Politics What is the most serious problem in the world?

What is the most serious problem facing the world today?

• Terrorism

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Global poverty

• Nuclear proliferation/weapons of mass destruction

• Ethnic/religious tensions and conflict

• Environmental degradation/climate change

• Energy shortages

• War

• Diseases

• Financial instability

• Other (please specify)

• Total voters
I have read many heated discussions over gay marriage and abortion here, especially in light of the US elections, but IMHO, frankly they are many other issues in the world that are more serious and deserve much attention.

Therefore I have posed the question in the poll and I hope to hear your thoughts- not only on what you think are the most serious problems facing us in our time, but also what solutions/actions you suggest if you were in a position to do something about it. Who knows maybe some of us here are or will be in a position to make real changes someday? :smiley:

Because of the limited poll choices, the problems I have selected are pretty wide, and naturally I haven't been able to mention all the problems we face, so please feel free to specify other problems or be more specific in focusing on a particular aspect of the problem you think is most serious.

For me personally, I think global poverty is the most serious problem we face today, especially given the growing North/South divide between the rich and the poor countries. The fact that the US spends close to $450 billion on the military and only $15 billion on development aid is just wrong to me. As is the fact that many developed countries still do not meet the goal of contributing 0.7% (!) of their GDP to development aid. Of course, contributing money alone cannot solve the problem of global poverty but it could do a lot. Food and clean water for a start. And cancelling third world debt would be another important step. As part of the Millennium Development goals, the UN aims to reduce by half the proportion of people living on less than a dollar a day and reduce by half the proportion of people who suffer from hunger by 2015. But sadly, I think at this rate, they are destined to fail.

Not suprisingly, I tend to think the ethnic conflict/tensions are the most serious conflict facing the world. I think ALL of these on the list are very serious, especially global poverty. But I feel like the persisting conflicts the world has are a basis for a lot of these other problems. Take terrorism for example, most of the terrorists come from parts of the world where people are fighting and struggling on a daily basis. I also think this problem affects global poverty, at least in Africa. If you look at Somalia and the Sudan and elsewhere, a lot of why people don't get the food and supplies they need is because of some ethnic conflict or another.

Who knows maybe some of us here are or will be in a position to make real changes someday?

*raises hand* That'd be me. Well at least where the Middle East is concerned. Hopefully one day you guys will be watching the news and see me in a meeting with Israeli and Palestinian negotiators :smiley:

Terrorism is a symptom, not the illness.

I voted ethnic/religious tensions. That includes the unrest outside of America and evangelistic extremism in America.

I agree that all of those issues listed are important issues, but for the sake of choosing just one I picked environmental problems. If we (US primarily, but everyone is also responsible) don't make more serious efforts at protecting the environment and finding ways for sustainable development everyone is going to be in serious trouble. This is one of the many things that troubles me about the Bush administration. Right now they are eagerly looking at the Alaskan Reserves now that they have an even larger majority in the Senate. We need to be spending more time and efforts developing alternative energy sources not drilling on fragile land for a very short supply of oil.

I also think that the environment covers a lot of other issues at the same time. Such as global poverty. No one's going to care about problems with the environment if they can't eat today. So I think that is one way at tackling the issue, albeit a very big task. Another thing that needs to be done is to stop outsourcing (as much as possible). Not only does it destroy the environment in poor countries but it's also a human rights issue with the sweat shops.

There are of course many other issues, but I'll leave it at that for now. I'm hoping when I graduate I'll be able to get my foot in the door in doing environmental work. ^_^

Thanks! Your dedication to working for peace is very noble too :hug: How's the grad school stuff going?

I'm doing pretty good. Schools keeping me really busy at the moment, so it's good to be occupied while SD-1 is down.. and to keep me from thinking about other recent events :whistle:

Very true.

ETA: Interesting site Vesh!

Thanks! Your dedication to working for peace is very noble too  How's the grad school stuff going?

Thanks! Not bad, I'm trying to get everything in by Thanksgiving, so I've got a bit of time, but just stressed about it a little.

I'm doing pretty good. Schools keeping me really busy at the moment, so it's good to be occupied while SD-1 is down.. and to keep me from thinking about other recent events

Yeah really! I thought it was kind of a mixed blessing. I can't help from thinking about it, I have to go to work everyday :(

Terrorism...mainly b/c it's becoming so rampant...and we could, unfortunately destroy ourselves, within a couple of weeks if any of the countries involved decided to use weapons of mass destruction

All of the issues listed, however, are pressing...

