What kind of player are you?

z80

Cadet
What primarily motivates you to play a game and do you thing HJ will facilitate your motivations?

I ask this because oftentimes when people on mmo messageboards disagree with stuff, it usually isn't a matter of right versus wrong. Most of the points the debaters have are valid. The reasons for the debate was their differing motivations to play. For example:

SH2: I hate for stuff to be soulbound, it limits trading and which we should be able to do freely with our own hard earned items.

glaciusgh3: soulbinding makes people have to adventure to get the good stuff and that gives us a sense of accomplishment. A sense of accomplishment is a crucial element of good gameplay.

Both make valid points. The argument is really about a difference in motivation. SH2 is probably motivated by collecting, trading and giving. While glaciusgh3 is clearly motivated my achievement, accomplishment and status. Soulbinding would make many cool trading, collecting and giving opportunities unavailable and spoil SH@s fun. But to not soulbind stuff would cheapen and in many cases eliminate glaciusgh3's sense of accomplishment, achievement and status. Again both valid points. Although I can thing of a couple ways to cater to both camps in my example.

I'm not arguing which is better. I'm just asking what is it for you? What is your motivator?

To answer my own question, my motivators are :
1. foward movement : i must be able to advance my character meaningfully at a consistent rate via consistent means. It seems like HJ may facilitate this. I'm uncertain.
2. free trade (or giving) full open marketing : i love helping others by giving them useful things (including the "gimmies") this means no soulbinding. No game these days has the guts to do this. HJ will sadly be another of these games lacking in guts to go this route. (This is not to say HJ will suck, it just means one of my great motivators will be neglected by yet another good game)
3. appearance improvement : This is a big one for me. The possibility of improving my appearance keeps me motivated to play. I already know HJ will facilitate this. With this intact I can live without the first two. But having all three motivators ingame would make the ultimate game for me.

As you can see, Achievement isn't on my list. This doesn't mean I don't like achieving..it's just not a motivational drive for me. foward movement could be seen as an achievement but gaining levels and upgrading gear isn't anything special or much of an achievement if everybody else is doing it too and with the same relative consistent ease.

That's a good question. I honestly don't know what kind of player I am....I only know that I tend to play CS more than MMORPGs (excepting Star Wars Galaxies for the first few months of its release)....

Roleplay: My primary motivation for any of my characters is to play my character as I created it and evolve it through the interactions with other characters. I hope HJ will focus on this aspect of their game, because MMORPG's have been missing the "RPG" part of the name since the beginning.

Fun: I just want to enjoy the game. I don't need to advance quickly, have great stuff, etc. ( Not that having cool stuff isn't fun ;0 ) So far so good, on this one

Advancement: Finally, it is fun to see your character grow, both in skill and personality. Though, it doesn't have to be a quick Journey.

Customization: im not talking about initially at character creation, I'm talking throughout the whole game. I HATED how in WoW, if you wanted to be good, you had to look the same as the next "good" character. If you were a tweak for BG's, you all looked the same. "OH YOU CAN'T RAID UNTIL YOU LOOK LIKE US GEARED PEOPLE!"
Not only that, but you had to be a certain spec in order to be good, you can't do what you want!

I know HJ will cater to me on this part, so im not worried.

Fun Factor: Just last night I was BORED OUT OF MY MIND, so I tried to play WoW, but it is even more boring than sitting there, it's actually more work too. I need a game where I actually want to play it, and it is actually fun. Not the mind numbing suck-fest that is the current MMO.

Roleplay: I have never roleplayed in a game before, only on forums. I want to see how it converts from the text world to the graphical world. Instead of just saying that I kill something, I actually kill something. It should be interesting and I am looking forward to it.

Hostile - I want to be able to take on whoever I want if they say the wrong thing. Open PvP is in my eyes one of the things that makes a game keep going.

Riches - I want to oogle at other people, and in the same aspect, have people oogle at me.

Fun - I play to have a good time. If I'm not having fun, then why would I be playing?

Immersion : I want a graphics based MMO that can immerse me in my environment as if I actually lived in Elanthia. None have done this to date, and if anyone can do it, it's the magical folks at Simu. 'Nuff said.

Roleplay : Well obviously the guy who wants immersion is going to want roleplay :P. But why? Because I like being someone else, this is why I play video games. If I didn't enjoy being someone else I would go do what it is I'm playing on the screen, or act it out. I am titillated by the fact that I can be evil in the video game, yet be the nicest guy in real life.

PvP : That's strange, someone who wants PvP wants RP? That's right! I'm a PvPRP bundle, not one or the other as most games often see it. I have had no thrill that even compares to my grouping with my friends in DR in order to settle a dispute that had arisin by challenging them to a gentleman's duel of one weapon style. I like being able to defend my honor, not run around and gank like a chicken with my head cut off. I like squad based, tactical PvP- maybe my guild has their 5 best warriors (a combination of multiple classes) fight your guild's 5 best. I like being able to fight people, then hug them after words... For me, it's not about me beating their --- or them ganking me when I'm trying to hunt, it's about pure skill on skill, tactics on tactics action.

FUN FUN FUN: No tedium! AKA faction grinds. Faction grinds (in the current way they are) kills fun for me. If they are done in an interesting way rather than kill <target> 100million times and collect <item> 100000 times to get exalted, then I'm all for it!

Exploration: I LOVE exploring. Discovering new places always excites me! Mystery to the place excites me even more! It makes me want to know the history and what happened.

