Tabula Rasa

Well, I haven't posted for some time and HJ has been pretty quiet of late so I had to occupy my time elsewhere.

The game is still under NDA but I am allowed to say I am part of the beta. Been testing for about a month or so.

I find it incredibly fun and I'm having a very hard time playing games that auto-target and auto attack (TR has auto-targetting but it rewards you if you play it like a FPS). The old method of combat in MMOs are well, just too boring now. Even CoH which had some great combat isn't as exciting anymore.

Maybe TR is one of the first steps of MMOs to tweak combat a bit? I know there are other games coming out that have moved beyond the EQ mode of combat.

At any rate, I am enjoying the beta and was wondering if there were others who were interested in the game.

I looked into it a long time ago, but it now looks like they've changed it quite a bit from its original concept. There doesn't seem to be much opportunity to be a non-combat-based character, so it's not really something I've looked into extensively.

I've been watching it for awhile. Lord British has been giving tid bits each month in PC Gamer. It looks like it will be a fun game.

I haven't paid much attention to it, but given the soonish release date it peaked my interest. The videos here:

http://www.rgtr.com/news/latest_news/tabula_rasa_video_walkthrough.html

Really helped hook me. Looks fun, though I'd seriously need to brush up my shooter skills, hehe. I've been wanting a good sci-fi MMO since EVE.

How in the WORLD I missed that Richard Garriott is Lord British I do not know >.>

I'm curious to see how the community goes, any chance of RP?

Hmmm, wow, combat better than CoH? Definitely watching the walk through.

Watched most of it, and it does seem cool, but I think I'll wait for Huxley.

The NDA is over. Reviews from testers are starting to pop up now, most aren't that enthused by the game, it seems.

Not true. There will always be those who have a certain image of what the game is supposed to be and if it doesn't meet their criteria, they will condemn it.

Now, that being said, there is some truth to the reviews. The biggest complaint players have are, it's a very shallow game. The game setting is a war zone so it is difficult to implement auction houses and personal houses, simply because it doesn't fit the setting. But there have been other MMOs that have been successful that were equally "shallow" like TR.

I have to say that TR is no more shallow than say, CoH when it first launched.

As for the combat, especially for those who do not like FPS type games, do not fret. There is an auto targetting method like classic MMOs, BUT you get the best benefits and bonuses if you are able to auto-target AND get your crosshairs on the mob (and crouching behind protective cover). All the attacks are still calculated like other MMOs (die rolling).

I just enjoy the frantic pace of combat in the game. It does give you the feeling you are in the frontlines. And the mission descriptions are worth reading.

Like every MMO out there, TR has its good points and bad points. Personally, I think its good points outweigh the bad ones.

If you are still on the fence or are curious, there's a simple fairly painless method to see if the game is for you. Buy a pre-order for $5. You get into beta then.

Does the pre-order get you in now? Or just a few days before release?

Cause if it's now people better move out the way in Gamestop tomorrow or I'll step on them.

I think even if I play it and simply RP with boyfriend it would still be fun, just because of the unique setting.

Does the pre-order get you in now? Or just a few days before release?

Cause if it's now people better move out the way in Gamestop tomorrow or I'll step on them.

I think even if I play it and simply RP with boyfriend it would still be fun, just because of the unique setting.

Right away.

And I've also heard that Gamespot is giving away beta keys.

As for the pre-order, if you are not getting the digital download from NCSoft, be sure the box you get has the beta key inside. Other than that, you just make a NCSoft account (if you don't have one already), punch in the key and download the client. I do believe there are some emails sent in error that says you are on a list to join beta but I am hearing that's just an error. Once the beta key is entered, you're good to go.

I too have been testing TR. The action is fast and intense, no waiting for spawns. In fact, it's tough to just catch your breath when you're not in one of the camps.

I've enjoyed it so far, though crafting is much too expensive. I don't think it's a game I could play every night, because it can get exhausting mentally. I can play WoW all day long, but a three hour stint in TR and I'm ready to do yard work.

Anyone else testing it out, look up the Lacheese family.

