Wake Up

This is the last update for about a month, because I'll be out of town.

Chapter 3

My mom died while on a mission. She was assassinated by Arvin Sloane. My dad died on a mission too. He was killed by multiple gunshot wounds to the chest. One of them damaged his abdominal aorta, so he was a lost cause even though they brought him to a hospital.
God, I am such a doctor.
Anyway, you think that I would have more trepidation about going in as a field doctor. Especially since my parents died in the field. But, actually, I’m ecstatic. I’m beyond ecstatic.
Maybe it’s genetic. Maybe I got my mom and dad’s gene that makes me long for field work.
Plus, I’m not exactly in the field. I’m actually off the field, ready to help people like my mom and my dad who are injured like they were in the field.
This has the potential to be the best day of my life.

Grey awoke the next morning in a safe house in a forest of Sverdlovsk. All the agents and doctors were in one room, men and women together. The night before, when they arrived, Grey quickly learned that there was a race to secure one of the three beds in this particular room. She managed to beat the others to a bed, so she had a wonderful, deep sleep.

“Grey,” Dr. Roberts said, coming in to the room. The chief (Dr. Roberts) and the head of the team (Stryker) each got their own room, “you ready?”

“yeah,” Grey said, sitting up, “I’ve just got to put on my scrubs.”

“Aren’t you already wearing them?” Dr. Roberts asked. Grey looked down and saw the black scrubs and her black long sleeve shirt already on.

“Oh yeah,” she said, groggily, “I kept them on because I didn’t want to lose the bed.”

“Get some coffee Grey,” Dr. Roberts said, rolling his eyes, “I can’t have one of my best doctors sleepy while performing surgery to save the life of injured agents.”

“okay,” Grey said, getting up and putting her black shoes on, “Right to it. Wait. Did you just say I was one of your best…”

“We leave in one hour,” Dr. Roberts interrupted, “So that we can set up the warehouse before tonight when the team raids.”

Grey suddenly felt a fear deep in her stomach. Stryker was going to be on that team. He was going to be leading the team. He could die. Like Vaughn and Sydney. He could be laying in front of her on a table, and not just for a suture.

This is why we keep the personal stuff out of the hospital,the little annoying voice in the back of her mind told her.
The medical team had been waiting in the warehouse hospital for more than 13 hours. They’d spent about half that time setting the place up, and the rest of the time waiting around. Grey was sitting on one of the beds, trying to stay awake, when another doctor sidled up.

“What are you doing?” he asked, watching her.

“Suturing a mango, in the hope that it will keep me awake and calm my nerves,” she grumbled, trying to keep herself from thinking about Stryker. The other doctor looked for another minute and then left, shaking his head as he saw a variety of sutured tropical fruit sitting on the table beside her.

“Where are they?” Dr. Roberts asked himself impatiently, “They were supposed to be back half an hour ago.”

“Sir,” Grey asked, leaving her own assigned table (and her perfectly sutured mango…where she got a mango in the middle of the wilderness in Sverdlovsk, Russia, we shall never know) and moving up to him, “Do you think everyone is alright?”

“Hard to say,” Dr. Roberts said, “But they at least usually check in…”

At that moment, an explosion erupted, drowning out Dr. Roberts’ voice. Grey and the other doctors rushed to the window as the building the team was raiding went up in flames.

“Oh my god,” Grey said, both in awe and fear. She glanced at the others watching the flames. They were just as in awe as she was.

“Here they come,” Dr. Roberts said, regaining the doctors‘ attention, “Open the door!”

The mission had obviously gone badly. Agents came running into the warehouse, yelling, pulling their own and enemies. Blood and cries of pain were filled the building. Agents pulled their fellow agents in, setting them on tables. It was chaos all around. Grey was relieved when she didn’t see Stryker in the mix of injured.
But Grey did see a woman laying on a table at the back of the warehouse, alone and untended. She had a gaping hole in her chest, and she was bleeding out. Grey instinctively put her hand on it to keep the blood in.

