Drama The Passion of the Christ (2004)

It bothers me to hear people saying they are planning to take their children to see this violent picture without even seeing it first--For their children's consumption they would shun nudity, but embrace a movie depicting prolonged torture? I'm sorry, but I have a hard time understanding this. Mr Gibson himself asked that parents not bring children under the age of 13. Sigh . . .

Personally, I plan to view the movie to make up my mind for myself what I think of it. However, I'm going to wait a couple of weeks for the theaters clear a little.
;)

The reviews I've read say that the movie glorifies suffering over the actual inspiration and teaching of Jesus' life.

The movie is about the last 12 hours of Jesus' life ... in those last hours of his life, he was tortured ... and crucified ... so, how do you want a movie about his last 12 hours, be about his life ...

I do get your point ... they glorify the suffering here, as the torture on film looks so real that people not only will cry, but people will feel the need to really look into the real story of the Bible ... and what it means to humanity ...

Azalea said:
vartan-lova said:
very good movie! and its very accurate too.
Accurate maybe according to the Bible, but not according to actual history as researched by historians and theologians. I know the entire history department at my university is boycotting the movie...

The reviews I've read say that the movie glorifies suffering over the actual inspiration and teaching of Jesus' life. The branch of Catholicism that Mel Gibson belongs to is extremely conservative, and they tend to focus more on the suffering aspect than on the Christian messages of love and charity. Someone I know who saw the movie said that it's going to leave people feeling bitter and upset, not uplifted. What worries me is that so many people are going to take their children to see this movie. To me, it seems more like propaganda than art.
i agree with whoever said its about the last 12 hours of his life so how can it be about anything more than that. yes it does focus on his death but thats exactly what its supposed to do. and i dont think ppl should leave the movie feeling uplifted. you dont watch someone being tortured and smile about it- unless you're mental. the idea of the movie is to make ppl think. its also a great movie all in all.

as for those ppl who arent going to see it bc they rnt religious, i would reconsider. i know plenty of "unreligious" people that saw it and thought it was great. just give it a chance.

God loves you!
*Lauren*

one more thing to add. i saw the movie again today and while i was watchin it i was thinking of this thread. one thing about the movie is they did do alot of flashbacks to Jesus' life- some of his teachings, etc. so considering that the movie is about the last 12 hours of His life, they did a good job adding other little things in there too and showing more of the story.

:love:*Lauren*

saw it this afternoon. i don't see the hype behind it all. to a sense i guess it's moving. i personally don't see anti semitism. so the jewish high priest wanted him dead...it's in the gospels...what's new.

we had a discussion about this movie in global studies class on friday (we digress from current events on the middle east) one student happened to have watch that by friday...he claims that "I walked out feeling more religious" I guess that could be so.

I mean...I guess it's benefical..cause now I actually understand the Dream of the Rood more (some olde english poem we read in linguistics class about the cruxification of christ)...I wrote a little review of it on my xanga...if anyone's interested it's in my profile. I only like the movie...cause the ending was bittersweet...justice in way was more unless served. and i'm somewhat more culturally enriched...since i did gain some insights from my friends while dicussing the movie with them.

the movie is terribly graphic though...more then half of it is him getting beatened and crucified. i was just thrilled about the latin. (i'm such an inner nead! I get to take latin in addition to spanish next year! yay!) i did pick up quite a few of the latin phrases since they are similar to spanish, or it happened to be vocab from the greek unit i did in e1.

but what i really see in the movie...a giant cash haul in for mel...

I saw the movie this afternoon too...

I don't understand what the controversy was all about...I mean I think its crazy that people don't focus on nudity and sex, but yet they focus on a movie like this.

The movie is in Latin and Hebrew with English subtitles... I caught most of the Latin phrase (studied Latin in H.S. and I also speak spanish), and even some of the Hebrew (some words are similar to Russian, believe it or not...studying Russian now)...yeah I'm a language nerd...lol

The movie is graphic...but its a realistic graphic in which you really I left gasp for breath...you share Jesus' pain as you watch it.

