Years to Come

Remember, there was a time that RTS games were the hottest thing since sliced ----. Now? Nope. RTS has it's place, but it's not the flavour of the month. What about FPS? There was a time that FPS was everything. Not anymore. And it's the same with MMORPGs. People have been playing these things, and they haven't been evolving, for years and years. People are over them. We've hit the high water mark and developers are realising that these things, especially without the backing of a major publisher, are money bonfires. I doubt developers are going to be half as keen to do MMORPGs over the next five years as they have been to do them during the last five years.

Yep. That is true also.

I think i'm going to go into denial.

You know this leveling off or "people being over them" is a factor I hadn't thought about. Another factor many realize is that there are companies churning out material that just isn't up to par when compared to some of the top games that have set some really good standards.

I think peeps aren't readily swinging from game to game on a whim especially when there's a monthly fee involved. Of course there are examples that can prove that incorrect.

My experience for example in moving from SWG which had tons of career choice content (IMHO) to EQ2 which seemed to center just on quest, to CoH/CoV to GW both of which seemed to drop the "community" aspect altogether and go straight to grinding. Its like the games became boiled down to elemental ingredients.

I liked the more full aspects of my character having a home, relative 'carreer' even if it was Hunter, and still being able to participate in unrelated quest and storylines (faction stuff), and making/providing materials for others to make things with. That's a full game (again IMHO) that I can sink my teeth into for quite some time.

So if it boils down to a few good ones that offer that level of (leisurely) immersion. I say Hurrah!!!

You know, you post an awful lot like one of our TCO members. But I'm not going to do the Scooby Doo, pulling off the rubber mask reveal because I don't think you're him, messing with our minds, but damn you post like him.

Wonder if the other TCOers can figure out who you post like?

*hides*

hehe.. just kidding.

Well this is the only forum I post in and even have to take breaks from it on accout you people raise interesting stuff and my RL productivity starts to suffer so it can't be me.

I actually read the title of this post and thought it was about the release date for HJ. "Years to come." That sounds about right.

Started playing mmorpgs when I was 8 so lets see
1) Ultima Online 1 year
2) Runspace 4-5 months
3) Everquest 6months
4) SWG almost 3 years (Pre-Patch 9 Jedi why why why?)
5) Everquest II
6) Horizons 2months
7) CoH/CoV 6months
8) World of WarCrack 6months
9) Vanguard (Currently playing)
10) Hero's Journey (Patiently awaiting. .. ... .... ..... ... ...... . ..... ...)

Oh btw some of these overlap =)

Then there are about a dozen games that I have tested

Ok, I keep hearing about some deadly patch that ruined SWG forever. I've never played SWG. Can somebody explain what happened?

Well, I know they killed the classes and made it so that people could be Jedis from the start. They never should've added in Jedis... :( I was very nearly a Master Artisan, and I was no slouch when it came to Fencing, either. Also, Carbines rule!

Not entirely sure which patch did what, though. I remember trying it again after they added space flight. It was still pretty good then... Now, I wouldn't give it a second glance. Sony deserves no figgy pudding...

I spent years - literally - before the game was released, telling the devs on the dev forum that adding Jedi as a playable class was the biggest mistake they could ever make. "Oh no," they would say, "We've got it all figured out so it will be SUPER RARE to become one, and REALLY HARD to stay one..." and we all used to marvel over what kind of system they were going to introduce and, of course, once the game started, everyone just tried really hard to unlock Jedi, and then they started unlocking Jedi and, after awhile, SOE just gave up and said, "---- it, everyone can be a Jedi from the start of the game..." which wasn't only stupid in terms of the gameplay, it was extra stupid in terms of the era the game is set in.

I played Ultima Online, WoW (*shame*), and City of Heroes/Villains. I -think- I played UO longest... Atlantic server. Fell in with some crazy-ass RPers. (Howah! Gotta love orcs!)

/Bow

R.I.P. SWG@};-

Former Master TK (twice), Master Doctor, Master Dancer, Master Pistoleer all pre 9/CU/NGE and whatever else they did. Tempest/Sunrunner 4ever. I got a lotta respect for you bro.

Corbantis here... Hopefully though Heros Journey can provide another fun stable game for me because as you see, I've been switiching from game to game ever since because I cant find one that I really enjoy. If not, sadly it might be the end of my mmorpg gaming for it really has taken up a lot of my time and I really am getting tierd of it becomming a job instead of fun with online friends and guilds.

Back