The Soul of Irina Derevko

"I told her I had the perfect wife replacement.” He smiled.
Yeah, perfect indeed.

I got to read two chapters today.
How funny to see Irina unable to handle Sydney's hyperactivity in the stores and all! That's a picture I'll never get out of my head!
Why Sydney 'snapped out' of it was well thought of, how she came back to being herself because she felt she needed to help Irina, of all people...that was a great idea.

PART 7 – Beginnings

Dr. Eunice Wong walked off the Aeroflot plane in the late afternoon. It was still quite light outside and definitely colder than Los Angeles. Jack Bristow warned her that she would be wise to bring warm clothes. She wore thermal underwear, boots, a cream-colored wool pantsuit, with a pale green wool turtleneck, and gloves. She had a parka packed in her suitcase just as a precaution. In spite of all she wore, it still felt cool when she walked to the terminal. It looked like Russia was upgrading the international terminal.

She went through customs, saying she was here on a pleasure trip to visit Moscow. The customs agent was pleasant and courteous to the white-haired doctor as he checked her belongings. He stamped her passport and visa. He wished her a good stay in the city. She went through the gates with her one suitcase and looked around. She wasn’t sure who would meet her. It might be one of those chauffeured limousines with a sign printed with her name.

It was at that moment she saw ‘Laura Bristow.’ She gasped aloud, even though when she talked with Jack three days ago and he told her Laura was alive, it was hard to grasp. Laura Bristow supposedly drowned in the Los Angeles River. Her body was never found and everyone believed she’d been carried out into the harbor and possibly into the ocean. It was a speculation that no one really wanted to think about. There had been a memorial service without a casket or a body.

“Dr Wong…Eunice.” Irina stepped forward, leaned down, and kissed Eunice on both cheeks. “I’m glad you agreed to come.” She picked up the suitcase.

Eunice Wong was still staring at ‘Laura’ as they walked through the terminal. Irina helped her into the back seat of a black Mercedes, chauffeured by the biggest man Eunice had ever seen. Irina introduced him as Grigor, her friend, and bodyguard. She asked him to drive a little around the city to show it off.

“What the hell happened to you,” Eunice said as the car pulled away. She figured she was old enough to be blunt.

Irina laughed, “That is part of why you are here, Doctor. To help me sort out the complexities of my life. Jack told me that I needed to talk to someone. He volunteered, of course, but I thought I should tell or confess to someone who has no vested interest or personal connection. When he told me you had given him some advice about Sydney, I remembered conversations with you during faculty meetings. I asked him to get in touch and here you are.”

“Laura…”

Irina put her hand on Eunice’s, “No, Laura Bristow is dead. My name is Irina Derevko. I was a spy and an assassin when I married Jack.”

“Assassin?” Eunice was intrigued. “You’ve killed people?”

“Yes, but that is one reason you are here. I need to talk to someone. I have nightmares and…” She sighed, “…they are getting worse. I must deal with my past in order to live in my future.” She glanced out the window. “But first, let me introduce you to my city, the city of my birth, Moscow.”

They drove through the city getting closer to the Kremlin, Red Square, St. Basil’s Cathedral, and even the G.U.M. Department store. Irina pointed out Lubyanka Prison, which had been notorious during the reign of the Soviets. An hour after leaving the airport, Grigor stopped in front of an apartment house. He opened the door and helped Eunice out. Irina followed and helped her up the steps to the door.

There Irina punched in a code and the doors opened automatically. Eunice was impressed. Not even her condominium had that kind entrance. Irina led the way to her apartment on the second floor. She had another code box, which activated the door lock. She opened it and stood aside to allow Dr. Wong to enter.

“Your coat, Eunice…is it alright if I call you that.”

“Of course, Laura, no I mean Irina, which if I may say is a beautiful name.”

“It means ‘peace’.” Irina walked to the kitchen. “Tea?”

“Please. No cream or sugar.”

Thirty minutes later, Irina and Eunice sat facing each other. Irina smiled tentatively, “How would you like to proceed? I can start anywhere you want, I suppose.”

Eunice regarded her host with real interest. She saw a tall woman who looked to be in her mid-fifties with wonderful long chestnut hair that showed very little gray. Her mouth was wide with full lips and, when she smiled, her teeth looked white. Her eyes were dark and somewhat guarded as she spoke.

Looking about the room, Eunice noted that the furnishings were somewhat modern and the decorations personal. The coffee table contained a couple of magazines. Paintings hung on the walls. They were tasteful and colorful. She saw nothing dark to match the feelings engendered by nightmares. She was sitting in a comfortable overstuffed chair.

“Let me explain what I want from you,” said Eunice. “As you stated, you are being terrorized by nightmares, brought about by your life experiences, some of which you spent as a spy and…an assassin. I think I would like you start by talking about your childhood and how you ended up in so dangerous profession.”

Irina started.

I was born Irina Annya Derevko on March 22, 1951 in Moscow. I was the eldest daughter of Annya Viktoria Derevkova and Mikhail Alexandriy Probukov.

“My father was a low-level KGB officer who worked in the offices located in #2 Dzerzhinskiy Square. His superiors saw him as a dedicated and intelligent young man, who would be moving up the steps of power within the organization. He would stay in the operations department for the rest of his life. He was born in Moscow in 1925.

“Annya Derevkova, who was from Georgia, was a teacher by profession. She too was born in 1925. She taught in a school run by the KGB for the children of their employees. She was intelligent and pragmatic. She knew her husband was a good man. He worked for a hated organization, but he was a good husband to her and the family. She graduated from Moscow University in 1948 with a teaching degree. She spoke not only her native language, but also English.

“Mama was a valuable asset to Papa during the years of their marriage. She would translate for him and he could trust her translation. He often had her translate articles and memos the KGB gathered; then he would turn the articles and memos over to men in his department including his superiors. Their translations many times were fiction from their imagination.

“Growing up as daughters of a KGB employee meant we got certain privileges, like an apartment we did not have to share with another family. We Russians were poor, very poor, during and after the war.

“My first memory was that of sleeping on a thick mat when I was two. I had a corner of the family’s communal room. There was a small bedroom, which belonged to my parents. They had only room for a bed and dresser. Clothes were carefully folded and hung near the door in a chest. I learned very early to organize my few possessions.

“A doll was my only toy for the first four years of my life. Although Papa was a KGB employee, most of his salary went for rent and food. He had one benefit the apartment was theirs alone. They did not share it with anyone else, as most Muscovites did. It was five years after the war and things still were bad.

“Being a teacher in the KGB school was another benefit for the family. Mama taught English to the children. I could speak good Russian, but also I began to learn English at the age of three. I could read very well and do math equally as well. When the school tested all six-year old children, I was at the top for language, math, as well as cognitive skills. The KGB tagged my files for future reference.

“When I was three, a new sister arrived. She was named Yelena. My sister had rich dark skin and hair like Mama’s, whereas mine was a beautiful chestnut brown. For some reason, I did not like my baby sister, but I refrained from acting no worse than any other three year old. My parents thought I was jealous of the baby.

“My father was promoted by this time, running a small department within the KGB. That meant more money and a bigger apartment. We moved to one with two tiny bedrooms. There was also more food available and a few items of luxury. As a KGB officer, Papa was able to get a short wave radio so the family could listen to broadcasts from around the world. This introduced me to other countries.

“I was never one to fuss about food. I ate to stay alive, but that was it. My favorite food was hot soups of any kind during the winter. Borscht, cold, was another. As I grew older, I helped with the cooking, but did not care about learning how to prepare food. I would rather read. Finally, Mama threw up her hands in despair. She decided I had better find a man who would love me passionately enough to forgive my shortcomings in the cooking department.

“I had two good friends: Sasha Stuka and Maria Badovskova. They lived in an apartment in the next building. The three of us would never tire playing. I would wait until Mama returned home and then went out to be with my friends. We played with an old soccer ball Sasha’s father had picked up in his travels as a KGB agent. I was slightly taller and faster than the other two. I was fast too, taking the ball away from the other two many times using my speed and agility to keep it away from them.

“At the age of seven, my playing days ended for a while. I had another sister, Ekaterina, known as Katya, who was born in 1958 and Mama expected me to help. Elena was four now and talking more every day. I spent time teaching her the English I knew, much to the amusement of my parents. Still, we were not friends. With Katya’s birth, my responsibilities multiplied. I played now only on Saturdays or Sundays, when I could. I was old enough to help Mama around the house.

“Politically, I joined the Komsomolets, a pre-teen Communist organization when I was seven. I loved the marching and singing they did. One year they were honored to march in the May Day celebration parade into Red Square. They usually met after school once a week. I thought the speakers were heroic. They told about the war and the bravery of the Russian people. They also spoke of the evil lying in the west, the United States.