ETA...I should have said a combo of terrorism/weapons of mass destruction

Thanks for the responses! :smiley: Interesting views all around.

I also agree with this. I think global poverty/inequitable distribution of wealth/resources has a lot to do with fostering terrorism and ethnic/religious tensions actually, more so than the other way around. When people- especially angry young men- are poor and disenfranchised and only see a future of hopelessness, it's that much easier to be seduced by violence and radical ideologies espousing hatred of others as a way to give meaning to their lives. Ethnic/religious tensions surface especially when there is a lack of enough economic opportunity to go around.

Another thing that needs to be done is to stop outsourcing (as much as possible). Not only does it destroy the environment in poor countries but it's also a human rights issue with the sweat shops.
Actually I don't agree with this. Whilst outsourcing may be perceived as bad for workers in developed countries, it generally is a good thing for workers in developing countries who are often starving for economic opportunity. Workers in developing countries are often working for the powerful multinational corporations (so despite outsourcing, the $$ goes back to the wealthy economies) and whilst their working conditions are often poor and not up to the standards in developed countries, I think most of the workers are glad to have a job than face unemployment. MNCs and local governments do need to be pressured more to meet environmental and labour standards and MNCs need to share more of their healthy profits with the workers, but they do help drive many local economies. Rich countries need to stop just preaching free trade, but start practising free and fair trade.

As for the search for alternative energy sources... it's only a matter of time before the oil in Iraq runs out. :rolleyes: I just hope China and India and the US don't do any more invasions to get oil.

I said other because a lot of those things are results of something that's happening everywhere now. The loss of respect. Few respect eachother anymore, and this creates an animosity that causes terrorism, religious tensions, etc.

Well the US could do a lot more if it chose to. The Bush administration does not give me much hope in this respect, it's already worsened several of the problems. These are global problems which require global solutions and cooperation. No go it alone approaches will have lasting effect. At the same time the world doesn't just revolve around the US, and other nations should do their best to address the problems anyway.

I think that one of the worst problems in the world is the unequal distribution of resources causeing poverty, ethnic tentions ect. I am in university in the international development program and our main objective is trying to understand the developing nation... we watched this unbelievable movie on the war in Rwanda which the entire world ignored, and this gets one thinking about why the western world would choose to ignore a genocide of a people... i really think that we need to become better humanitarians and stop thinking only of our own interests... oil ect. and think of the world problems as another human being in pain and suffering... i think that every person in the world has the basic right to live without having their hands and feet cut off... its all about the people and i really think that we need to think more about the suffering and less about the politcs

but im only a first year... i have many many years to go to become a cynic

They are all serious issues, but one very close to my heart is the one in my sig.

What makes it worse is that hardly anybody in the world knows or cares about it.

What do you think is the United States' responsibility in fixing these issues?
I would settle for it not worsening some of the problems... :rolleyes: which the Bush administration has.

But seriously, the US is the only superpower in the world at the moment. It has the political clout to generate momentum and initiative in many of these issues if it chose to by taking a leading role. Not to say the US hasn't helped in the past, it's just the state of the world in many places speaks to the fact that a LOT of work remains to be done, and these problems are generally taking a backseat to national self-interest. Sometimes political will is all that's needed to get the ball rolling.

They are all serious issues, but one very close to my heart is the one in my sig. What makes it worse is that hardly anybody in the world knows or cares about it.
I do know about the terrible dowry deaths or tragedies that have taken place in India. I watched a documentary about it and my Indian girlfriends have told me about it- though luckily none had to deal with anything like that. It's just especially disgusting that "family" are the ones who are torturing these brides for $, and though they now police tackling dowry cases especially, I don't think it's helping all that much because either it's a matter of too little too late or the people involved are too scared to speak out. Until the whole dowry culture changes, it will be hard to change the situation for many women. :(

i have many many years to go to become a cynic
I know the feeling ;) but God help me if I should ever lose all my idealism!

And a shout out to those mysterious folks who have voted "Other", it'd be great to hear what you are referring to! :smiley:

Back