Politics What do you think god is more pissed off about

I just wrote a small rant in my LJ about anti-Christianity and anti-religion, so I'm kinda in the anit-anti mood. I'm not gonna accuse anyone of being anti-Christian, but I have the feeling that this topic is meant to make a mockery of religion or to prove it wrong, because it goes from asking the question "What bothers God more?"--which assumes that God exists--to "The Bible is wrong." :confused:

Again, I'm not gonna make judgments about anyone. But to be honest, this topic bothers me. I feel as if the question is directed towards Christians so that we could come in and read posts that say, "Oops, rhetorical question. There is no God!" I respect everyone's beliefs (as long as your philiosophy isn't to cause harm ;)), so I ask that mine are also respected, not necessarily that they haven't been so far. Some of my post may sounds sarcastic or rude, but I truly mean it in all respect.

What do you think god is more bothered about , poverty and people dieing of starvation all over the world, which in this day and age simply should not happen, and the worldwide arms trade. Or about someone who sleeps with someone of the same sex?.
Discussing sin with some other Christians, I found that a lot of them seemed to believe that God does not have more distaste of one sin over another. While stealing certainly isn't the same as murder, they are both wrongdoings. It's more of a question of intention and repentance. If a person stole someting small everyday knowing that it's wrong yet he continues to do so intentionally without remorse, is he better or worse than a person who murders in the heat of an unbearable situation and is truely sorry for his actions? The murderer's actions are definitely not justified, and his actions would have a stronger, more negative impact. But ultimately, he would come through as a better person if he realizes the wrong in his actions and makes up for them.

If you read the bible it would appear that god is never happy unless you are devoting all of your time to worshiping him.
A common misconception that non-Christians have. First of all, it would be impossible to constantly worship God ;) Second, exactly what makes God happy isn't exactly a written list. I'm sure worshipping God does make Him happy, but I'm sure He'd also appreciate kind deeds for others and self-respect.

Thats my point , i mean it's like all these christians bleet on about how being gay is wrong and you have to act in a certain way to please god or else your gonna go down in a pit of fire blah blah blah. But they never say anything about how wrong the world trade in arms is wrong... 
All? Never? I don't think you've met every Christian on earth ;) And I respect your beliefs. I won't refer to them as bleeting blah blah blah. I'd appreciate the same :smiley:

How do you purpose to take the bible? As the fiction that it is, or the fact that Christians claim it is. If it poetic and metaphorical it cannot be fact and or history as poetry and the like has no place in fact and history.
Sure you can take the parts you like, twist them however you like them, take them out of context, say they are allegorical, claim that parts that are weird or cruel are antiquated, but the bible and bible study does nothing to foster faith.
The Bible is not meant to be a history book, it's a book of religious truth (truth to those who choose to believe it). The Bible still has some historical truth to it, despite the fact that it's not completely accurate, but that's not its purpose. And there's no doubt that some parts of the Bible are metaphorical, and some people do interpret it to their own convenience, but that does not completely make the Bible a work of "fiction" as you stated. The Bible has had nearly 2000 years to be studied and interpreted. It's authors, stories, and authenticity have been reflected upon for so long, and the Bible's interpretations aren't just for convenience but the results of in-depth study. Ultimately, it comes down to individual interpretation of the Bible and relationship with God. The Bible does foster faith. After all, it's the largest religion in the world with 2 billion followers.

If taken literally we would have fathers tossing their daughters to angry crowds for rape and ravage. We would have rampant incest. We would have slavery of all races. We would be stoning people to death for using obscenities, calling psychic hotlines, being "unclean" or any number of benign acts. And that just the first 3 chapters.
I agree, if the Bible were to be taken literally, then the world would be in chaos. But the Bible shouldn't be taken literally. And you can't quote one part of the Bible without looking at the big picture. "An eye for an eye" cannot represent the Bible without stating "Love your neighbor as you love yourself."

I would deem it to be historical fiction not historic chronicle. Again, that is my own opinion, I am not trying to impose it one anyone.
Thank you for clarifying. :smiley: Earlier, it seemed as if you were factually stating the Bible's frabrication.

One thing I noticed--everyone who's not Christian doesn't capitalize the g in God. Someone had once said that she shouldn't have to capitalize the G because she's not Christian. The G is not capitalized to show off one's Christianity. It signifies a proper name. God=Yahweh, god=any god. People capitalize Zeus and Aries but it doesn't mean they believe in them. I read it as possible intentional disrepect and/or ignorance, but again, I shall not be the one to judge everyone. For all I know, it could be typos or habit. ;)

The phrase "pissed off" is not usually a phrase one finds Christians attributing to god. While I am not that founder of this topic I think that that title would indicate that it is clearly rhetorical.