“Once I caused in uproar because I wanted to know if the United States was evil, why it helped Russia during the war. I had heard a broadcast over the short wave radio that was chronicling events. The United States was mentioned prominently as the main reason the war was won. I was severely reprimanded by the leader, who wanted to know who told me that. I understood, then, at that young age, to keep secrets. Instead, I told my first lie. I said I overheard my father talking to Mama. Fortunately, the Komsomolets leader dropped the subject.

“Because of my learning skills and intelligence, which was extremely high I jumped ahead in my schooling and was tested for intelligence. I came out on top of the forty children who spent a day with teachers and psychologists. The instructors and psychologists pored over the file and concluded I needed to be watched for increasing cognitive and learning skills. Irina Derevko was a candidate for a job that was more than what most girls expected when they were adults.

“When I was thirteen, two events happened. First, I got my period. Mama laughed at my consternation. She sat me down and told me what it meant. I could have babies. I was surprised. Why would I want babies? I didn’t plan to marry for years and years, so why I have to go through the pain and mess. Mama laughed at me, thinking that it would not be long before boys began to interest me.

“The second event was meeting Alexander Khasinau for the first time. He was a friend of my father’s and insisted the girls call him ‘uncle Alexei’. He brought me books, Katya a sweet and Elena, a doll. He was lean, tall and seemed cold. When he smiled though, his mouth changed everything. He spent most of his time with me. I was extremely bright. It was Alexander, who encouraged me to concentrate on English and focus especially on Americanisms.”

“When you are older you will be able to get excellent placement within the Party.” He told me one day.

“I exceeded Khasinau’s expectations. I not only spoke English, but I also had the ability to speak with an almost perfect American accent. I read English literature voraciously and found I loved the stories. Novels of the 19th and 20th centuries were my favorites. It wasn’t long before I decided I was going to be a teacher like Mama.

“As I matured, I dated a few boys, but they were stupid. Most tried to have sex with me, but I decided that I would have to find someone on my own intellectual level. Mama was secretly pleased. She told Papa their eldest daughter was showing some common sense.

“I know he rolled his eyes. I think he was afraid I was going to be staying with the family for a longer period of time. We were poor still. I remember him saying Katya was going to be their biggest worry. She was already talking about this boy and that boy and she was only eight.

“I graduated first in my class. My parents were on hand along with my two sisters and Alexander Khasinau. They took me out to a restaurant for a celebratory dinner. I was allowed to choose what to eat and to drink. The family spent three hours eating and drinking. They toasted me several times. I found drinking pleasurable, but I did not like the way Khasinau kept looking at me. I found I could drink without losing my senses as some did. Therefore, when they were ready to leave the restaurant, Khasinau asked Papa if he could take me home. He wanted to talk to me alone. My parents had had far too much to drink and Papa agreed.”

“Khasinau took me by the elbow. I wanted my elbow back and removed it from his grasp. I told him I was not a child and to let go.

“He laughed at me telling me I was a tough little girl, which made me angrier because I wasn’t little. I was nearly one and half meters tall, six-feet as one would say in the West. Papa was almost four inches taller. I was, in fact, as tall as Khasinau. My younger body was lean and muscular. I was very strong for a woman.

“He apologized. He said he wanted to talk to me about my future. I said he thought I would make an excellent agent for the KGB. I was astounded. Serve my country. That was something I had not thought about. I was hoping I could be a teacher like Mama. He said that if I did well, I might even be sent to America as a spy. This is a very hard time for the motherland. He said we had to keep ahead of the Americans, or at least learn what they are doing in intelligence gathering.

“By The time I graduated from high school, I was already headed for the KGB Academy. The State chooses your profession, not you. I had dreamed about being a teacher like my mother who enjoyed a certain status among other women where we lived. The KGB,” she almost spat out the words, “allowed me to go to the University of Moscow for two years. I was told to take English courses—as many as I could. I was also told to lose my accent. With proper elocution lessons, I did.

“After the first year, which I loved, they sent me to the Academy for a year and then to Central City which was nearly a 1500 kilometers from here. There they had built a city…an American city—everything in it was American. We slept, drank, talked, and ate everything American. No one could leave unless they flunked, as Americans would say. However, if you spoke English extremely well, you could end up a handler for someone like me.”

Irina told Dr. Wong about the training she received. The intensity of it seemed amazing to the older woman.

“You say you had to speak perfect English while you were at the City. Didn’t anyone ever break that rule?”

“Yes…I did once.”

“So why didn’t they dismiss you?”

Irina stood and stretched. “How about dinner?”

Eunice glanced at her watch. “Oh, it is getting late and I should check into a hotel.”

“I’ve made arrangements for you to have the use of an apartment across the hall. It belongs to my daughter, Sydney.”

“She’s not here?”

Irina smiled, “No, she’s in Los Angeles with her fiancé who is recovering from an auto accident.” She picked up the other woman’s bag and opened the door. “Suppose you get settled, and then return in a half hour. Dinner will be ready and we can talk so more.”

At dinner, Irina fed her guest borscht and lamb. Irina wanted to talk about Dr. Wong and her family. It was a pleasant interlude considering what Irina was going to tell the doctor.

Finally, they settled themselves in the living room once more. Eunice looked at Irina, waiting, but said to prompt her. “You indicated you had broken the rule about speaking only English. Why was that so important?”

“Because if an agent sent to America spoke Russian during, let’s say, having sex, it could blow their cover and they’d end up in prison or worse.”

“So when did you break the rule?”

“During my initial sex training.” Irina laughed.

“Sex training?” Eunice’s eyes widened.

“Yes, all candidates had to learn how to seduce and how to use sex as a weapon. The Kama Sutra was taught extensively. However, my first experience was not Kama Sutra…it was rape!” She closed her eyes, still seeing the man. “He was new and no one told him I—I was a virgin. No man or boy had entered me for that purpose. I’d never been interested.

“He threw me down, ripped off my clothes, and raped me. I screamed and called him a son of a b*itch in Russian. He hit me a couple of times and then dragged me to the trainer. I realized what I’d done and I thought they would send me home in disgrace.”

“Ummm, didn’t anyone ever get pregnant?” Eunice envisioned that happening.

“No, every female agent in training was on the pill.”

“So what happened to you,” asked Eunice.

“I was interrogated for almost a week.” Irina smiled. “Tortured. They knew I had top marks in all the other protocols. Now they wanted to see how long it would take to break me. They didn’t. I knew that bastard had broken the rules and I was damned sure I would not be dismissed because of him. I wasn’t. I don’t know what happened to him except he was not around anymore.”

“By the end of the week, they figured I was important enough to keep. They knew I would not break if I were caught. I have a strong mind, Eunice, very strong.”

“Yes, I would think so, especially with an IQ as high as yours.” She sighed, glancing at her watch. “Do you mind, I think I need some sleep? I don’t sleep well on a plane.”

Irina stood and helped the seventy-five year old out of the chair. “Sleep as long as you wish. I usually run early in the morning and am not back in my apartment until six.” She walked Eunice to the door. “You remember the code for the apartment?”

“Four one seven seven five.” Eunice said.

“Good.”

The next morning was cold, but Irina returned to her apartment feeling better than yesterday. She had been regaining her strength every day she ran. She was still not up to her usual distance speed, but she knew it would come with time. She showered and dressed. She went to her computer to check for messages. There was one from Jack.

Sweetheart, how are you and Dr. Wong doing? Vaughn is doing better. Sydney spent the last five nights with him. He’s still groggy because of the medication, but recognized Sydney. Keep in touch. Love, Jack

She heard a knock at the door. Eunice was up. It was seven-thirty. Irina shut down the computer and then opened the door.

“Eunice, did you sleep well,” Irina asked.

“Perfect, thank you. The bed was wonderful.”

“Tea,” Irina walked to the kitchen with the doctor following.

“Yes, but tell me, how did you sleep? Any nightmares? After all you relived the torture the KGB put you through.”

“None. I slept well. The torture or as they said Interrogation, was nothing.” She poured the water and handed the cup to her visitor. “Scrambled eggs and toast?” She offered as breakfast.

“One egg and toast,” Eunice said.

They resumed Irina’s story. “I passed the Academy and said goodbye to my parents. They did not know where I was going. It was, as you know, a secret that only my immediate superior and my handler knew. Somewhere in the United States was a man I was to seduce, possibly marry or become his mistress.”

“Jack?”

