Politics This really is very very bad

dangerous_agent said:
the americans have sent troops in? Great.......bloody hell....they could think of more productive ways...those bloody troops will do :censored: all. I mean, how about raising money instead of sending trained soldiers into the region would that not make more sense?
How much have the americans raised so far? Is it as much a £100 million that the British have raised? We're a pretty tiny country but at the moment I think we've raised more than America. What the affected people need at the moment is money for water, medical care, homes etc. not bloody troops.
Just wait.....give it a month and I bet George Bush will be claiming he's found weapons of mass destruction and will declare war. stupid [Removed!]......hmm that got that out of my system....mildly.
In my next school if I do politics I get to go to Washington........and I'm taking a sniper rifle and aiming it at George Bush's head...then running the hell away. lol.  :angelic:
[post="1149748"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
oh, please, come on. the troops are there to help keep peace and distribute aid. that's the way it always works in these kind of tragedies. and i'd appreciate it if you'd show a little respect for them. many organizations are giving water, medical care, and food to the region, but you need an organized system to distribute it without disintegrating into violence. soldiers fill that role. it's not like we've sent thousands either. i hope that wasn't the impression. the American government has also sent aircraft, helicopters, and medical teams to distribute aid.

First of all, th UK hasn't raised $100 million dollars. it has promised to give $100 million, which is still great, but it's different than actually raising the money. Americans are raising money for this tragedy. in fact, i was listening to BBC Radio and they were saying that Americans have given a lot of money in the private sector because of the American tradition and mindset of letting private charities handle these things. Bush has asked his father as well as President Clinton to spearhead fundraising efforts for the Tsunami relief. The American government, itself, has pledged $376 million dollars in aid to the region.

here's a BBC article about American efforts in the region: BBC NEWS | Asia-Pacific | An opportunity but no guarantee

and here's a Department of Defense press release about military aid to the region: http://www.defenselink.mil/releases/2004/n...41228-1905.html

I want to put a note of caution here, dangerous_agent.

Making threats like this can get you into pretty big trouble.
Recently someone made a similiar comment in her online journal and got reported.
She then had secret service men show up at her door.

So just watch what you say.

The British are sending Troops to the region, this is to help distribute aid and also , don't forget the Forces have big machinery like Bulldozers ect which will make the clean up go a lot smoother and quicker. They also have the expertise in rebuilding roads and bridges. Remember these troops will not be armed, they will be there on a disaster releif and re-building mission. These people need this kind of help desperatly.

On a seperate note did anybody read about the conferance that the British and US attended on scrapping the debt to those countries that are effected.

well in all honesty, i think troops will be put to much better use helping out the countries devastated by the tsunamis then fighting a stupid war.
they dont need to keep the peace, they are there to help save as many lives as possible.
and isnt that what we all want. if the troops can save at least one live and combat the massive death toll , then it is worth it.

dangerous_agent said:
[REMOVED]
[post="1149748"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
I would seriously NOT say that

Right now I believe the Canadian government has pledged $80 million dollars. all provinical government pledged $18.5 million in total. Private donations is currently about $65 million which I believe the Canadian government will double.

It's really a tragedy, and it's nice to see everyone trying to help. My school alone is probably gonna hit about $2000. ;)
--Mandy :angelic:

so i'm not jingoistic! i was not saying that america was being callous in any way, i just said that if the troops can help, let them

that wasnt directed towards you mystery chick

Sex-Dwarf said:
The British are sending Troops to the region, this is to help distribute aid and also , don't forget the Forces have big machinery like Bulldozers ect  which will make the clean up go a lot smoother and quicker. They also have the expertise in rebuilding roads and bridges. Remember these troops will not be armed, they will be there on a disaster releif and re-building mission. These people need this kind of help desperatly.
On a seperate note did anybody read about the conferance that the British and US attended on scrapping the debt to those countries that are effected.
[post="1149808"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
i did read that. i think the idea is that rich countries put a moratorium on the debt. the affected countries still have to pay off the debt, but they can just put it on hold for a few years. the worry, though, is that they will have to pay it back in larger increments once the payments start again.