"Gunshot wound to chest," Grey muttered as she wrote on a chart.

“Dr. Bristow, what are you doing?” Roberts yelled at her, across the medical center, “Get over here. We need your help.”

“No,” she yelled back, “We can’t just abandon her.”

“Yes,” he yelled back, “We can. She’s an enemy agent. Come help your own!”

“She’s not only an agent!” Grey yelled again, “She’s a person! She’s a human being! Whose life needs saving!”

Grey kept her hand on the wound. Roberts turned from her angrily, but let her continue and sent others to tend to the agents. The woman had a deep wound in her abdomen, not to mention multiple burns. Grey started to inspect the woman‘s wound, but the woman agent flatlined before Grey could do anything else. Grey moved her hand and started massaging the chest.

“Come on,” she goaded, pushing the woman’s chest, “Come on. Code blue!”

No code team came. No one came to help Grey. She was in the middle of Russia, in a warehouse made to be a hospital, wondering how the hell she got herself into this kind of situation, longing for the sterile white halls of a real hospital with code teams ready to come no matter what. Grey pounded the woman’s chest, still massaging as she searched for any drug…anything…to get this woman’s heart beating again.

“Seriously?” Grey shouted, annoyed, “Is there no dopamine around here?”

No one answered. Grey was left massaging a heart while reaching around looking for drugs.

“Grey,” Roberts said, coming to her after a few minutes and pulling her hands off the wound, “She’s gone. She’s gone.”

“No,” Grey yelled, hysterical, “There has to be something. She can’t die. I was supposed to save her. Get a defibrillator here now! ”

“Grey,” Roberts said, pulling her away from the woman, “Let go. You have to.”

She struggled with Roberts, trying to get back to the woman, when the dull beep stopped. The machine had turned off. Grey froze, paralyzed, staring at the woman on the table.

“Call it doctor,” Roberts said to her.

Grey was rooted to the spot, silent and in shock. She couldn’t move, she couldn’t breathe, she couldn’t even cry. She could only stare at the dead woman in front of her.

“Call it Dr. Bristow,” Roberts said quietly.

Grey jerked herself out of his arms and shook her head, regaining her composure.

“Time of death,” she said, “1:54 AM.”
Grey closed the hotel room door behind her and leaned against it, exhausted. She tossed her keys on the table, trying to keep the tears back. She couldn’t cry in front of all those agents, especially since it was about 3 am and they were all asleep. On the beds. And the couches. And the chairs.

She was stuck with sleeping on the floor.

“This day sucks,” she muttered to herself, as she grabbed a wad of her clothes to use as a pillow. She settled on the floor and closed her eyes, willing herself to sleep.

The woman’s face was still stuck in her mind. She’d had blue eyes and blonde hair. She had been beautiful.

Who was she? Was she just an enemy spy? Was this her choice? Or was she roped into this job like I was? Did she have a family? Was she a mother, a wife? Did she have friends? Did she love someone like I love Stryker? Who will never see her again?

Grey opened her eyes immediately. The questions bore mercilessly in her mind. Before she could even begin to blame herself, the door to the adjacent room opened, and a figure walked in.

“Hey Grey,” Stryker whispered, kneeling beside her. She sat up, pushing her long hair back with her hands.

“You’re still awake?” she asked, hoping he wasn’t coming onto her. Because she wouldn’t be able to resist it. Especially not right now, when she was so weak.

“Yeah,” he said, “I have a separate room. Team leader’s privilege. Take it. I’ll sleep in here.”

“I know all about your separate room, Stryker,” Grey snapped, “And no, I‘m not taking it. That’s your room.”

“You need a real bed,” Stryker said, lifting her up by her arms and leading her to the adjacent room, “Just don’t break anything. Cause you’ll have to pay for it. Good night.”

He closed the door quietly. Grey turned and fell onto the bed, tossing and writhing until she was comfortable under the covers.

Then she cried. She cried for the agents that died. She cried for the enemy agents that died. She cried for her and Stryker.

