoming

“Yes, Ben. It’s finished.” Jack was on his cell phone to Langley, reporting to Ben Devlin, an old friend and colleague in the CIA.

He was in a private jet heading toward the U.S. over the polar route. As he spoke, his hand rested on the plain box, a coffin, with Irina inside. He closed the cell, ending the call. Turning to the box, he removed the nails. As soon as the top was nail-free, he quickly put it onto the floor. From a black bag on a nearby seat, he removed vials and a syringe with a long needle. He unzipped the body bag, revealing his wife who looked as if she were dead. Pulling some liquid from a vial into the syringe, he plunged it quickly into her chest. Waiting as the liquid took did its work, Jack took out another syringe and filled it with a different fluid.

He turned back to the box and saw Irina’s eyes open. Success, he thought. He bent down and patted one of her thin cheeks. “You feel okay?” He whispered although there was no one in the body of the plane. The pilot and co-pilot were busy in the cockpit getting the plane into its flight plan. They would be back later, but by that time, the box would be sealed again.

“What happened to me? Where am I?” She demanded.

“I’ve released you from the hospital. I’m taking you to LA.”

“Am I dead?” Irina definitely remembered telling Jack that when she died, he could take her back to LA.

“No and not yet for a while I hope. I’m going to put you asleep now. When you wake up, you will be home, but first drink this water.” He handed her a small half-liter bottle. He watched as she did as he told her. “Sorry about the coffin, but you were dead according to the doctor and I needed to get you on board the plane as fast as possible.” He took the empty bottle from her and then inserted the needle into a vein on her thin arm.

Irina awoke several hours later to find herself in a clean bed and in a room with pictures on the wall and a television. She turned her head to see a tray on wheels, bed stand with yellow roses on it, and Jack sitting next to her. She smiled. “Hello, Jack,” she said thickly.

“Laura, I’m glad you are awake.” He stood. “I’m due back to work tomorrow and you and I must talk.”

“Irina!” She corrected. “Where am I?”

“In a sanitarium, but I won’t tell you where. You are registered as Laura Bristow, my wife. I’m sure you won’t have any trouble remembering that.” His dark, almost cold, eyes regarded her without feeling at least that was what she thought.

“No,” she whispered, now realizing what he was saying.

“You are here for treatment of the tuberculosis. I want you to tell them anything they want to know. I have every confidence in your ability to remember everything about Laura. I have told them you were in a remote area of Russia along the Russian-China border, working for an organization called Unifam. Can you remember that?”

“Yes. Wait…that’s Arvin’s organization, isn’t it?” She was frowning a little.

“Yes, but I’ve already doctored the files in the personnel office. There are over two thousand employees and he does not know all of them. He would have no reason to check.

“Furthermore, I brought you here, because you fell ill and there were no good doctors in that area. I am confident you can lie well, but do not get yourself entangled in a story that might prove difficult to maintain. Do you understand?”

“Yes.” Irina knew she could not forget what he was telling her. She was not stupid and he knew that. However, she kept her mouth shut from making any sort of retort that would irritate him.

The door opened and a man and woman entered. “I see she’s awake,” said the man. He came to the side of the bed, looking down at her. “My name is Dr. Bradley, Lee Bradley. I’m your doctor, Mrs. Bristow. This is Joan Aiken, the nurse on this shift. We’re going to be taking care of you. We will be taking x-rays today, blood work-up, and various tests. We want to know how extensive the TB is. Your husband here told us you’ve been working in a remote area where medical facilities and treatment were not available.”

“Yes.” Irina glanced at Jack. She decided she would not give out any information unless absolutely necessary.

“Can you give us a few minutes, Doctor,” Jack said, “I’d like to tell my wife something more before I leave.”

“Of course,” the doctor and nurse left.

Jack turned to Irina. “I know you will cooperate. It is in your best interests. I won’t be able to come everyday, but know this, I will be in touch with the doctor to learn of any progress or event relating to your illness.” He leaned down. “Laura, do as they say.” He kissed her on her forehead, stroked her hair for a brief moment, and then left the room.

Laura Bristow was now in a hospital/sanitarium somewhere in the Los Angeles area, but she had no idea where, yet.

Jack Bristow stood talking to Dixon in the Rotunda. Sydney had gone to find a Rambaldi artifact the Covenant had located. Nadia Santos had disappeared with Sloane. He was worried about Sydney, but he kept reminding himself she was an extraordinary woman and well known in the intelligence world. Her ability to disguise herself, her ability to speak seventeen languages and dialects made it nearly impossible for the enemy, whomever they might be, to know whom they were dealing with at any one moment. Sark was a CIA prisoner once more. Lauren was on the loose again. Vaughn had caught up with her a week ago, but while trying to extract information from her, was stabbed by Katya Derevko according to Weiss. He had been in the hospital up until a day ago when he signed himself out rather suddenly after learning Sydney was on her way to Sicily.

Now the CIA was at a loss to know where two of their best agents were exactly. Jack and Dixon had just learned Vaughn was flying to Palermo, Sicily. Jack wanted to go after him and Dixon was giving him his orders.

“Will you relay any messages concerning Sydney to me,” asked Jack.

“Of course,” answered Dixon.

He got the word from Ben Devlin at Langley. The SAB-47 file had been stolen. Jack needed information fast. He called Marshall and gave him the bare facts. Fifteen minutes later Jack had the name of a bank in Wittenberg, Germany. Lauren Reed had rented a safety deposit box there. Jack gave the pilot new heading and had him notify the air traffic of their ultimate destination. He sat stonily on a bench seat in the cargo plane wondering if he would be in time.

He entered the bank too late. Sydney was reading the file. Jack stood watching her read her own file and saw tears streaming down her face. “You were supposed to never find this,” he said. She ignored him and continued reading.

Finished, she stood, looking at him with something close to hate. “You stay away from me.” She walked past him. “Don’t ever talk to me again.”

Miserable, Jack watched her leave. He knew she had seen the last notation in the file. He killed her mother and the CIA had authorized the sanction. Jack was caught in a dilemma of his own making and he could not do any more than just watch his beloved daughter rush out of his life. He turned slowly and followed. She was gone when he left the bank. He had a secret that he could not divulge to anyone, not even Sydney. He had to get Irina well enough to help him find out who and why Sydney had been targeted.

*** :madfire:

Part 2 - Tumor

Jack received a call from Dr. Bradley a few days after he left Laura in their care. X-rays had revealed a tumor on her left lung at the top. It was causing the severe cough by pressure from the mass. The doctor had no idea yet if it was cancerous. They wanted to do a biopsy.

“Why can’t you just take it out?”

“We need to be sure that it is not terminal.”

Jack hesitated, “Why did the Russian doctor assume it was tuberculosis?”

“I don’t know, but we need your permission.”

“Ask my wife.”

“She’s confused. She thinks she has TB and is dying.”

Jack winced, realizing Laura, he now thought of her only by that name, was scared as well as confused. “Can you put her on the line.”

“Yes,” Dr. Bradley, “just a moment.” It was evident he was just outside her room. “Here she is.”

Jack heard Irina’s voice, “Laura, listen carefully. It seems you are not dying. You don’t have TB, but you have a tumor that can be treated. Give Dr. Bradley permission and sign the forms.” He listened. “Darling, this is good news. Let him do what he has to do. I’ll be there.”

Deep in thought, Jack stared at the wall in front of him. The biopsy proved the tumor to be encapsulated and low grade, but large enough to have caused the missed diagnosis. Dr. Bradley removed it. Jack was at Irina’s bedside waiting to tell her the news. He also had to deal with Sydney’s attitude toward him when the black ops group was brought together. He knew she was angry. He would try to talk to her, but he doubted it would happen soon and he still did not know how often he’d be able to see Laura.

Laura stirred and coughed. The monitor jumped and beeped. Jack turned to see her looking at him. “Hello,” she said.

“Hello,” he responded with a slight smile. “Everything went as planned. Tumor’s gone. Dr. Bradley said it was large enough to have made your doctors in Russia believe their diagnosis. I think he was being diplomatic.” He reached for her hand, patting it. She had a drip going in that one. The other had a finger monitor on it checking her blood pressure. There was another wire coming out from her chest monitoring her heart.

“Thank you,” she whispered.

“Laura, I want you to do everything the doctor asks. As soon as you feel up to it, I’m going to take you home.”

She stared at him, “Jack, isn’t that dangerous. CIA finds me…?” She left the sentence unfinished. “…And Sydney, what if she comes to visit you?”

Jack winced, his mind shooting back to two days previous when Sydney joined the APO team and treated him like dirt. She would not speak to him nor look at him. Inside he wanted to cry out that he had not killed her mother, but he said nothing. Sloane who knew about the sanction and did not seem fazed by the revelation the woman who bore his only child was dead, urged him to tell Sydney why. Jack knew that was impossible because he didn’t know why, just that Irina Derevko was not the one who put out the contract to kill her daughter. She was in a hospital, very ill. Jack would not tell anyone, not even Sydney.

“She won’t,” he said quietly. “She hates me.”

Laura stared at him. “Jack…I’m…” His look stopped her from saying more.