I too have been testing TR. The action is fast and intense, no waiting for spawns. In fact, it's tough to just catch your breath when you're not in one of the camps.

I've enjoyed it so far, though crafting is much too expensive. I don't think it's a game I could play every night, because it can get exhausting mentally. I can play WoW all day long, but a three hour stint in TR and I'm ready to do yard work.

Anyone else testing it out, look up the Lacheese family.

It is pretty intense and that definitely fits the setting. Yup, it's true. You certainly can't go around hunting down mobs all night long so my visits to bases for repairs/ammo/missions often take longer than expected because well... I need to break from fighting on the front lines.

Crafting is a mess right now and the devs are working on revamping it. I don't mess with it too much. I just like the armor paint. Quick and easy to change the colors on your outfit, although I do wish we could do more.

My only concern for TR is that it really still needs more work and it's scheduled to come out on Oct 19. Hope they don't pull a Vanguard...

It's heading for the same Iceberg Vanguard hit. Tho it might not be as bad because the hype surrounding the game isnt as intense. I beta'ed it...heck honestly i didnt beta it, I tried it. That game would be only fun for me for a few hours a month if that.

In the beta now, haven't gotten to play as yet because the servers are down but I am pleased and suprised at the RP discussions I've seen. Already have two clans I'm concidering.

Family name will likely be Hatake, unless by some quirk someone else has taken that then we'll go with Takahashi or maybe Nakamura... damnit! I can never pick names -.-

Edit: Darn name takers! None of them worked, went with Motoko Takeba :smiley:

I am not NOT a shooter fan. I generally, hate shooters. When it comes to FPS I've played about twenty minutes of Metroid Prime, that's the extent. Oh, and old school DOOM on my gameboy. I couldn't even get into Dirge of Cerberus and I'm a rabid Final Fantasy fan. I thought my response times were too short, I don't like getting jumped, can't aim very well etc. I didn't think I'd like Tabula Rasa, I was pretty sure I'd suck at it.

I am *points to sig* hooked. Boo yah.

I played non stop for about 8 hours last night. I've never had as much pure -fun- in a game before. A lot of times, ok most of the time, for me combat is an after thought in a game. I'm there for the people, for the crafting, the world, the interactions and the roleplay. Going out and fighting is mostly something I do to reach the next level and get new cute looking gear, to make money or to RP through. It's not something I just want to do, and in fact after a few months is something I dred. Pretty much never do I think 'I feel like beating something up. Combat is fun, lets go grind off levels".

Yeah, not here. From the get go I was having a blast. In jogging across the landscape doing quests I hope to hear the sound of a Bane drop ship so I can spin around, duck behind a tree and have fun. I had fun sneaking past bane patrols by sticking to the cliffs, snipping when I got the chance. I spent an hour exploring looking for logos shrines tucked away in the rocks and caves. I gained levels where I hadn't even looked at my exp bar because I was having too much fun to pay attention.

Twenty minutes was spent helping defend a base I was in from a bane attack, defending the forcefield then repelling them when they broke through until we could get the fields back up. Dashing to buy more ammo before the next wave hit. It was a BLAST and a half.

The world feels really really alive, NPCs everywhere fighting and moving in groups just like players. At one point, I came upon two native shaman types fighting a few bane off the road. I dived in to helped them, after the fight the two (who were NPCs) dashed back to me and followed me for about a half hour wherever I went and helped me fight, as if in thanks.

Both Lord (now General) British and Darkstarr were online multiple times last night, the General even ran a GM event though I wasn't near enough to take part.

The UI is beautiful, it fits right in with the feel of the game. Works very well, reminds me of playing Oblivion actually. The hybrid auto-aiming sticky targeting thing is GREAT. You don't need to be precise in your aiming but it's far from lock on auto attack either. Weapons are diverse and choosing a weapon based on range and the weaknesses of your enemy adds a lot of tactical fun to it. The game runs fine at Ultra High on my average system, I could run it at maximum with just a few slight hitches. It's not -as- pretty as it could be but the animations are spot on, movement is smooth, I think it would benefit from more lighting, both spectral and shadows. I have seen screens where it looks much better so it could be my slightly out of date graphics card (7600gt) keeping the candy from my eyes.