“Yes, Jack Bristow. He was a year older than I and was already a CIA agent. He joined when he was a junior in the University of West Virginia. He graduated summa cum laude and was already working on a project that the KGB was interested in learning about: Project Christmas.

“When I landed in the U.S., I had no idea whatsoever of what would happen…only that I had to secure any and all information on Project Christmas. I thought I would only be there a few weeks. Instead,” she said quietly, her eyes looking somewhere behind Eunice, “I spent the next ten years of my life married to a man that I care about and…” she paused to look at her guest, “to love.”

“Does he know?”

“That I love him?” Irina smiled. “I think by now he does.”

:love:

Wow... starting to catch up on everything I missed in the past two weeks...

Bev, the way you write Irina is really astonishing. I love the background and history. It's so beautiful!

AN: Sorry this is a day late, but then you only have to wait two days for the next installment. This is a bit benign too, compared to other parts coming up.

Part 8 – Family and Job

Irina suddenly wanted to lie down and did so. She folded her hands over her stomach. “I was eager to prove I was the best agent the KGB had ever had. I also knew they had picked a man for me. He was tall, good-looking, other than having large ears, and extremely intelligent. He was twenty-two and working on the Project Christmas.

“What was that?”

“Briefly, it was a plan to teach children how to be a spy.” She sat up, seeing the consternation in Dr. Wong’s face. “It really was a way to help children to defend themselves.” Irina tried to soft pedal the idea. “If they were good, they also made possible agents when they grew up. It was a long process. It was not anything that happened overnight.”

“And Jack Bristow designed this program?” Eunice Wong was horrified at the thought of using children as spies.

“Yes,” Irina drew her knees up to her chest. “It had immense possibilities. The KGB actually did set up a program with the material I stole from Jack’s briefcase.”

“So tell me more about your relationship with him.”

“We enjoyed dating. I knew he was falling in love with me. We were very happy and he asked me to marry him two months after we met. I said I would. He told me the FBI and CIA would investigate me to see if I was a loyal citizen. My handler passed the news on and I received permission for me to marry Jack. Idiots! I would have married him with or without it. However, they had provided me with a background that was impeccable so the FBI and CIA never found out.

“We married in November of 1971. I began to do my job after we had a very short honeymoon. We would have sex, Jack fell asleep, and I would investigate his briefcase. I had a key made to match his, which I hid first in my copy of Alice in Wonderland in my personal library. I enrolled in February at UCLA in its doctorate program. They hired me as an assistant teacher prior to that.”

Eunice showed surprise, “You had completed your masters?”

Irina nodded, “Yes in Moscow. However, the KGB initiated information from a small college in Virginia, which proved I had a Masters from them. I simply gave the information to the University and they processed my application.”

“Impressive,” said Eunice Wong. “How long did it take to get your PhD from UCLA?”

“Two years.”

“You did the work yourself?”

“Of course!” Irina was grinning. The process had not been hard, at least for her.

“Jack took me to Hawaii as a celebration and that was when I conceived our daughter. It was a wonderful week.” Irina did not need to go into details about it.

“How about friends and Jack’s family? Did they like you?”

“Actually Jack’s parents were dead when I met him. He had friends only in the CIA, especially after he went to work there full time. His best friend…Arvin Sloane.”

”Oh!” Eunice had heard the name in connection with the nearly disastrous Apocalypse, which occurred only weeks ago. “I didn’t realize he knew him.”

Irina snorted. “Yes, Arvin was a little older than Jack. He took him under his wing at CIA and they became very good friends. Jack introduced Arvin and his wife, Emily, to me soon after we were married.” She closed her eyes. “That was perhaps the worst thing that ever happened to us, but neither of us knew it at the time.”

“Being friends?”

Irina nodded. “A few weeks after I met Arvin, he began talking about a scientist named Milo Rambaldi and how he was brilliant, too brilliant for his time. He lived in Italy at the same time as Leonardo and Michelangelo, but he became entangled with the Pope and the court and eventually was burned as a heretic. He had inventions beyond what Leonardo predicted. Moreover, he had a following of both men and women, who made sure his inventions and manuscripts were kept hidden all over the world.

“Arvin would talk about these manuscripts and artifacts and how he, Rambaldi, had predicted the end of the world and how someone would from the future save the world if they caught it in time. He would bring artifacts home that he found and show them to us. He said that Rambaldi had found a way to extend life, as we know it. He said he was going to find it too.

“Jack scoffed, being the pragmatist he is, but I was caught up in the idea and duly reported it to the KGB. It wasn’t long before they too were hunting for the secrets of Rambaldi. I thought it wasn’t true until he brought one of Rambaldi’s manuscripts home and showed it to us. There was something mystical about it. Of course as a few of us know, Rambaldi predicted many things that would and did happen from the time of his life up until now.”

“You indicated that you were not only a spy, but an assassin. Do you want to talk about that? It seems it would have a lot to do with your nightmares.”

Irina stood and walked to the window, which overlooked the street. She was organizing her thoughts. “A part of my assignment was to eliminate agents who were working against my country.

“As a member of the faculty, I did travel out of the country a few times. Each time, the KGB gave me an assignment to take out an agent. Each time they supplied me with a weapon at an appointed spot. Before that though, through my handler here, I was told the name of the agent and what he was reportedly doing, and where he would be while I was in that city.

“My instructions were always to pick the place, weapon, and time if at all possible.” Irina looked at Eunice, who seemed a bit shocked as she spoke. “Remember, this was during the cold war. Our two countries, yours and mine, were fighting a war without using nuclear weapons, so most of the time it was simply a chess game. Each side took a piece, like the game does. Do you understand?”

Eunice nodded, “Yes, I see that it was a chess game with human lives as the pieces.”

“Remember, Eunice, both sides sustained injuries and deaths. I was not afforded the luxury of fellow soldiers by my side, shooting at the same target. My country depended on me.” She returned to the sofa, sat down to face the other woman.

“How many did you kill?”

“On orders from the KGB, eleven over the ten-year period. Unfortunately, two were friends of Jack’s and mine. We had been to their homes for dinner, barbecues, or together at CIA parties.” Irina closed her eyes, rubbing them, and then re-opened them.

“My God,” whispered Dr. Wong, staring at the younger woman. “How awful.”

“At the time, I had to compartmentalize my thoughts, so that emotion did not take over. What was really terrible was going to their funerals.” Irina sat quietly remembering them. She closed her eyes again, pictures floating across them as she saw the families sitting bravely at the graveside. Tears ran down her cheeks.

“Irina, my dear,” Eunice said.

“No, I can’t…it was my job then.”

Eunice sat beside her; put her right arm around Irina’s waist and taking her left hand in hers, whispered, “Of course, it was. I can understand that…analytically. I think it’s time you stop compartmentalizing and let your emotions out. You need to get rid of some of the hurt in order to begin to heal.”

“C-C-could we stop?” Irina wanted to curl up on her bed in private.

“Yes, of course,” Eunice stood up. “When do you want me back?”

“Th-this evening, around six. We’ll talk about Sydney and Jack before dinner.”

At the appointed time, Eunice Wong rang the bell at the other apartment. Irina answered immediately. Eunice saw she had some tears in her eyes.

“Are you all right?”

“Yes, come to the sofa.” Irina sat down indicating Eunice sit beside her. There were pictures scattered about the table, and on first glance, most of them were of a little girl and her subsequent years of growing up. Sydney.

“I want to talk about Sydney and Jack.” Irina glanced at the pictures. Her hand, large and slender, reached out touching them lovingly.

“Very well.”

“Jack was the best husband any woman could have. True, he was gone for days at a time, but his love for me was total. With his encouragement, I went for my PhD. The KGB cared nothing about it…I had my Masters and for them, that was all that was needed to get me into some school to teach.

“Jack, however, thought if I was going to be a teacher, I should get more than a Masters. He told me that a PhD would open bigger doors for me. He wanted me to have a career so that, even though he never spoke of it, if he were killed I would have a profession.”

“So he told you about being a CIA agent?”

Irina nodded, “I was appropriately surprised when he did. If I told anyone I was a KGB field agent I would have been killed.”

“Go on…”

“Anyway I graduated and became a full professor at UCLA in the English Department. To celebrate, Jack took me on a second honeymoon, to Hawaii. As I told you earlier, it was the best vacation ever, because I conceived Sydney then. Nine months later, she was born.’ Irina glanced down at the pictures.

“Jack was the best father in the world. I knew this after only a week home with our baby. He helped in every way possible. He held her when she cried. He changed her diapers, gave her baths, and sang to her. He has a passable voice and she loved it. Between the two of us, Sydney knew she was loved and responded in every possible way, including sleeping at night for eight hours.