If you read the bible it would appear that god is never happy unless you are devoting all of your time to worshiping him.
A common misconception that non-Christians have. First of all, it would be impossible to constantly worship God ;) Second, exactly what makes God happy isn't exactly a written list. I'm sure worshipping God does make Him happy, but I'm sure He'd also appreciate kind deeds for others and self-respect.

I was raised for 16 years in a Christian house. At 16 I went to college and spent a large amount of time studying the bible. I have already stated my credentials form biblical understand so I will not state them again. I think we can all agree the bible is subjective, your point of view dictated that mine is misconception and vice versa. You don't know what make god happy and neither do I. As I do not believe in good, I think I can say in good faith, that anything I claim makes god happy is a sarcastic statement.

Thats my point , i mean it's like all these Christians bleet on about how being gay is wrong and you have to act in a certain way to please god or else your gonna go down in a pit of fire blah blah blah. But they never say anything about how wrong the world trade in arms is wrong... 
All? Never? I don't think you've met every Christian on earth ;) And I respect your beliefs. I won't refer to them as bleeting blah blah blah. I'd appreciate the same :smiley:

When people use the phrase "all these" they usually don't mean "ever person who has ever lived and died. It's an idiom of our lexicon, kind of like saying "hey guys" to a group of girls. Also consider that a group as large as Christianity is known by it's most visible members, like Pat Robertson and Jesse Helms. When drug addicted womanizers are tell the unsaved masses to act a certain way, a way that is very unlike they was they themselves act it akin to bleating.

How do you purpose to take the bible? As the fiction that it is, or the fact that Christians claim it is. If it poetic and metaphorical it cannot be fact and or history as poetry and the like has no place in fact and history.
Sure you can take the parts you like, twist them however you like them, take them out of context, say they are allegorical, claim that parts that are weird or cruel are antiquated, but the bible and bible study does nothing to foster faith.
The Bible is not meant to be a history book, it's a book of religious truth (truth to those who choose to believe it). The Bible still has some historical truth to it, despite the fact that it's not completely accurate, but that's not its purpose. And there's no doubt that some parts of the Bible are metaphorical, and some people do interpret it to their own convenience, but that does not completely make the Bible a work of "fiction" as you stated. The Bible has had nearly 2000 years to be studied and interpreted. It's authors, stories, and authenticity have been reflected upon for so long, and the Bible's interpretations aren't just for convenience but the results of in-depth study. Ultimately, it comes down to individual interpretation of the Bible and relationship with God. The Bible does foster faith. After all, it's the largest religion in the world with 2 billion followers.

It maybe the largest religion in the world but the majority of the world does not practice it, you know those other 4 billion unsaved suckers. This is of course not to mention the other billion people WITHIN Christianity who do not practice it. Take this for example I was baptizes in a church, I am considered by the church to be a Christian. Obviously I do not practice religion and I do not believe in god, and I certainly would never consider myself a Christian...yes I am counted as one. How many more people like me do you think are out there?

If taken literally we would have fathers tossing their daughters to angry crowds for rape and ravage. We would have rampant incest. We would have slavery of all races. We would be stoning people to death for using obscenities, calling psychic hotlines, being "unclean" or any number of benign acts. And that just the first 3 chapters.
I agree, if the Bible were to be taken literally, then the world would be in chaos. But the Bible shouldn't be taken literally. And you can't quote one part of the Bible without looking at the big picture. "An eye for an eye" cannot represent the Bible without stating "Love your neighbor as you love yourself."
Like I said before am I suppose to quote the whole bible to make my point? No, that is foolish. Also take into consideration there are more references in the bible smiting and how god wants to be worshiped then to loving thy neighbor.
I am loathe to say it because it is immature....but..."Love they neighbor" cannot represent the bible with out an "eye for an eye." That coupled with more violence then love often makes me wonder why Christians think that bible is all (or at least mostly) love all the time.

I would deem it to be historical fiction not historic chronicle. Again, that is my own opinion, I am not trying to impose it one anyone.
Thank you for clarifying. :smiley: Earlier, it seemed as if you were factually stating the Bible's fabrication.

Ahh yes sarcasm is best. Feel free to take the rantings of someone you will never meet in real life to heart, I don't mind. I could care less if I was right or wrong. I believe the bible is all false. I don't believe in god. I think the majority of Christians as hypocrites. I think organized religion is a way to make people docile. I think Christianity is homophobic and misogynistic. I think god was created to scare humans into being good. I think the bible is a violent book that should only be read to adults. And finally I think people who are living their current life all for untold rewards in the "afterlife" are fooling themselves. No one in the real world is ever going to change my views, and people on the internet are certainly no different.

sycofancy said:
Ahh yes sarcasm is best. Feel free to take the rantings of someone you will never meet in real life to heart, I don't mind. I could care less if I was right or wrong. I believe the bible is all false. I don't believe in god. I think the majority of Christians as hypocrites. I think organized religion is a way to make people docile. I think Christianity is homophobic and misogynistic. I think god was created to scare humans into being good. I think the bible is a violent book that should only be read to adults. And finally I think people who are living their current life all for untold rewards in the "afterlife" are fooling themselves. No one in the real world is ever going to change my views, and people on the internet are certainly no different.
As much as we never agree on anything, I will agree that sarcasm is best :smiley:.

