Their Little Princess

HA I loved how he was afraid to change her diaper!!!! :lol:
-That is the one thing I would refuse to do when I watch my little cousins..is change the diapers!!!! :D
I'm glad Syd is coming back to help him!!
-Loved it!! Thanks for the pm!!

Great update. Of course Vaughn would never make it without her. I can't wait to see what happens next. Is Sydney staying the night? That could get very interesting....Thanks for the PM!

Sorry I can't review all that much. i read it while at work so it's a bit hard. But I always love all the chaps and it keeps getting better.

AJ

Here is the new update. Hope you enjoy. Have a great day and talk to you soon. :smiley: CJ

~Part 15~

Sydney stirred and rolled over. She opened her eyes and saw that it was a little after two in the morning. She blinked as she looked at the unfamiliar room. This wasn’t her apartment and it wasn’t the hospital. Where…

Then her memory returned. She was at Michael’s house, in one of the spare bedrooms. Unlike Lea’s room, this one hadn’t been remodeled. Old fashioned wallpaper still covered the walls, contrasting with the heavy drapes on the window.

Sydney stretched and tried to figure out what had awakened her. Was it Lea? She looked at the clock again. She’d expected to be up before now to help Michael, or even take over one of the feedings. Oh well, now that she was awake, she might as well check on the baby.

Sydney threw back the covers and stood up. She’d deliberately worn sweats and a T-shirt to bed so all she had to do was fumble for her slippers and slide them on. She tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear and made her way into the hall.

The house was all shadows. Lea’s door stood open and she could see the faint light from a Disney nightlite illuminating a patch of hardwood flooring. As she stepped into the room, a slight movement caught her attention. She looked up and saw Michael standing by the window.

Sydney froze in place, staring. Michael wore boxer shorts and nothing else. He held his tiny daughter in his arms, cradling her against his bare chest and rocking her gently. Moonlight filtered through the half-open blinds, highlighting, then shading, the shape of his shoulders, the muscles in his arms, the warm color of his skin.

Deep in her stomach, something stirred to life. Some small producer of female hormones, some long dormant cells secreted a long since forgotten bit of magic that made a woman want a man. She felt the first flickering of desire, but it was more than that. Her attraction wasn’t just to the perfectly muscled body but also to the tenderness inherent in those incredibly strong hands. A woman could trust a man who held a baby with such tenderness.

She knew she hadn’t made a sound, but Michael turned toward her. “Did I wake you? He asked softly. “I tried to be quiet.”

“It wasn’t noise that got my attention, “she admitted, “but the absence of it. I came to check on Lea.”

“Great minds, “he said, “That’s what I was doing. She was awake and looked hungry, so I got her a bottle, then changed her diaper. She ate great and is already back to sleep.” He smiled.

In the semi-darkness she couldn’t see the color of his eyes, but she knew it. Emerald green. He was the kind of man women dreamed about meeting…handsome, charming, and successful. So why was he awake at two in the morning holding a child?

“Who are you Michael Vaughn?” She asked before she could stop herself.

“You mean why me, why her?” he asked, nodding at Lea. “I guess I’m just a man who wants to do the right thing. I’m terrified, but trying.”

“That’s all anyone can ask of you.”

“Oh, I think Lea is going to have more expectations than that, but I have some time before I have to worry about them.”

She’d been wrong about him. She realized that now. All those months she’d been Lauren’s doctor, listening to her patient grumble about the guy who’d knocked her up and had then insisted she have the baby, but who didn’t want responsibility for it. Sydney had been furious with both of them for being careless during sex, but she’d been more angry with Michael. It was easy for men, because they didn’t get pregnant. They just walked away from the problem. Except Michael hadn’t.

She leaned against the door frame and crossed her arms over her chest. “I was wrong about you, “she said, her voice low.” I’ve been angry at you for most of Lauren’s pregnancy. I thought you were an irresponsible bastard who’d gotten caught and wanted out. But I was wrong about all of it. I’m sorry, Michael.”

He was quiet for a long time, just staring at her in the darkness and rocking Lea.

“Thank you for apologizing, “he said at last. “That means a lot to me. But you were also right about me. Not about me being irresponsible. We used a condom, and as an obstetrician, I’m sure you’re very aware that they sometimes fail. When Lauren told me she was pregnant, I didn’t know what to think.”

He turned his back to the window. As if he was embarrassed or ashamed of what he was saying. She wanted to go to him and touch him, tell him that she understood. But they didn’t know each other that well. Instead, she stood her ground and waited.

“The entire relationship was a mistake. In fact calling it a relationship gives it more credit than it deserves. It was the Fourth of July weekend. We met at a party. I hadn’t had a woman in my life for a long time. It was hot, we were both in the mood, and …well, you know the rest. I knew it was dumb even then, but what the hell, right?”

He glanced down at his daughter. “ Sorry, sweetie, I know I’m not supposed to swear.”

