ABCBR General Chat

Morning' all.

How was the weekend?
Mike's family is in town so we all had dinner Saturday.

Been a little on the tired side last week and it carried through the weekend... baby must be zappin' the energy.

:angry: Yeah, if you're like me, your energy will kick in about the 8th month, when you start nesting. And then you won't even realize you ARE nesting. I totally didn't. They ended up putting me on bedrest the last month due to preeclampsia (not to scare you - I was just WAY overdoing things and my bp was up). Gary was like "why are you surprised? You get up go to work and you don't stop when you get home until like 10 or 11. You've washed EVERYTHING possible and arranged/rearranged the baby's room like 10 times, you need to stop!" It was pretty funny! He was actually telling me to stop cleaning! Imagine, my anal-retentive-neat-freak-husband was telling me to stop CLEANING!!! So, then after they put me on bed rest (not total - just that I needed to not be up and going ALL THE TIME), I'd wake up at the same time he did and fix him an awesome b'fast. EVERY FREAKIN' DAY FOR A MONTH!!!!! Seriously! I told him 'don't get used to this'. Eggs, biscuits, ham/bacon. Whatever he wanted. I remember fixing pancakes one morning. I think he loved me pregnant. I didn't really have the hormone swings like some. And I wasn't sick like some. I had a hard time afterwards though. Anyway, hope you're feeling better!

I didn't get to see Transformers :angry:. I watched "Surf's Up" instead. Couldn't make arrangements. Which is another story. I love my mother, but she drives me crazy. I WILL see that movie in the THEATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How was everyone else's?

I have now put Transformers on the list of movies to see. Everyone keeps raving about the preview for the secret JJ Abrams movie that they've shown right before Transformers.

I actually didn't accomplish anythign this weekend. I started with 2 problems I wanted to fix and ended with 2 problems not fixed. Damn baby shower. Ugh!

Trust me, I could've held Big Bird and ALL his brothers and sisters in this nest. I cleaned the house EVERY WEEK from top to bottom (like you would spring cleaning wise) the last 2 months of my pregnancy! I think that was my body's way of telling me 'you won't be able to do this after the baby comes! Cause I didn't clean like that again until 6 months AFTER the baby was born. It was crazy! And like I said, I didn't even realize I was doing it!

Yeah, Lisa, when's the shower? Were you out working on it AGAIN this weekend? Tasting things? Fudge this time?

Jules, you feeling well?

The Shower is Sunday and yest I was out working on it againthis weekend. It's my fault though, I don't know how to delegate and I can never just make it simple. It's not complicated, but people will think it is.

Yeah, but then when you deligate, someone else's 'vision' of your idea is NEVER the same as YOUR vision for your idea. I mean, I can totally see why you wouldn't want to deligate. I've done the same thing.

My gf here at work and I put on a bridal shower for another girl at work. And we decided we wanted it sorta fancy. So we used her silver and crystal. Which she said she'd never gotten to use since her wedding. Anyway, we had mimosas and the whole nine. It was tres' elegant. The bride to be felt very special. And it really wasn't that hard to do. But, it's all in the presentation... I can totally see why it's taken you so long. And, you want it to be remembered..... for good reasons.

Yep... mostly because the parents-to-be and grandma have been a giant pain in my rear so I want to stick it to then (it's my aunt and cousin-so I'm being pretty vicious with my revenge). And I am using the shower as a marketing opportunity also.

There's a lot of people attending and since I am doing a modified tea party, I am having trouble getting tea cups for everyone. I think I am going to end up renting, but I was seriously trying to avoid doing that.
I was hoping not to do disposable either, but again, too pricey. So my tea service will be the focal point of my table. I've got a silver samovar and accesories and I want fancy teacups and saucers.

I tend to believe that people think small when it comes to these things, mostly out of laziness. However, with a little creativity and a little elbow grease, you can take ordinary to extraordinary.

Hey I am going to copyright that last sentence.

oooooo, good idea Jules! Definately take pics.

Lisa, this sounds tacky, but was the bride's request, and I was told by a guest that it was VERY nice....

The bride at a bridal shower asked that the guests' gift for that shower be a teacup/saucer. Could be any. The bride said that she loved antiques and that they didn't have to match, and that if they had a story to go with the cup/saucer, even better. So, every guest brought a teacup and saucer. The guest I knew was terribly close to the groom's family. She brought a teacup and saucer that was given to HER from the groom's gma. (I think she brought a set of 4, but used the one that day) and the bride actually cried when the guest told her that! It meant more to her since it was something of the groom's g'mas, whom she'd never met. She got ALL sorts of antique teacups and saucers. I'd actually seen an article in Martha Stewart about mixing and matching service ware in such a way. It's better if they have something in common, like a certain color, but don't have to be. Especially if they are the only surviving piece from a cherished relative/friend's service.

And, this friend also went to a baby shower where they got an antique pram and used it as the center piece. instead of a gift table, that is where all the gifts went. Those things are pretty massive, that it held ALOT of the gifts, just not the HUGE ones. Plus, since it was a pram, it added a lot of class to the occassion. (My friend and I are BIG into antiques.)

I went to a shower, where instead of cake, they served cupcakes in blue, pink, yellow and green icing (the mom didn't know the sex). And instead of a cake platter, they set up the alphabet blocks on the table to make different heights, and set a cupcake on different layers of the blocks. It was very cute. Given that none of the above was done by professionals.

I like different. I really want to see some pics! You are SO creative!

ETA: Maybe that saying should go on some part of your letterhead/business card or something. Maybe like in the contract. That would be very nice.

I am doing cupcakes and using blocks to decorate for the most part. I delegated the sandwiches and trust me I am getting agita just thinking about the fact that they may not be done the way I envision. I don't know how many times I've said, please make sure the sandwiches are cut in either fingers or triangles. I feel like a micro managing nag. I'm sure I'm going to have a breakdown on Sunday. I just know it.

Well I can't ask guests to bring that stuff now, but that is a good idea. Since simplicity is key for me here, I need things to be uniform as much as possible.

Back