Be Still My Heart

Title: Be Still My Heart
Author: Me *Katy*
Summary: Everyone was there, everyone but him.
Rating: PG-13
Spoilers: The Telling, AU
Genre: It’s angst.
Author’s Note: I have NO idea where this idea came from, but it wouldn't leave me alone, and I ended up writing all three parts in like.. two hours.

It's a little darker than the majority of fics, but I am a firm believer in happy endings. Keep that in mind. :smiley:

Hope you enjoy. :D

[1/3]

Sydney’s heavy eyelids snapped open. She blinked twice, trying to adjust to the dark lightening in the ... wherever she was.

Sydney attempted to stand up, but her weak legs gave out beneath her and she collapsed onto the cold concrete. Taking this opportunity, she looked around. Sydney recognized that she was in an alley, most likely Hong Kong, by the street signs and dialect of the people passing by on the sidewalk.

Using all of her strength, she pushed herself up, her hands cracking as she used them for support against the ground.

Sydney stumbled for a moment, but finally got enough composure that she could shuffle to the payphone on the corner.

After a talk with the always arrogant Kendall, she was told to go to the nearby safe house to wait for someone.

She had to stop several time to catch her breath, but Sydney finally made it to the safe house. A petite Asian woman directed her towards a small room and gave her a fresh set of clothes.

For the first time, Sydney noticed that she was wearing dirty, torn, grimy clothes.

Allowing herself a small smile, she gave her thanks to the woman, before walking into her room. Sydney knew she didn’t have the strength to stand for a shower, so she ran the bath water. Her muscles relaxed as she slipped into the warm, clean water.

She wasn’t sure how long she stayed in there, but by the time she emerged from the bathroom in her new clothing, her father was there, sitting on the hard mattress in the corner.

“Daddy,” she choked out. Jack spun around at the sound of her voice, running towards her and wrapping her into a tight hug.

“Oh my god, Sweetheart, you’re alive,” he whispered, more to himself than to her. Sydney had tears running down her cheeks, as did Jack. Sydney knew that this was the first time she had ever seen him cry, and truthfully, it scared her even more than she already was.

“Daddy, what happened?” she demanded, pulling back to look into his dark eyes.

Jack took a deep breath, “You should sit.” He told her, as he motioned to the spot on the bed where he had occupied minutes earlier.

Sydney looked at him strangely, before sitting down. Her big brown eyes, filled with fear, were nearly his undoing, as he pulled a metal chair across the room and sat down across from her.

“Sydney...” Jack started solemnly, “What is the last thing you remember?”

Sydney’s brow furrowed as she told him, “Fighting with Allison... then passing out...” she told him, before whispered, “Daddy, what is it? What happened?”

Jack couldn’t meet her eyes as he told her, “Sydney, since that night... since that night,” he paused, “Honey, you’ve been missing for two years. We thought you were dead.” Jack said, his heart breaking all over as she took a strangled gasp and began to cry.

Not knowing what else to do, he pulled her into his arms and held his daughter for the first time in over two years.

Once the sobs had lessened, and Sydney had calmed, Jack began to explain what had happened. Sydney interrupted him, a thought occurring to her.

“Where’s Vaughn?” she demanded to know. “Is he... is he alive?” she choked out. Jack sighed, wanting to avoid that subject as long as possible. “Daddy?”

“He’s alive.” Jack finally revealed. Sydney allowed herself a breath of relief. “I, I think it would be better if we didn’t talk about Vaughn right now.” Jack tried to change the subject. Sydney’s brow furrowed deeper, as she eyed him with curiosity and fear. “Sydney, just... let it drop for now. Please.” Jack pleaded with her. Sydney nodded slightly, her eyes dropping to the floor.

Sydney and Jack caught the first flight back to LA. She was immediately greeted by several shocked faces - Weiss, Marshall, Dixon, even Kendall, but the man that mattered the most wasn’t there. Her curiosity to know what the hell he was up too grew even more.

Once things settled back down, and the longest de-brief known to man was over, Sydney was free to go, with the orders that she was to report back to headquarters the next day to meet with Dr. Barnet.

Jack drove Sydney to his house, since her house had been burned down two years prior.

“You can stay as long as you need,” Jack told her softly, leading her to the bedroom that she occupied as a child.

Sydney nodded absently, her mind was swimming with thoughts and she couldn’t sort them out. She had been missing for two years. Everything had changed. Vaughn was no where to be found. She had no idea where she had been for two years, what she had done.

Falling down on the bed, Sydney stared up at the ceiling, allowing one single tear to fall from her eyelid.

Jack kissed her forehead softly, “I have to go do something, but I should be back within an hour.” Sydney barely acknowledged him as he walked out of the room.

Jack had to lean against the wall for support as he exited her room. His baby girl was alive. Taking a deep breath, he prepared himself for what he had to do next.

Jack pounded on the apartment door, knowing no one would answer, but trying anyways. After a minute, he fished the worn key out of his pocket and let himself in. The smell of alcohol overwhelmed him as he walked through the living room.

“Jack, what are you doing here?” He slurred.

Jack sighed; it never got easier to see him like this. “Michael, you have to stop doing this to yourself,” Jack said this every time he saw the younger man, but he never listened. Jack immediately took the whiskey bottle from his hands, pouring the sour liquid down the drain of the sink.

When he walked back to the living room, Vaughn was already passed out on the couch, a distressed look on his shallow, sunk-in face.

Jack sighed once more, searching through the apartment for any alcohol he could find and getting rid of it.

He took one last look at the passed out man in the apartment, before leaving with a defeated look upon his face.

:thinking:

Really interesting start...:smiley:

At least he isn't married. Jack needs to tell him Syd's back or tell Syd the truth of what's going on with Vaughn. They can help each other

Please keep PMing me when you post more

So Vaughn isn't married, just drinking himself to death. And it appears Jack is trying to look after him. I hope Jack tells Vaughn soon that Sydney is alive. That's the only thing that will sober up the younger man.

Thanks for the PM.

Chris

thanks for the pm
i like it well the story so far anyway
i can't wait to see what happends next chapter
please update soon
and continue to pm me please
thanks

luv Chicketepee :seehearspeak:

Back