Stryker must have heard her, because he came in. She felt the bed shift from his weight sitting on it.

“Grey,” he said, putting his arm over her, “Are you okay?”

“A woman died,” she said, suppressing her sobs, but her ragged tear cracked voice wasn‘t something she could hide, “My patient. Before I could even get a chance to help her.”

“I’m sorry,” he replied, sounding truly sorry.

“She was an enemy agent. And Dr. Roberts was yelling at me because I helped her. It’s like, he and no one on the med team sees the difference between enemy and human. We’re all people, and we all need the same treatment, medical or whatever, no matter what.”

“Okay.”

“And the looks I was getting from people. Like I was a traitor for trying to help her. They don’t understand. I learned to help everyone; they learned to help everyone that was on their side.”

“Look Grey. You did what you believed was right. What most believe is right. That makes you better than any doctor on that team.”

“god, I hate this job,” she said, wiping her tears.

“You’re not in the worst part of it,” Stryker said, and for the first time, Grey noticed his eyes water. The tears never fell. They were rooted in his deep blue eyes.

“What happened, Stryker?” she asked.

“We were ambushed. Somebody had leaked information to let them know we were coming. In layman’s terms…”

“A mole,” Grey interrupted.

“Why do you keep doing that?” Stryker asked, rolling his eyes.

“What?” Grey asked.

“The whole, interrupting me with the answer thing.”

“Oh. It’s a doctor thing,” Grey shrugged.

“Anyway, so now we get to hunt the mole and…it’s just, it’s exhausting.”

They sat in silence for a moment, each contemplating how to make each other feel better.

“I have a question,” he said looking at her for approval. She nodded.

“how does someone like you end up here at CIA Med Services?” he asked.

“Question I’ve been asking myself since the day I decided to work here. And honestly, I don’t know. It just felt right to be here. After that, I found out that my grandpa and mom and dad were all CIA agents. So no wonder it felt right; must have been genetic.”

“do you wish…Do you wish that you were somewhere else?” he asked.

“Every single freaking day,” she said.

“Really? Do you even wish you weren’t here with me?” he asked.

“Well…If I left, I’d take you with me.”

He didn’t kiss her. He didn’t try to come on to her. He simply wrapped his arms around her and pulled her into his chest. They both laid back down. She wrapped her hand into his, interlocking fingers. He was so warm, so protective. As she drifted off to sleep, comforted by Stryker, she couldn’t help but recall the very first night when she was planning for this man to be a one night stand, not someone that she could spend her entire life with.

And having someone to love for an entire lifetime, that is so much better.

APO

Dixon picked up the phone. This was the call he was not prepared to make. He had been dreading it all day long.

“Hello?” a female voice answered over the phone.

“It’s Dixon,” he said, trying to keep his tears back, “I need your help.”

“With what?” she asked, with a sigh.

“It’s Jack,” he said, “I need you to talk with him. He refuses to get a surgery that will save his life.”

“He’s stubborn,” she said, “Like his daughter. Like his wife.”

“Like his granddaughter,” Dixon said.

“How is she doing?” she asked, curiosity in her voice.

“Good. Very, very good.”

There was a pause on the phone.

“I’ll talk to him,“ she agreed, “Take the phone to him. I can convince him to do it.”

“Thank you,” Dixon said, “Grey will appreciate it.”

Hey everyone. I'm back, so there'll be a chapter up tomorrow. I'd have it tonight, but there's a few things I want to change. Actually, I had almost the whole thing written and I decided I didn't like the way it ended and I'm rewriting it. So hopefully there won't be long periods between chaps, but I can't promise anything.

The point is, there'll be a chap up tomorrow. :D

Okay. I'm a bad, bad, bad, lying fanfic author. Feel free to admonish and scold me for lying to you guys.
Thing is, I got so caught up in rewriting they way the story went, I forgot to post.
Yes. I forgot. Please forgive me for that one.
Well, here's the next part. Sorry for the double posting.

