Space Trump admin considering privatizing International Space Station

Robby

Helper Bot
Trump admin considering privatizing International Space Station
(Article by Mark Moore at The New York Post)

021118-space-feature.jpg

The final real estate frontier — space. The Trump administration is proposing ending federal financing of the International Space Station to allow private industry to take over funding the orbiting laboratory, according to the Washington Post. After a transition period, the government would end direct support after 2024, the newspaper said, citing NASA documents. “The...

(More at NYPost.com)

Sure, let's spend a few billion on a space program and then hand it over to a commercial entity. I'm sure Trump just so happens to know somebody he has in mind to give control to. :banghead:

I remember reading how the space program was start-up endeavor initially.
I remember reading how it was always intended to be a private enterprise.
This is long before Trump.
"Space" is supposed to be private business.
NASA is a science foundation. It establishes the scientific background to allow private enterprise to take over.
Tourism, mining and manufacturing was always intended to be privatized.

There will still be a scientific reason for space. Testing out new methods and inventions that will eventually be turned over to the private sector.
I see the privatizing of the ISS as a next logical step to space.
Its a stepping stone established that will work as a foundation to the real space business.
Government activity is limited, who knows which direction private business will take space?
I think the concept is exciting.

There is a reason why the "I" in ISS stands for "International". ;) As the articles point out, having the US step away from the international agreements with the various governments that make up the ISS in favor of a commercial entity would not only be a financial mess but likely not doable with the existing agreements.

If a private company wants to start their own station, hey, more power to them... somebody like Musk with SpaceX or Bezos with Blue Origin would be perfect candidates but stepping away from hundreds of billions of dollars of investment in the ISS with international partners would be a fiasco both financially & politically.

I didn't read the article.
I do agree with you about honoring existing agreements.
However, if Musk or Bezos wants to take over the governments agreement responsibility I think that would be feasible. Like a corporate buy-out. As long as the other "I" entities have no problem, I don't see why it can't be done?

As long as the other "I" entities have no problem, I don't see why it can't be done?
With enough time & money I'm sure it could be done but I think for true innovation to happen then a commercial entity would need to be in complete control of the station. Just imagine Musk wanting to do something radical from the "established" way of thinking but having to deal with a conglomerate of foreign governments to get approval first. Now if SpaceX had their own station they would be free to try out new ideas at their own expense as fast as they want.

It is kind of like what is going on with NASA at the moment... you have the established 'old guard' that is still going forward while at the same time private companies are willing to try new things because they have no limitations on their budgets or operating restrictions. Well, OK, they do have operating restrictions since it is a regulated industry but their restrictions are not necessarily the same as what a government organization like NASA is & isn't allowed to do.

I agree with what you are saying. Don't get me wrong.
Lets just say SpaceX buys out NASA's interest in the ISS.
They go along with the 'order' of business for the time being.
Then, another private entity buys out the ESA's Interest in the ISS.
Then a series of private buyouts removes the government interests of the station completely.
(There is also the possibility that one entity could buy out all the government interests completely.
Similar to the S. R. Hadden scenario in the film Contact (1997). Individuals do have enough money to buyout the station.)

Now we have a bunch of different private entities 'owning' a conglomerated station.
They agree to use the station as a platform for constructing their own facilities in space.
They pool their knowledge and resources like a Type 1 civilization would.
The ISS becomes the centralized hub much like a United Nations but a United Business instead.
The concept may be too 'mature' for our current business world. Businesses still operate on the Mine, Mine, Mine pretense of profit over benefit. Perhaps this would change us from individual profit seekers to united species benefit seekers.

This frees up resources for government sponsored projects like manned missions to Mars, research missions to various moons and other space bodies. The ISS is still a vital part of that scientific expansion but instead of governments needing to maintain the station, they become paying customers. The widgets get fixed by the owners, not the customers.

I'm sure its all a lot more complicated. People have a knack for making simple ideas complicated.
What I see tho, is a stagnated space expansion if privatization does not gain a foundation in space quickly.
The "I" already greatly restricts the possibilities of the ISS. There are a lot more restrictions for a national interest than a private one. The first is accountable to en entire nation while the other is accountable to a smaller group of shareholders.
I'm sure, given this announcement, there are lawyers working on the legal aspects. Everything Trump does is inspected with high scrutiny. I'm sure there will be agreement and disagreement and a huge turmoil over it all.

Personally, I see privatization of the ISS as inevitable. I see it as a good thing in a type 1 civilization kind of way. I see it as a unity of the people of the planet Earth that will put new interest and money into space exploration. In a science fiction mindset, it opens many new possibilities for our future.

I don't have vested interest no matter the outcome. My taxes are not within my power to dictate. I will not lose anything by the ISS going private. I do, however, believe I stand to gain much in the sense of progressing towards the next step in space.

Trump admin considering privatizing International Space Station
(Article by Mark Moore at The New York Post)

021118-space-feature.jpg

The final real estate frontier — space. The Trump administration is proposing ending federal financing of the International Space Station to allow private industry to take over funding the orbiting laboratory, according to the Washington Post. After a transition period, the government would end direct support after 2024, the newspaper said, citing NASA documents. “The...

(More at NYPost.com)
Cool, works for me.....

Back