“You don’t have to tell me this.”

“Probably not, but I think it’s important information.” He walked over to the crib and set Lea down on her back.

“We said good-bye and I never expected to see her again. About two months later she called to tell me she was pregnant. Apparently she’d been debating whether or not to inform me for a couple of weeks. I think her plan had been to go get an abortion and get on with her life.

Sydney thought about Lauren and realized Michael had summed up the other woman fairly accurately. Lauren had not been thrilled to be pregnant.

“I didn’t want her to do that, “he said. “I didn’t want the kid, either, but I wanted her to carry it to term. “He leaned over and stroked his daughter’s cheek. “I promised to cover all the medical expenses in exchange for us to give the baby for adoption.”

He glanced at Sydney. In the dimly lit room, it was impossible to see what he was thinking.

“I swear that’s what I planned to do. Right up until the day she was born. Then something happened. I guess she went from being and abstraction to something real. And I couldn’t walk away from that…or her.”

Sydney dropped her arms to her sides. “I feel responsible for a part of that, “she said. “If I hadn’t let you hold her, you wouldn’t have bonded.”

He smiled. “I don’t think so. While it would be really nice to be able to blame you, it’s not your fault. If I hadn’t wanted Lea, all the holding in the world wouldn’t have changed my mind.”

Sydney wasn’t so sure. “Something happens when a parent holds his or her daughter for the first time.”

“Do you think holding her would have changed Lauren’s mind?”

“No, I don’t, “she admitted.

“I need to ask you something.” He said, suddenly looking at her.

“Sure. What is it?”

“I’ve been thinking how my life has changed in the last few days and I have mostly you to thank for that. You probably think you were just doing your job, but trust me when I say that you’ve changed my life for the better. You believed in me when I wasn’t so sure I was doing the right thing. I would really like for you to be Lea’s godmother. And I decided that Lea’s middle name should be Sydney in honor of the amazing woman who brought my daughter to me. What do you say? Want to be Lea‘s godmother?”

Sydney stood there, holding her breath as emotions spilled over her eyes. She took a deep breath, lifted her head to look at him and smiled. “ I would love to. And I‘m honored that you gave my name to Lea.”

“No. Thank you.” He said, smiling back at her.

Somewhere in the house a clock chimed.

“It’s late, “Michael told her. “We’d better get to bed and get some sleep while we can. I have a feeling this little girl is going to be up a couple more time before sunrise.

“You’re right.”

She turned to leave. At least that was her intent, but somehow her gaze got locked with his. She told herself to look away, to start walking back to her room, but she couldn’t move. Her legs were too heavy and those suddenly awake hormones were busy swaying through her body, leaving her weak and wanting.

As she watched, his attention seemed to drift downward…toward her mouth. She told herself it was her imagination. That he wasn’t thinking about kissing her anymore than she was thinking about being in his arms. That she didn’t wonder about how strong he would feel, or the warmth of his bare skin under her fingers. And that she’d never even once fantasized about the firmness of his lips or how his tongue would taste.

Then, because her thoughts both frightened and excited her, she turned on her heel and escaped.

TBC

Damn that was quite the chapter!!!!!!!!! Didn't expect any of this!!! :confused:

Vaughn pretty surprised me with the
Want to be Lea‘s godmother?”

I was like : :woot:
holyfreakingcow
... :angelic:

:P Amazing... it's the first time I read that kind of plot line... Vaughn usually has already a daughter or a son (you know grown or whatever...) but this new theory of him getting to learn all of that stuff and Sydney helping him with it, is just great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously I'll have to promote this fic on my next update :angelic:

:hug: your cookie

Aww her middle name is Sydney...that's soo sweet!!!!! And I'm glad she agreed to be Lea's godmother!!!
-Why did she walk away....she should've just stayed to see what would've happened!!!
Great update!! Loved it!!!

CJ the last two chapters were awesome. I was in awe when he asked Sydney to be Lea's godmother AND on top of that add Sydney to her middle name, Lea Sydney Vaughn. Perfect. Can't wait for the next update.

-erin :smiley:

That was cute... He asked Syd to be her god mother, which won't matter in a little while, as Syd will soon be her mother!!! :smiley: HINT HINT :smiley: Awesome update, and the middle name thing was awesome... Can't wait for the next chapter

Hello?? Sarkattack are you out there??!! :smiley: Time for an update... We miss this story... BLAST off to SD-1 to read a few more chapters, in withdrawl right now!! :smiley:

Hello?? Sarkattack are you out there??!! :smiley: Time for an update... We miss this story... BLAST off to SD-1 to read a few more chapters, in withdrawl right now!! :smiley:

Due to the lack of interest of the people of this site, I've decided not to update here anymore. So if you want to read the rest of the story and the future stories that I plan on posting, go to SD-1.

Thanks to the few people who reviewed and hope to hear from you back at SD-1.

:bye:

CJ

Back