Chapter 4

Being a doctor is rough. You have the patients who think they know more than you, even though you’re the one who went to med school. They’re the patients who think they know what’s best for them.
And most of the time they do know what’s the best for them, and they make educated decisions that usually lead to treatment. Then you have those others who think that getting surgery to cure them is only going to make them worse, and that all surgeons want to do is cut.
Which is so not true. Okay, I admit there are times I’ve been really anxious to cut someone and save their life, and when they don’t allow us to give them surgery, I get mad. But that’s only when I’ve been deprived of an actual surgery.
Anyway, what I’m trying to say is a doctor can’t lose focus on their job: which is to 1) save the patients life and 2) give the patient what they want/need. Which is hard to do both when giving the patient what he/she wants doesn’t save their life.
So how do you keep focus on your job, like a doctor should, when you work for this particular black ops division of the CIA, and your whole entire world is turned upside down?

Grey woke up that morning feeling rested and rejuvenated. It had been three weeks since the mission. She wasn’t exhausted anymore. She wasn’t angry. And she wasn’t stressed.
She was happy and content.

“Good morning,” she said to Stryker, rolling over and giving him a kiss. He grinned at her, and adjusted his pillow.

“Morning to you too,” he said, “What time is it?”

“4:30,” she said cheerfully.

“What? Seriously?” he asked, with a grimace.

“Yeah. I have pre-rounds.”

“And you’re that happy about them?” he groaned and rolled back over in bed.

“Not usually, I’m not,” she replied, “But anyway, I have to go. Feel free to eat whatever, and sleep as long as you want. Just be sure to lock the door on your way out.”

“Ok,” he murmured, already drifting back off to sleep, “Have a good day.”

“You too,” Grey chirped, and hopped out of bed.

As she walked down the hall to get some coffee, she realized why she was so happy. Her and Stryker had been officially dating since they got back from their mission.
Maybe it was fate. Maybe it was their connection. Maybe it was the prospect of death. But something had brought both of them around to the point where they couldn’t put off being with each other any longer.

Before she could pour herself coffee, though, she felt a wave of sickness hit her stomach. She put her coffee mug back down and ran to the bathroom. On her way, she tripped over the table in the hall, knocking it over with a loud crash. She also fell onto the sink and knocked the products around it down. She had just thrown up when the door to the bathroom burst open and Stryker came in, wielding a gun.

“Get down!” he yelled, looking around the bathroom.

“What the hell are you doing?” Grey asked, grabbing a washcloth and rinsing out the sink.

“What happened?” Stryker said, putting his gun down, “What was all that noise.”

“I had to throw up,” she said, “And I knocked over a few things trying to make it to the bathroom.”

“You okay?” he asked, dropping his gun and putting a hand on her forehead.

“Yeah,” she said, moving his hand so she could wash her face, “I think I might be getting a stomach virus, or something.”

“Well, Dr. Bristow,” he said, “Should you be going to the hospital if you’re sick?”

“Yeah,” she said, “I’m fine. I feel fine now. Go back to bed.”

Stryker warily left the bathroom. Grey finished getting ready and got dressed. She replaced Stryker’s gun in his bag, and fed her dog.

Then a thought came to her. A really, really scary thought.
After pre-rounds, Grey found Abby and pulled her into the nearest supply closet. Grey was flustered and looked like she was going to be sick.

“What?” Abby said, surprised.

“I’m,” Grey began, but couldn’t finish.

“Spit it out,” Abby griped, “I’m supposed to be checking on room 307.”

“I’m pregnant,” Grey said.

“Oh,” Abby said, “Since when?”

“Since, this morning, when I got sick, and some voice in my head told me to do the test.”

“Well, that’s very, interesting, especially the voice in your head,” Abby said, “Stryker?”

“Yeah,” Grey said.

“What are you going to do?” Abby asked, leaning against one of the shelves.

“I don’t know,” Grey said, “I mean, it’s not like I have the time to have a baby. I barely
have time to sleep.”

“You obviously had enough time to…” Abby started.

“Abby! This is serious!” Grey yelped.