“When Jack was gone, and he had to go on assignments, I did everything. I adored her.” Irina looked wistful. “Sydney knew this and there were times when she would try to get her way, but both Jack and I decided this little girl would be raised to respect us, but would know we loved her a great deal.”

Eunice glanced at the pictures, moving them around so she could see all of them. “You had someone take these?”

“A friend here in Los Angeles…he was discreet.” Irina touched the pictures again. “I can’t tell you how much they meant to me.”

“But I can guess,” whispered Eunice. She paused, “then you left.”

Irina stood abruptly. “Yes,” and walked to the kitchen. “Would you like some tea?”

“Thank you.” Eunice followed her. She sat at the table, watching Irina fix the tea. “You left!”

“Yes, actually I died. The extraction team arranged for an ‘accident’. I disappeared; supposedly dead in a freak crash that sent me into a raging Los Angeles river. They never found my body and I was presumed dead.”

“You went back to Russia.”

“Yes.”

“What happened to your family?”

“Jack was told a day later that I was a spy and assassin. Arvin was appropriately sorry. He was there when the FBI told him. They arrested Jack as a possible spy.” They put him in solitary confinement for six months. Meanwhile Sydney was given to the care of a nanny whom Jack hired.

“Six months later when Arvin and friends in the CIA cleared Jack, he was let go. He returned home to find Sydney nearly seven. He immediately began training her in the Project Christmas protocols.”

“My God,” said Eunice.

“He was told by the CIA that he had to do it or return to prison.”

“So Arvin helped Jack get out of prison?”

Irina snorted, poured the tea, and handed a cup to the doctor. “Arvin Sloane was a bastard. A month before I was pulled out, he told me I had to sleep with him or he would tell Jack and the CIA that I was a spy. How he found out is another story and nothing to do with Jack and Sydney. So I slept with him—three times.”

“My God,” breathed Eunice. She realized she was repeating herself.

“He wanted a child and thought he’d get me pregnant. I was not about to have a child fathered by a man I did not love.” She sipped her tea. “I went off the pills when Jack came home from his latest mission. The child Sloane might think was his, would be Jack’s.”

“Did you have another child,” asked Eunice.

“Yes, I gave birth after I was released from prison.”

“Prison?”

“Yes.” Irina stood. “Let’s go to dinner. I’m not sure I’m ready to talk about that.”

:thinking:

Part 9 – Jack

“Tell me just about Jack Bristow.” Eunice and Irina were walking in Gorky Park. Eunice thought it a good idea to get some exercise. Outside the sun was shining, the sky was blue without any clouds and there were hundreds of people in the park.

“My husband,” said Irina sarcastically, “is a man I betrayed twice even though I care for him a great deal.”

“You love him?” Eunice was persistent.

Irina stopped for a moment, looking at the elderly doctor. She nodded. “Yes, but I don’t think the emotion is returned. At least by now I think the bloom has worn off.”

“Are you divorced?”

“I didn’t divorce him, because I never got around to it and…” she shrugged, “I was too busy.”

Eunice studied her for a moment. “You are lying.”

Irina blushed. “I—I just never thought about doing it. I thought he would.”

“And he didn’t either?”

Irina shook her head. “No, when I was in CIA’s hands he told me that we were legally still married.”

Eunice chuckled. “Sounds to me neither of you want to cut the cord. But tell me about him when he was young.”

Irina stopped walking and stared over a small lake, remembering the first few weeks she knew Jack. It was so long ago, but she could and did tell Eunice everything. It happened over thirty years ago in Washington D.C. when she rented an apartment in the same building that Jack Bristow resided.

Laura Cain walked toward her mailbox, which was one of twenty on a wall. She opened hers just as a tall, young man walked up to his. He smiled at her. “Hi. I haven’t seen you before…you just move in?”

Laura flashed a wide smile, “Yes. I’m Laura…Laura Cain.”

“Jack Bristow,” he answered putting his hand out reaching for hers.

“Nice to meet you,” Laura said, shaking it. She saw that he was better looking than the pictures the KGB had furnished. He was six foot two, with dark hair, firm lips, dark eyes, and large ears. They did not detract though from the over all picture of someone she wanted to know better…or had to know better. He was a clean-cut all-American man.

“How long have you been here?”

“Just a couple of days. I’m going to be teaching at the local college. English Lit.”

“How about dinner tonight,” he asked, “not a date…just something simple.

“Sure, as long as we go Dutch.”

“I’d also like to show you Washington if you haven’t been here.”

“I would love it,” sounding enthusiastic, she flashed him the warmest smiled he’d ever seen.

They began seeing each other several times a week. Jack was fun and very knowledgeable about Washington and took her everywhere. He made her laugh and she listened to him. She made him feel so good that he was sure he might be falling in love. Three weeks after their first date, he took her to dinner and this time, she let him pay the bill. They were on their first real date.

Back at the apartment house, he helped her out of the car. “Come up for a drink,” she said.

“Sure,” he said. It was the first time she had asked him to her apartment.

He took her key and opened the door. She stepped inside. “I have scotch and vodka and…wine.” She tossed her purse and keys on the bar. “Find some music would you?”

“Scotch and water,” Jack said. He saw the radio and turned it on to the FM station that had some cool jazz. The music came on as she came back with a glass.

She sat on the sofa, pulling her legs up under her. “To us.” She downed a shot of vodka.

Jack grinned, “To us.” He saw the invitation and moved to sit next to her. Putting his drink on the coffee table, he leaned toward her face and kissed her. She kissed him back, moving her legs to the floor. She felt his arms pull her closer and he pursued the kiss. Laura felt the heat rise in her and she knew he was getting hot too.

“Would you like to spend the night?” She asked, pulling back to look at him.

Jack swallowed hard, “Oh Laura,” he was in shock. He’d had sex with other girls, but none of them made him feel like she did.

She pulled him to his feet. Her hands went inside his pants. He gasped. Laura smiled and licked her lips. “Come on,” she whispered and turned to lead the way. She began undressing him as she pulled him into her bedroom. As she moved, his hands came alive also. She pulled his shirt off, then the belt and unzipped his pants. He followed by pulling her dress off, revealing a bra and sheer panties.

“Stop gaping,” she whispered, stepping out of the panties and taking off the bra. She slipped between the sheets, as he kicked off his loafers, dropped his pants and boxers together. He slid into bed, pulling her close, smothering her with kisses. She opened her legs, knowing his erection was hard.

He entered her and thrust only a couple of times before he came. He lifted himself. “Oh God, Laura, I’m so sorry…I can do better for you, really.” He reddened and looked embarrassed. He could do better, he knew, because no woman he’d been with had ever complained.

She put both hands on either side his face and kissed him. “I know, Jack. Just relax and we’ll see what we can do.” She kissed him again.

“He did and pleasured me royally.” Irina smiled. “He never disappointed me again. He became the consummate lover. We married two and a half months later.” She looked at Eunice, smiling. “It wasn’t too…ummm…graphic, was it?”

“No, of course not. I’ve heard some fairly x-rated stories.” The psychologist smiled. “How did you get along then?”

Irina shook her head, “no problems. He was a great husband, friend, and father.” She hesitated for a moment and then continued, “It wasn’t too long before I realized this was the only man I wanted to spend my life with. Imagine traveling twelve thousand miles to find your soul mate.”

“How could you do your job when you had a man so good to you?”

“I had to compartmentalize my life. I had a handler, Ivan Valenko, who passed on my orders and who took the information I stole from Jack’s briefcase sending it on to the KGB. I wanted to be with Jack for as long as I could. So I had to do my job to the best of my abilities. Somewhere, in the back of my mind, I knew I’d be called home. I wanted to put it off for as long as I could.”

“Orders? You mean the assassinations?”

Irina looked off in the distance toward St. Basil’s Cathedral. “Yes! If I failed, the KGB would order me home or kill me; neither was an option and if I refused, I would be killed along with my husband and my daughter.”

“You mentioned earlier that you were ordered to kill agents who were friends. How did you feel about that? Tell me about one.”

“They were friends of Jack’s. I knew the wives, but not well enough to call them girlfriends. We socialized a few times…” She moved her eyes to a building in the distance. She knew Eunice did not know that it was KGB headquarters, now the SVR’s.

“What happened?”

Irina thought for a moment. She had a frown on her face as she put the words together for the doctor.

Laura was fixing dinner. She had returned from the conference in Toronto that morning. She called Jack, who sounded upset.

“What’s wrong, sweetheart,” she asked.

“Paul Masters was killed two days ago.” His voice was tense.

“Oh no,” she responded. “Poor Evelyn. I’ll have to call her. What happened?”

