Politics Abortion Poll: #2

Abortion #2

• I am against abortion: female (with strong religious beliefs)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am against abortion: male (with strong religious beliefs)

• I am against abortion: female (with little to no religious beliefs)

• I am against abortion: male (with little to no religious beliefs)

• I am pro-choice: female (with strong religious beliefs)

• I am pro-choice: male (with strong religious beliefs)

• I am pro- choice: female (with little to no religious beliefs)

• I am pro- choice: male (with little to no religious beliefs)

• I only believe in abortion in circumstances such as rape and incest: female

• I only believe in abortion in circumstances such as rape and incest: male

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Without going into detail, because I can and will argue this topic into the ground. I'm very strongly pro-choice. I'm not a religious person, but I've taken a few classes in theology.

the_alliance said:
men do not support pro-life because we want women to suffer.

here's an example. in the case of lacy peterson, how come her husband might be charged with double murder if the baby wasn't born yet? wouldn't that just be like having an abortion?
Maybe men are not always pro-life because it's not their body. Does a man really have a place in telling women what they should and should not be able to do?

Also, in Laci Peterson's case the baby was clearly very developed and I'm not 100% sure but I think the baby mey have been birthed at some point. I believe the baby's body was found seperately from Laci, and had it been born in a hospital, would have lived, etc. just like many premature babies do. In every case of abortion (excluding extreme cases that endanger the mother occur) the operation is preformed early on in the pregnancy, before the fetus is fully developed. I hope that clears that up.

Also, that brings up a whole other abortion issue to think about. When does a fetus become a baby?

Some say at the time of conception, making abortion murder. However, that leads to other ethical questions in medicine. Is it then not alright to use embryos for testing in medical science? For instance, trying to cure Parkinson's or other neurological diseases? Is this also murder, just like some believe abortion to be? That might be something to bring up in your paper.

Or does a fetus become a human after it develops fingers, or toes, or what? Scenario: a woman has an abortion 3 weeks into a pregnancy.
Scenario: a woman gives birth 3 weeks into a pregnancy.
Is that baby developed enough to live? Is it a human child yet? Will it think, or cry, or eat? No, it is a miscarraige because the FETUS was not developed at all.

This stuff is all a bit deeper than just the poll, but if you or anyone is doing a paper it could be something to think about.

i think a fetus becomes a baby when it develops a form of a heart and brain (which is around 4 weeks old, when the woman finds out that she is pregnant)

I'm bumping this thread up...anyone else want to vote in this? I already voted saying I'm Female (of course) and Pro-Choice...and nope, i'm not religious.

I voted pro-choice. Unfortunately, life is not as black and white as being able to say what should happen (ie EVERY woman who becomes pregnant should be made to have the baby.). Every situation is different. I am a little older than a lot of you guys, and have been involved in situations where I've really had to think about this.

For example, when my best friend was 23 she was raped.

Another situation is when contraceptives aren't 100% effective. If people are actively trying not to get pregnant, it's not fair to say to them, "you made the baby you give birth to it."

No matter how actively a man particiaptes in the life of his partner and child, it is always going to be a much bigger sacrifice for the woman. Some women find they simply aren't able to do this.

My parents are currently on a posting in India, and I have seen so many desperately sick and horribly deformed children there, living in the gutter, barely able to function. It really makes me wonder about value of life in some situations.

I think that if a lot of people put themselves in a situation where they found they were pregnant, but they also realised there was no way they could have this baby, their opinions would be a little bit different.

I am pro-choice female with strong religious beliefs. I am Roman Catholic. I think that though abortion is wrong, it is the woman's choice to do what she wants, as it is her body and her baby.

ok all im gonna say is im against abortion cuz this is a baby we're talking about. it may not be born but it has a life and that's like murder.

I'm pro-choice w/strong religious beliefs. I'm Catholic but I'm also working in the medical field and I believe that abortion can be done therapeutically--that is, when the life of the mother or the baby is at stake.

While I've always thought that even victims of abuse (rape/incest) should go ahead with the pregnancy and can put up the baby for adoption if they want, I will respect their decision of terminating their pregnancy because, I can't truly understand what they have been thru unless I'm in a similar position.

i really dont see why people see abortion as a method of birth control. i can see that if the mother's life would be in danger if the pregnancy was carried through then it would be logical to risk an abortion, but just as birth control, why would anyone put their life at risk just to get rid of an accidental pregnancy. you have a better chance of living if you just had the baby.

my two cents.

cuz i mean, people are like "omg! you are so conservative. just cuz ur not a woman doesn't mean that women should suffer because of people like you." its funny actually, liberals call me conservative and conservatives call me liberal. i guess i should be happy that i have taken the Middle Path of moderation.

i am pro-choice because i believe a woman has a right to decide. it's her body, it's her decision. however, i don't like it when a couple have "intercourse" and then abort repeatedly. that's just not right. either use protection or make a choice on whether you want a kid or not. i actually know a couple who do this and it just disgusts me.

While I respect that many people oppose abortion because of religious beliefs, I'd just like to say that laws and regulations cannot be made determined by religion.

For example, in the Hindu religion, men are expected to have a son to light their funeral pyre, or else they will not go to Heaven (or their equivalent of Heaven). For this reason, female babies are aborted constantly. I think the Hindus treat women appallingly, but it's an example of religious regimes should never govern people. It is also proof that different religions have different ideas, and so in making decisions for people of many religions, no one religion should be held up as the correct one.

I find it upsetting when people say rape victims should have to have the baby. It's not as simple as just having the baby and giving it away. Apart from anything else, pregnancy has a huge impact on at least a year of a person's life. What about teenage rape victims who are still at school? Do they go to school pregnant and put up with all the distress that goes with that? They then give the baby away and spend the rest of their lives knowing that their rapist's child is out there somewhere.

As I said in my last post, I used to have more clearly cut views on this, but then things in my life happened, and I realised it's impossible to be idealistic about a situation like this.

I don't think there are many people in the world who use abortion as a contraceptive, but contraceptives sometimes don't work. What if the couple is in no position to be having children?

Anyway, I got involved in a huge debate on this somewhere else, and everybody got upset, so I think I'll leave it at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back