Politics "Under God"

"cult" has a negative connotation in my mind, as well as in many others, i'm sure, especially those that are christians. and a club is something you're a member of in the social arena, usually just to be a member, to me. to belong to a religion means you have a spiritual dedication to that belief structure and/or that deity or deities.

I don't know if anyone has wrote anything similar to this (I would check, but I am on my REALLY SLOW computer)- but I think we keep the word "under God" to carry on tradition. When this nation was being fought for, there weren't many atheists or just plain god-haters . Most Patriots, like Patrick Henry and Thomas Jefferson believed that freedom is our god-given right-- and that fueled the start of a revolution, leaving us free from the oppressive British. When God is said in the pledge, I think of it as a commemoration for all the people that fought and were killed during our fight for freedom. The freedom we obtained even allows us to have fleixble beliefs (i.e. not believing God) without any punishments-- therefore it kinda seems contrary to the cause-- but it's not, it gave us the choice to believe or not.

i don't understand how saying "under God" has anything to do with the people who fought for freedom. and while we're on the subject, who says we had freedom then or even truly have freedom now? oh, sorry, i'm probably getting off topic... But anyway, i still don't get how God has to do with freedom.

cult" has a negative connotation in my mind, as well as in many others, i'm sure, especially those that are christians. and a club is something you're a member of in the social arena, usually just to be a member, to me. to belong to a religion means you have a spiritual dedication to that belief structure and/or that deity or deities.
That's some seriously weak s***. You think people don't have serious reasons for joining clubs?Have you ever heard of the Free Masons? You think church's aren't joined for social reasons? And you have a negative connotation of the word cult because you're gullible and you let the media make up your mind for you. Look up the Dennotation of the word cult.def :system of religous beliefs and rituals.. They're all cults or start that way. When a cult gains a certain number of members the def changes. Maybe now you'll learn not to judge a book by it's cover?Did yo unot read my pots correctly? Your wanting to take it out just because it wasn't in there to begin wiht. But like i said so what? It it that bbig of a deal? I don't see why it shouldn't stay. If the government saw fit to put it in there it should stay!!! And what about the Christians rights? What if WE want it in there? Huh? I seriously hope yo udon't think that unbelievers opinions are the only ones that matter. And aren't you violating freedom of religion we you people railing on Bush for being a Christion? that's a contradiction right there.

Yeah, I read your POTS. I read your POTS AND YOUR PANS. You need to learn to spell and quit going on rampages. How you keep from gettiing any points deducted is beyond me. You must be performing fellatio on the administrators you crazy b****!!

hi there Justintheroux. well, i wasn't talking about the denotation, i was talking about the connotation. it had nothing to do with the media. and yes, i've heard of the Free Masons. as a matter of fact, i was a member of the Rainbow Girls for a while, which is affiliated with the Free Masons. and, i was simply stating my opinion, not a fact, so if you found it weak, frankly, that's your problem. and i didn't make that comment you were referring to, but even if i did, that would be my right, so i'd appreciate if you'd refrain from calling me or any other person an ugly name.

Christianity didn't start as a cult and is not a cult. How can you dicount the testimonies of over five hundred thousand people seeing Christ after he had risen from the dead as invaild? How can you dicount all the things he fulfilled in his lifetime? It's no cult. It never was never will be. you don't have to drink poison to be a christian. you don't have to have snakes crawling all over you to be saved. Oh yeah and i took 3 years of Greek so i think i know what im talking about when i say Allah means butt. I said greek not Hebrew or whatever it was you said. Oh and since you think ur right hten the words are still ok. you said allah means God and it means love so what's the point of changing it? that's right there is not point!

ditto here.
you may hate what i say think it's stupid but that's no reason to be throwing names around. Me a crazy? Who's the one throwing around *****? HUH? OH NOT ME!! yeah the reason i still got all my points is cuz i don't insult people maybe you should try it sometime. This shows you have no respect for women and i think you should be thrown outta here. I mean is that the best you can do it insult a women? Get real insulting a women shows us all how much less of a man then you are.

um, yeah, well, i "think" i'm right, because i did research on what the term Allah means, and since it comes from the Arabic, since that's what many Muslims speak, i think it's insignificant what it means in greek.

um, yeah, well, i "think" i'm right, because i did research on what the term Allah means, and since it comes from the Arabic, since that's what many Muslims speak, i think it's insignificant what it means in greek.