“He was killed in London, Ontario. Assassinated. Someone put a bullet in his head.”

“Oh my God,” cried Laura. “Who would do such a thing?”

“We don’t know yet, but I suspect the KGB. I’ll be home later than usual, darling.”

“I’ll wait dinner for you. I love you. Be careful.”

That night they made love. Laura was so sorry about Paul. She told Jack that she’d called his wife and told her if she could help in any way she would. Evelyn asked her to take care of their two boys the next day. She had to fly to Langley and then arrange the funeral. Laura told her she would.

“Thank you, sweetheart,” said Jack. “You are a wonderful woman. I don’t know what I’d do without you.”

“What did you think about Jack then?”

Irina laughed, “At first when I met him, I thought him a fool. He didn’t suspect anything. Then I began to have real feelings for him. I realized he was everything any woman would want—American or Russian. He was good looking, intelligent, funny, respectful, kind, and patriotic. Of course, he had to be that considering his job with the CIA.”

“He told you what his job was?”

“Yes!”

“Weren’t you worried? I mean what if the KGB told you to kill him—that he was a danger to your country?”

Irina stared at her, “I don’t know what I would have done then. I might have confessed who I really was. Now, however, I would find a way to protect him. He raised Sydney after I left, although I have a few issues about his methods.”

The two women stood and started walking back toward the apartment. They had been talking for what seemed like hours. Eunice felt a bit tired. Still the probing of Irina’s feelings, her soul so-to-speak, was fascinating. “What do you think he felt when you returned from the dead?”

Irina laughed, “He was furious, angry and filled with hate. He wanted me dead. You know there is a fine line between love and hate. He promised to kill me if I entangled Sydney in any way in my endgame. He damn near did it too. He framed me for an attack on Sydney.” She explained. “Then we went together to Kashmir, the three of us. I cooperated fully; I helped Sydney and Jack survive a rebel attack twice and got them out of the prison with the Rambaldi artifact.”

“So there was method in your ‘madness’,” said Eunice. She had been told some of Irina’s background.

“Of course. However, the real reason was not connected to our relationship. I just used him again to get to my objective—Arvin Sloane.” Irina chuckled. “However, Jack knew I was up to something—he just didn’t know what. Therefore, we fell into bed together after twenty years and he planted a passive tracker on me. He had not lost his touch.”

They went up the steps to the apartment house and two minutes later were back inside. Irina hung up her coat and walked to the kitchen. “Do you want some tea?”

Eunice nodded. “You say he didn’t lose his touch, you mean his ability to make love to you?”

Irina laughed as she put the kettle on the stove. “Yes, and he was as good as I remembered.”

Jack went over the plans carefully. He wanted her to be sure and hopefully safe. She looked at him over the rim of her wineglass, a half smile on her lips.

“Pretty straightforward.” She said.

“I think we have a shot,” Jack said quietly almost giddy, but still sober.

Irina looked at him. “There’s one thing. The tracker you put in my shoulder.”

“You want it removed.” He knew it.

“If they discovered I’ve been tagged, it’s over. We both know that.”

He nodded and went to his bag to take out a small tool kit. “I have a knife and small pliers. This might hurt.”

She shrugged, pulling the top of the government- issue tee down to reveal her bare shoulder. “Do it.”

He made an incision. She grunted with the pain. He plucked the metal tracker out, holding it up so she could see it. “Got it. You O.K.?” He put a bandage over the wound.

“This is nothing; we need to get up early.”

Jack stared at her. “Yes,” he said softly.

“We should go to bed.” She whispered her mouth half opened invitingly.

He kissed her hard as his need surged over caution. She returned the kiss with equal passion. Her right hand went to the back his head, pulling him around to the bed. They kissed hungrily, as though it had been an eternity since the last time. Jack felt all his pent-up anger and hate fall away as they broke apart briefly. She looked up at him in the soft light. It was as though the years between had never happened. It was yesterday: she was young, a mother, and a wife he adored.

He reached down again, seeking her lips, pinning her head down. He could feel their hearts beating. He could hear thunder in his ears. This was crazy. He needed her. He felt her hands on his head, running her long fingers through his hair. They kissed like lovers discovering each other again.

“Jack,” she said softly, “take off my clothes.”

It was like déjà vu, he thought. My God, how many times had she said that to him while they were husband and wife? It had been a ritual with them when they made love. Irina liked the feel of his hands on her body as he undressed her. He, in turn, had liked watching her body come alive.

He pulled her up to stand next to him. He put his hands on the sleeveless black tee, pulling it off. He reached around her body unsnapping her bra. He felt her breasts on his chest. Her eyes were closed as he leaned her back onto the bed. Gently and slowly, he pulled the blue prison pants off. She was wearing khaki-colored panties. Jack stared at her, wondering if she had known this would happen. It had been coming for sometime and it was hard for him even to look at her when they were debriefing.

He put both hands on the panties and gently pulled them off. As he did so he felt those wonderful hands unbuckling his own pants, then they were at his shirt. He threw it on the floor. He swallowed, his mind screaming for release. He stepped out of his slacks and boxers. He settled down between her legs. Leaning on his elbows on either side of her, he began to kiss her under the chin and neck. It was a technique he had used so many times before to get her ready. This time, however, he had a little more in mind.

“Jack, sweetheart,” she whispered urgently, calling him by the endearment they both used for each other. “Please.”

“No, my dear, I don’t think you’re quite ready yet.” He kept kissing her breasts, the small mole on the side of the left one, the nipples. Then, he moved slowly down the flat lean stomach, searching every inch with his tongue. She was squirming. He knew every one of her nerve endings were making her ache with desire.

Then he was at the mound of dark hair between her legs. His mouth began working, his tongue flicking and licking her thighs. He smiled when he heard her moan. She would never forget this night. He looked up toward her head, which was writhing on the pillow. Her dark chestnut hair spilled over it. He caught his breath. She was so beautiful and … and so deadly.

Suddenly, he got to his knees and lifted her by the buttocks. She was ready and so was he. He took her, plunging himself deep inside, thrusting repeatedly. He felt himself getting ready to release everything. His head was roaring. He felt her legs wrap themselves around his thighs, pulling him as far in as he could go.

She gasped; then cried out, her hips bucking as the orgasm released and her eyes glazed over a little. He thrust repeatedly, his eyes never leaving her face.

His right hand reached under the pillow.

She gave another cry as a second lesser orgasm happened. She rolled to the right, gasping, her hands reaching for him. He leaned forward and thrust again. She moved back a little.

“Ouch,” Irina cried.

“Sorry, sweetheart, I must have rubbed the bandage the wrong way,” he said. “I’ll put another on.” He started to withdraw from between her legs.

“No, wait!” She gasped as though needing to fill her lungs completely.

She reached out for him again. “Stay where you are.” She dropped back on the pillow, her eyes searching his face. Then she looked away, not letting him see the tears filling her eyes.

“I think you’d better let me –umm—go. We have to get up early.” He whispered.

She nodded, smiling, “I must say you certainly have not lost your ability to please. If anything, I’d say you were even better than the last time.” Then she remembered the last time. She felt ashamed, because she saw the hurt on face as he too remembered.

Irina caught her breath a little, remembering that night. She saw Eunice regarding her with a tiny knowing smile. She sighed, sipping the tea. “You want some more?”

“No, dear, I think I’ll go back to the apartment and take a nap. Are we going out for dinner or…”

“Out! Dinner at eight thirty.”

Eunice paused at the door. “Oh one thing more, if Jack asked you, would you be his wife again?”

“Absolutely,” Irina answered softly.

:love:

All caught up~
I love the retelling of everything from Irina's POV in the chronologcal/not always chronological orders of things.

I am going to be taking a little break from reading fanfic until the end of the summer probably so i can concentrate on my own writing. I might pop in every once and a while but please continue to PM me for updates on your fic, I will be catching up and replying with feedback etc... when I'm back reading.
I'll still be reading e-mails and PM's so you can get a hold of me that way if you want After my exam next week, I'm going to be working hard on Illusion of Sin and Absolution.

Part 10 – My Daughters

“Tell me about Sydney and Nadia.” Eunice had her feet curled up under her, sitting on the chair, looking at Irina.

They had had a pleasant evening before, chatting about school and Eunice brought Irina up-to-date on some of those that Irina knew who still taught at UCLA. The meal had been excellent. Of course, Eunice did not know the restaurant she attended with Irina was a well-known criminal owned establishment. Many of the customers there had watched the two women surreptitiously. Many wondered what Irina Derevko was planning with the white- haired elderly Chinese woman..

Now, however, it was morning and time to get some more information. Eunice smiled. “It should not be difficult.”