“Sorry,” Abby apologized, “I was trying to lighten the mood a little.”

Grey just shook her head.

“You told him yet?” Abby asked.

“No,” Grey said, “I’m not going to, well, until, I know what I’m going to do. Until I have a decision made, and I know exactly what’s going to happen, and I have it all planned, he’s not going to know.”

“Okay,” Abby said, “By the way, don’t tell Ben.”

“What?” Grey asked, looking at her.

“I’m not supposed to tell you,” Abby said, “But I’d rather piss him off than have you tell him that you’re pregnant.”

“Okay,” Grey said, “tell me.”

“Ben has a thing for you,” Abby said, “I mean, like, major in love with you.”

“Seriously?” Grey laughed, until she saw how serious Abby was, “Seriously.”

Dr. Roberts came up to the two of them. They both stopped they’re socializing and turned to face him.

“I need both of you to join me in room 276,” he said, suppressing a smile.

“That’s,” Grey began, “That’s Jack’s room.”

“Yes,” Dr. Roberts said, “Come along.”

A wave of nausea hit Grey’s stomach, and it wasn’t from her pregnancy.

“Is he okay?” she asked.

Dr. Roberts didn’t answer, he just kept on walking.

“Grey,” Jack said, when she walked through the door. Grey breathed a sigh of relief when she saw he was still alive.

“Yeah?” she asked, prodding Jack to go on. He breathed deeply.

“I’m getting the surgery,” he said.

“Seriously?” she asked, making sure he wasn’t just kidding.

“Yes,” he said. She moved to his bedside.

“When will he go in?” she asked Dr. Roberts.

“I have an OR scheduled for tonight,” he said, “We’ll take the tumor off right away. It’s a good thing he didn’t wait a moment sooner. His life is still able to be saved. Dr. Summers and I are going to go prep the OR.”

The two of them left, Abby squeezing Grey’s hand on the way out.

“Thank you,” Grey said to her grandfather.

“You were right,” he said, “I do need the surgery. I need to find Sydney.”

“Grandpa,” Grey said, “She’s dead.”

“No she’s not,” Jack said, “She’s not. I promise. I couldn‘t tell you, for everyone‘s sake.
But…I’ve gotten new hope that I will be able to look at my daughter again. That’s why I’m getting the surgery. So there’s a chance I’ll see her again.”

Grey hesitated. She didn’t want him to change his mind. She didn’t want him to lose his spirit. But she didn’t want him to go insane either.

“There’s always complications with surgeries,” Grey said, assuming her doctor stance, “This surgery is risky. If it goes without any problem, you’ll be just fine.”

“I want you to promise me something,” Jack said, taking Grey’s hand, “If I’m not okay, find your mother for me.”

“How? How am I supposed to find her?”
Jack opened his mouth to speak, but immediately stopped. He fell backwards onto his pillow as a familiar erratic beep began.

“Grandpa?” Grey said, surprised at the sudden change, “Code Blue!”

She was shoved backwards as the code team rushed in. She could only watch through the sea of scrubs as they attempted to bring him back.

They handed Abby the paddles. In a split second, the machine was charged and Jack’s pulse returned. Dr. Roberts entered with Abby right behind him.

“We have to get him into surgery right away,” he said, “Dr. Summers, you’ll be scrubbing
in. Let’s move people.”

They moved Jack out of the room and to the elevator. Grey stood there amidst all the quick movements.

“Grey,” Abby said, coming up to her, “He’ll be fine.”

Grey followed them all the way to the elevator. Jack regained consciousness and raised his head, looking at Grey.

“Isabelle…The Passenger can help you,” he said, sedated and groggy. He fell back against the pillows asleep.
Grey shuffled through the folders. She was on edge, not being part of the operation on her own grandfather, and she knew it would be hours before it would be over. She was one of the few people in the APO offices. She knew she wasn’t supposed to be in this part of the building without permission from the Dr. Roberts or from Dixon, but she had to find out about the Passenger and the name Isabelle, just in case Jack didn’t make it. She was so absorbed in digging through the classified files that she didn’t even notice the door open behind her.