“I don’t need your sympathy, just do as I say. I want you healthy enough to help me find out exactly who it was…and if it was Katya, where I might find her. I do not want any more contracts put out on our daughter’s life.”

Then the unbelievable happened. The APO’s quarry, Tomasaki alias Vadeek, had tried to kill Sydney, after taking the Shintaro sword from her. Nadia had come to the rescue as Sydney was fighting for her life, trying to keep from drowning in the hideous mask. Sydney chased him into the meat packing plant that was the front for his hideout and killed him, but before he died, Tomasaki revealed that he had been contacted about killing of Sydney Bristow. It was Irina Derevko, who ordered the hit. However, she was killed the day before payment was made.

At APO headquarters, Sydney confronted her father. “You killed Mom in order to save me?” He nodded and tried to touch her. She backed away. “Why did she want me dead?”

“I don’t know,” was his agonized response. Sydney rushed out of the room not wanting him to touch her yet.

Heartbroken, Jack drove to the private hospital where he had taken Laura. He walked to her room, wondering what was going to happen next between him and his daughter. Would she forgive him? He didn’t know, but with his ‘dead’ wife’s help, he was going to find out before someone else got ‘a contract.’

He told Laura what happened. She could see the misery in his eyes and on his face. Her heart went out to him, but their strained relationship kept her from saying anything other than, “I’m sorry.”

“I’ve got to find out why,” he said. “I’m going to need your help. Dr. Bradley says you can leave the hospital at the end of the week.” He sat down. “I’m arranging for a full time nurse to monitor your progress and take care of your wounds. I will probably be in and out since I’m employed by the agency. I need you to start thinking about why and who. If it was your sister, I still need to know why.”

“I don’t need anyone to stay with me.” She said sharply.

“You do for at least a couple of weeks.” His tone told her not to object any further. “I’ll be back to pick you up at the end of the week. Meanwhile start thinking and evaluating.”

On the drive back to the house, he began to assess the information he had and how was he going to get more data to use. He drove into his garage and sat in the car thinking. He needed Laura’s help and he needed more than her knowledge. She had to be able to do some legwork for him when necessary. Yet letting her loose in the city could be deadly, not for anyone, but for her. If anyone spotted her, recognized her, it would be over. The CIA would certainly come after him for falsifying her death.

Walking into the house, he went directly to his bedroom. He pulled out a drawer and, from under neatly folded underwear, lifted out a picture. It was a picture of a young, beautiful Laura Bristow, taken soon after they were married. He had never thrown it away, even after they told him she was a KGB agent, a spy, and assassin. Sloane was right. Jack had not cared to know she was a secret agent. He loved her from the depths of his soul. For him, it was forever. He had come to hate what she did to him and to friends, but on a deep personal level, he still loved Laura no matter how hard he fought it. Now he knew it had been the same for her…that in spite of the original purpose to use him and get information…she had come to love him, especially after Sydney was born.

He sat on the edge of the bed looking at the picture, but now with an analytical eye. He had seen Sydney time after time turn herself into someone else and pull it off. So why not Laura? She had as many skills in her repertoire. All that was needed was to change her into someone else permanently. Sydney was upset with him and he doubted she would make any effort to drop ‘in’. She would probably call first. Nadia had never seen her mother. She did not know what she looked like other than pictures taken by the CIA, so if she did come by and happen to see Laura, she would accept her as Jack’s new friend. If she told Sydney, that would make her even madder. His taking up with another woman after killing her mother would not sit well with her.

Jack jumped up after replacing the picture and walked into the room he reserved for his office. He had special high-powered computer, which was installed with many Marshall Flinkman innovations. Marshall could work miracles and would do almost anything Jack asked of him now. He turned it on and while waiting for it to take him to the program he wanted; he wondered how well Laura would take what he proposed.

“That sounds as sensible a solution as any,” she said after he told her what he wanted to do.

“Then you agree to everything.”

“Absolutely. Jack, it’s brilliant. I’m willing to do anything to find out if Katya was behind this or someone else. I want to know why also.” Laura’s only regret was the loss of her long hair, but she said nothing. He was right. Change was necessary, top to bottom.

He had just helped her into bed after bringing her home, explaining everything to her in detail. “There will be no turning back, Laura. Irina Derevko is dead. Understand that what we do will be done to keep you alive.”

*** :(

Part 3 - Healing

Jack was busy, very busy with the APO division. He was their gamesman, the planner for the missions. Sydney was still estranged. She could not put the idea away that her mother had put out a contract on her life. She just could not believe it. She could not talk about it to Jack, especially after Nadia promised to find and kill the man who killed their mother. She had Vaughn back in her life. However, she had not asked him to move in with her. She decided to keep Nadia as her roommate and they had an understanding about Vaughn and his presence. Nadia was still grieving for her mother so Sydney warned Vaughn never to speak of Irina when Nadia was around. She did not tell him yet of Nadia’s promise.

The missions went well, especially with Nadia’s presence. Sloane was happier than he’d been in a long while. His beloved Emily was dead, but now he had Nadia. Jack never spoke of Irina to anyone. He wanted her to disappear from everyone’s minds. However, he soon learned that to her daughters, she would never be forgotten. Jack, unfortunately, was Nadia’s target for questions since he had been married to Irina.

He tried to be as honest as he could, never shield Irina for Nadia’s sake. He told her everything that happened while they were married: the assassinations, her spying. He also told her she was a devoted mother to Sydney during her first six years. Irina never wavered in seeing their daughter was raised with a lot of love and caring. That was what it made it so hard when she ‘died’ in the accident, especially for Sydney.

“I never told her about Irina’s duplicity.” Nadia sat listening to Jack one afternoon as Sydney and Dixon prepared for a mission. Neither Nadia nor Vaughn was included this time. “She found out by herself, but erroneously believed I was the double agent. It got so bad that the directors felt it was time she knew the truth.”

That evening Jack returned home to find Laura working out on the exercise machine he had bought. “How do you feel?” He could see she was sweating.

“I’m stiff. It’s been a long time without training.” She smiled at him getting off the apparatus.

He picked up a towel she had on a chair near by and began wiping away the sweat. She stared at him as he wiped her face and neck. “You’d better shower.” He said, turning away.

“Jack…I…” Laura started to say something and then stopped, walking past him toward the bathroom.

He stared after her. He wanted to tell her something, but…he shook his head and went to the kitchen to pour a shot of Chivas. He took it into the living room, sat down, and sipped, thinking about the next step. There was a doctor in Denver who owed him a huge favor and he knew he would collect. He would take Laura there. He closed his eyes.

Laura stood toweling her hair watching Jack. He had fallen asleep with his drink in his hand. He looked peaceful, but there were signs of stress on his face. From the little he told her, the relationship between him and Sydney was not good, nor did it seem to improve as the days passed. Her heart ached for him and for Sydney. From what she had seen while in the cell at the CIA headquarters, Jack always protected Sydney and she knew he loved their daughter very much. He had gone so far as to set her up as the fall guy in the Madagascar affair. She could not blame him. Irina Derevko was his worst nightmare come true.

She went into the kitchen, opening the freezer. She pulled out the Absolut vodka he purchased for her and poured a shot into a glass. She downed it, walking to the door to stare at her husband. She needed him. Laura put the glass down and walked to the bedroom she had been given by him. She did not share his bed…yet. She leaned against the dressing table, staring into the mirror. Her body was on fire just thinking about Jack and how much she wanted him again.

That night after dinner, she turned in early. She was reading a beginning book on the Swedish language. Jack had given it to her. Saying, “I want you to learn Swedish. You need a cover for the slight accent you have. Sweden is going to be your new country.”

Laura laughed. “Thanks, I can’t think of a more diverse language.”

Lying on her stomach, Laura was immersed in the Swedish phrases when she sensed someone enter the room. She looked over her shoulder to see Jack standing beside the bed. “What?”

“I want you to come back to our bed.” He held his hand out to her. “I need you.”

Laura smiled and rolling over, took his hand. He pulled her close and kissed her. They stood together kissing for what seemed an eternity. Then he swept her up into his arms and carried her into their bedroom. She always slept naked and still did. He put her down and removed her robe.
His eyes and then his mouth devoured her lips, neck, and breasts. She felt herself lifted and gently put onto the bed. He never stopped even as he took her, sliding inside.

“Oh God,” she cried as emotion blacked out everything in her mind except Jack. They moved together in perfect rhythm. She clasped her legs around his, her long arms reaching for his buttocks. “Jack…Jack…Oh God…f*uck me…Jack…” Laura felt the orgasm building inside her. She knew he hadn’t achieved his yet. “Oh…oh…” She fell silent as she reached for her climax. She exploded. “Oh Jack,” she screamed. She felt his fluid flood her as he too ejaculated. It was amazing to her that after so long a time they achieved so much pleasure in each other.
Jack held her in his arms, his eyes closed, thinking about the past and the future. They were older, but had lost none of the zest for each other’s body. He felt so relaxed and suddenly very sleepy. He rested his hands on her breasts for a moment. “I love you,” he whispered in her ear.