Irina grinned. “No, but they are two different stories. I gave birth to Sydney three and a half weeks after my own birthday. Jack was there fortunately or I would have…” her voice trailed off for the moment.

“Go on…”

“Sydney was the perfect baby. She slept when we slept for the most part. She had few bouts with colic. She ate whatever I gave her. She laughed a lot and rarely cried…well, she did when her teeth began to cut through her gums, but all babies do that. She was beautiful and both of us were proud to take her anywhere. She was Miss Curiosity and never fussed, because she was so interested in everything that went on around her.” Irina’s eyes grew misty. She smiled, sipping at the tea she brought to the sofa.

Putting down the cup, she continued. “She began walking at eight months and getting into everything. She began talking at seven months, which both Jack and I was surprised at, because everyone told us, it would be later. The extraordinary part was her vocabulary. I mean it wasn’t Mama or Dada, but she would string two or three words together.

“She developed fast. Speaking sentences and running everywhere. She very nearly wore me out. I was back teaching and occasionally I would take her to school. The university had a nursery where I could leave her. Whenever Jack was home, he would take her for an hour or so, giving me a short time to be alone.”

“Did your other job interfere?”

Irina glanced out the window to her left. “No, I managed every order I received including weekly meetings with Valenko. On those days, I usually left Sydney with Emily Sloane, who adored her. Sydney loved her too. Then when I had to go overseas for a conference, Jack or a nanny would take care of her. I rarely stayed any longer than necessary.

“You know, Jack was the most extraordinary father. He loved Sydney. She could wind him around her little finger too…what’s more she knew it.” Irina suddenly laughed. “Sometimes I had to punish her even though I promised ‘Daddy’ would do it. He was a ****y-cat when it came to his daughter.”

“How about your relationship with her?” Eunice knew if one parent punished more than the other, problems could develop.

“It was good. I loved her and she knew it. I told her every day we were together. When I was away, I always called to talk to Jack or the baby-sitter and then talked with her. She was the best thing that ever happened to me next to Jack. Do you have children?”

“Yes, a son, but he lives in New York now. I don’t see him often.”

“Try twenty some odd years.” Irina stood, taking her empty cup to the kitchen. She returned to sit again. Her hair fell forward across her face. She pulled it back behind her ear.

Eunice watched her face. It was composed now. “You were told to come home to Russia.”

“Yes and there was no way I could say no. They implied that both Jack and Sydney were dead if I disobeyed. I could not risk their lives, so I returned.” She heaved a large sigh. “I can’t begin to tell you how heartbroken I was. Sydney was six and in the first grade at school. She was taking piano lessons, ballet, and was so smart at school she was doing third grade work in all areas. She spent most of her school hours in special class with five other gifted children.” Irina’s eyes lighted up as she spoke.

“We were a very close family and…and I was sure I was pregnant again.”

“Nadia?”

“Yes, but I had had no way to test. It was just a suspicion. I felt so good, just like the time I was pregnant with Sydney.”

“So you didn’t tell your superiors when you returned?”

“No, because…” she looked at Eunice, “I wasn’t sure what they would do. I had to leave Sydney with Jack. When I came back I hoped to have this child so I could have a piece of him.” Her eyes had a far away look as she recalled her return.

Irina emerged from the plane’s cargo hold. She had been routed home from the U.S. through various transportation methods, most by cargo transports as a last minute passenger. One short hop had been in a shipping box. She was relieved finally to stand on land…her country.

Three KGB agents met her at the airport. Valenko, who was with her, was hustled off by one of the men. The other two put her into a sedan. They smiled tentatively at her. She came back to Russia after spending ten years undercover in the United States. That was remarkable. She sat in the back seat with one of the men. She twisted and turned to see the city she had not seen for ten years. It seemed busier.

The car pulled up in the underground garage of the KGB headquarters on Dzerzhinskiy Square. They helped her out of the car and escorted her to the third floor. She was put into a conference room. The two men nodded at her.

“Hey, can I have some water?” She asked. One turned and left the room. Ten minutes later, he brought in a glass of water. Irina sipped at it. What the hell was going on? Why was she being kept in this room? She was tired. She wanted to sleep in a real bed and soon. The trip was exhausting. Irina sat back in the chair, closed her eyes and nodded off.

It was two hours before anyone entered the room and then it was five people, three men and two women. They smiled at her.

“Welcome back, Comrade Derevko.” The one who spoke was the senior of the five. “We know you must be tired, so we ask just a few questions and then we put you in apartment for rest.”

“Spasibo,” she said. It was the first Russian word she had spoken in over ten years.

“Ah, you can speak your language again?”

Irina shook her head slightly. “I remembered that. I haven’t spoken Russian since I left. I was warned early.”

The blond woman facing her smiled, “We know, Comrade. Tell us, do you think the CIA suspected you?”

“No, Comrade,” she answered, “they never suspected until now. I am thankful you brought me home.” Irina was aware that she was on the edge of being debriefed. She yawned. “Sorry.”

“We understand, Comrade Derevko. Just a question or two more…”

However, it turned out to be four more hours before she was escorted to an apartment on the next floor and allowed to sleep.

Eunice watched Irina. She showed some slight sign of agitation. “I take it, there was more debriefing?”

“Yes, seven days…ten hours every day. Sometimes I was by myself and other times, they brought Valenko in to verify my testimony. He always did. There was no reason for me to lie. I completed every assignment and sent all the information I stole from Jack to them. I was not happy with all the questions.”

“What kind of questions?” Eunice probed, because she sensed Irina was uncomfortable talking about the debriefing.

“You know routine about what I did, where I went, about the University, about Jack and Sydney, about my assignments.”

Again, Eunice felt she was not telling everything. “There’s more, isn’t there?”

Irina sighed. “The bastards wanted to know about our sex life…in detail.” She stood again and started to pace. She gave Eunice a few of the questions they demanded answers for and how she answered.

Eunice knew the questions were probably even grosser than what Irina alluded to when she described it all. No one needed to know what happened between a husband and wife in the bedroom.

“I think the worst for me was when they wanted to know my truest feelings for Jack.”

“What did you tell them?”

Irina stopped pacing. She stood looking past Eunice without really seeing her. “I told them what I thought they wanted to hear. I told them he was a fool. He didn’t suspect me and we were married for ten years…” She took a deep breath. “I told them that with a straight face and cold voice. Inside, I was crying. My heart was nearly breaking.”

“So you lied. Did they suspect?”

Irina shook her head and returned to the sofa. “No!”

“Why did they send you to Kashmir?” Eunice glanced at the clock. “Do you want to continue or shall we wait until this afternoon. I know many of your nightmares, as you have said, come from the time you spent in Kashmir. I know you were pregnant, but how did you hide it from them?”

“Prison clothes were baggy, loose, and could hide almost everything. After two months, the doctor told the Colonel in charge of the prison that further interrogation, torture, would be dangerous to my health. I only endured heavy questioning after that. They wanted to catch me in a lie or deviation from my story. They did not succeed. I had gone over it so many times, that everything I said was always the same.” Irina glanced at her watch. “Eunice, do you mind if we continue after lunch? I have an appointment.”

“Of course not. I can use the time to think about what you have told me.” Eunice stood. “I’ll come back at two.”

Eunice knocked at the door. Irina opened it almost immediately. “Come in. Did you have lunch?”

“Yes, I found some soup and had that. Are you all right,” asked the smaller woman.

Irina sat at the left end of the sofa. Eunice took her seat in the chair close by. “I believe you were talking about your second daughter, Nadia.”

Eunice listened as Irina told how her father had come to get her earlier. He had been extremely upset considering she was pregnant. Irina told him to keep quiet. She planned to repay the many kindnesses the prison afforded her.

“Nadia! She was born soon after that?” Eunice asked.

“About a month or so later I think. The KGB had a floor at the Moscow University Hospital for their agents and families. I was brought in and due to my poor physical condition, they performed a C-section.” Irina gnawed at her right thumbnail. “I held Nadia in my arms exactly twice before they took her from me the day after I gave birth to her.”

“Why? Why did they do that?”

“It had to do with Milo Rambaldi and his prophecies. It is a terribly complicated series of events. My baby disappeared and the KGB demanded I return to my duties. They sent me to Central City to teach English. Once there, I could not leave. I learned later that the Friends of Rambaldi, a secret organization that Yelena organized, were involved. They wanted to bring his prophecies to fruition had stolen Nadia when she was six.