I agree and I don't think she's right anyway.
I looked all through a greek to english dictionary and there was no Allah - Butt. They had alot of words for butt but Allah was not one of them.= âáñÝëé, âõôßï, óôü÷ïò, ðåñßãåëïò, Üêñç, óõíäÝù, óõíáñìïëïãþ, óôçñßæù
bareli, bytio, stochos, perigelos, akri, syndeo, synarmologo, stirizo
all of the greek words for butt. I don't see Allah in there do you?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually, in pre-Islamic times, Allah was the name of the chief moon god of Mecca's Quarish tribe. When Mohammed began Islam, he adopted the name of Allah to help convert the existing pagans of his day, so he merely borrowed what was already culturally acceptable and established in the region. Hence the tie-in with local pantheon of tribal deities, the kissing of the black stone (the kaaba), and the public "stoning" of Satan (symbolized in another hunk of stone). These carryovers exist in Islam today.

Cudgel

now let's be logical here.......Why would they put that in there? That would totally make no sense. I only reason i said anything was cuz i thought it was funny. And that it's true. Let's see i have four years of greek and four years of Latin. Don't you think i know just a LITTLE more about english words and their Latin and Greek meanings. i mean we got most of OUR words from Latin and Greaak derivitives and words.

gurlygirl, could you please use a little less pronouns and a little more specifics? i can't understand the question. i'm assuming you're asking why they (the US government) would put "under Allah" in the pledge. and you're right, they wouldn't. i was simply giving you a hypothetical situation, and trying to show that it's always easier to accept religious references in the government when you practice that religion. and look, quite honestly, i don't really care if you had four years of latin or greek. that's completely irrelevant to the debate.

yeah it doesn fit in with this debate cuz you all are tyring to prove me wrong when in fact i have more experiance then you therefore i would know all the possible translations for that word

well, excuse me, but i can't take someone's word for something that i've seen no evidence to support. however, back on topic...under God in the pledge...

yeah it doesn fit in with this debate cuz you all are tyring to prove me wrong when in fact i have more experiance then you therefore i would know all the possible translations for that word
This is not a flame but just a fact in that I've yet to see you master the English language much less Greek and Latin. I would suggest you stick to one thing at a time.

In Canada, our national anthemn has the line "God keep our land", which we have to sing every morning, and its the same kind of deal. I don't think people of different beliefs and non-beliefs should have to sing or pledge to beliefs held by one religion, even if its a majority.

The fact is number one i have a broken wrist and number two i'm not gonna take the time to make sure everything is caps, punctuated, spelled right, and so on. Because frankly this isn't a test it's not somthing i really care enough to do a good job. Two i don't have to have the english language mastered to have greek and latin mastered. in fact you should take latin first because it will help you better understand the english language. oh and for the other ppl who disagreed wit me about the many translations of "Allah" I'll have you know i've asked two Christian latin and greek professers and two non-christain and they both said the same thing. One of the translations in the greek was butt.

Yeah, but Latin is a dead langugage. I'd much rather learn French, or Spanish, or Dutch so that when I travelled somewhere I could communicate with someone. (offtopic)
What it means in greek matters not, Allah to those who believe in him does not mean butt. I think we should forget this little detour, and continue with the main issue. I don't have to recite any pledge, but We have to sing the national anthemn in a public school, and it mentions god, and I really don't think religion should have any place in a high school where you don't have to be religous. If I wanted religion to be part of my education, I would have gone to the Catholic school. But I can put up with it since its just one word, and I never actually sing the anthemn anyway, but it bothers me, and maybe I'd actually sing the anthemn and take pride in it if they changed a few lines around. If they took "God" out and also changed "In all our son's command", to something a little less sexist, like "In all our children's command", so both sexes are equal. Oh well...I'm ranting and I've gone off topic again.

So, was Michael Newdow able to take the case to the Supreme Courtt or whatever? Because I think I remember hearing that whoever was going against him said that he did have full or even any custody of the child and was challenging his case that way.

Back