“I feel the same,” she turned on her side, facing him. She kissed him and then laid back, her head on his arm. “Thank you,” she said. When there was no response, she saw he had fallen asleep. Smiling to herself, Laura closed her eyes. She was truly home again.

The next morning Jack rolled out of bed, discovering Laura was gone. He checked the bathroom, but it was empty. However, there were signs she had been there. Then he heard the humming. It came from the kitchen. She was cooking. He showered quickly and after putting on his clothes, noticed by his watch he did not have much time.

“Laura,” he said walking into the kitchen. “I’m due at…” He stopped. There was a plate at the table with an omelet, bacon and a piece of toast, buttered. He wasted no time and ate. Laura had not been a good cook, but she had mastered the omelet. “Good,” he said forking in a mouthful of egg.

She stood watching him, a cup of coffee in her hand, smiling. “Thank you for last night.”

He looked up sharply, “I meant everything I said.”

“Jack…I…I don’t understand after everything I’ve done to you…and to Sydney.”

“Laura, is your conscience bothering you? I never thought you had one?” Now he was being a bastard. “Too late! What I want you to do is forget the past. You have two daughters who live in a dangerous world. One was targeted for death. You and I are going to find out why. First, however, you are going to become someone new.”

She flinched at his hardness knowing that he was right. They had only one objective: find out who and why.

Jack finished his coffee and then looked at her. “Can I count on your cooperation one hundred percent?”

“Yes, sweetheart, you can.” She had not called him that for years.

He stood up, took her in his arms, and kissed her on the nose, then lips. “Study that Swedish book. I’m going to test you tonight. For the record, Laura, I love you and a part of me never stopped loving you.”

“Me too!” she whispered as he left the room. She wanted to hurl something at the wall. She wanted to hear the sound of what she felt…the wasted years.

*** :angry:

More! More! More! The chapters are well written and well thought out. i love the way you blend J.J's world with your own.

Katrina Halliwell Posted Yesterday, 06:59 PM

It's a wonderful fic, Bev! I just don't get why Jack is so cold.

Hummm, well I thought they warmed things up abit, but the story isn't over...
Jack is a careful man and he is trying to get his family back together alive...

:cool:

Part 4 – Name change

“You’re name is Joanna Olson. I will now call you that forever. There is no going back, Joanna.”

Jack had brought her back from the beautician friend—a retired former CIA agent who owed Jack her life. He had saved her from certain death at the hands of an Arab terrorist when she had been on assignment in Egypt. She retired, not wanting anything more to do with the CIA or being a secret agent.

“Jack, I owe you. If ever I can do something for you—that isn’t illegal, I will.” She kissed him and disappeared.

He found her in the Silverlake district in L.A. and during the weekend he had off, he drove Joanna to her house. There he instructed Joanna to work with his friend for a new look. Three hours later, a startling blond woman with a stunning haircut walked out into the living room.

“What do you think, Jack,” asked Joanna.

“You look…look so hot.” It was not in Jack’s vernacular, but he had heard Vaughn say it about Sydney.

Joanna’s mouth dropped open, “I beg your pardon?”

Jack laughed. He stood up and held both her upper arms, looking her over. “I meant what I said. You look as hot as Vaughn thinks of Sydney.”

She blushed, as the beautician entered the room. “I did a special dye job. It will last just a bit longer…” She held out a large bottle, “This is a special formula I used. You have to use it at least every month in order to keep the hair this color and the roots from showing. I showed her what to do.” She kissed him. “No one would ever believe how much she changed.”

“Thank you,” he handed her some money.

“I owed you the favor, but…” she swept the bills up into her hand, “I can use some extra cash.” Her eyes widened when she saw the amount. “Hey, I didn’t do anything dishonest, did I?”

Jack shook his head, grinning. “Take care.”

“Yes and you too. If you need me, you know where I am.”

On the drive back to town, Jack handed Joanna the resume he had put together, including family history, school history and completed documents that made Joanna Olson alive. There was a driver’s license, a social security card, an insurance card and clipped to it, a medical history. It wasn’t long nor significant, but she needed every piece of information about Joanna Olson he could think of in order not to be caught.

“Memorize everything.”

“Was I married?”

“I thought about it, but that might complicate matters—family of the groom, etcetera. No, keep it to the minimum.” He pulled into a gas station. “Look this over too! You have a car and it is insured. Your last ticket was ten years ago, but you’ve been a good driver since then. You have not had any accidents.” He got out and pumped gas.

That night Jack watched his wife dish up the Chinese take-out. They were having it for dinner. Joanna could not cook well. He had to change that. He made a notation in a small notebook in his pocket.

That night in bed, he held her in his arms. “Like the new you?”

“So far,” she answered sleepily. “What’s next?”

“I’m going to be gone for a few days on assignment. I want you to take some basic cooking lessons.”

“What?” She sat up, looking down at him. “What’s wrong…” She saw the look on his face and laughed. “Okay, what kind of lessons?”

“American food!” He saw her eyes widen as she leaned over his face, searching his eyes for a sign of laughter, but he was serious. “You won’t learn everything, but it will be a start. I expect some good food when I return. “Now kiss me,” Jack whispered.

Joanna Olson did and with so much fervor, he had to push her away. “I love you,” she said, sliding down to lay her head on his shoulder. She sighed.

“Don’t,” he said quietly, “don’t think about the past…only our future.”

Jack arranged with Sloane to take a week off, while APO did some upgrading of equipment and computer software by Marshall. Sydney was going on a vacation with Vaughn. Even Nadia was going to fly back to Argentina to close her apartment, pack her things for the permanent move back to Los Angeles. He decided to drive to Denver with Jo. He did not plan to stay too long even if it was necessary for Jo to stay longer. There could be no deviation from his normal routine.

Dr. Franz Krueger was one of the best plastic surgeons in the mile high city. Years ago, his wife and daughter had been kidnapped for ransom. Jack, a friend of Dr. Krueger’s brother, was asked to help them. The doctor did not want to call the FBI. The kidnappers said they had access to information that would tell them if he called in law enforcement. If he did, they promised to kill first his wife, then his daughter. Jack came instead.

The police never found the killer of three men in a warehouse in the industrial part of the city. There was no evidence anywhere of what happened. Three dead and absolutely no motive. Dr. Krueger told Jack when he held his wife and child in his arms that he would do anything for him whenever he asked and whatever he wanted. Jack smiled and shook his hand.

Now Jack was back with a lovely blond woman. She was tall, willowy, and blue-eyed. The doctor was asked to change her facial appearance no questions asked.

“Oh course,” said Franz. He asked Jo to sit in his exam chair so he could look at her. He put on overhead bright lights. Studying her face, he asked Jack, “She’s lovely. What do you think of breaking her nose and doing a light face-lift? It will take away these wrinkles,” he pointed to her eyes and mouth. “I don’t like to do anything radical, because she has good muscle and skin tone.”

“How will she look?” Jack asked.

“Let me show you.” Franz turned his computer on which was located on nearby table. He picked up a digital camera. “Look directly into the lens, Miss Olson.” He attached the camera to the computer, tapped a few keys and moments later her face appeared. The doctor adjusted the program and before Jack’s eyes; he saw what she would look like after the doctor was finished. The broken nose definitely changed the character of her face along with her blond hair and blue eyes.

Jack whistled and motioned Jo to come over to look. “What do you think? Will Syd know you?”

“It would be difficult,” she answered stiffly, her eyes narrowing. In her heart, she felt a pang of regret. She could interact with Sydney who might not suspect anything, yet Joanna would know that they would never have the mother/daughter relationship again.

Jack could feel her regret and sorrow, but this must be done. “Go ahead, Doctor. How long will she need to be here?”

“About three weeks, because we don’t want anything to show. You want her completely healed?”

“Yes,” Jack nodded.

Part 5 – She’s back

“What the hell?” Jack heard someone knocking and ringing the doorbell. Joanna began to stir also.

“Who-who…” she was groggy, trying to wake up.

Jack rolled out of bed and threw on his robe. “Stay where you are and be quiet.” He warned, closing the door after him.

“Who is it,” he called, looking at his watch. It was a little before midnight.

“It-it-its me, Marshall.”

Jack threw the deadbolt and opened the door. “Marshall? What the devil brings you out at this time of night?”

“She…she’s back!”

“Who?”

“I was monitoring some email intercepted by Echelon…just curious, and came across some information you would want to know. Katya Derevko is in Moscow. J-just arrived, at least th-that’s what I think from what I read. Here…” He handed Jack two sheets of computer printout. “I didn’t call, because you said you didn’t want anyone to know.”

“Yes, thank you, Marshall. I appreciate your effort.”

Marshall grinned. “You’re welcome.” He turned and hurried off. He was spending too much time at the office and Carrie was getting peevish about it.

Jack threw the deadbolt and took the papers back into his office. He read them over and left them on his desk.

“Who was that?” asked Joanna sleepily.

“Marshall. He’s located Katya.”

Joanna shot up out from the covers. “Where?”

“Moscow. Go to sleep. We’ll make plans tomorrow.”

