All You Need is One

SkyGirl5

Cadet
:hi:
Ok guys, I gotta say that I really love this fic. It so much fun and if i do say so myself, Michael's sister, Jess, has a few hysterical lines in it :smiley:

Title: All You Need is One
Genre: A/V AU College-age mostly fluff with a lttle angst for good measure
Summary: Sydney and Jessica Vaughn have been best friends since forever. Over spring break, Michael Vaughn might just become more than Jessica's dorky older brother, that is if Sydney is brave enough to admit her true feelings for him.

50 Chapter + Epilogue
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chapter 1 (below) Chapter 2 Chapter 3 Chapter 4 Chapter 5 Chapter 6 Chapter 7 Chapter 8
Chapter 9 Chapter 10 Chapter 11 Chapter 12 Chapter 13 Chapter 14 Chapter 15 Chapter 16
Chapter 17 Chapter 18 Chapter 19 Chapter 20 Chapter 21 Chapter 22 Chapter 23 Chapter 24
Chapter 25 Chapter 26 Chapter 27 Chapter 28 Chapter 29 Chapter 30 Chapter 31 Chapter 32
Chapter 33 Chapter 34 Chapter 35 Chapter 36 Chapter 37 Chapter 38 Chapter 39 Chapter 40
Chapter 41 Chapter 42 Chapter 43 Chapter 44 Chapter 45 Chapter 46 Chapter 47 Chapter 48 & 49
Chapter 50 + Epilogue

Chapter 1

“But Mooooooom,” Jessica Vaughn whined. She sounded more and more like a bratty three-year-old with each passing second. Bratty, she was; three, she was not. “Why does Michael have to come with us?! He’s going to ruin our spring break with his stupid… nerdness.”

“Yeah, because that’s a word,” Jessica’s elder brother, Michael, muttered from his position against the wall. Jessica shot him an unappreciative glare before turning her soft green, puppy dog-esque eyes back to her mother. She clasped her hands in front of her chin, begging her mother to reconsider.

“I’m sorry Jessica, but that’s the way it is,” her mother, Amelia, said simply. “Either Michael accompanies you and Sydney to the beach for Spring Break or you don’t go at all; those are the rules.”

“Moooooooom,” Jessica groaned again, this time pouting with her arms folded over her chest. “I’m eighteen and you can’t control me now, remember?!”

“Actually, I can,” Amelia said with a proud smile. Jessica gave her an indignant look. “Jessica Lee, I pay for your college, I put a roof over your head, I feed you and clothe you; you are my daughter and you’ve only been eighteen for four months!” she listed. “Not to mention the fact that the beach house you so desperately begged to go to belongs to your aunt and she gave me permission to lay out any rules I deemed necessary. I don’t want you and Sydney there by yourselves and neither does Sydney’s father. Michael is going with you and that is final. Take it or leave it.”

For a solid moment Jessica stared blankly at her mother, weighing the options of a week with her annoying brother versus being stuck in no-where’s-ville while all her friends were getting tans. “Fine,” she groaned. “But he can’t hang out with us!”

“Like I’d want to,” Michael grumbled loud enough for his sister to hear. She made a face at him and he made one right back at her.

“Ugh, jerk. Come on Sydney, help me finish packing,” Jessica said. Then, she grabbed the hand of her friend, who was standing behind her, and stalked up the stairs to her bedroom.

“Jess, you’re making too big a deal outta this,” Sydney sighed. Her comment was rather fruitless, though. Of course Jess was making a big deal out of this. After all, she was Jess. Sydney knew all too well her friend’s spoiled brat-like tendencies, having been at the receiving end of many of them over their eight-year friendship.

Sydney Bristow met her seemingly life long best friend on the very first day of seventh grade. The two of them were seated next to each other in science class and they quickly bonded over their mutual hatred for the Nazi-like Mrs. Kim, their teacher. They were similar in some ways, like their joint appreciation for being socially well off, yet drastically different in others. For example, while Sydney was an only child, she was far from being as spoiled or bratty as Jess was. The reason Sydney was more pure of heart than her friend stemmed mostly from the fact that she had lost her mother at a very young age. Her father was not a very prominent figure in her life, meaning she had to spend a lot of time alone and thus had no one to pout to when she wanted to get her way.

As soon as they entered high school, Sydney and Jess climbed the social ladder together, becoming two of the most popular girls in the entire school by their sophomore year. Their popularity had absolutely nothing to do with the fact that Jess’s older brother (two years older by age, but only one grade above the two girls), Michael, attended the same school. Michael was located at the complete other end of the social spectrum from his sister because of his nerdy (in her view) and overly smart persona. While Jess was a very intelligent girl (she had skipped the first grade because of her smarts), her lack of ability, or perhaps willingness, to apply herself or make any sort of effort academically left her with a B minus average instead of anything higher. Because she favored social hierarchy over academic success, she found her brother to be… well, she treated him as though he had the plague.

Once Jess and Sydney graduated, their social status faltered slightly. For starters, they attended the same university as Michael, Penn State; there, with a population of forty thousand plus students, it was impossible for any one person or even handful of persons to become well known. Also, Sydney shied away from becoming too attracted to the social, party-hearty scene, knowing that in higher education, grades actually mattered and determined one’s future. Unlike Jess, Sydney had to work hard to get a B average, which left little time to party since she was studying many nights and almost all the weekends. Jess, not wanting to do something without her best friend (something she seemed entirely incapable of considering their attached-at-the-hip status), was stuck following in Sydney’s gradually studious footsteps.

“Big deal?! Of course this is a big deal!” Jess exclaimed as she violently began slamming her clothes into the two duffle bags on her bed. “This is Spring Break. It’s like the biggest deal ever.”

“Yeah, maybe in Florida, but we’re going to the Jersey shore,” Sydney pointed out.

Jess grumbled under her breath. “Unfortunately… that’s because Daddy wouldn’t let us go to Daytona Beach…”

Because of Sydney’s lack of parental presence in her life, over the eight years she had known the Vaughn’s, they had become like surrogate parents to her and treated her like a second daughter. “Well… yeah… it doesn’t do you much good unless you’re twenty-one and we aren’t,” Sydney reminded her. While she was a year (almost two) older than Jess, she still had time left before reaching that golden mark in her life.

Slowly, Jess turned to Sydney as her face lit up. “Oh my god!” she squealed. Sydney gave her an utterly perplexed look. “Michael is twenty-one! He can buy us beer!” she exclaimed. “See, I knew I thought of bringing him for a good reason,” she giggled happily.

At her comment, Sydney resisted the extreme urge to smack herself in the forehead. Sometimes Jess’s idiocy shocked her, especially since Jess was such a smart person (when she wanted to be). Sighing, Sydney flopped down onto her friend’s yellow-clad bed; it was going to be a long five days stranded at the beach with no one but the Vaughn siblings, who would inevitably bicker non-stop.

OMG college + MV +SB + beach + JAnet's brain= totally awesome fic
omg so cannot wait for this to get rolling
Jess is funny
i love it

okay the whole jessica being cool and michael being dorky reminds me of Monica and Ross in friends.
But jessica looks more like a Rachel to me. :lol:

i love Jessicas name. JESSICA VAUGHN! its me. :D. actually no...cause then i would be his sister, not his wife. but still...love the first name.

this fic. seems funny. i can;t wait for more :smiley:

Jess is hilarious...They haven't even finished packing yet and I can tell this is gonna be funny.

Side note: 50 CHAPTERS!!!! That's great...its gonna be good and long, can't wait.
Thanks for the pm.

Back