AliasHombre said:
No one has the right to call America or anyone in America cheap or selfish or stingy.
[post="1150370"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
of course they do. sometimes, America is stingy, and sometimes people in America are stingy. not to mention the fact that people have the right to say whatever they want to say.

xdancer said:
i did read that.  i think the idea is that rich countries put a moratorium on the debt.  the affected countries still have to pay off the debt, but they can just put it on hold for a few years.  the worry, though, is that they will have to pay it back in larger increments once the payments start again.
of course they do.  sometimes, America is stingy, and sometimes people in America are stingy.  not to mention the fact that people have the right to say whatever they want to say.
[post="1152198"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
How is America stingy?

urm wat exactly are you going to get out of calling people stingy! thats not the point! you should be helping the indonisians and donating money and atleast america IS giving money some places aren't even doing that! i can tell you that i'm not a great fan of america but i mean like come on, it's beeter to give something rather than nothin!

cinders said:
well in all honesty, i think troops will be put to much better use helping out the countries devastated by the tsunamis then fighting a stupid war.
they dont need to keep the peace, they are there to help save as many lives as possible.
and isnt that what we all want. if the troops can save at least one live and combat the massive death toll , then it is worth it.
[post="1150058"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

right on cinders...
MC

please guys try and stay on topic with this thread - this is not a competition about who has sent in the most money. the tsnami was a disaster - one of the worst we will ever see in our lifetimes. People all over the world are doing all they cane to help. Please lets not fall out about this - we shoudl just be being sympathetic to those involved in the disaster. -_-

I agree with Jems.

You people digust me, making this an anti-Bush fest when what you should be doing is thinking of ways you can help the people out there who are desperately in need of it!

AliasHombre said:
No one has the right to call America or anyone in America cheap or selfish or stingy.
[post="1150370"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Yes, they do have that right. Regardless of its validity, they still have the right to say it.

my school raised a little over $20,000 for 9/11. (those zeros are correct) i wonder how much we'll raise for this cause. I always put my share in--are alot of your schools/ places of work doing something? just wondering . . .

One girl at school is missing in Thailand and some people I know are hurt but alive.. This is terrible.. But the swedes have something to come home to.. many people haven't They don't have a house, a job or food.. I think we should all give something to help.. everything matters..
A classmate from the past was murdered(!) a couple of days ago.. Before this I never really understood how fragile your life is.. we should really take care of eachother and do the best we can of our lives..

/Bella

First of all, th UK hasn't raised $100 million dollars. it has promised to give $100 million, which is still great, but it's different than actually raising the money.
[/quote]

oh come on, I'm b***dy english, i've been watching this on the news for weeks and I know for a fact that the British public (ROCK ON) have raised £100 million. I KNOW THAT. It's been on the news for ages, and the British government have promised to match that money donated by the public. :angry:

mystery_chick said:
I would seriously NOT say that

Right now I believe the Canadian government has pledged $80 million dollars. all provinical government pledged $18.5 million in total. Private donations is currently about $65 million which I believe the Canadian government will double.

It's really a tragedy, and it's nice to see everyone trying to help. My school alone is probably gonna hit about $2000. ;)
--Mandy :angelic:
[post="1150507"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I never said anything about Canada. good for Canada, and good for your school.....but I swear i never said anything about canada cos I have nothing against canada.....unless they have some secret thing going on... :D

Kewii said:
I want to put a note of caution here, dangerous_agent.

Making threats like this can get you into pretty big trouble.
Recently someone made a similiar comment in her online journal and got reported.
She then had secret service men show up at her door.

So just watch what you say.
[post="1149776"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

ok, very sorry for like....three post in a row but I've only read a bunch of people's posts.
First off, I'm sorry if I offended anyone when I said what I said, I was just angry and upset because my grampa died when I wrote that.....I know that's really not an excuse but I hope you can all forgive me.
Secondly, OMG, haha, I don't want some random secret service person showing up....although....technically in my post I didn't actually say I would shoot him, just that I would aim a gun...haha. There ya go....phew! :blush:

Anyway, what I wanted to say was that i'm sorry for that post. I've realised that we should all be concentrating on just helping the people affected because even though its been weeks since the disaster......there's still a lot to do and money is still required.
GET TO THE FUNDRAISING! lol.

Anyway.....bye. :D

Back