Part 6 - Katya

Katya was drawing a bath. She had returned from Beijing only 19 hours ago and she wanted one desperately. The Covenant council had spent hours with her debriefing what she had accomplished. She spent several weeks with the Covenant’s Chinese contingent and dealing with them had been difficult. Their heritage deemed it necessary for her to kowtow, because she was a woman. God, how she hated that word, kowtow. However, she had dealt with them forcibly enough that she felt she had their respect, especially when she shot the second in command without any warning. She told the man she put in charge she was the boss and he had better not cause any more trouble or he too would be shot. She was glad; however, she had two burly tall bodyguards with her.

She tossed her clothes carelessly on the bed. She was thankful for one thing. Irina had deeded the apartment to her and she luxuriated in the silence. Katya Derevko did not have to share her rooms anymore. Irina, her older sister, was not at her own apartment. She tried several times to call her, but there had been no answer. She would have to go over to see if anyone knew where she had gone.

Katya stepped into the hot water. Her eyes closed for a moment as she felt the steaming water take away the ache in her feet. Slowly, she turned and sat down, sliding into an almost prone position. The water came up to her neck and the heat permeated her skin and muscle. It was far too long on board the plane, even though they did stop once to refuel. She closed her eyes.

“Hello, Katya!”

She sat up and water sloshed over the tub onto the floor. “S*hit, Jack, where did you come from and what are you doing in my apartment?” She did not cover her breasts as she stared up into his face.

Jack squatted, mentally thinking he’d better not stay too long in this position. “I came to pay my respects.”

“What are you talking about?”

He had a cold look on his face. “I came to see what Sydney had done for her mother.”

“Irina?” Katya did not like the sound of his words. She did not speak English as well as Irina, but she could understand well enough.

“No one told you?”

“Told me what?” Katya stood up. She motioned to him to hand her a towel. Jack stood thankfully and reached for the towel on the rack behind him.

“Irina was killed about three months ago.” He gave the towel to her. “How long have you been away? Didn’t anyone contact you?”

Katya’s mouth dropped open. She felt her heart thump and it began beating loudly. She was stunned. The last she heard was Irina had returned to Moscow after living in London for almost a year. She began toweling herself off, not bothering being embarrassed in front of her brother-in-law with whom she had sex when she was in Los Angeles. He was a damn good lover and she envied Irina the ten years she had with him.

“What happened?”

“Shot,” answered Jack quietly. His eyes were assessing Katya’s voice, attitude, and her look. “Of course, the police have not found the killer. Sydney found out her mother was murdered. She flew to Moscow about a week later. She told me she found Irina had been cremated. Irina’s ashes were placed in an urn and waiting for a next of kin to claim it. Sydney identified herself and took possession of the urn. Would you care to come with me to the mausoleum where she is?”

“Get out while I dress.” Katya waved him out of the bedroom where they had progressed. “It will take me only a minute.”

Jack watched her close the door. He touched his ear. “What do you think?”

Joanna was in a car in the street across from the apartment. “Jack, she was surprised.”

“We’re not finished. I want to know who put the hit on Sydney and why. Just keep listening.”

The door opened and Katya, dressed in a suit, entered. She saw Jack standing at the window staring out into the distance.

“I’m ready,” she said. “I take it you have a car downstairs?”

“Yes.” He turned to the door. She followed him out and locked it.

They had gone about a mile when Jack said, “Did you know a contract had been put out on Sydney’s life?”

“What?” Katya’s mouth dropped open again. She was a Covenant leader, but Sydney Bristow was her niece. She had not been pleased when she had been ordered to find Sydney and capture her. She rolled her eyes briefly remembering how Sydney had taken her out with her tranq gun. That was embarrassing. She was nearly executed for that faux pas. Fortunately, she was as glib a talker as Irina was and she had escaped with only a mild reprimand. She was glad she was the only member who could talk to the Chinese. That had been a big factor in her escape from death.

“See, Sydney told me about Palermo and it occurred to me that you had good reason to put a hit on my daughter.”

Katya cringed inside. Jack’s voice was cold. Was he taking her – for a ride? Did he plan to kill her? “Who—who killed Irina,” Katya managed to say.

“Martin Bishop, a killer for hire.” Jack lied glibly. “Nadia Santos killed him.”

Katya turned to stare at him, “Nadia…Irina’s daughter? Where…how did she turn up? Irina’s been looking for her for years.” Katya’s inner self was excited. The Covenant had been looking for Nadia also. She kept a neutral look on her face.

Jack nodded. “Sydney found her here in Russia.” Jack did not elaborate. He knew Katya was now interested in Nadia.

“Why did she kill him and not Sydney?”

“She found out first.”

Katya studied him carefully. “Who did put out the hit?”

“I thought you might be able to fill me in on that.” Jack’s eyes burned into hers for a brief moment. His voice was not pleasant.

Oh God, she thought, I think he suspects me. She watched the street ahead filled with cars and trucks. Jack was maneuvering the car correctly, going with the flow of traffic. He signaled and turned to the right into a large opening. She glanced up and saw they were at the mausoleum. Jack pulled into a parking space.

“Let’s go to the office of the caretaker. Maybe he can tell us where she is.”

“Sure,” Katya got out. He took her arm and they crossed the drive, pausing as another car entered and parked nearby. They did not look at the driver, who was a woman and who exited her car.

Katya spoke quickly to the caretaker’s secretary who was looking up a file. She wrote a number down on a card and handed it to Jack. The pair turned and nearly ran into the attractive blond woman standing behind them.

“Sorry,” said Jack. He shepherded Katya by the woman.

Katya glanced at her and then turned her attention to Jack and the card he held in his hand. “What’s the number?”

They took the stairs to the second floor. Jack looked at the wall with numbers chiseled on it. “Which direction?”

“This way.” Katya led the way to a where a small plaque on the wall simply had Irina’s name in Russian alphabet letters.

Jack put his hand over her name, “Christ, I loved her so much,” he whispered bowing his head for a moment.

Katya watched him, her eyes puzzled by his obvious grief. “She was a spy, Jack. How can you love someone still who betrayed you?”

“Because to me she was two people: my wife, who told me she loved me as recently as two years ago when she was being held by the CIA, and the spy. I never met the spy per se. I don’t know what that person was like. Sydney met The Man who shot her and then in their next meeting killed Khasinau without blinking an eye. She never told Sydney why she did that.”

“He was a danger to her. Our father assigned Khasinau, an old KGB friend of his, to her. However, Khasinau didn’t like working for a young woman.”

“Was he her lover?” Jack asked, knowing the answer, but testing the knowledge Katya had of her sister.

She snorted. “Him? Seriously?” He shrugged. “I would swear on Lenin’s Tomb he never touched her. I know my sister. She happened to love just one man…” Her voice trailed off as her eyes caught his and held.

Jack smiled thinly and turned. “Let’s go. I’ll take you back to your apartment.”

The drive back was a silent one. Both of them were thinking about the mausoleum and its contents. Katya studied her hands, thinking about Irina and growing up in a Moscow devoid of color and fun. Being a child those days was not much fun. Irina was seriously involved with the Communist Party and her studies. Katya could remember the only time there was laughter among the Derevko girls was when they were playing soccer. Yelena was still too young, but they would take her and let her watch. She sighed bowing her head a little, trying not to cry. Her big sister was dead…murdered…and her murderer killed by one of her daughters—the one she had never seen after she was born. Fate, she thought, worked in strange ways.

Jack studied Katya out of the corner of his eye. He was convinced Katya had not put out the contract in Irina’s name. She was taking it hard and she wasn’t faking. He glanced in the rear view mirror once or twice noticing the old Volpa following them, but at a distance. As he turned into Katya’s street, the other car continued out of sight. Joanna was following instructions well, so far.

Jack parked in front of the apartment building. He went to the passenger door and opened it. Katya smiled, her blue eyes a little red from the tears she had shed. “Won’t you come up? I could fix dinner. We could talk about…her.”

“No, thanks, I came to pay my respects, but I will have a drink if you have any.” He smiled.

Katya practically leaped out of the seat. “Oh course. I don’t have scotch, just vodka.”

He shrugged. “That’s fine.” As he escorted her up the steps, he saw the old Volpa coming down the street. He knew Joanna would park across from the apartment house. He followed Katya into the out hall and then up the stairs to her apartment. He took the key from her and opened the door. Two men turned around and held guns on both of them.

“Maskali,” Katya swore. “What are you doing in my apartment?”

“We have orders to bring you and your guest to the warehouse.”

Jack said nothing, observing they were definitely in charge and he was not about to cause anyone to get hurt…yet. The two men motioned for them to leave and they followed, pulling Katya’s door shut. Jack knew he had an advantage. However, he had no gun and no other weapon. His advantage was Joanna. It was going to be tough for her to follow, but he had confidence in her ability.

“What warehouse,” he muttered to Katya.

“Shut up,” snarled one of the men. Jack did.

They were placed in the back seat of a car that already had a driver. The two men put Jack and Katya in the middle, climbing in to sit on either side. It was a tight squeeze. Each man held a gun on the prisoners. Jack could not turn around to see if the old Volpa was behind them or not. He believed in his wife’s capabilities. He would have to wait to see what this was all about.