Even if you are religious...I recommend you see it...its a really good movie and I did leave feeling uplifted in a way...despite the bittersweet ending.

I saw this movie over the weekend. Some people felt it was anti-Semitic, but I didn't see it that way. It certainly didn't arouse me to start hating Jews. The high priest and the other Jewish officials just impressed me as shrewd politicians who wanted to get rid of someone whom they saw as a threat. The film was a stunning take on the timeless passion story. It's clear that it was conceived by a lifelong Catholic, so if you are not, bone up on your Catholic theology a little before you see it, or some of the symbolism will be lost on you. I'm a lifelong Protestant myself, but I caught most of it because I once considered converting. It is hard to watch because of all the brutality, but it is definitely a must-see! (y)

ALiAs_AgEnT_423 said:

I don't understand what the controversy was all about...I mean I think its crazy that people don't focus on nudity and sex, but yet they focus on a movie like this.

The movie is in Latin and Hebrew with English subtitles... I caught most of the Latin phrase (studied Latin in H.S. and I also speak spanish), and even some of the Hebrew (some words are similar to Russian, believe it or not...studying Russian now)...yeah I'm a language nerd...lol

The movie is graphic...but its a realistic graphic in which you really I left gasp for breath...you share Jesus' pain as you watch it.

Even if you are religious...I recommend you see it...its a really good movie and I did leave feeling uplifted in a way...despite the bittersweet ending.
<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>First of all its not in hebrew its in aramaic! BIG DIFFERENCE THERE!!

AND I AM OUTRAGED WITH THIS FILM! I REFUSE TO SEE IT AT THIS POINT! IT IS DEGRADING TO MY RELGION! I HAVE READ A FEW RABBIS THAT I KNOW THOUGHT ON THIS MOVIE AND THEY SAY IT IS ANTI-SEMETIC AND THAT IT MAKES IT LOOK THAT THE JEWS KILLED HIM! WHICH THEY DIDNT! THE ROMAN KILLED HIM-NOT THE JEWS! READ THE BIBLE- IT NEVER SAYS THAT THE JEWS KILLED JESUS! IT SAYS PILOT DID AND HE WAS ROMAN IN THAT GOVERMENT! NOT JEWISH! I DONT SEE HOW YOU ALL CAN BE BLIND AND NOT SEE THE ANTI-SEMITISM IN THIS HORRIBLE MOVIE!</span>

theres no need to shout, mv.

And perhaps it would be better to see the movie before you pass judgement on it?

I have to say I haven't seen it, and I dont know if I will get to see it. I live in a very small town right now and its hard to get to the theater.
But I am interested in the message it conveys, especially from hearing about the reactions from everyone.
A friend saw it and said that everyone just walked out of the theater in silence when it was over. No one knew what to say.

ALiAs_AgEnT_423 said:

Just to make an additional note...I made the mistake of saying it was in Latin and Hebrew...but it was supposed to be Aramaic...however I was right...according to an MSN article its mentions the movie was in "Latin, Hebrew and Aramaic"

MSN article

Again, I still support the movie. And I did not have any prejudice against Jews before, during, or after the movie. I kept an open mind thoughout the whole movie. I agree with Kewii when she said to watch it before you pass judgement.

i stil havent seen it! ITS GETTING REALLY ANNOYING!!!

And you would think that parents would want their older teens to see it because its about Christ, but nooooooooooooo; and they don't care if you see something else thats worse though!

to mvisahottie: First, please don't shout. Second, here is what the Bible says (revised standard edition)

Matthew 27 (Pilate gives the crowd the choice between saving Jesus and the murderer Barabbas, but the crowd chooses Barabbas) So when Pilate saw that he was gaining nothin, but rather that a riot was beginning, he took water and washed his hands before the crowd, saying, "I am innocent of this man's blood; see to it yourselves." And the people said, "His blood be on us and our children!" Then he released for them Barabbas, and having scourged Jesus, delivered him to be crucified.