“So,” Stryker said from behind her, “You do have some agent skills.”

Grey jumped about a foot with a yelp, dropping the file. She turned and glared at Stryker, who was leaning against the doorway smirking.

“Can’t you get rid of the smirk?” she asked, annoyed. The whole pregnancy thing wasn’t helping.

“Sorry,” he said, picking up the file for her, “What are you looking for in here anyway?”

“None of your business,” she said, snatching the file from him.

“why? I’m an agent. I have every right to know why you’re here instead of in the hospital.”

Grey breathed deep. She could trust him. He’d been spending the night at her place for the past two weeks. Not that that sort of thing constituted trust, but it was the best she had. And he knew where all the files were.

“Okay,” she said, “Fine. I’ll tell you what I’m looking for, if you promise not to say anything about it.”

“Alright,” he said, still smirking.

“I’m looking for the Passenger, and someone named Isabelle,” she said. He looked at her, puzzled.

“I’ve heard of the Passenger,” he said, “Something to do with Rambaldi, when that craze was going around the intelligence community. I think there’s a file about it somewhere.
As for Isabelle…no idea.”

He dug through a drawer. Grey leaned against a file cabinet, watching him. Was she really falling in love with him? Yes. She was getting feelings for somebody terribly off limits.

“Here we are,” he said, pulling a file out, “The Passenger. It has to do with a prophecy made by Rambaldi. It says the Passenger and the Chosen One will fight and only one will survive.”

Grey looked at him.

“Seriously?” she asked, trying not to scoff.

“Seriously,” he said, and she could tell he was trying not to laugh, “the Passenger’s name is Nadia Santos. She was an agent a long time ago. Sloane‘s daughter.”

“But she’s dead. Sloane murdered her.”

“People don’t always die,” Stryker said, “Especially in our business.”

“Get her file for me,” Grey said, “Might as well look her up for Jack.”
Grey walked into the house. It was a nice house, it looked very comfortable to live in, except for the fact it was a nursing home. Grey was quickly pointed to a dark haired woman sitting in the foyer by the fire.

“Hi,” Grey said, sitting down in the plush velvet chair, “My name is Grey Bristow. I‘m Sydney‘s daughter.”

“Who are you?”

“I’m your niece, Grey Bristow.”

Nadia turned her head slightly and looked at her.

“Are you my doctor?” she asked, confused.

“No,” said Grey, “But I am a doctor.”

“You look familiar,” Nadia said, her eyebrows knitting together as she thought, “But your eyes are different.”

“Different than whose?” Grey asked, curious.

“Sydney of course,” Nadia said, “You’re her daughter, aren’t you?”

“You know me?” Grey asked, almost standing up from her chair.

“Yes,” Nadia said, “You’re my doctor.”

Grey’s excitement diminished. Nadia almost recognized her as her niece. Grey turned around trying to hide her tears of frustration from her aunt. It wouldn’t help the situation if she lost her patience. When she turned around, though, she saw Stryker outside the home. She left the house quickly, assuring Nadia she’d be right back.

“You followed me here, to the nursing home?” she almost yelled at him.

“Yes,” he said, “You seemed upset.”

“You need to stop doing that,” she said. Stryker held up his hands.

“Stop doing what?”

“Following me when I seem upset.”

“Tell me what’s up. You left with that file so quickly last night, and never told me anything except that she‘s your aunt.”

“Okay. Fine. You want to know what’s up? My aunt was infected with a pathogen that caused her to be a zombie. She was given a cure that woke her for about two years after being in a coma for about 3. She was cured for a few years, but it was temporary, long enough for her to get married and have a son, before the cure‘s side effects took effect.. And I doubt that she even knows that she has a son, who happens to be my best friend, meaning he’s like my half cousin, which is weird. There’s a surgery that will make her normal again, but I can’t do it without her consent or Sloane’s consent. Since Sloane is hard to get to, I came here to try and explain, and I can’t, because as soon as she recognizes me as a doctor, she suddenly recognizes me as her niece, which I didn’t even know up until last night. And also, she’s supposed to help me find my mom if she’s even alive, but she can’t even remember who she was, so without this surgery, I won’t be able to find her. So that is what’s up.”