*** :thinking:

Oh boy!! Isn't this exciting!! :woot:

Jack is so playing on Katya's feelings. I hope that Irina/Joanna can follow them and perhaps save Jack and Katya!!

Part 7 - Shot

Twenty minutes later, the cars pulled up to a set of warehouses near the Volpa River. It was late in the afternoon and the proximity of Moscow to the Arctic Circle made nighttime come faster. There was still sunlight, but there was definitely a chill in the air. Jack wished he had a hat. His ears were getting cold. He manifested no sign of discomfort, but, instead, he was curious as to what they wanted with him.

The men stopped in the center of the warehouse square. There seemed to be no activity, which he found strange. It wasn’t quitting time yet. He looked at Katya who seemed to be puzzled. Still he said nothing. Not a good idea until he knew more.

“Well, Mischa,” said Katya. “What is this about?” She rubbed her arms, glancing about.

“We were told to bring you here…” he too glanced around. Then he nodded to the left as a man walked toward them.

“Ah, little Black Sparrow. How nice to see you again…so soon.” His voice was high-pitched and didn’t match his burly body.

The speaker’s face was pockmarked by a bad case of acne. His eyes were set close to a nose that was large and hooked. His eyes were the color of fresh cow dung. Green flecks in them made it look as though he had eaten a large amount of alfalfa. Jack was startled by this rather weird thought. He waited.

“What the f*uck do you want? I thought we settled everything hours ago.”

“We’re interested in this man, who was in your apartment when you arrived. Who is he and why didn’t you notice his presence when you first arrived.”

“Idiots,” she screamed, “he’s my sister’s husband and why would I inspect my apartment. I live alone.”

“Your sister’s husband? Irina Derevko?” Now this ugly Covenant boss was staring at Jack with interest. “Why are you in Moscow?”

“I came to visit my wife’s grave.”

“So you know?”

“Of course,” Jack answered. “I killed her.”

There was stunned silence. Katya gaped at him. “No, no I don’t …,” she couldn’t go on; she was in shock.

“You killed your own wife?” Now all three men stared at him.

“She was dying from tuberculosis. She was in the Petersburg Hospital. The doctors didn’t give her much time, but she was suffering. Irina asked me to do it because she trusted I would do it.”
Jack had a sense that this knowledge was going to lead to something very bad for him. “Please feel free to check with her doctor. Her name is Miraslova. She signed the Death Certificate and I had Irina cremated.”

Cold black eyes regarded him carefully. “Irina Derevko was important to the Covenant. Now she is dead. You killed her. I do not think our boss will like that.”

Jack decided to play out this scene with bravado. “I don’t give a rat’s ass what you or your boss thinks. My wife was dying and she asked me to end her suffering. I did. Case closed.”

“Then I think you should pay for it. We needed information and Irina had it. Now it is gone unless…” he paused staring at Jack. “…unless she gave it to you—as she was dying.”

“Hardly think I’d tell you if she did,” snapped Jack. Oh, oh, he thought, bad answer.

Katya blinked a few times at Jack’s courage. He was an accomplished field agent for the CIA; he had killed many times for his country; but now, he was here not on any job, but as Irina’s husband wanting to make sure she had been properly seen to after her death. Vassillyov, the man with the hooknose, was not to be fooled with in any circumstance. Jack was creating a situation from which neither of them might leave alive.

Vassillyov grabbed Jack by his jacket, pulling him forward. “Fool, you will tell me.” He hit Jack hard in the jaw. Jack dropped to the ground, his head ringing from the blow. Vassillyov then kicked him in the back and shoulder. He was aiming another blow to Jack’s head when a shot rang out. The Russian had an astounded look on his face as he toppled backward face up onto the cement street. There were two more shots. One caught Mischa in the forehead and the other caught the third man in the back as he was turning to run. He died instantly as his spinal cord was severed and the bullet screamed into his heart.

Part 8 – Yo-yo man

Jack was tired. He managed to get Katya home. She was nearly dead on her feet, telling him she had had very little sleep since leaving Beijing. He left her after telling her he would call tomorrow. He did not tell her he would be gone. He planned to call from the plane.

He put the key in the door and opened it. Joanna ran to him, a worried frown on her face. “Are you all right,” she asked.

“Where did you get the rifle?” He gripped her right arm, his voice raspy with weariness.

“The Covenant practically owns that part of town. They have a lookout shack with a guard. He was asleep. I made sure he slept longer. There was a rifle near by. I took it and went up the fire escape. Jack, I had to do it. You and Katya were in danger.”

“How do you know?”

“Christ, Jack, I had this,” she held the mini earpiece he had given her.

“Sorry, it’s just I’m so tired.” He kissed her. “And I’m hungry!”

She stared at him for a long moment. “Don’t you trust me?”

“Yes, and for the second time, I’m sorry. I forgot you could hear everything.” He smiled at her. “What did you do with the rifle?”

“Wiped it clean and threw it into the Volpa River which is behind that warehouse.”

“Don’t you think they might dive for it?”

“I doubt it, knowing our police.” She looked into his eyes and saw he was tired. “I had Room Service bring up some sandwiches and a bottle of scotch.”

“Woman, I adore you.” He whispered kissing her lightly.

Later Jack sat on the small sofa near the television and watched the CNN news. There were assorted stories about Iraq; bombs going off all over the world it seemed; and finally a little bit of local Moscow news. Nothing reported about the three dead bodies near the Volpa warehouse district. He wondered if they had been found. The driver must have reported the event, especially the gunshots, to the Covenant.

He finished his drink and picked up the phone. When he was finished, he noticed Joanna wasn’t in the room. He walked to the doorway of the bathroom. She was sitting at a small dressing table brushing her hair. She had taken a shower and was wearing the robe the hotel provided.

“We’re leaving tomorrow morning at five. We’re going to Paris.”

“Not your plane?”

“No, it flew to Paris yesterday. I want to be far away from here as soon as possible. I’m going to the Embassy to get my things.” He took out his wallet. “Use this cash to pay the bill. No credit cards. Leave a good tip for the maid and give a small one to the clerk. Be at the airport by four sharp.”

Her dark eyes regarded him for a long moment. She had removed the blue contacts for the night. “Are you leaving now?” Her voice was low, inviting.

“Yes, we both need sleep.” He said pointedly.

She was disappointed, saying, “Of course. When will I see you?”

“In Paris,” he stepped forward and caressed her from behind. “Be careful.”

She held his hand briefly, smiling up at him in the mirror. “You too.”

He kissed the top of her head, turned and left before he gave in to the urges he felt. Jack was one of the best agents the CIA ever had and knew he had to have his strength. He never knew what might happen the next day and to him, this had been an assignment. He and Joanna would have more time together when they returned to LA.

It was in Paris that someone saw Jack. It had been a surprise to Weiss who had been sent by Sloane to pick-up information from one of Sloane’s many contacts. Jack, carrying a diplomatic pouch, exited the plane from Moscow. He was walking briskly toward one of the exits. In his other hand, he pulled a small suitcase. Weiss wondered if Sloane had sent Jack to Russia for the same reason…information. He started to walk faster in order to catch up with him, when he saw a tall blond woman approach Jack. He slowed to watch.

Moments later, she turned and walked with Jack out the exit. It piqued his curiosity. Eric went to the door and watched Jack hand the woman into the taxi. It left immediately. He thought about it for the moment, and then turned back to ticket counter to pick up his own ticket for the States. He wondered who the woman was. She certainly was beautiful. He wondered if Sydney knew her or even if she knew Jack was seeing someone. Of course, he thought, I’m possibly presuming too much.

Weiss was on a non-stop to Los Angeles and therefore, returned before Jack and Joanna. He entered the APO headquarters and gave the information packet Sloane had sent him for to Paris. Sydney was nowhere to be seen. One of the secretaries told him Sydney and Vaughn were on vacation somewhere. She would not tell him where. Weiss shrugged and left to go back to his apartment.

Driving along Sunset toward the beach, he remembered that Jack lived somewhat south of Wilshire and Beverly Hills. He turned left down Crescent Heights, heading for Santa Monica Boulevard. He paused a moment trying to remember where Sydney had shown him the home she grew up in more than twenty years ago. Then it hit him and he turned left onto Santa Monica, heading west through West Hollywood. He stayed on Santa Monica past the Beverly Hills Hotel and west into a neighborhood that was north and west of Century City. The streets here were of cement, old but sturdy, untouched by heavy truck traffic. Liquid asphalt had been used to fill in the few cracks that had opened up.

He turned right and drove slowly down a wide street. Glancing north, he could see some of the structures that were identified with the University of California at Los Angeles. He remembered Sydney telling him her mother had been a professor of English Literature and that it had been her dream to follow in her footsteps, until she learned the truth. The dream was not as powerful as it had once been.

Weiss stopped, pulling over to the curb. He sat studying the few houses he could see on either side of him. Something told him it was one of these houses. Sydney had pointed it out to him. He closed his eyes, trying to remember if they were traveling north or south on the street. He shook his head as if to clear out the extraneous muddle in his brain and clear it only for the picture of that day. He rubbed his forehead and then looked at the houses again.