Friends: I prefer to be able to talk to my friends wherever they are. Hunting alone but being able to talk to someone is nice. Hunting alone and not being able to talk to someone is not nice.

Challenging Battles: I want to have battles that doesn't require a 40man raid but still be exciting to a duo or group of 5. You know, that battle when you've been grinding stuff for a while, and then a hard mob(s) pops up and catches you off guard. And you think it's impossible, but with teamwork (or if alone, skills), you BEAT IT and are ELATED!! You now are so much more awake from the sleepy grinding feel! THAT BATTLE. The mob(s) don't even have to drop anything. It's just that feeling you get after defeating the mobs. As Keanu Reeves would say, "Woah".

Customization: I like lots of customization. Though I will say, that I get annoyed with the ones that have TOO much because it will take me forever to make a character lol.

Meaningful Endgame: Most mmo's, when you hit the level cap, your choices are either: do nothing, farm, raid. I don't want to be limited to just those choices. I want to still be able to accomplish things and find them fun to do. I want to feel like I'm still lvl 1 with so much to do when I hit level cap.

~Oedipial

I play MMOs to immerse myself in the world, explore, and for the customization options of designing my avatar. I like having a house to tinker with, too.

I am a player with pride.

I am a player with power.

I am a player who don't take no felgercarb off of nobody.

As far as the things which encourage me to play the game, there are a few:

Society: I want my character to come to know other characters, and in turn be known by them. I want the stury of my character to include grudges and friendships, rumours and conspiracies, all kinds of inter-character frollicks.

Know-how: I enjoy getting to know things within the game that I consider interesting. Whether this is knowing the historical background to the world, or that passing my sword through some mushrooms in the cave hidden behind those bushes that look the same as all other bushes will coat it with poison, it all gives me an enormous sense of satisfaction.

Advancement: I want to be able to make my character more powerful. At the very least in terms of skills/levels/stuff, but allowing for meaningful advancement of one's influence is something that really tickles my fancy.

Off the top of my head those would be the top 3 wonders of any MMORPG world for me.

Well there is so many I don't know where to begin so I'll only cover a couple

Competitive - I don't like people to be better then me in games and since I'll never be the best I've always got something to work towards. But that strive to be the best in the game gives me a lot of motivation to play, usually only in pvp though :smiley: .

Exploring - I love the first time I go to a new place in a game. I always have that wondering going on in my head on whether I should be there or not and I love it.

PVP - Ya its capped because this is one of the most important aspects of a game for me. Ya I like PvE but AI isn't always that good in games. The real challenge comes from other players since you never know whats coming next. That and I love going around newbie villages and playing the game "ganking the gankers" meaning I don't like people who harass new players.

Community - Its always great to log into a game after a long day and be greeted by the people in your clan/guild. Its what makes an mmo for me. Some days you want to group some days you want to solo but you've always got chat going on with people in your downtime while you med.

Originally posted by Darrt@Jun 18 2006, 07:23 PM
Before I state my motivations, I'm gonna make a few points:

"HJ will sadly be another of these games lacking in guts to go this route." -z80
You don't know this.

You don't know what I know. Would you be willing to gamble on whether I end up being right or wrong?

I only gamble against myself. That way I can't lose.

I say I know you don't know this because it sounds like a semi-important fact that I would've remembered. And if it was confirmed by a GM/dev somewhere there's a good 99% chance that I read it. The only thing I recall on the subject is that somebody said on the Stratics IRC chat that some Wyr can only be slotted so many times.

We don't know the contents of each others minds but we can know what's been written. But I sincerely hope I'm wrong. If I am and you have a quote from a Simutronics employee to base it on. I would actually be very grateful because I don't want to be right.

I am 99.99% sure that *some* Wyr will be tradeable. Some Wyr will be usable only once, some will be "souldbound" some can be traded, some can be used once, and again and again for a limit of 3 times, perhaps more, perhaps less.

There will be all kinds of Wyr. "soulbinding" (such a WoW term) or "bind on pickup" and "bind on equip/use" will most likely be on some Wyr, and I am 99.99% certain it will not be on *ALL* Wyr.

~ Jaraeth

I'm not sure where I stand as a player anymore. I've been a achiever in every MMO I have played, but I have had enough of that sort of gaming, and with the types of games that encourage that kind of playstyle. I find it now to be very empty and shallow way of looking at "fun".

However, old habits are going to die hard I'm sure. I don't know if I'll actually slow down much in HJ. I might just end up grinding quests rather than grinding mobs and max out quickly, again. I hope I can slow myself down and actually enjoy myself, but I really don't know if I wiil be able to, or if I'll resort to my old habits.

I guess these are the things I'm looking for now in a game (in theory anyways)

Progression: I want to be able to "take my foot of the floorboards", so to speak, and still feel like I'm making progress in my character. If I don't I'll probably end up grinding again, and I really don't want that.

Player skill meaning something: Pretty much devoid to a extent in class/level based games, but I'd like to see my skill count for something.

Different Endgame: "Raiding" is a job that I have grown to hate in MMO's. It's a job because you are basically required to do it in order to compete, and I hate it. I'd like to see something different and actually heroic, such as some of the things I have suggested in other areas.

Fun: Probably the most important aspect of all. I want to have fun. I want to hang out with my friends and act like a dork and cut up, adventure, explore, and not feel like I "need" to log on to keep up, just merely "want" to log on because I'm having alot of fun.

Back