I do have some concerns, beside combat and questing there isn't much to do at the moment. Crafting is suppose to get a rework thankfully, they need to add a market as there isn't one yet. I'm hopeful for roleplay, have my eye on three RP clans already. People seem generally nice, I've met far more regular MMORPG players than the FPS shooter crowd. Have seen but a few stupid names, and those were that bad. But the game will need some spit and polish, and some features to pull in the general RPing MMO crowd. There needs to be some civilian areas, we haven't seen any peaceful areas yet (as someone pointed out, all that armor, medical supplies and amunition has to be manufactured somewhere). It feels rather one sided at the moment, I'm hopeful that future content will flesh it out.

And I wouldn't worry about it being another Vanguard. One month to release and I call tell you that it has far, far less bugs than Vanguard did even two months after their release. It might be releasing a bit early, but that seems par for the course. If anything it will suffer from a lack of diverse content and community tools, it's two weak points. I don't think they're unfixable, and being that any game changes drastically in it's first few months I'm willing to give a chance.

I'll have fun blowing up bane regardless.

Oh! And ... it's not Hello Kitty Island Adventure buuuuuuut... *crooks finger in Vahsyl's general direction*

It's interesting that you comment on both the pseudo FPS controls and on similarities to Oblivion, because the more I look at Tabula Rasa, the more I hope it paves the way for Bethesda's Fallout 3, which everyone is pissing about because they think it is going to be twitchplay FPS and ruin the franchise.

Anywho, aside from that, I'd really like to try this game, but I'm slightly hesitant. I kinda figure if I just wait a little longer, other better games I've been waiting for will finally come out and I won't have to divide my attention between multiple games.

On the other hand, this does look incredibly cool, and I am desperate for a good game to play. The thing I'm most likely to pick up other than this is Assassin's Creed on Nov. 9th, so I'm kind of debating getting this anyway and picking up other games as they come, just to have all the possible experiences.

Any advice?

~Dune Walker~

Yeah, not here. From the get go I was having a blast. In jogging across the landscape doing quests I hope to hear the sound of a Bane drop ship so I can spin around, duck behind a tree and have fun. I had fun sneaking past bane patrols by sticking to the cliffs, snipping when I got the chance. I spent an hour exploring looking for logos shrines tucked away in the rocks and caves. I gained levels where I hadn't even looked at my exp bar because I was having too much fun to pay attention.

Not sure how far you've managed to get into the game but if you like sneaking around, Rangers are way cool. Stealth armor lets you get fairly close as long as the Bane aren't looking straight at you. You even get a mission to enter a base in secret and assassinate a boss...very cool. Course, he's really tough so you might want to bring some additional rangers along. But that was after the netgun nerf. Haven't tried it recently.

The secret shrines are a nice touch. It's nice to come across those at random.

Oh, my name in-game is Creed. Might go with something else when it goes live but for now it will suffice.

It's interesting that you comment on both the pseudo FPS controls and on similarities to Oblivion, because the more I look at Tabula Rasa, the more I hope it paves the way for Bethesda's Fallout 3, which everyone is pissing about because they think it is going to be twitchplay FPS and ruin the franchise.

Anywho, aside from that, I'd really like to try this game, but I'm slightly hesitant. I kinda figure if I just wait a little longer, other better games I've been waiting for will finally come out and I won't have to divide my attention between multiple games.

On the other hand, this does look incredibly cool, and I am desperate for a good game to play. The thing I'm most likely to pick up other than this is Assassin's Creed on Nov. 9th, so I'm kind of debating getting this anyway and picking up other games as they come, just to have all the possible experiences.

Any advice?

~Dune Walker~

My advice is this. If you are truly curious about Tabula Rasa, buy the pre-order. It'll cost you $5. You get into beta immediately and you'll be able to test it for about a month. You don't like the game, you lose $5. You like it, then you have a head start when it goes live.

Back