Sci-Fi The Ark

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
Title: The Ark

Genre: Sci-Fi & Fantasy

First aired: 2023-02-01

Creator: Dean Devlin

Cast: Christie Burke, Reece Ritchie, Richard Fleeshman, Stacey Read, Ryan Adams, Pavle Jerinić, Shalini Peiris, Christina Wolfe, Tiana Upcheva

Overview: 100 years in the future, planetary colonization missions have begun as a necessity to help secure the survival of the human race. The first of these missions on a spacecraft known as Ark One encounters a catastrophic event causing massive destruction and loss of life. With more than a year left to go before reaching their target planet, a lack of life-sustaining supplies and loss of leadership, the remaining crew must become the best versions of themselves to stay on course and survive.
The Ark

From Dean Devlin, this one seems to have been created by coming up with a checklist of every sci-fi character trope and seeing how many on the list can be checked off. Seriously, when watching this one come up with a mental Bingo card, you'll have more fun that way.

If you find yourself marathon watching this one it does eventually start to get a little interesting around episode 5 or 6. The annoying Urkel voice impression that Nevin's is doing also calms down a bit at the same point. It'd be way better if the actress was allowed to use a normal speaking voice.

I know I'm overly critical of some some shows & movies but, in this case, it's not really criticism to say that with each episode it's way to easy to spot what is coming up next. Person who is going to be be betrayed? Spotted. Person who will betray? Spotted. Person with some super secret origin story? Spotted. Surprise 'twist' with a character? Spotted. Character hiding a secret? Spotted. Upcoming MacGuffin? Spotted.

I've seen worse shows, sure, but for a show that is coming from somebody like Dean Devlin and being hyped by NBC airing on SyFy, instead of a streaming-only show on something like Peacock, it's disappointing. This is one of those kind of shows where you if need something to be playing on the TV as white-noise as you're working on something else then it's perfect. It's not unwatchable, it's just not very good.

I watched this with my gf (binged)
She loved it, I was like...yeaaa...It's okay I guess.
Seemed to me like it was too similar to Star Trek shows.
Ship has problems every episode and they somehow fix it.
Or, drama, drama, drama...