Stryker stared at her, speechless.

“I got lost somewhere in that,” he said.

“Whatever. That felt good,” Grey said, “Getting that off my chest.”

“I’m glad,” Stryker said, “Have you tried to talk to You Know Who?”

“Sloane?”

“Yeah,” Stryker said, “I feel like Harry Potter.“

“What are you talking about?“ Grey asked, looking at him like he’d lost his mind.

“not being able to say his name without getting in major trouble for even suggesting that someone made contact with him,” Stryker shrugged, “never mind.”

“Okay. Well, anyway, no, I haven‘t talked to him yet. He’s pretty off limits.”

She couldn’t tell him that she had been in contact with Sloane several times. Though it would be nice being able to share that with. And to vent about to.

“I’m going to see him tomorrow,” she said quietly.

“You’re going to see Sloane tomorrow?” Stryker asked, “Is Dixon making an exception
for you?”

“Not really,” Grey said, “I’ve been to see him a couple of times.”

Stryker stared at her. He looked both hurt and angry.

“Don’t give me that look,” she said, “You should feel lucky you know. I’m not supposed to tell anyone. Plus, it would be nice to have someone go with me.”

Stryker stared for another minute at her.

“Fine,” he said, “I cave. I’ll go.”
Grey ran inside her house to grab some clothes before she left for Sloane’s. Stryker was going to pick her up in an hour. Ben was sitting on the couch, watching a movie.

“Hey,” he said, “I’ve got Mission Impossible on right now. Want to watch?”

“Can’t,” Grey said, running to her room, “I have to pack.”

“Where are you going?” Ben asked following her.

She turned to face him. He was so honest, so sweet. How could she lie to him any longer? He deserved to know about his mother.

“I’m going to see Arvin Sloane,” she said, “Because I need him to give your mother surgery.”

“What?” Ben stared at her.

She explained to him about Nadia, and about Jack, while she continued to throw things in her suitcase.

“But, how did she have me if she was sick?” he asked.

“She was cured for a short time,” Grey explained, “2 years exactly. But the cure ended up causing memory loss. Drastic, memory loss. She's been in the nursing home for 33 years."

“Was it me?” Ben asked, a sudden pain hitting his face.

“No,” Grey assured him, “I don’t think so.”

“Why didn’t my dad tell me this?” Ben asked, shaking his head.

“I don’t know,” Grey said, about to cry, “Ben, I’m sorry.”

“What’s all this about?” Ben said, “Why did you find out about my mother?”

“I’m trying to find my mother,” Grey said, grabbing her bag, “Look, I have to go. I have a plane to catch. Here’s your mother’s address and room number. I think you should go see her.”

“Nadia Santos,” he read, looking at the paper, “Nadia.”

They stood in silence for a moment.

“So my mother needs to help find your mother?” Ben asked, finally.

“Yeah,” Grey said, “They were sisters. Well, half sisters.”

“so,” Ben said, looking very disappointed, “We’re like, half cousins.”

“Yeah,” Grey said, “Kind of weird, huh?”

“What can I do to help?” Ben asked.

“Find out everything you can about Rambaldi,” she said, “and if you could, find out who someone named Isabelle is.”

“Alright,” Ben said. Grey turned to leave.

“Grey.”

Grey turned around. Ben came to her and gave her a kiss on the forehead.

“Be safe,” he said.

“I will,” she said, with a smile, and then grabbed Ben and gave him a hug.

Alrighty. That's chapter 4. If Nadia's current medical condition that described makes absolutely no sense (i read back over it, and edited it, and revised it, and frankly, i still can't make it make sense) then please post about it. I will explain it. Unless it already makes sense. Chapter 5 coming soon!!!!

Back