A car drove by him and turned left into a driveway about six houses up from where he sat. He recognized Jack’s black Lincoln. “What luck,” he mumbled to himself. He stared as Jack stopped the car in the driveway. Someone else left the car on the other side. Eric whistled. It was the blond he’d seen with Jack. The pair walked up the steps and Jack opened the door, holding it for the woman.

“I wonder if Sydney knows about her.” Eric started up the car making a U-turn and continuing west toward his apartment. He decided not to say anything. He was CIA after all and a colleague of Jack Bristow’s. He admired the senior agent who was a legend among agents. He heard rumors that the big brass at Langley would like Jack there to be the Director of Analysts. However, Jack liked to be here with his daughter. “Maybe with a new girlfriend he’ll make changes in his life.”

Weiss drove into his garage space. He reached in his pocket for the yo-yo he always carried. Whistling and playing with the yo-yo, he entered his apartment. He was going to be interviewed tomorrow for APO. He already knew that Nadia was an agent there and he was going to be one too. That girl was gorgeous, almost as gorgeous as Sydney was. He was going to ask her for a date as soon as he was secure in APO. He decided he did not need to say anything to Sydney about her father’s new girlfriend. Weiss grimaced trying to see stiff and formal Jack in bed with a woman, let alone a gorgeous blond.

Part 9 – Set-up

During the next month, things were happening at APO. Weiss was sent to the unit much to his relief. Jack had a smile on his face some of the time. Sydney was surprised, even giving him a brief smile on one or two occasions when she forgot she was angry still about his killing Irina. Vaughn was a bit shell-shocked when Jack was pleasant to him. Sloane kept staring at Jack after several meetings. Nadia was comforted by Jack’s fatherly attention to her.

He had found an old picture of Irina in a drawer in his desk at home and he gave it to her, saying, “I thought you should have a more recent picture than the one Sydney gave you.”

“Thank you,” she said, a tear forming in one eye. All she had of her mother was Sydney, Jack, and her father, Sloane, who indicated their encounter was brief. Jack gave her a hug, albeit a quick one. Sydney had walked into Nadia’s office in time to see it and gaped open-mouthed at her father, who smiled at her and left saying nothing.

That evening at the apartment, Vaughn came over for dinner. Weiss had pitched dinner and a movie to Nadia who agreed and both were gone. Sydney kissed him at the door. She walked back to the kitchen where she was preparing dinner, pasta primavera with a green salad and a good bottle of Chianti.

Vaughn leaned against the counter smiling at her. Things were getting better between them and he was happy that they had. He was loathe to think about not having Sydney in his life and having to live with the thought of Lauren. Sydney had him open the wine while she worked on the pasta dish.

“Your father has been acting funny lately,” said Vaughn. “You notice?”

She nodded, “Yeah, he gave Nadia a picture of Mom he found and gave her a hug. I happened to enter the office at the same time.”

“What’s with him?” Vaughn was perfectly aware of Sydney’s anger at him.

“I don’t know.” She took the glass of wine he offered. “He’s kept his distance from me.” She winced thinking that she missed him and wished she could make things right, but then she thought of his killing her mother to save her. She wanted to know why Irina had done such a thing. Her last words to Sydney were “I love you.” Thinking about it made Sydney feel a pang of regret in her heart. Something was not right. Her mother wouldn’t do such a thing, and if she did, Sydney wanted to know why.

Vaughn saw her distress. He put his wine glass down and held her as tears ran down her face.
“It’s all right, Syd. You’ll find the answer some day.” He put her head on his shoulder, stroking her hair.

A few miles away, Jack was having dinner with Joanna. She had prepared roasted chicken, dressing, gravy, and peas. The classes were paying off. She was learning to cook.

“What was your day like, Jack?”

He smiled contentedly. “We’re getting ready to …” he stopped, looking at her. “You know I seem to recall those same words from our past.”

She looked at him sharply, frowned, and then chuckled. “Sorry. Have you made any progress on your inquiries regarding the contract? It seems we’ve been waiting so long for any clue.”

He put his hand over hers. “I know.” He poured a little gravy over the dressing. “We’re sending Sydney and the team to Bangladesh for the sarin pick up. The dealer wants several million dollars for the liquid. The team is to find him, deal with him, and bring him back with the nerve gas. It cannot get into the wrong hands.” He took a bite of the chicken. “It will be dangerous. We hope to have the minimum of difficulty.”

They talked of her day, which consisted of the cooking lesson earlier. Joanna followed orders well and was happy, knowing she could really cook a meal without burning anything. Years ago, she had a bad experience trying to throw a dinner party. She had also decided to take classes about world politics and history at UCLA. She made sure they were in the daytime. She wanted to talk to Jack when he got home.

The trip to Bangladesh had almost been a disaster. Sydney was almost killed when the dealer recognized her as a CIA agent. He shot her, but the bullet grazed her arm. He was shot in turn by Vaughn, who was her back up.

“Why did you try to kill me?” Sydney had not given him any reason to be suspicious of her.

“The con—contract is out. One million if you are eliminated.” Sydney was dumbfounded. According to Tomasaki, Irina Derevko was to pay him, but was killed the day before the contract was signed and he was paid the money for the job. “You are worth a lot of mon…money if…if you are…killed.”

Sydney saw his eyes close and he went limp. He was dead. She laid him on the ground, looking at Vaughn. “If Mom supposedly wanted me dead and was killed by my father before she could pay Tomasaki, who is paying now?

A week later Sydney was again nearly killed. This time someone took aim and shot at her when she was walking down the Via Dolorosa in Rome. She had gone to pick up some maps Sloane was paying a million dollars for because they showed where a treasure ship had disappeared in the late fifteen hundreds with gold and silver bars in its hold. She had the maps and when Dixon who was her point man saw the flash from a window a couple of hundred yards away, he yelled. Sydney turned just as a bullet went whizzing by her head. It came so close she imagined she could feel the heat. She ducked into a doorway, but there were no more shots. Dixon was on his mini-mike to APO and reporting it to Jack.

That night Jack told Joanna what happened.

“Again?” She looked worried.

“Yes and it wasn’t random. The man told her in the first attempt there was a million dollars on her head. If we don’t find out who is behind this, Sydney might as well stay home and work at a desk. You can guess how much she’ll like that.”

“No and neither would I!”

“She’s on her way back. I am going to design another mission and I need your help!”

She stared at him. “Of course I want to help. What have you in mind?”

He explained briefly. “I want to be sure first the leak, mole, or actual contractor is a member of the APO now.”

The next morning Sydney returned to the office. She had the maps with her, which she handed over to Sloane. He told her to go home and get some rest. She left the office, glancing toward Jack’s office. He was busy at his computer. He glanced up, saw her, and smiled briefly. Sydney was nonplussed. She shrugged and continued out the subway exit. Still the picture of him smiling at her boggled her mind. He knew she hated him for killing her mother, especially since he could not give her a reason why her mother wanted her dead.

Jack was designing the operations for a new mission that Sloane wanted to send Sydney and Vaughn on to Spain. Langley had information that Caesar Correlli, a Mafia Don, from Firenze Italy was meeting with the Damascus group in Madrid. It was the same group, who had been looking to buy Ice-5, but had been thwarted when Sydney and the strike force put an end to Fenton Keene’s scheme to sell it. Now Correlli had stolen sarin from a secret biological laboratory in Libya. He obtained it before the Kadalfi’s government, under its new policy of cooperation with the great powers, could destroy it.

Orders from their only source at Langley, Director Chase, were to get the sarin and eliminate Correlli. If he did it once, he would try again. Jack wanted to get the Damascus group also, but Sloane said it would be too much to expect the team to do both jobs at once. The CIA could monitor the group, but they wanted the sarin first.

Jack spent the better part of the day designing the operation. He also was working on an operation to coincide with the one he presented to Sloane and the others. This one he would run, with some outside help, himself. Joanna had an important job to play also. In order for this to work, she had to be his ‘contact’ with both APO and Sydney’s team.

Correlli was identified and his hotel in Madrid located. Plans were confiscated electronically from the city hall department of Public Works. Jack explained Correlli had at least five bodyguards. These were all hardened criminals with guns, knives or both. They would not hesitate to kill before asking questions. Sydney had to get Correlli alone to make it work. This was the plan he presented to the team with Sloane listening.

“Once you have him, use the ring spray.” Marshall gave Sydney a beautiful ring with a large diamond. However, as he told her, all she had to do was push down on the ring and a spray would knock the victim out.

“Will he have the sarin?”

“Yes, he will not let it out of his sight. It’s worth one hundred million Euros. It will be in this.” Jack snapped a picture on a large screen behind him. It showed Correlli with a briefcase in his hand. His five bodyguards were stationed around him as he climbed into his chauffeured limo with them following.

Jack snapped another picture onto the screen. “This is the Madrid Marriott where Correlli is staying. He is there now on the fourteenth floor. He has reserved the Presidential suite, which takes up the left wing of the hotel. ”

“The Damascus group, where are they?” Nadia said.

“Haven’t arrived yet. We will know as soon as they do. Our agents are in place to spot them.”

“Do we know who they are?” Asked Sydney.

