The Weekend

Great update! :smiley: I don't think she's dead; I will not believe it. You better make her okay... :lol:

~Julia

you cant do anything to Syd, thats too sad, im really upset for everyone now :sadangel:

i love the angst in this fic though, its the best :D

thanx for the PM

-luv Em 💘

That was great ... you just had to make me cry didnt you Janet ... soo sad poor Vaughn had to listen to it .. even tho shes not dead ... thanks for the PM ... more soon please

Oh MAN!! Janet, we are *so* totally gonna have a party in the denial bubble. There are so many people moving in. Isn't it exciting?!?!?!??!

Chapter 17
Vaughn only watched them for a moment before bolting back to the room where he had listened to his love take her final breath. His numbness continued as he watched the agents slowly continue their tasks with Weiss off to the side looking utterly lost. Vaughn walked straight up to Kendall and stared him down. “When’s the recovery team leaving?”

“Agent Vaughn, I don’t think...”

“When are they leaving?!” Vaughn repeated more loudly.

“Vaughn, man, maybe you should-” Eric began but Vaughn cut him off.

“Do you know what she said? At the end? Her last words? She was going to marry me, god damn it!! So I am going to go and I’m going to recover the body of the woman that I love and nobody is going to stop me,” he hissed as he physically trembled.

“Then I’ll go too,” Eric said quietly.

“You don’t-” Vaughn began but that time Eric cut him off.

“You shouldn’t have to do it alone.”

Half an hour later, they were in a helicopter speeding up the coastline on their way to Canada, in search of Sydney’s last known whereabouts. The CIA was able to pinpoint her coordinates, but only moments too late.

Vaughn was numb as he listened to the deafening noise of the helicopter blades. He was accompanied by Weiss and two other agents he barely knew. He wasn’t sure when it would truly hit him, but he knew it was highly likely he would barely survive seeing her in the way he would inevitably find her.

“We’re nearing the coordinates,” the pilot told him. Vaughn nodded once in response. He then leaned out of his seat slightly and looked down at the countryside passing below them. They were approaching a river. He could barely see the white, foaming rapids through the helicopters search light, but he knew it would be there.

“Fly down stream,” he told the pilot. The pilot nodded and all the agents aboard the helicopter leaned toward the windows to carry out what seem like a nearly impossible search.

For nearly twenty minutes, Vaughn strained his vision, searching for any tiny speck that wasn’t a rock, but a metal drum. They found none. “Maybe we should try again in the light,” Weiss suggested.

“No, keep looking,” Vaughn snapped, knowing that he’d find her that night even if he had to search on the ground. Then, suddenly, something on the shore caught his eye. “There!! To the left!” he shouted towards the pilot in control of the search light. The pilot moved the light back into the position Vaughn instructed and he saw her crumpled in a tiny ball along the shore. Somehow she must have escaped the drum, or it had burst against one of the jagged rocks.

His eyes burned with tears as the pilot got as close to the ground as he could with the nearby trees. A rope was lowered for Vaughn to slide down and he slowly descended. The climb down was difficult enough with the swaying rope and he knew that with Sydney’s deadweight it would be nearly impossible to ascend back to the helicopter, but he wasn’t worried about that. His only concern was returning her safely, even if it was only her body he was returning.

Once on the ground, he froze for a movement. He was about ten feet from her and could see her face clearly through the flashing light of the helicopter. Though her face was partly covered by mud and matted hair, she looked angelic, almost as though she was sleeping. Slowly, he began to approach her, each step shakier than the last.

Finally, he reached her side and knelt down to touch her face as the tears began to flow once more. He saw her necklace, the one had given her, sticking out of her collar, engrained with mud and a tiny stick. Knowing that the helicopter had a limited amount of fuel, he decided to save his grieving for the ride back, and rolled her slightly so it would be easier for him to pick her up.

For one brief, heart-soaring moment, he though he heard a strange exhale when she was moved from her side to her back. Slowly, his hand trembling, he reached his hand out to her mouth and was almost convinced he felt warm breath emanating. As quickly as he could, while slipping on the muddy embankment, he moved to her side and checked for a pulse. He found one.

As if he had gained the strength of a thousand men, he scooped her up swiftly and gestured frantically for the helicopter to return. A harness was lowered and Vaughn quickly strapped it around them both and tugged on it, signaling for them to be lifted. Once up in the helicopter, Vaughn slammed Sydney down on the floor and began stripping off her freezing, soaking wet clothing. “She’s breathing,” he said breathlessly.

“What?” Weiss gasped as he slid down to the floor and checked himself. The moment he felt her pulse, his eyes shot open wide and he began shouting instructions. “GET US TO A HOSPTIAL! NOW! We need blankets.”

“We can’t. This is a CIA helicopter,” the pilot told them.

“Then get us to a safe house,” Vaughn hissed. He wasn’t going to lose her now; he’d save her life single-handedly if he had to. “And get me Jack!”

Fifteen minutes later, Eric and Vaughn were carrying Sydney into a safe house while Vaughn was shouting into a satellite phone, giving out their location and demanding a doctor as soon as humanly possible.

“Okay... what do we do?!” Eric asked rather helplessly as they laid the blanket clad Sydney on top of the tiny safe house bed.

“She’s freezing. If we don’t warm her up she’s going to...,” he let his voice drift off at that thought. Then he began unzipping his own gear as fast as possible. Weiss, understanding what was going on, turned his back.

“What should I do?”

“Call them back every three minutes until that doctor gets here!” Vaughn instructed as he climbed underneath the covers with Sydney and rubbed her body vigorously, trying to start the blood flow once more. “Come on baby, come on,” he coaxed quietly. “Come on Syd, I need you here baby, don’t let go. Fight, Syd, fight. I’m not going to lose you,” he said quietly with his face against hers. Her skin was so cold that it terrified him. He held her close and refused to let go while he prayed that she’d be ok.

PM LIST
6helterskelter6
74Aliaschickita47
Action!Vaughn
Addicted 2 Alias
albob
alias#1
ALIAS_chick
alias_chick_47
alias_luver
Alias79
AliasBub