“Nadia was the key to learning Rambaldi’s plans for the apocalypse and she was too young to be subjected to the interrogation with a special formula that Rambaldi prepared and hid in an hourglass. The KGB had tried to duplicate the formula and use it on Nadia when she was barely six. Friends Of Rambaldi got to her before any damage was done. I might have forgiven them if I hadn’t known they only wanted to save her for themselves. Hiding her kept her safe as she grew up to adulthood. When she reached maturity, they would be ready to inflict the serum on her for the information.

“She was taken to Argentina and put into an orphanage where she grew up. Yelena was there pretending to run the Orphanage, but was watching her develop. Nadia ran away when she was fifteen and was on the streets. However, the Argentinean secret service recruited her and she became a highly skillful agent. It was Sydney, who found her—in Russia—hiding out in a Chechnyan prison camp for women.

“Sloane became involved believing he was her father. He too, wanted the information and he was in possession of the hourglass, thanks again to Sydney. He took Nadia to Japan and tried to get the information out of her subconscious. Again, however, Sydney rescued her.

“Sloane was determined though and found her in a CIA safe house and persuaded her to leave with him. She did, believing he was her father. Nadia was desperate to find her parents and he told her she was his daughter. They traveled to China in order to find what Sloane was looking for, the Sphere of Life which they recovered.

Sloane decided to give it to the CIA. He wanted immunity. Nadia decided she had enough of Rambaldi and his prophecies and went back to Argentina. Once again, Sydney located her and because the man I supposedly hired to kill her, Tomasaki, was there in Argentina. Sydney, however, got in trouble and Nadia went in to bail her out. That’s when Sydney learned I had allegedly put a hit on her. She had not believed her father when he told her earlier. Jack told me she was devastated. He knew he killed ‘me’ almost a year before this.

“According to Jack, my daughters traveled to Moscow where Sydney led her to my ‘grave’ in a mausoleum. Nadia promised she would kill whoever pulled the trigger. You can imagine Sydney’s reaction to that. I suppose Jack too was upset, because he told Nadia that certain criminal, Martin Bishop, had done the shooting. She killed him and joined Sydney at APO.

“Their relationship blossomed under Sydney’s care and love. Sydney told me most of this on our flight from the U.S. to Sovogda. I had so little time with Nadia that she is like a stranger. She is beautiful and looks so much like Mama, it hurt to look at her. I could not believe how lucky Jack and I were to have two lovely daughters.”

Irina stood and walked to the kitchen. “Now she is infected. They are trying to cure her and I can’t be there for her either.”

“You mean you have had just a few hours with Nadia since her birth?” Eunice turned to watch her draw water into the teakettle.

“Yes. I suppose I could figure exactly how long, but it certainly was minute considering the time I’ve had with Sydney. I am so grateful for the six years had with her.” Irina’s eyes were teary. “I carried my babies inside me longer than I’ve known them as adults.”

Eunice stood up and walked to Irina’s side. “I am so sorry.” She put both hands on each side of Irina’s face. “I think I would have nightmares too considering all that you have told me.”

“Thank you for caring.” Irina kissed her on both cheeks.

They moved back into the living room. As Irina sat, she asked, “Do you need more information about my sordid life?”

For a minute, there was silence as Eunice sat in the chair and looked at her ‘patient’. Then she said, “Your family, I’d like to hear more details about them: your parents and both sisters.”

“Tomorrow, then.” Irina answered. “I have business to take care of. Would you like me to have Grigor take you to G.U.M.? It is a huge department store. On the other hand, he could drive you around. He speaks better English now than he did when he was a guard in Kashmir.”

“Yes, I think I would like that.” Eunice thought it might be an interesting afternoon.

^_^

*huggles Irina* :console:

I really love the interaction between Eunice and Irina. Eunice is so sympathetic to Irina and what she's been through. :smiley:

AN: Italics represent Russian being spoken or as Grigor’s thoughts.

Part 11 – Grigor and Eunice

It was an interesting afternoon. First, Grigor insisted that he had to drive Irina to her office. He did not want her alone on the streets of Moscow. He trusted no one. Eunice told him and Irina agreed he would drive his employer to her office and then come back for the smaller woman.

A half-hour after he left with Irina, Grigor returned. Eunice Wong came out of the apartment building and he started to put her into the back seat.

“No, I want to ride up front with you.” She pointed to the passenger side.

“But…” he started to object.

“Grigor, I want to talk to you about your employer.”

The pair stood on the sidewalk and two women walked by staring at the two of them. Eunice Wong was all of five feet tall and Grigor, a massive six foot seven inches. She was blessed with thick white hair. He had lost his and now kept his skull shaved. He was a scary man to see, night or day. He opened the door for her.

He pulled his seat belt on and said, “Where do you want to go?”

“Lunch and I will pay. Take me to a restaurant with good food. It doesn’t have to be fancy.”

He looked at her, “Not very nice part of Moscow.”

“Grigor, I do not worry as long as you are with me.” She smiled tentatively.

“Da,” and he smiled back.

Thirty minutes later, they had driven through Moscow to a poorer section of the city. Grigor spoke little, paying attention to his driving. Eunice was glad because she wanted to organize her thoughts. Grigor pulled the big Mercedes up in front of a small neighborhood restaurant.

“Best borscht and good food.” He opened the door for her and helped her out.

They walked into the restaurant. All conversation stopped as those eating stared at the pair. The owner knew Grigor and hurried over.

“Grigor, my friend, you have not been around lately. Who is this woman?” He was as curious as the patrons were.

“She is doctor from America and friend of Irina.” Grigor explained. “We want booth in the back.”

“Give me a minute.” The owner hustled away.

Eunice watched with amusement as the owner hustled a pair of customers out of their booth and to a table. Obviously, Grigor was important or maybe it was because he was Irina Derevko’s bodyguard that the owner would move people so they could have the booth. It didn’t take but three minutes and he was back, leading them to the unoccupied booth. A waiter was busy cleaning the table and backed off as they approached. As soon as they sat down, conversations started up again.

“So, Grigor, I am in your hands. You order for me. Nothing too spicy either. My body cannot take it anymore.” She smiled up at him.

“Da.” He waved the waiter over and ordered in Russian. The waiter nodded and hurried away. “I order borsch and tea, is okay?”

“Perfect. Do they have water?”

“Water is not good yet to drink. I can get bottle water for you?”

“Please,” she said.

Grigor stood and waved the waiter back. Eunice smothered a smile, as he looked huge in the room. Conversation stopped again. She covered her mouth, stifling a laugh. Grigor bellowed the order to the waiter and then sat down.

“In Russia we have afternoon meal called dinner. I am having borsch, Kiev chicken, and blini.”

“What is that?” Eunice understood chicken and knew borsch was a beet and meat soup.

“Pancakes wrapped around berries.” He was sorting out the words as he spoke. “I speak English good?” He asked.

“Yes, Grigor, I understand. Irina taught you well.” Eunice smiled. “She was a very fine teacher in the United States when she was there.”

“She teach there too?” It was obvious he was not familiar with her job in America. He must have thought all she did was spy.

“At one of our biggest Universities,” answered Eunice. “She was a professor of English Literature.”

“Liter..ature?” He did not know the word.

“It means stories and novels by English writers. She was very popular.”

“Pop..ular?” Again, he stumbled over the meaning.

“She was a famous and beloved teacher by her students.”

He smiled broadly. “That was good?” It was easy to see he was very proud of his employer.

“Very.”

The waiter brought over the water and a bottle of Stolichnaya, which he set down in front of Grigor. He poured a hefty two jiggers in a glass. To Eunice, he gave a bottle of Perrier and poured a glass for her. He said something to Grigor who nodded.

“Dinner will be here in few minutes.”

Eunice sipped the water watching Grigor down the vodka in one swallow. Her eyes widened as he poured another glass. “Ummm, that’s a lot of vodka,” she murmured.

“Do not worry. I am excellent driver.”

“Oh dear,” she said, “Well, I was hoping you would tell me some stories about Irina.”

“Many stories I can tell. What do you want to hear?” He paused, pouring another glass. “You want to know Kashmir? Maybe about after she come back from Central City? I travel many places with her.”

“Not Kashmir…I want her to tell me.”

“It was terrible, Doctor. I was not there when she first come.” He looked angry, but Eunice put her hand up.

“She mentioned something about the KGB breaking up and how she came home from some place called Central City?”

“Da! I was there. She plenty better then. Look healthy. Her father bring her to Moscow for meeting.” He took a sip of the vodka this time much to Eunice’s relief.

“Meeting with whom?”

“Our leader, Mikhail Gorbachev.”

“My goodness,” she said impressed. “Why did he want to meet with her?”

“Because he want her to do something for Russia. He know that all of USSR was…ummm, break apart?” He rubbed his jaw thoughtfully.