“They are these five men.” Jack snapped another picture on the screen of the five buyers. “They are money men and we know where each lives and how they do business. We have nothing yet to charge them with, but we can eliminate them.”

“Won’t someone else jump into their shoes?” Said Dixon as he made notes.

“No, we will shut down their operation as soon as we have them in custody. The banks they work for will be discreetly warned.”

“Are we going to kill them?” Nadia said matter-of-factly.

“No…just take them into custody. However, that operation will be done by the other team from Langley…and not APO. If all goes as planned, we won’t even see them. Our orders are to get Correlli and the sarin.” Jack continued outlining the operation.

Sydney and the team would leave late in the evening in order to arrive in Madrid by late afternoon. Sydney, Vaughn, Dixon, and Weiss left to get ready. Nadia was left behind again, which disappointed her. Jack checked in with Marshall to pick up equipment he wanted.

“How’s Mitchell,” he asked politely, stuffing his briefcase with the items Marshall supplied.

“Doin’ great. Carrie has him almost p-pot-potty trained.” Marshall seemed to be quite proud of that fact.

“That’s good….and Carrie?”

“Great! She would love to come back to work, but I want her to stay at home. I make enough without her working. She grumbles sometime, but she is having the t-t-time of her life with the little guy.”

Jack patted Marshall on the back. “Thanks…I’ll see you tomorrow.”

Two hours later Jack was on his way to Spain with Richard Brill, an old CIA operative he had known for a long time. A year ago, Brill had helped Jack free Sydney from Camp Williams, when Lindsey of the NSA ordered her taken there after learning she had reportedly killed a Russian diplomat. Jack had used a CIA badge to go through customs and security without his two bags being searched. Brill unfortunately had to go through security procedures, but had no trouble other than the wait.

Jack purchased to first class tickets to Madrid. They would arrive at least two hours before the team. “Are your men at the hotel?”

“Yeah, they arrived yesterday.” He looked at Jack. “They should be there now…sleeping.”

“Good.” Jack leaned back and closed his eyes. “I’m going to do the same.”

His mind however was busy going over the plans he had drawn up earlier…not the one that Sydney and the team thought they were going to be implementing, but the one he was going to use to trap the contractor on Sydney’s life. He and Joanna had spent an hour going over what she had to do from his office.

“There can be no mistakes. I don’t anticipate anything going wrong here.”

“Jack, sweetheart, nothing will, I promise you.” They stood looking at each other. “Please take care of yourself. Don’t take chances,” she whispered.

He kissed her. “I won’t. You do what I know you can do and everything will be fine. We have to be successful. Sydney isn’t a cat with nine lives.” Jack left and Joanna locked the door. She had to be ready by six o’clock in the morning so she went to bed.

*** :asleep:

Poor Sydney!! I hope Jack finds the guy who put a mill on Syd's head. And, cool! Joanna's joining the action!!

LOL, love Weiss's reaction.

Weiss grimaced trying to see stiff and formal Jack in bed with a woman, let alone a gorgeous blond.

Thank you for the PM :smiley:

Part 10 – Trap

Arvin Sloane arrived at the APO offices each morning by eight. He was older now and more circumspect about that…knowing that sleep and breakfast were the uppers in his life. He was at his desk when the op line of the computer buzzed. He keyed in the code and the screen popped open. It was Jack’s call sign.

“Yes Jack?”

“Arvin,” Jack’s voice sounded raspy. “I’ve got a cold, a bad one, I’m afraid, and I’m not coming in. I can run the op from here. I’ve talked to Marshall and he can patch everything in so you can follow. Okay?”

“Are you sure you are up to it?”

Jack coughed, “Yes, I’ve got all the remedies here that I need. When Sydney tells me the team is in place, I’ll patch you into the Comlink.”

“Very well, take it easy.” Arvin saw the line go dead. He turned to look out the window. How would the operation go…would they ‘both’ be successful? He hoped so, because he was running out of time.

In Madrid, Vaughn and Dixon were getting Sydney ready. She was going to be a maid with a cleaning cart. According to the operation designed by Jack, the hotel manager, having been given a handsome sum, had arranged with housekeeping not to clean the room until late afternoon. Dixon had run a line up through the heating duct to the suite and ascertained there was a mess in the room: plates with food, cups, and saucers…towels thrown over the tub. The room needed cleaning especially if Correlli expected the Damascus group.

Sydney, wearing a black wig and maid’s uniform they had borrowed, was to gain access to clean the room. Correlli had not left, but his men had. At the moment, Correlli was alone watching television. Jack rented the suite below Correlli’s so the team could operate from there with the reasonable expectation of completing the assignment. Jack, however, knew Sydney was targeted for assassination. He himself was in the suite above Correlli although no one but Brill knew this. The APO team thought Jack was running the op from the office and Sloane thought he was home.

“The team is getting in place.” Jack watched the action. Joanna in LA did the same, saying nothing.

Sydney came up in the freight elevator used by service people only. She looked around before leaving it. Jack saw Brill come up in the other elevator and he exited quickly. He stepped inside the maids’ supply cupboard. Jack hit a control and the screen went black.

“Jack, what’s wrong?” Arvin’s voice came in clear.

“Some interference from something electrical. Hold on.” He hit another key in time to see Sydney pass the small room and pause. Then she slumped to the floor. Brill stepped out pulling her inside. As he did, another woman came out and quickly pushed the service cart toward the Presidential suite.

“Jack,” said Dixon, “I’ve lost sight of Sydney!”

“She’s okay…some interference…here…it’s finished.” He uploaded the splice he wanted to show them. “There she is.”

Both Dixon and Arvin heaved a sigh of relief, each for a different reason. Joanna in LA smiled. Everything seemed to be right on the money. The new maid stopped at the door to Correlli’s suite and rang the bell. The door opened. She spoke and then entered as expected.

Now Dixon had the feed from the suite, which he was passing onto Jack. He watched her do everything they had talked about in operations. She was in the bathroom now, cleaning it. Correlli was watching television and every once in a while glanced at his watch. Jack walked quickly to the window. Outside the building, the window washers were busy on the floor above. They were very sloppy, he thought, smiling.

Now the trap…

“Arvin, this is Jack, we have a problem. The bodyguards are on their way.” Jack showed the backs of the five men who really were part of Brill’s team. The real bodyguards were tied up in their rooms. “I’m pulling Sydney out before they get there.”

“No, don’t! She can handle it.” Arvin cried.

Dixon’s eyes widened. Sydney could handle herself with one, maybe three, but five? He seriously doubted that. “She can’t…they’ll kill her.” He cried.

“Where is she?” Shouted Arvin exasperatedly.

“In the bathroom,” said Dixon.

Jack was quiet. He went to the window. The window washers were dropping fast. The bathroom was located next to the bedroom. There was a small window. Suddenly the sound of gunfire erupted…glass broke…there were screams…Correlli grabbed his briefcase and started out of the room. He ran into the five men who immediately took him. One of the men had a handkerchief, which he put over the Mafia boss’s nose. He was knocked out and now Jack’s prisoner.

“Sydney,” screamed Jack. He cut the connection immediately between himself and Arvin. Joanna in LA closed the computer, leaving Arvin Sloane wondering what had happened and was it over at last.

He opened the window watching the window washers pulling themselves up. They would pass his window in a minute. Jack pulled out his Glock 9mm and waited. The squeak of the pulleys told him they were coming level with the window. Suddenly Jack pulled the drapes back. The two assassins were startled. Jack aimed the gun at the pulley and fired. The pulley shattered and the two men were suddenly sliding down the sharply slanting board. One grabbed the board, but the other didn’t have time as he was closer to the shattered pulley. He fell screaming.

Jack looked at the other man who was crying for help. “I can help you,” Jack shouted. “Answer me one question, who hired you to kill Sydney Bristow?”

“Arvin Sloane.”

“When did you get the contract?”

“Yesterday.”

“How much?”

“A million: half before and half when the job was done.” The man showed real fear in his eyes. He was hanging on with every bit of strength he had in his arms and shoulders. The strain was obvious to Jack, who smiled as he aimed his gun at the other pulley. He knew he and the others would be gone before the investigation even started.

“Noooooo!” The man screamed, but too late, Jack pulled the trigger. The pulley snapped and the second assassin joined the first in hell.

Part 11 – Caught

Jack walked to the door of his suite when there was a knock. It was Brill with his men and Correlli. He handed the briefcase to Jack.

“What do you want with this scumbag,” said Brill.

“Put him on the bed.” Jack said grimly. “You men go back to the airport and wait for me. I’ve taken care of the bill. Brill nodded and they turned to leave.

“Wait,” said Jack, “how about Benny?”

“She’s fine. She did what you told her and is getting dressed.”

“Sydney?”

“She’s mad, but then she doesn’t know exactly what happened. She thinks she fainted. Correlli has supposedly escaped with the sarin. What are you going to do with it? It’s dangerous.”

“Don’t worry, I’m going to be flying straight to Washington and hand it over to the directors at Langley. Just wait at the airport.” Jack closed the door and went to his computer.