Mark 15 Now at the feast he [Pilate] used to release for them on prisoner whom they asked. And among the rebels in prison, who had committed murder in the insurrection, there was a man called Barabbas. And the crowd came up and began to ask Pilate to do as he was wont to do for them. And he answered them, "Do you want me to release the King of the Jews?" For he perceived that it was out of envy that the chief priests had delivered him up. But the chief priests stirred up the crowd to have him release for them Barabbas instead. And Pilate agains said to them, "Then what shall I do with the man whom you call the King of the Jews?" And they cried out again, "Crucify him."and Pilate said to them, "Why, what evil has he done?" But they shouted all the more, "Crucify him." So Pilate, wishing to satisfy the crowd, released for them Barabbas; and having scourged Jesus, he delivered him to be crucified.

Luke 23 Pilate then called together the chief priests and the rulers and the people, and said to them, "You brought me this man as one who was perverting the people, and after examining him before you, behold, I did not find this man guilty of any of your charges against him; neither did Herod, for he sent him back to us. Behold, nothing deserving death has been done by him; I will therefore chastise him and release him."

But they all cried out together "Away with this man, and release to us Barabbas"--a man who had been thrown into prison for an insurrection started in the city, and for murder. Pilate addressed them once more, desiring to release Jesus; but they shouted out, "Crucify, crucify him!" A third time he said to them, "Why, what evil has he done? I have found in him no crime deserving death; I will therefore chastise him and release him." But they were urgent, demanding with loud cries that he should be crucified. and their voices prevailed. So Pilate gave sentence that their demand should be granted.

John 17 Pilate went out again, and said to them, "Behold, I am bringing him out to you, that you may know that I find no crime in him." So Jesus came out, wearing the crown of thorns and the purple robe. Pilate said to them, "Here is the man!" When the chief priests and the officers saw him, they cried out, "Crucify him, crucify him!" Pilate said to them, "Take him yourselves and crucify him, for I find no crime in him." The Jews answered him, "We have a law, and by that law he ought to die, because he has made himself the Son of God." [this leads to a word with Jesus and another effort to save him by Pilate after which he is delivered to the wishes of the crowd]

The consistent story is one of a Roman official wanting to do justice but needing to keep the peace. The depiction of Pilate in the film was extremely consistent with the Bible and some of the Roman guards were depicted as the sadists that they probably were (no Jews were shown in that light, BTW; they were bystanders). This indicates one might "finger" the priests, but I am not assigning blame. I am not here to judge. The people who did this died a long time ago. What they did is between them and their God. Those who are Christians must believe that part of why Jesus was here was for this transformation and the crucifixion was necessary. Therefore, how can we blame anyone for being responsible for it? I do not. Judas (a desciple), the Romans, the priests, the people--they all played a part. Jesus himself forgave those who did it, and those who believe in him have a responsibility to believe that God did as well and to try to do so themselves if they have not already. I don't believe that this event really has anything to do with the Jewish people as a people and let's remember that it was individual Jews who started Christianity in the first place.

I would be saddened in the extreme if this film were to be used to fuel anti-Semitic feeling. However, I would also be saddened if it were used to muzzle freedom of expression. What if even inadvertent and/or miniscule slights against one or another group suddenly became grounds for a book burning?
-_-

I want to see this movie, but I'm absolutely terrified that I'll completely break down in tears. Anti-semitism could probably be found in this film, but anyone who is a Christian knows it wasn't the Jews who killed Jesus. It was us. He died for us. All of us. Mel Gibson said that himself in his interview with Barbara Walters.

I finally saw this movie last night and in no way did I feel it was anti-semitic. And yes the movie was graphic, but Jesus certainly didn't receive just a slap on the wrist. I walked away with a better understanding of what Jesus went through for us and even what his mother went through.... and I walked away with a lot of questions as well -- questions that I will get answers to from my priest. For me it was an uplifiting movie.

I'm wanting to see this movie, but i'm just going to wait because i might loose my lunch watching it from the crucifiction. i can't stand stuff like that. I'm just wondering how accurate it is.