A Fine Line

That was a cute story on how Irina met Jack. No wonder Sydney is so proud of her parents, they had a very colorful, romantic life.

Chris

Sydney afraid of flying. That had me laughing.

Loved the story of Jack and Irina.

I'm glad Bill and Amelia accepted Sydney immediately.

I understand Sydney! This summer, during the whole plane ride to Africa all I had in mind were images of the plane crash in Lost, believe I was really stressed when we took off, landed, fly over France, the sea :lol:
Vaughn's family easily accepted Sydney ^_^ , she might later found in his mother a new one for her :smiley:

Just a question, when will he be famous? :P

Chapter 21
The week Michael spent with Sydney and his parents in California was perhaps the best week of his life. Due to unseasonably warm temperatures in their small beach town, Michael and Sydney spent almost every day at the beach, for at least part of the day, soaking up a mid-winter tan that would make all their shivering-in-the-cold New York City friends jealous. In addition to sunbathing, Sydney was educated in the lifestyle of a surfer by Michael and his father, something that was completely incomprehensible to her, being a city dweller for life. Despite the fun she had in the sand, though, Sydney decided she was definitely born to roam the concrete jungle, but California was a nice place to visit.

After spending a week relaxing in his home environment with Sydney perfectly meshing with his family (she and his mother went on an all day shopping excursion the day after Christmas), Michael knew for sure that Sydney was the one for him, always and forever. True, they had only been together for three months, but he knew from his gut feeling that she was the one. He loved loving her, especially when they were teasing each other playfully. He even loved fighting with her; he preferred arguing with her than being in a content relationship with anyone else.

Immediately after they arrived back in New York City from their Christmas holiday in California, Michael began the task of taking their relationship officially to the next step. The first thing he needed was a ring. He had no family heirlooms (at least not that he knew of) to give her, so he needed to buy one. Luckily for him, unlike most of the other women in the city (and the world practically) Sydney didn’t like diamonds. She didn’t hate them, but felt they were unoriginal since everyone wanted to have one. The gem she loved the most was the garnet.

Keeping this in mind (as well as his tight budget), Michael went in search of the perfect ring. He searched dozens of jewelers in the city but found most too pricy and some too sketchy to purchase in. Finally, he found the perfect ring for Sydney, bought it and hoped that she loved it as much as he thought she would.

The next step in his plan was asking Sydney’s father for permission to marry her. Michael had only spoken to Sydney’s father one other time since their meeting on the night On Pointe closed. He had picked up the phone when her father called and talked to her father momentarily, explaining why Sydney wasn’t at home to answer the phone. That was all, which made the task of asking his permission a bit daunting. Michael did know where Sydney’s father lived, though, because he helped her mail out her Christmas cards the previous month, which meant his plans could stay secret without him having to ask Sydney her father’s address and thus arising suspicion.

One Saturday while Sydney was teaching a ballet class at her new job which she loved, Michael took the subway all the way out to Long Island so he could go to Massapequa and speak with her father. He nervously practiced the speech he was going to give the entire ride there, but still he didn’t feel prepared, especially when he raised his hand to knock on the front door of the Bristow residence.

When Sydney’s father opened the door, Michael turned to stone as he stared into the dark eyes of the elder man. Sydney’s father’s brow furrowed, as though he was searching the depths of his mind, trying to recognize the figure in front of him. “Good afternoon, sir,” Michael finally began with a slight squeak. “I’m Michael Vaughn, your daughter’s boyfriend… we met once before at-”

“Yes the musical,” her father said with a slight nod. “What… are you doing here? Is Sydney with you?”

“No, she’s teaching, sir. I came because… because I’d like to marry your daughter, sir,” Michael said. Then he paused for a moment to judge the elder man’s reaction, but his face stood still. “I love your daughter very much, sir, and I know I don’t have much to offer her financially speaking, but I believe I can make her happy, like she makes me happy… I would, um, appreciate your blessing sir,” Michael croaked out.

“You’re still an actor?” he asked. Michael gulped and nodded slightly. “Are you acting right now?”

“Yes, I’m in a play that just started its run last week. So far reviews and ticket sales are good,” Michael told him.

“You’re planning on keeping that as a career then?” he raised an eyebrow.

“Well…yes, for the time being, but it’s not like that’s my only job – I have a few others to make as much money as I can,” Michael told him.

“Well I normally don’t approve of acting as a career,” Sydney’s father told him factually. Michael shrank. “However, my daughter speaks very highly of you. She’s been so unhappy since her mother passed… she lost the laughter from her voice, or at least, she had until she met you,” the elder man said. Michael looked up to him, slightly hopeful. “So, yes, I approve.”

“Thank you sir!” Michael said with an immense grin. After chatting for a few more minutes, Michael left, ready to plan the perfect proposal.

~*~

“Syd, you here?” Michael called when he walked into their apartment.

“Making dinner,” she responded from the kitchen. Michael walked towards the sound of her voice and immediately pulled her into a hug, kissing her sweetly. “What’s with you…?” she asked suspiciously.

