Weapons

Originally posted by Presto@May 1 2006, 01:03 AM
Hmmm, what about martial combat?

I would like to see pugilism or martial arts of some kind.
i would absolutely love that. but very few people appreciate the destructive power of advanced unarmed combat.

Originally posted by z80+May 1 2006, 03:20 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (z80 @ May 1 2006, 03:20 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Presto@May 1 2006, 01:03 AM
Hmmm, what about martial combat?

I would like to see pugilism or martial arts of some kind.
i would absolutely love that. but very few people appreciate the destructive power of advanced unarmed combat. [/b][/quote]
I don't think it is that people don't understand how deadly unarmed can be. It's just that in most MMORGP's, if you are un-armed, you are basically dead already if you tried to go into combat. I have seen few games actually embrace the un-armed combat. Even in FFXI where 'Monk' was all about fists, and kicks you still had 'knuckles' as weapons. Without them, you were nothing.

I feel the reason that a lot of mmos require monks to use weapons is because of their timesink design. The whole "unarmed combat" idea goes against this, because this means you wouldn't waste a few hours (or more, depending on the game) just to scrape of enough funds for weapons you'll outgrow 3 levels later. In a lot of games its pretty mandatory to buy the highest equipment too, or you'll be far less efficient than other people at your level.

I think HJ is going to be one of those games where unarmed combat will be much more feasible (due to design). People will be just as often "leveling up" their weapon instead of buying a new one every few levels, so leveling up one's bod as a weapon would be pretty sweet and definately possible, rather than buying felgercarb like brass knuckles or some other hand-to-hand combat related item.

Presto! Its nice to see some one mention pugilism and not just martial arts when they bring up unarmed combat. I think it often gets underappreciated because of all the hype surrounding martial arts, and is even considered inferior by a lot of people (it isn't). Its heartwarming to see someone embrace this fighting style of unarmed combat as well. :D

I think the major reason unarmed combat is so under-utilized in MMORPGs is that if you can become just as effective without a weapon as you can with one, it pretty much eliminates the point in having one at all, and the players with weapons feel cheated that they have to spend all that gold just to stand up to some guy who punches them in the face. Of course with the system HJ uses, there could easily be some sort of trade-off. For example, hand-to-hand fighting skills could be harder to level-up than weaponry, or they could do more damage with special attacks, but less with regular ones.

Originally posted by Azdel@May 1 2006, 01:15 PM
I think the major reason unarmed combat is so under-utilized in MMORPGs is that if you can become just as effective without a weapon as you can with one, it pretty much eliminates the point in having one at all, and the players with weapons feel cheated that they have to spend all that gold just to stand up to some guy who punches them in the face. Of course with the system HJ uses, there could easily be some sort of trade-off. For example, hand-to-hand fighting skills could be harder to level-up than weaponry, or they could do more damage with special attacks, but less with regular ones.
That brings up some good points. Some, if not most people would feel cheated if they worked for hours on end to level up their sword, and buying new hilts, gems, blades, etc. Whereas someone who just decides they don't want it to buy it can be just as plausable to use.

You also brought up some balance ideas to the problem. Hopefully Simutronics will take a look at this, and decide on something that they can do. I do however hope that hand to hand combat does become part of the game. I've yet to see it in any MMORPG so far.

It would be nice if moneysinks were placed on other things besides gear upgrades. Gear upgrades should be available but moneysinks should be placed on perishible items and on services. Such a system would allow for unarmed fighters (and armed ones too) to do just fine. If I had my way weapons would vary mainly in terms of durability appearance and functionality not dps.

In other words all weapons of a category would deal the same base multiplier of damage. For example all daggers would deal damage based on the stregnth stat x.50 + agility statx2 and the coordination statx3 =(x) amount of dps. but big fat swords would offer bigger multipliers but slower base atttack speed and it would be the same for all big fat swords. That being said some weapons will offer stat bonuses that can in effect raise dps but the weapon itself will have the same multipliers as all the other weapons of it's category.

This would reduce "gear envy" and the need to put lvl caps on gear since effectiveness will be based on your level and not the gear itself. In short, don't offer base dps upgrades on gear (by category) in the first place and put emphasis on increasing the characters internal power (which in and of itself should be costly in some fun and interesting way). This would be both more fun and more realistic as well as a good community builder.

Realistic and fun? yes. Realistic because if a guy has no training fought a knife expert and they both used the same model of knife, the knife expert would likely deal much more damage in that fight that the amateur even tho they were wielding identicle weapons. Fun because it would allow for people to wield whatever weapon they like without being particularly overpowered or underpowered since power is internal. Internal power frees people to just roleplay the game instead of mandatorily grinding it. Internal power based advancement teaches a virtuous and wholesome lesson of self-reliance and looking within for solutions to challenges.

I think it would be good for the community because it would encourage (harmless, since weak characters will always deal weak damage no matter what they weild) gift giving (twinking) which can spark friendships and affiliations. Armor would be a little different in that if your stats are too low you can wear it and be protected but heavier harder armor would slow you down and cause you to suffer other little negative side effects until you reach a certain lvl of stregnth at which point you will suffer no side effects but even then you still get the full damage mitigation and it'll be up to the player to decide if the tradeoff is worth it. I know my idea is incomplete but with a little tweaking can make for a better rpg experience.

Back