Politics "Under God"

Yeha but people have switched what "seperation of church and state " was supposed to be. It was made into a law or whatever because they didn't want the government to make them worship one God. It wasn't ment to keep absolutly everything that has to do with God outside of political affairs. Well that was my thought. I mean in some cases the government should step in and some not. peace outtie.

~Dark One~

i say that we remove religion from state. however, i still think that we should use religious morals to influence our decisions both domestically and internationally, but having any association between God and the US is a disgrace to Christianity. how can Americans say that we are a Christian country with all the unChristian activities we partake in?

Dumbledore said:
I'm a Christian so I don't think there's anything wrong with having the phrase "under God"in the pledge of allegiance. I think that and having "in God we trust" on our money is more like a motto than proclaiming a belief in a deity.  The Constitution doesn't actually have the phrase "seperation of church and state".  The First Amendment says that Congress can't create a national religion, and that the governemnt can't restrict people worshiping how they want to.  The phrase "under God" has been in the pledge of allegiance for decades so why are people complaing about it now after all this time of it being in there.
However, it wasn't there originally. We added it, we can just as easily taken away. Anyways, legacy is no reason to keep a policy. That same statement, "It’s been going on for decades" could have been used to justify the continuation of slavery, segregation, oppression of women, oppression of gays, oppression of Jews, oppression of Muslims, war, and hate in general.

gurlygirl_89 said:
Yeha but people have switched what "seperation of church and state " was supposed to be. It was made into a law or whatever because they didn't want the government to make them worship one God. It wasn't ment to keep absolutly everything that has to do with God outside of political affairs. Well that was my thought. I mean in some cases the government should step in and some not. peace outtie.

~Dark One~
Yes, they didn’t want the government endorsing religions.

By saying “under God”, the government is endorsing religions even if it is the majority of religions (those that believe in gods [instead of forces in general] and are monotheistic), that excludes some religions and is thus endorsing a set of religions.

You know, it's such a huge controversy. Personally i dont say it. Dont get me wrong, i love America, i am a patriot. I cired like a baby on September 11th and i still do whenever i hear or see pictures from it. Heck, i still light candles every year on that day and put them in front of my house. Anyway, back on topic, I dont think you need to say a pledge to love your country or god, or whatever higher power you beleive in if you do. I love to think there is someone looking out for me up there in those pearly white clouds, and yes, i do belive in god. I dont go to church, heck i dont say my prayers every night either, unless i'm going through a bad time. In school they make us stand up and they'd like us to say it but i don't. I think it is wrong for people of other religons being pushed to say it. It's your own choice, the government shouldn't make you do it, it's freedom.

I believe everyone has the personal choice of either saying it or not. But I believe we should keep it in the pledge. Its been in our pledge for how long? and its been fine with everyone This country was partly made for religious reasons! and the wholebit about its unconsitutional? How? there is nothing stated directly in the consitution about separation of church and state. Also I can't stand when people dont stand for the pledge if its against your religion to say it at leastr have the respect to stand for it!

~KM

Well if you say that we shouldn't keep it jsut becasue of it legacy then i guess we can do away with The Declation of Indpendence and let's the Bill of rights the Ammendments and such. I mean jsut because they were written by our forefather doesn't mean we have to keep it's legacy around. That exactly what your saying when you say that Under God should be taked out. Why should we discount what a person put into the Pledge which was approved by the then government. I mean so was all those other things i emntion so why not do away with them? Because we need them. We don't neccarly need Under God in our pledge but we have it on our money....Americans think that their all good and some who aren't christions even claim God so why should it be such a big deal if it in there or not? It's not a big deal. It should stay. It's not doing any harn just like the ten commandments and prayer weren't doing any harm when they outlawed them in schools.

Dark One

it should be taken out for all the reasons we've discussed over and over. the original writer didn't want it in the pledge. "Under God" wasn't added in to the pledge until the 50's when the government was paranoid about the godless communists taking over the country. it violates the principle of separation of church and state. and since you've brought up the bill of rights, you might want to read the first which gives citizens freedom of religion, and that includes a lack of it as well.

Did yo unot read my pots correctly? Your wanting to take it out just because it wasn't in there to begin wiht. But like i said so what? It it that bbig of a deal? I don't see why it shouldn't stay. If the government saw fit to put it in there it should stay!!! And what about the Christians rights? What if WE want it in there? Huh? I seriously hope yo udon't think that unbelievers opinions are the only ones that matter. And aren't you violating freedom of religion we you people railing on Bush for being a Christion? that's a contradiction right there.

~Dark One~

And what about the Christians rights? What if WE want it in there?

LMAO!

What about that Satanists rights? what about the Scientologists right? Maybe they want something of theirs etched into government related things.

If you give Christian's rights than you have to give all religious beliefs the same, equal benefits.

That means that if I started my own religion tomorow, and proved that I am serious about it........than I than should have my scriptures hung over peoples heads?

Come'on people! It's 2003 here.........if you want to believe in something than do it without rubbing it into others daily lives.