Just then, the waiter returned with their order. Grigor took his napkin and tucked it under his chin. Eunice had just borsch in front of her, but he had a huge plate of chicken, vegetables, and potatoes as well as the borsch, which he starting eating immediately.

“Eat Doctor. We talk after.”

Eunice finished her soup at the same time as Grigor polished off the large serving of blini, which she told him, looked delicious. He grinned. “You want some?” She declined, as the waiter returned with more tea.

“Now tell me, Grigor, about Irina and Gorbachev.”

“I am not invited inside his dacha, but I just drive Irina and her father to it. After that, Irina disappear for a week. She come back and her father turn me over to her. I am now her bodyguard and driver.” He grinned. “She give me and my wife apartment in her building.”

“You’re married!”

“Sure. I have four sons and one daughter. We have big apartment now.” Grigor reached in his back pocket, took out wallet and then a picture. Eunice looked at it. It was a photo. His wife was sitting with her daughter on her lap. The other four boys stood around her with Grigor in the back. He was almost out of the picture. Two of the boys looked big enough to manhandle a large television set with one hand.

“Do all of you live in that apartment?”

Grigor laughed. Eunice swore the vodka left in the bottle jiggled. “No, no, these two,” he pointed at the two biggest, “Petr and Stephon are married and live in other apartment with families. Same building as us. Mikhail and Viktor are in school. Rina is only twelve now. They live with us.”

“Do your older boys have jobs?”

“No, they go to University. Irina pay for them.”

Eunice raised an eyebrow. She wondered how much that cost. In the U.S., it would be substantial. “That’s very generous of her.”

“What is gen-er-ous?”

“Ummm, she is big-hearted.”

“Da! She is good to my family.” He downed another shot of the vodka. Eunice noted more than half was gone.

“So tell me about what happened after the meeting?”

Grigor thought a moment. “I drive her to secret meeting in woods, north about ninety kilometers. Is cold, very cold, and begin to snow.” He began to describe the first meeting between The Man and her agents.

Irina left the black Mercedes and leaned against the fender waiting. She expected eleven people to arrive soon. Cars drove up. Men and women exited, coming toward her expectantly. She greeted each one by name. As soon as they all were present, she began.

“You have been chosen by me to do a very important job for our motherland. I am setting up a secret division of SVR, (Which was lie, Grigor said. SVR never know it.) No one will know anything about it. No one is to tell anyone anything about what he or she is doing. ALL of you will now leave our country and take over operations in the cities I assign to you.

“You who are married will pack up and move to these countries. We are going to become criminals who deal in blackmail and guns, everything. There is a lot more than what I have told you, but all of the money we steal, we give to Russia. We have some money to start up with, but by the end of the year, we must be self-sustaining.

“There is an organization in place now called The Alliance. They are into everything bad for our country: drugs, prostitution, guns, robbery, blackmail, and murder. We eventually want to destroy them, but for now, we start small, careful and secretly build. First, though, you must swear not to reveal to anyone what you are doing.” She looked at them coldly.

“If any of you give away this organization, he or she will be dealt with swiftly and without warning…by me.” Irina pulled her gun out of her pocket, turned and fired at a man standing next to her. He dropped dead at her feet. “This man was a traitor and one who did me personal harm.”

They stared at her a bit in shock at the suddenness of her action.

“Khasinau,” she said, gesturing to a tall gaunt man stand in the middle of the group facing her. “Alexander Khasinau will be my second in command. Go back to your homes and prepare to leave. I will personally give each one of you your orders and where you will go. Remember no one must know why or where you are going. To defy this order will mean instant removal from the organization. Do you agree and understand?”

“Yes!” They responded. They were all trusted former employees of the KGB. The operations directorate employed them all. She personally picked them. No one at SVR including her father knew the identities of her recruits. These people had been let go when the KGB broke up.

“Grigor,” Irina called. The big man unfolded himself from the car. “Take this piece of s*hit and hide him deep.” She kicked at the body, touching it slightly.

Without a word, the giant picked up the fallen man and disappeared shortly into the woods. It was snowing and the body would freeze. Within a short time, he’d be covered with enough snow to keep him hidden until the spring thaw.

”My goodness,” commented Eunice thoughtfully. “Who was the man she shot?”

Grigor shook his head. “She never tell me.”

“So she ran a business for her country in order to provide it with untraceable money?”

He frowned trying to think what her words meant. Then he nodded. “She is very good at business. Make lots of money all over world. She known as The Man.”

“Did you travel with her?”

“Most of time, yes.”

“Did she ever talk about her daughter and her husband?”

Grigor smiled, “Da, many times, we sit, drinking vodka and talking. She say it good way for me to learn English and make her feel better to talk about Jack and her little girl.” He looked at her. “Sometimes she drink more than she should and I put her to bed.”

“I know this is difficult, but it does help me understand her more.” Eunice put a small hand on his massive arm. “You are not being bad and I do want to know Irina Derevko better.”

“Da,” he answered.

‘Have you met her husband,” she asked.

“Da. He is good man for Irina. I think she love him still.”

“…and Sydney!”

Grigor’s eyes lighted up. “She is her mother. She is beautiful woman, not as tall, but…but,” he frowned trying to think of the right word, “softer…rounder…you understand?”

“Yes. Did Irina tell you she is going to be a grandmother?”

“No!” A huge smile crossed his face. “That is wonderful news. My wife will be so happy for her. Sydney…she is all right?”

“She’s fine.” Eunice knew all was well when she left the U.S. She sighed. “Tell the waiter I want to pay the bill.”

Grigor stood up again. All conversation stopped. He waved the waiter to the table. “What do we owe?”

The waiter told him. In rubles, it sounded astronomical. Grigor told her that $30.00 in U.S. or euros would be fine. They left the restaurant and he put her into the sedan in front.

“Where can I take you,” he said, putting himself behind the wheel.

“I want to ask you something. You said Irina killed a man in front of the first group she recruited as The Man. She certainly did not sound as if she had any remorse about killing him.”

“What is re-morse?”

“Sadness.”

“Oh no, Irina not sad.” His hands gripped the wheel. He looked at her. “Why this question?”

Eunice sighed, staring out the windshield. “She is not well…here.” She pointed to her head. “I am trying to help her and I can only do that if I know what demons she has chasing her.”

Grigor pondered her words. “I do not think any she killed were anything but s*hit heads. She run very big organization as The Man. She not want anyone cross her or do wrong with her.”

“How many,” asked Eunice almost dreading the answer?

“Three…maybe…four big bosses. They give her hard time; try to take over her business in other country. They die soon quick. She do it she say because it her responsibility.”

Eunice grimaced. The head count was going up. Still, Irina was trained by the KGB to kill. It probably came easier for her as the years passed. She felt his eyes on her and she looked up. “I’m sorry, Grigor, I was just thinking. Tell me, has she ever been sad when she killed any of these men.”

He shook his head. “They deserve it.”

“Very well, would you drive me to GUM, your department store? I would like to visit and pick up some souvenirs of your country and city.

The pair caused a mild sensation at the department store. Eunice did not believe she had seen one like it. It was huge, crowded with shoppers from everyplace and included many tourists. However, when she began to shop with Grigor standing patiently with her and translating her wishes and purchases, the clerks were in awe. There was a tiny elderly Chinese woman who spoke good English and a giant of a man who stood respectfully behind her, helping her to choose.

Other customers stopped to stare at the pair. They went everywhere: clothes, toys, souvenirs, shoes, food…and Eunice purchased. She bought hats and gloves for her son and his wife. She purchased several different toys for her three grandchildren who were still young enough to enjoy something different. She found several food items that the salesperson swore would go through customs and among those, three cans of caviar. Following behind her with her packages, came Grigor, a giant teddy bear without hair, who didn’t seem to mind helping her.

Finally, Eunice tallied up what she had spent and decided she had better stop. She did not want to pay customs for small stuff. She told Grigor she was ready to go back to the apartment. He nodded and led the way out of the store to where he left the car. Once there he deposited her packages in the rear seat, helped her inside and they drove off, as incongruous a pair that ever shopped at GUM.

Grigor helped her with the packages up to her apartment. He put the packages down on the coffee table. “Goodbye,” he said, moving to the door.

“Wait,” Eunice stepped up to him. “Bend down, please.” He did so. Eunice planted a kiss on his right cheek. “Thank you. I had a great time.”

He nodded, “I like you, Doctor. You help Irina?”

“I’ll do my best.”

He left. Eunice sat on the sofa and thought about what he had told her.

Irina Derevko was proving to be a fascinating woman…and the most dangerous she had ever encountered during her years practicing.

:eek:

Back