But seriously, I'm not one who believes in God just because my religion tells me to. For me, belief is something that I have to be able to justify on my own terms and then on my religion's terms.
A philosophy that I have found interesting is St. Thomas Aquinas's Five Proofs (I think I've posted about these before, but...). Whether or not you believe Aquinas is a saint or not, regardless, he does bring up some hard to refute points for the existance of God. So, my question is, as an Atheist, how do you explain them away (I don't mean this in a defensive way, I'm just wondering)? So, here goes-

St. Aquinas's Five Proofs for the Existance of God:
1. Motion-for anything to be put in motion, there needs to be a first mover. Everything from time to planets are in motion, so who started it? Christians believe this is God.
2. Causiality-(much like motion) our existances is a series of cause and effect, but there needs to have been a first cause. Again, Christians believe this is God.
3. Design- the universe is "designed" in such a way that everything works and chaos doesn't exist. This design couldn't have been just one big accident, which suggests that an intelligent being created the universe. Christians believe that God designed the universe.
4. Degrees of Perfection- there is a natural imperfection in all beings, but in ranges. This range suggests that there is a "perfect being"-Christians say this is God.
5. Natural Order- every human is born with an innate sense of right and wrong. Instituations may vary this belief, but still a common "morality" exists in all humans. Who set this natural order? Christians believe it's God.

princess jeanie, i take it that ur catholic too? (rock on! :cool: )

and what sycofancy was saying about prominant people in christianity, who the heck are Pat Robertson and Jesse Helms? have you heard someone by the name of John Paul II? if not, you should check him out, it might blow your mind...

i don't know a great deal about jesse helms, but pat robertson should get struck by lightning for daring to call himself a christian...

the_alliance said:
princess jeanie, i take it that ur catholic too? (rock on! :cool: )

and what sycofancy was saying about prominant people in christianity, who the heck are Pat Robertson and Jesse Helms? have you heard someone by the name of John Paul II? if not, you should check him out, it might blow your mind...
I lived in Rome for 2 years. I've been to the Vatican, home of the pope, some 50 times.

You should check it out, it's my favorite place on earth, it might blow your mind....

Just to let you know....

Pat Robertson is the founder of the Chrisitian Broadcasting Network. I would say that certainly puts a face on christianity.

Jesse Helms is a senator from North Carolina. He is also one of the founding members of the Christian Coalition. Again I would say you don't get more Christian then the Christian Coalition.

i see what you're saying! :lol:

what you're thinking of is a term known as Protestant. most people substitute that word for Christian. that's like calling Chinese people Asians, which is true, but the Chinese do not represent all of Asia. Christians is a type of religion. Protestant (the ppl ur talking about) and Catholics are branches of Christianity. therefore, those ppl would only represent Protestants, but that also complicates things, because Protestants have their own beliefs (customized) but for Catholics, although mainly Catholics are "salad bar" Catholics (they pick and choose what they like), the Church has a set of teachings. so you could check that out.

off topic....how is rome? i wanted to go during the summer this year, but not enough ppl wanted to go, so trip was cancelled. i really wanna meet this pope before he dies.

I am thinking of christians in general so I have no idea what you are talking about as far as protestants are concerned....

Just for the record, my family is Catholic and I went to church and what have you, for each of the 16 years I lived with them. I am still forced to go and pay lip service to their religion on holidays and such.

You should go to Rome, everyone should go to Rome. Italy is the greatest places I have ever been. Everything is beautiful, even the mail slots. Good luck actually meeting the pope as I hear that is a near impossible task. I did catch a glimps of him through the window once but that was about it...and that was with going to the vatican almost everyday for two month to study their Greek and Roman sculpture collection.

sycofancy said:
xdancer said:
i don't know a great deal about jesse helms, but pat robertson should get struck by lightning for daring to call himself a christian...
They are essentially the same person....ideal wise.
thanks. i've heard of the christian coalition and from what i've heard, i'm not a huge fan of them either. hmm...it frightens me that i knew so little about jesse helms since i live in nc...

and protestants are not like pat robertson for the most part. i certainly hope that's not the impression you get, alliance

xdancer said:
thanks. i've heard of the christian coalition and from what i've heard, i'm not a huge fan of them either. hmm...it frightens me that i knew so little about jesse helms since i live in nc...
I think he is in the process of retiring.

The Christian Coalition is the very epitome of evil.

Back