24 vs Alias

Fortunately, I could record both, so I watched Alias. I also watch 24--and, yes, Alias is my favorite. I thought the 24 opposite Alias was very gripping. You even felt a sorry for Chappelle even though he's a jackass. (You felt pretty darn bad for Jack too . . .)
;) ✌️

Alias_Gay said:
ninja-kitty said:
Alias_Gay said:
no 24 fan here ... but believe me ... you better watch Alias ... and tape 24 ...  ;)
Ummm - what about taping Alias and then watching 24 - you can keep the Alias tape UNLESS you will be getting the Alias DVD? (y)
well, I actually tape Alias every week ... and then I watch it, re-watch it and re-watch again ... ;)
Here is my philosophy, because there are so many good movies and shows out there, you shouldn't waste your time with the same ones over and over again. Just like books. If you need to break an episode apart, this is a great place to do it. :D I watch and read most things once.

2 new episodes of 24 in a period of three days. (y) 24 is getting really good. The season started out very weak but now it is good. When Alias ends its season, there will still be a few episodes of 24 left.

dreamlancer said:
Alias_Gay said:
ninja-kitty said:
Alias_Gay said:
no 24 fan here ... but believe me ... you better watch Alias ... and tape 24 ...  ;)
Ummm - what about taping Alias and then watching 24 - you can keep the Alias tape UNLESS you will be getting the Alias DVD? (y)
well, I actually tape Alias every week ... and then I watch it, re-watch it and re-watch again ... ;)
Here is my philosophy, because there are so many good movies and shows out there, you shouldn't waste your time with the same ones over and over again. Just like books. If you need to break an episode apart, this is a great place to do it. :D I watch and read most things once.

2 new episodes of 24 in a period of three days. (y) 24 is getting really good. The season started out very weak but now it is good. When Alias ends its season, there will still be a few episodes of 24 left.
actually I am ONLY addicted to Alias ... I do watch other shows, but not as religiously as Alias ... so, I have no intention in NOT watching Alias for any other show ... ;)

and yes, there are other shows on TV that I watch ... like Cold Case, the Practice, CSI, CSI Miami, Without A Trace ... but if I don't watch them one week, I can watch them, the next ... or I can get a re-run ... but as for Alias, I watch it on Sunday, tape it ... and re-watch whenever I desire to watch it ...

I am an Alias-Freak ... what can I say ... ;)

I have to agree - I discovered Cold Case by accident - what a great show. But I digress - I like Alias better than 24 - I still can't get over what happened in the final of the first series

I like Alias better because it has more depth and resonance. However, I do like the grit and edge of 24--it's the best out-and-out thriller on TV. Sydney would never be forced to take the life of a co-worker, like Jack was--nor would she be stripped down and shocked to death (although her Jack nearly was (fortunately in a more clothed state) . . . !). It's the lengths that 24's Jack is willing to go to (I guess, sorta like our Jack) that make him a unique hero and put 24 out on the edge. But what 24 doesn't have that Alias does is the depth of character, storyline, and theme that drags you down and makes you think. I love 'em both, but I love Alias more. I don't tape and keep 24.
:D

I think Alias has better plot. In 24 all that Jack does saves his kidnapped family hten his family is kidnapped, then saved by Jack and so on and so on. Finally his wife is killed. Stupid isn'it it? I don't say I don't like 24 but Alias is definetly better. Alias has better special effects and a better love story. In 1-10 I'll give Alias-10 and 24-7.

Alias is far more multidimensional. 24 is an action flick. alias is a universe onto itself. You can watch alias on so many levels. On the one hand, you can see it just an action hour -- Syd super spy kicks ass and saves the world.

On another, you can began to take in the relationship between the various characters and start to view this as a family oriented show, twisted as it is. 24 doesn't really put too much emphasis on character relationships. The relationship between Jack and Kim is very shallowly explored, even after three whole years. Bauer is essentially the super hero with no weaknesses. Even his drug problem in S3 pretty much disappeared after like 3 hours into hte series. and that's 3 hours. A man who is addicted for like a year is able to shake it off in 3 hours.

Finally, alias has a complicated universe with many players that really influence each other. Alias comes with its own mythology, of which Rambaldi plays a significant part. There is no real mythology in 24. And of course the production value of Alias far exceeds that of 24. Watching Alias is like watching a feature film.

So in conclusion, alias rocks, and 24, though a good show, in comparison is only 2nd rate.

Xin Li

Boy, this is an apples and oranges debate here...I love both shows, though Alias is my favorite...

One show is non-stop action, focused on the ability of one Jack Bauer to save the California citizens from the plotting of evil doers...

The other show has lots of action, but is also so character and relationship driven, that it's the people that are sometimes more interesting than the plots...

So, it just depends on what you like...I like the action mixed with the relationships...but Jack Bauer is my dude...there's no one like him on TV!

I really like 24. Its fast paced and everything. I don't compare it to Alias though. That is my true love.

Both are good shows though. :thinking:

I thought Season 1 of 24 was almost as good as Alias season 1. But season 2 was not as good as alias season 2. And as bad as season 3 of Alias was, I thought 24's season 3 was weaker still.

i do'nt watch 24, simply because it looks far too similar to alias. having said that if alias didn't grace my television screen i'd probably be just as obsessive with 24, although there are no crazy syd/vaughn rollercoasters or prophecies to keep me entertained!

I thought Season 1 of 24 was almost as good as Alias season 1. But season 2 was not as good as alias season 2. And as bad as season 3 of Alias was, I thought 24's season 3 was weaker still.

I agree with you about S1 of both shows-as they were the best imo-but S2 of 24 matched S2 of ALIAS.While S3 of 24(especially from hour 15 on)blew ALIAS out of the water with ease.And i'm still an ALIAS fan first,i can just be objective about it.

ms.katejones said:
For some reason 24 never got me the way Alias did. I enjoyed all the action, but I was way more invested in the Alias characters.
[post="1036099"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I think you've hit the problem with 24 right on the head. One of the exciting things about 24 is that everything happens in 24 hours. But the problem with that is character relatinoships are NOT going to develop and evolve in 24 hours. So 24 has to rely completely on action/plot driven devices to hold viewer attention.

Alias on the other hand tends to invest a lot in the relationships. That, for many, is what makes them love alias. They really care about what happens to the characters.

Back