The "new" E3 2007 - No Simutronics?

E3 Kentia Hall Exhibitors Get Dear John Letter From ESA

Ah.. Kentia Hall. Often ridiculed as the arse-end of E3, like the little mutant town on Mars in Schwarzenegger's "Total Recall." It was full of smaller players not successful enough to fit in with the rest of E3s big names, upstairs. Simutronics has, thus far, been one of those companies, always to be found tucked away in the bowels of this dreaded and often overlooked hall of misfits.

Is this the end of E3 for Simutronics? Did Simu receive a similar letter? When will the next public (semi-public) appearance of HJ, after the Austin Game Conference (AGC) in Austin on September 6th-8th, take place?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

GameDaily Article

What the ESA Told The Little Guys About E3's Demise

The biggest losers in the fall of E3 will likely be the lesser known companies, those with niche products often found in Kentia Hall. How will they now generate buzz? A letter sent by the ESA to a Kentia Hall exhibitor reveals what they were told. More within...

As you no doubt know, the Entertainment Software Association (ESA) announced at the end of July a major scaling back for the E3Expo. In the press release, the ESA said that the event is "evolving." However, in a letter the ESA sent to a Kentia Hall exhibitor (obtained by GamePolitics) the show is actually referred to as "cancelled."

This reproduced letter shows how the ESA broke the news to the little guys:

"Dear Valued E3Expo Exhibitor,

As you may have read in the enclosed Press Release, the 2007 E3Expo has been officially cancelled. As the industry has evolved and matured over the past 12 years, the needs of the exhibitors and key attendees have also changed. To address this change, the Entertainment Software Association (ESA) has announced a new event tentatively scheduled for July 2007.

Details of the event have not been finalized at this time, however our vision and goal is to create a more intimate climate for personalized meetings and product demonstrations. The ESA will announce additional details and information in the ensuing weeks and months.

We would like to take this opportunity to extend our sincere and profound gratitude for your past support of this event. It has been exciting and rewarding to see the growth and significance of this industry mirrored on the exhibit floor of the E3Expo through the years. We look forward to many more years of industry growth, vitality and opportunity.

Yours sincerely,
Mary Dolaher
Vice President"

Going forward, the new, much smaller ESA-run event will likely be of much less help to the types of exhibitors that occupied Kentia Hall. As Joseph Olin, president of the Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences, told GameSpot, "... the smaller, specialty companies who introduce their products at E3 in Kentia Hall or surrounding properties will find it more difficult to reach 'buyers' or to create buzz about their products or services."

And while the big fish like Electronic Arts and Sony won't likely be hurt much (if at all) by E3's demise, what makes it worse for the little guys is that it's rumored that their pulling out of the event is what led to its downfall. We heard that the ESA was supposed to have reduced attendance by about 20,000 and then several big players bailed. ESA board members, however, refute that notion and insist that the plan to "evolve" the event was planned over the last few years.

navarre said:
... however our vision and goal is to create a more intimate climate for personalized meetings and product demonstrations.

That obviously sounds scaled back. Who knows what the cost must have been to showcase one's product in a prime area at these shows. Perhaps some of the smaller companies found it not worth it financially to be relegated into a back hall or upstairs room with the fees they may have paid and decided enough was enough.

Did companies get a return on the dollars spent at these showcases? Who knows. Could they create a buzz about their upcoming product with larger companies obviously able to gobble up prime areas of the event? Probably not. Perhaps it became a financial loss to attend for smaller companies, money that could be used in other ways as opposed to this and as a result of weighing their options/cost/return/exposure/booth visitations etc smaller companies enmasse found that there was no value in attending. Especially now with digital downloads and accompanying 7-14 day free trials available it may prove a better expense by far to advertise on fansites and gaming forums. I'd bet we'll see a lot of that later this year and on into '07.

Well... Will there be another huge game thingy like that made? I mean, it was the biggest one, right? I'm sad... :( Too bad I couldn't really contribute to this thread.

I think a lot of this boils down to the cost it takes for these company's to continue with the show also. I mean the bigger companies like EA, Microsoft and such ya they can throw money out and not worry about it. But smaller companies including Simu spend a lot of time getting ready for the event and then spend a lot of money and its tuff to guage if they are getting that return on their investment.

But it is sad that E3 is going away in the fashion we've learned to like and we'll see what ends up happening. Maybe we'll end up getting better games outta it since the companys will re-invest that money into the developement of the game....ya nvm lol.

Have we actually heard anything from Simu saying that they won't be at E3 or showcasing their stuff at any other events besides Austin?

Anyway, maybe they'll start the beta soon...

milamber said:
Have we actually heard anything from Simu saying that they won't be at E3 or showcasing their stuff at any other events besides Austin?

Anyway, maybe they'll start the beta soon...

No..no..nono.. Not the B word...:eek:

*covers Daax's eyes from reading thread*

AAARGH!!

Too late... TOWEL!!!!

First we need to ask ourselves, is their even going to be an E3 2007? After that, will it be in Simutronics favor to go to it? If yes, than will they be able to afford it, or be given a chance to purchase a booth?

So many questions, and we'll all find out in May.

I've heard rumblings that GenCon will be attempting to take a stab at replacing E3. After all, they have video game developers showing things there already, so it's not a big step....

Simutronics could do well at GenCon. It's rife with roleplayers already.

I really never caught the gist of GenCon. Could you explain exactly what it is? Isn't it more of a fan based expo then it is for developers, business's to show off their new products?

I can't remember where I saw it, but it was said somewhere that the Consumer electronics Show (CES), which was the forerunner of the E3, is looking to regain it's position by re-incorporating the game industry into it's fold.

Unfortuantely, I don't think the CES exactly understands how wild those "Wii Partys" can get. Mario always was an angry drunk o.O

CES vs. E3? I'm not sure how well that would go. Just hearing E3 it makes most gamers get a big smile on my face (as I have one on me right now staring at that kitty). Hopefully E3 lives to what it has always been, if not, I'll gladly accept CES.

Hero's Hall, and the rest of GoLevel.com would be attending E3 next year if it were to exist, so hopefully it stays!

E3 will still be around, but apparently not the extent it once was *cry*
So far it sounds like a much smaller affair utilizing hotel conference rooms, a massive step down from what they have been known for. But I'm sure there will be punch and cookies.

Hmm, the death of the BIG E3...does this mean no more booth babes?

And yes, kitties always make people smile :D
See..mittens is waving to you...wave back if you value you your life...or at least your socks.

wave.gif

Back