The Greatest Gift

SkyGirl5

Cadet
:hi: another new one :P

Title: The Greatest Gift
Genre: S/V FLUFF! AU
Summary: Sydney is a busy single mom; Michael is a pediatrician. Will a chance meeting in the park lead to more?

Chapter 1

“Mommy I don’t want you to go to work today.” Four year old David whined. “I want you to play with me.”

“I know sweetie.” Sydney Bristow sighed. “Mommy has to work but it’s only half a day ok? I’ll pick you up from Grandma’s at one and then we can go to the park ok?”

“Okay.” He sighed sadly.

“Good.” Sydney said as she pulled her car up into her parent’s driveway and got out so that she could unbuckle her son from his car seat. She took a hold of his hand and led him up the front walk to where her mother was waiting.

“Hi Gramma.” David grinned.

“Hello sweetheart.” She smiled.

“I’ll be back at one fifteenish ok Mom? Thanks.” Sydney smiled after her mother had nodded. She kissed her son’s head and then got back into her car. He had a sad expression on his face as he watched her drive away and that broke her heart. Usually, David was perfectly fine with spending the day with his grandparents while Sydney was at work, after all he had done it for the past four years, but lately he had begun to protest it. He had become clingier and less willing to spend time away from her.

When she thought about it, Sydney could pinpoint the exact time of David’s change in behavior. It was exactly around the time of his accident, when the dog had attacked him. Sydney cursed herself for letting it happen every day of her life. She just looked away for one second and a dog had pounced on her son, biting his face and tearing away the skin above his eyebrow.

He had to have three reconstructive surgeries to fix it. The third and final surgery had just taken place the previous week so his face was still bandaged but the doctors promised that he was healing remarkably well and would have minimal scarring. The thought of her son’s perfect face being scarred for life made Sydney sick to her stomach, especially since she could have prevented it.

Being a single mother was difficult, yes, but very rewarding. Every time Sydney would grow weak and wonder why she had been crazy enough to think she could do it, one smile from David made everything worth while and reminded her exactly why she had chosen to do it in the first place. Not a day went by when she regretted her decision. Not one.

Pulling into work, she practically ran to her desk and flopped down at her computer for the sooner she began the sooner she was done and the sooner she could spend the rest of the afternoon and weekend with her son.

~*~

At one thirty Sydney grunted as she left her office slightly more stressed and agitated than when she had arrived. She raced home quickly and changed her clothes, knowing that David wouldn’t be patient enough to wait for her while she was changing and then arrived at her mother’s house almost an hour after she had promised to be there.

“I’m so sorry.” Sydney apologized immediately after entering her mother’s house. “My boss caught me just as I was leaving to assign another huge project... hi baby.” She sighed as she kissed the top of her son’s head.

“No problem, we were just reading.” Irina smiled.

“Thanks Mom, you’re the best.” Sydney sighed.

Irina laughed. “No, it’s my pleasure really. He’s keeping me young.”

“Funny since I’m growing older by the second.” Sydney rolled her eyes. “You ready to go to the park buddy?”

“YES!!!” He cheered loudly as he began to gather his things from the floor.

“Alright. See you later Mom.” Sydney sighed as she led her son out the door.

“Bye.” Irina called after them.

“Mommy can we play catch at the park today?” David asked sweetly as they were driving.

“Sure honey I brought your glove and your ball.”

“YAY! Thanks Mommy!” He grinned.

~*~

“Hey man, how was work?” Eric asked his friend, though from the look on his face he already knew the answer.

“Crappy.” Michael Vaughn grunted at his best friend, fellow pediatrician and roommate, Eric Weiss.

“Ah sorry man, do you want to talk about it?” Eric asked.

“Nope, I’m just going to go for a run in the park.” Michael said as he disappeared into his room to change.

Twenty minutes later he was jogging around the paved path at the local park listening to his ipod much louder than it should have been but truthfully, he needed to drown out his crappy day. He had gotten the lab work back on an eight year old girl and discovered that she had leukemia, which he had to break to her parents. It didn’t go well.

Up ahead he noticed a small boy racing out after a ball that was rolling away but he tripped, fell and started screaming immediately. His mother rushed out and picked him up, comforting the shaken child. Michael decided to investigate.

He knelt down next to them and took his earphones out of his ears. “I saw him fall, is he alright?”

“Yes, I think so.” The woman said as she tried to examine her son whose knees were now bleeding. “It’s ok David.” She said rather frantically.

“I’m a pediatrician. Want me to take a look?” He offered. The woman nodded and Michael took a hold of her son. “Hey buddy what’s your name?”

“David.” He sniffed as he rubbed his eyes with a dirty fist.

“Okay David my name is Michael. Can you lift up your leg for me and bend your knee.” Michael said. David did as he asked, though he whimpered slightly. “Great now the other leg.” Michael instructed. “Great. He seems fine to me just make sure his cuts are disinfected.” Michael told David’s mother.

“Thank you so much. I’m Sydney by the way.” She said as she extended her hand.

“Nice to meet you Sydney and you’re welcome. You guys have a nice day now.” Michael smiled as he got up and began to jog away.

“Thanks again!” Sydney called after him.

Michael looked back and smiled briefly at them before continuing on his run. It was only then that he noticed the bandage over the boy’s right eye and forehead and was curious as to what happened.

just heads up here the gratest gift bares no relation to the phrase "the greatist THING you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return" just to let you know

but this is soooooooooooo good :D :D

and i actually rember the whole plot from the title and the title itself so taht's saying something :D

Yes another story.......great chapter!!!!!!!! David is so sweet. Can´t wait for more. I like Vaughn being doctor.....hope they meet soon.

Yay! Another fic to read!!

Aww... David is so cute. Sorry to hear about the accident though.

Can you pm me when you update? Thanks!

Back