Minutes later, he had his answer from Langley. A military jet transport would pick him up in an hour. He went over the room quickly with a special dusting cloth, removing all of his prints. Correlli was still out. Jack opened his suitcase and removed his shaving kit. From it, he took a small thin needle. He walked over to the man on the bed, opened his right eye, and deftly inserted the needle through it into his brain. Correlli went rigid, jerked and then relaxed. He was dead. The doctors would probably say he had a stroke. Jack left the room, locking the door behind him.

The flight back to Washington was uneventful. Jack had purchased tickets for Brill and his company. They were all flying back to LA nonstop in first class. He bid Brill goodbye, handing him another briefcase.

“You disperse your men when you get to LA. I know no one will know about your part in this.” They shook hands. “Take care.”

“You too,” grinned Brill.

Once on board the military plane, Jack reconnected the computer and got Joanna on the line. “She’s safe. It was Arvin.”

“That son of a b*itch,” cried Joanna. She closed her eyes for a moment feeling the anger rising in her.

“I’ll take care of him when I get back. First, however, patch me in. I want to make his day a terrible one.”

Joanna did so and listened as Jack told Arvin that Sydney had been a target again. However, the team staved off the attack, but they were not able to get the sarin. The good news Jack relayed was they did get the Damascus group. They would not be buying sarin for anything. Correlli was also dead.

“The sarin?” Arvin was sitting in his office slightly dazed by the news.

“The police have it. Yes, they were told about the danger.” Jack looked at the container sitting next to him. It was not the most pleasant of thoughts to think of what would happen if the nerve killer container were to break open. It would only be seconds before he and the pilots were dead.
Jack coughed hard and long. “Listen, Arvin, I have got to get some sleep. Let me call you in the morning after I hit the sack.”

“Yes, sure, Jack…” However, Arvin was not thinking about that. He was thinking that somehow Sydney had once more escaped the assassination attempt. Glancing at the clock, he saw it was now three o’clock. They would be back in the morning some time.

Just then Nadia entered his office. He smiled warmly. “Hello, Nadia.”

“Father, have you heard from the team?”

He smiled, “Yes, they are all right, but they didn’t get the sarin.” He explained then what Jack had told him.

“Then all is well. The right people have it in any case.” She smiled. “Is—is Agent Weiss all right too?”

Sloane looked at her warmly, knowing this amazing girl, his daughter, was showing interest in men. With what she had gone through in her lifetime, he wasn’t sure she would ever want to date or get married. “Yes, he’s with them.”

Nadia smiled and then gave him a brief hug. “I’m going home unless there’s anything you want me to do?”

“No, go ahead. I have some reports to do myself, but nothing you can help with now.” He gave her a brief smiled. “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

*** ^_^

Oh thank heavens! I'm so glad that Syd's alright but... Sloane's the guy who has a mill on her head????? :eek:

Ha ha... Sloane's "knowing this amazing girl, his daughter, was showing interest in men" is just hilarious!! :lol:

Part 12 – Scotch and water

Sloane drove up to his house. He was beginning to think Fate was against him. Three times he tried to have Sydney killed. He had tried to set Irina up as the contractor, but Jack killed her first, thinking he was saving Sydney. Still the other three real attempts were all failures. What the devil was wrong with the men he hired? They were idiots. Tomasaki got himself killed by Sydney, of all people. He unlocked the front door walking into the hall. Putting the keys down, he picked up the mail on the small side table. He had a daytime housekeeper who left at five in the evening and she put the mail there when it arrived.

He glanced though the mail as he walked to his office. Nothing important. He tossed it into the wastebasket in his office. There were no calls waiting for him. He sighed. Turning, he moved into his living room. He needed a drink before eating. Walking to the bar, he poured himself a scotch from his decanter and added a splash of water. He took a swallow. It felt like fire hitting his stomach, but it warmed him up. Arvin sighed. Things were not going the way he wanted them too and he couldn’t understand why. Time was getting short.

Sloane turned around and walked to the fireplace. The house was cold. He turned on the gas logs and watched as the flames leaped high. He took another sip of the scotch and sighed again.

“Hello, Arvin.” The voice was rich, mellow, and familiar.

He whirled to see a blond woman sitting in one of two armchairs facing each other just in front of the fire. “How did you get in my house? Who are you?” He could not make the connection with the person sitting in the chair and the voice.

She looked tall, nicely built and thin, but not too much so. Her hair was short and styled. Her eyes were a bright blue. She held a glass in her hand, probably some of his best scotch.

“I think you’d better get out before I call the police.”

“I don’t think you will. Sit down. Let’s talk.” She motioned to the chair.

Arvin’s eyes widened as he recognized the voice…Irina’s. He moved slowly to the chair, looking at her as if he’d never seen her before this night. “Irina, you’re…you’re…” he sat slowly into the chair watching her, trying to decide if this was a dream or not. “Jack said you were dead.”

“Jack has many secrets. I am one of them.” She smiled.

“Jack !” Arvin was feeling betrayed.

“You know, Arvin, I think you’ve always underestimated him. I know I did when I first married him. I thought he was a fool because he never caught on to my spying, but I came to not only care for him but to love him…as much as you did Emily.”

She took another sip of her drink. “What happened to you? You have our daughter, yet you are bent on killing my other daughter, Sydney.”

“Rambaldi’s prophecy.” He said. “You know the one that predicts they will kill each other. I chose not to let that happen.” He yawned, feeling very tired. It had been a strenuous and quirky day. Now Irina Derevko faced him. He had to watch his step.

“Yes, Rambaldi,” she gave him a brief smile. “The last three years has taught me that my family is more important. I’ve reached an age where a fifteenth century genius does not keep you warm at night.”

“But the reward…” Arvin sipped his drink again.

“You are a f*ucking idiot.” She snapped.

“The search for immortality…the Fountain of Youth…if I find it, my beautiful Nadia will live forever.” Christ, he thought, I’m really tired. I can hardly focus on her face.

“I seriously doubt my daughter will want to live forever.”

“She thinks you are dead, you know, as does Sydney.”

“True, but I have Jack.”

“What, by the way, are you doing here?”

“Oh, I just wanted to visit an old friend and…kill him.”

“What?” Arvin couldn’t help himself. He yawned.

“I thought it would be better if I did it, than Jack. He’s on a plane heading for Washington. He’s delivering the sarin to Langley at their request. If you die while he’s there, they won’t blame him or think he had anything to do with it. In fact, I doubt anyone will.”

“You b*itch,” Arvin tried to get up, but he couldn’t. His legs would not respond to his brain’s command.

“See…no one knows I’m alive…no one.” She stood. “You are going to slip away and be dead in a few minutes.” She took three steps until she was in front of him. “I slipped in some digitalis into your scotch.” She leaned down to look him in the eyes that now were dimming. “It is enough to kill you and it will look like you died of a heart attack.” She touched his face. “No one will suspect anything different. No one…” She smiled watching him struggle to move.

“You b*itch,” he said again. “Nadia will find out and…”

“And what…kill her mother? The mother she wants so desperately to know?” She stood, watching him. She knew he was helpless. She smiled.

“Damn you to hell,” he rasped as she moved gracefully to the wet bar.

Joanna picked up the bottle of scotch and dumped the contents into the sink, rinsing the decanter thoroughly. She bent down and found another bottle in the cupboard, opened it and poured most of the contents into the decanter. Then taking a cloth, wiped her fingerprints from it. She washed and dried her own glass, putting it away in the small cupboard above the sink. She turned and watched him.

She knew he couldn’t move. His heart was slowing, barely able to pump his blood. It was only a matter of a minute or so.

“You know, Arvin,” she said. “I was very ill in Moscow, when you set me up to take the fall for Sydney’s death. Jack did come to kill me, but found me instead in a hospital dying.” She saw him shudder as though he could not believe it.

“W-what?”

“Yes. So, my Jack, my dear, sweet Jack, smuggled me in a coffin to the States where surgery was done on me about two and a half months ago. It seems only I had a tumor and I’m healed.” She could see the misery in his eyes.

“You’re almost dead, Arvin. I know Nadia will miss you for a while. One day, however, she will learn all about you…and me…and our fascination with Rambaldi. It is my dream,” she moved closer, leaning down once more, and stared into his dimming eyesight, “that both Nadia and Sydney will leave CIA, get married, and have children. Too bad you will not be alive to see your grandchildren, Arvin.”

His eyes were now closed. She moved forward and put two fingers lightly on his carotid artery. Arvin Sloane was dead, at last. She did not mourn him, nor would she ever. He had caused her to lose her family with his Rambaldi prophecies. Caught up with his fascination had driven her to do acts she would regret, but now hopefully forget over time with Jack’s help. She picked up his glass, dumped the contents into the sink, turned on the faucet, letting the water wash down the contents into the pipes and sewer. She wiped the glass; then she filled it about an inch with the new scotch. She wanted him found in the morning looking as though he had come home, had a drink, and died from a heart attack. She doubted anyone would think otherwise…even Jack.

It would be her secret. She would die with it.

It was turning out to be a great summer.

*** :angelic:

WOW! This is great! The detail in the cover up and the consistency of irina's character and thought patterns are amazing. You go Lenafan!

Back