“Oh nothing, nothing,” he said, goofy grin never leaving his face. “But I did find something interesting on the subway on my way home.”

“A dead body?” Sydney suggested half-heartedly.

“Uh… no. This,” he smiled, holding out a blue flyer.

Sydney took it from him and read it slowly. After scanning the page twice she looked up to him and asked, “Auditions for Cinderella? Gonna try your hand at being a girl next?”

“Ha. Ha,” Michael rolled his eyes. “Syd this is for you!”

“Me?!”

“Yes you! You’re the one that said you wanted to be in Cinderella well hello,” he said, waving the paper at her, “this is your chance! It’s an open audition for the revival of Cinderella the musical. You’d be perfect for it!”

“I dunno…,” Sydney said slowly. “I mean, I have my thing at Julliard…I can’t just quit – they need me.”

“But this would be in the summer,” he enticed with a smile. Still, she looked skeptical. “Okay, okay, just promise me you’ll consider it?”

“Promise,” she sighed.

By the time they were finished with dinner, any thoughts of Cinderella had disappeared, at least from Michael’s mind. He was going full speed ahead with the proposal. While Sydney was taking her turn in the bathroom as they got ready for bed that evening, he set everything up perfectly. Then, when she was done, they switched. He brushed his teeth at lightening speed and emerged from the bathroom just in time to see Sydney drawing back the covers of their bed, where, neatly placed atop her pillow, was the ring box, open and displaying the garnet ring with white gold inside.

Upon seeing the ring, Sydney gasped slightly and stared at it for a solid minute before turning around slowly to see Michael approaching her. “Syd,” he began. “I love you, I love you so much. I know we kinda had a rocky start, but I think that’s what made us so great. I mean, I love the way I can tease you and insult you and we can take shots at each other. I can call you ugly or fat or stupid and it doesn’t matter because it’s just the way we are and I love that…,” he paused to examine the strange expression on her face.

“Oh my god…,” she sighed. “I can’t believe you just insulted me in a marriage proposal…”

“See that’s exactly what I mean!” Michael exclaimed. “I can insult you and still have hope that you’ll say yes. Sydney,” he said, reaching out for her hand, “I love you and I want to be with you until we’re old and grey so I can tell you how your face looks like an old prune,” he smiled as she laughed softly and covered her eyes with her free hand, “so will you marry me?”

“Yeah I’ll marry ya, you jerk,” she told him. He laughed and pulled her into a hug and a kiss. “Oh my god,” she sighed into his shoulder. “I can’t believe this I’m so… so… shocked!”

“That’s good… but just to be sure that’s a good shocked, right?” he asked slowly.

She nodded saying, “Definitely good,” before pulling him down onto their bed.

awww how cute! awwww I just love Michael! Can't wait for more! now I'm off to read your other story! you are just a story machine....and I like it!

One Saturday while Sydney was teaching a ballet class at her new job which she loved, Michael took the subway all the way out to Long Island so he could go to Massapequa and speak with her father. He nervously practiced the speech he was going to give the entire ride there, but still he didn’t feel prepared, especially when he raised his hand to knock on the front door of the Bristow residence.

OK.. being the NY'er I am.. i have to comment.

The subway doesn't go all the way out to Long Island. The subways go as far as Bronx, Brooklyn or Queens.
People going to LI use the Long Island Rail Road from Penn Station.. Massapequa is on the Babylon branch.. my branch!! haha.

sorry, sorry.. I just had to correct that. :smiley:

“Syd,” he began. “I love you, I love you so much. I know we kinda had a rocky start, but I think that’s what made us so great. I mean, I love the way I can tease you and insult you and we can take shots at each other. I can call you ugly or fat or stupid and it doesn’t matter because it’s just the way we are and I love that…,” he paused to examine the strange expression on her face.

“Oh my god…,” she sighed. “I can’t believe you just insulted me in a marriage proposal…”

“See that’s exactly what I mean!” Michael exclaimed. “I can insult you and still have hope that you’ll say yes. Sydney,” he said, reaching out for her hand, “I love you and I want to be with you until we’re old and grey so I can tell you how your face looks like an old prune,” he smiled as she laughed softly and covered her eyes with her free hand, “so will you marry me?”

“Yeah I’ll marry ya, you jerk,” she told him.

OMG I can't belive he called her ugly and she called me jerk :lol: Although, no wait.... that's completely normal for their messed up relationship :lol:

And they're going to get married :woot: YAYNESS!!!

OK.. being the NY'er I am.. i have to comment.

The subway doesn't go all the way out to Long Island. The subways go as far as Bronx, Brooklyn or Queens.
People going to LI use the Long Island Rail Road from Penn Station.. Massapequa is on the Babylon branch.. my branch!! haha.

sorry, sorry.. I just had to correct that. :smiley:
oh okay... sorry i know nothing about how that stuff works :blush:

Back