~~Spongy!

yes girlygurl, i did read your posts. let me give you a hypothetical situation. say you woke up tomorrow and the majority of Americans were Muslims and say the government decided to replace "under God" in the pledge with "under Allah." how would you feel about that?

yes girlygurl, i did read your posts. let me give you a hypothetical situation. say you woke up tomorrow and the majority of Americans were Muslims and say the government decided to replace "under God" in the pledge with "under Allah." how would you feel about that?
very nice example. :smiley:
Did yo unot read my pots correctly? Your wanting to take it out just because it wasn't in there to begin wiht. But like i said so what? It it that bbig of a deal? I don't see why it shouldn't stay. If the government saw fit to put it in there it should stay!!! And what about the Christians rights? What if WE want it in there? Huh? I seriously hope yo udon't think that unbelievers opinions are the only ones that matter. And aren't you violating freedom of religion we you people railing on Bush for being a Christion? that's a contradiction right there.
This country was founded with the belief in mind that whoever's little club was winning, like your Christian club, that they wouldn't have a right to plaster their god's name all over every body elses stuff. If you have something that belongs to just Christians feel free to put Gods name on it. But if you have something that belongs to all Americans I'm afraid you should have to leave it be.

personally if they did that i probably wouldn't care. I would accept it because i know on my opinion alnoe I couldn't change anything. Oh and Allah is Greek means butt. I really hope they wouldn't pu tthat on our money. think about it. it for the other comment it's not out "little club" it was what this nation was founded on and i believe the forefathers would have a fit if they saw the way some americansare behaving today and how they are taking thier laws and such and twisting them around from what they were ment for in the first place. I agree with an earlier post. I see not problem with it but you ppl wanna have ur cake and eat it too. if ur gonna ban children who go to public school's right to have the ten commandments and to pray then i say full steam ahead go ahead and take it off cuz their jsut contradicting themseleves. I see no problem with it on there.

"Allah" does not come from the greek. i believe it means "love" in Arabic, and i'd certainly like that on my money. and about our founding fathers, they weren't perfect. i certainly don't want to live in the exact country that they envisioned. Benjamin Franklin, for example, believed in preserving a nation of what he called, "the Lovely White." other founding fathers, like Alexander Hamilton wanted a permanent ruling class. so, i like to think that we are improving the nation, by not really going by exactly what the founding fathers wanted. and yes, gurlygirl, your opinion can change things. that's what living in a democratic republic is all about.

Edit: uh, i was wrong, it doesn't meen love, but does mean God in Arabic, and also, interestingly enough in Aramaic. That means, it's probably the term that Jesus Christ used to mean God, since Jews spoke Aramaic in his time.

personally if they did that i probably wouldn't care. I would accept it because i know on my opinion alnoe I couldn't change anything. Oh and Allah is Greek means butt. I really hope they wouldn't pu tthat on our money. think about it. it for the other comment it's not out "little club" it was what this nation was founded on and i believe the forefathers would have a fit if they saw the way some americansare behaving today and how they are taking thier laws and such and twisting them around from what they were ment for in the first place. I agree with an earlier post. I see not problem with it but you ppl wanna have ur cake and eat it too. if ur gonna ban children who go to public school's right to have the ten commandments and to pray then i say full steam ahead go ahead and take it off cuz their jsut contradicting themseleves. I see no problem with it on there.
You can call Christianity whatever you like but it started as a cult and is nothing more today than a club. So get over it. Nothing more. Nothing less. No special powers. No ties to anything anybody else can't have. There's absolutely nothing about it that makes it anything more than a club with an open membership. And Christians aren't getting anything anybody else isn't already getting either so forget about that one too. and Girlygurl in swahili means stinkyanus.

i think it's a little extreme to call christianity a club, or even say it started as a cult. it's a religion, which should be respected, just as any other religion should be.

SpongeBobSquarePants said:
And what about the Christians rights? What if WE want it in there?

LMAO!

What about that Satanists rights? what about the Scientologists right? Maybe they want something of theirs etched into government related things.

If you give Christian's rights than you have to give all religious beliefs the same, equal benefits.

That means that if I started my own religion tomorow, and proved that I am serious about it........than I than should have my scriptures hung over peoples heads?

Come'on people! It's 2003 here.........if you want to believe in something than do it without rubbing it into others daily lives.

~~Spongy!
Seriously I mean sure maybe Christians want it but what about all the other religions in the US that people practice?

I pledge allegiance to the Devil... :P

think it's a little extreme to call christianity a club, or even say it started as a cult. it's a religion, which should be respected, just as any other religion should be.
You shouldn't give "cult" a bad rap. If you knew the definition you would realize that most religions start out as cults. It's once they get established with a following and become mainstream that they are considered a religion. And if I choose to call a religion a club that is really my choice and just a matter of semantics. What is a club after all? Christianity is not even the most popular club. It comes in number 2 in membership behind the muslims. Can anybody tell me why religion should not be considered a club?

Back