2 weeks as a GM

hj-Goat

Cadet
So I promised I'd come back and post how things are going. It's a little tough because of the NDA, as you guys here already know pretty much everything that's publicly available, so I can't really provide much in the way of information nuggets.

What I can say is:

There is a ton of work to do. There is a ton of work being done every day. I've worked on other MUDs, and it's amazing to be at Simu where things are constantly being both started AND finished. This was actually surprising to me; after seeing how long it could take to get something new out in Gemstone, I can legitimately say there's a lot of progress going on.

There are some really talented people working on HJ. Some of the areas just make me go "ooooooh." Really. Artists, builders, coders (developers, egrets, fascists, gnomes, hummus, indigenous people) ... even what I've seen of the music has impressed me. My fellow "classmates" that came on board when I did are also picking things up real quickly and are clearly talented- I have to keep on top of things to keep up with them.

It's all a lot of fun. I have done most of my training so far on the world-building side of things, which I'm not specifically at HJ for (I will code). I didn't expect to enjoy it, rather, I expected that it would be somewhat frustrating. I was the kid in 3rd grade that couldn't make a straight line with a ruler, and I never got past drawing stick figures. Yet somehow because of the available tools I've made what I think is a pretty attractive area (though the "real" area-building GMs still blow me away). Our tools are helpful for both speed and infinite tinkering. If I could tell you the number of ways we can control the flicker from a torch to get it JUST right, your head might explode.

I'm sure a lot of this sounds like blathering "Go Team!" propaganda. Frankly I wouldn't blame you for thinking that. I would get sick of GMs in gemstone always patting each other on the back while saying behind the party line of "Spell//Critter/System X will be released when it's ready." But the truth is that good things are happening, and good people are working. If I didn't honestly think so I probably wouldn't have bothered to post at all.

I'm getting started on coding now, which is all kinds of exciting. I'll try to continue to give updates from within when I can.

Game Master Apprentice (GMA) Goat

Originally posted by HJ-Goat@Apr 24 2006, 12:22 AM
I'm sure a lot of this sounds like blathering "Go Team!" propaganda.
We're thankful that you posted Goat! Anything we can get at this point is like a starving person in the desert getting a few drops of water ;)

Nice post. I think I'm actually going to delete this thread, and post it as an off-site GM report. Don't want to get you in trouble though, so I'll let you make the call.

Originally posted by HJ-Goat@Apr 24 2006, 01:22 AM
There is a ton of work to do. There is a ton of work being done every day.
Hmm, so if there is a ton of work left to do, and a ton of work is done each day, that means the game will be done tomorrow. :smiley:

heh, thanks for the information.

Originally posted by deathmetal+Apr 25 2006, 04:15 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (deathmetal @ Apr 25 2006, 04:15 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-HJ-Goat@Apr 24 2006, 01:22 AM
Hmm, so if there is a ton of work left to do, and a ton of work is done each day, that means the game will be done tomorrow. :smiley:

heh, thanks for the information. [/b][/quote]
I agree, release is tommorow right?

Originally posted by deathmetal+Apr 25 2006, 04:15 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (deathmetal @ Apr 25 2006, 04:15 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-HJ-Goat@Apr 24 2006, 01:22 AM

heh, thanks for the information.[/b][/quote]
ton ( P ) Pronunciation Key (tn)
n. Abbr. t. or tn.
1 A unit of weight equal to 2,000 pounds (0.907 metric ton or 907.18 kilograms). Also called net ton, short ton.
2 A unit of weight equal to 2,240 pounds (1.016 metric tons or 1,016.05 kilograms). Also called long ton.
3 A metric ton. See table at measurement.
4 A unit of capacity for cargo in maritime shipping, normally estimated at 40 cubic feet.
5 A unit of internal capacity of a ship equal to 100 cubic feet.
6 A unit for measuring the displacement of ships, equal to 35 cubic feet, and supposed to equal the volume taken by a long ton of seawater.
7. Informal.
a. A large extent, amount, or number. Often used in the plural: has a ton of work; gets tons of fan mail.
b. Used adverbially with a or in the plural to mean “to a great degree or extent” or “frequently”: felt a ton better; has seen her tons lately.

So, yes, clever reply, but I fall behind definition 7a, and observe that one indefinitely large quantity divided by a different indefinitely large quantity results in another quantity of indefinite size. :D

:P

Back