Cast No Shadow S/V

Chapter 71: Will’s Wild World of Wherefore?

“I keep the subject of my inquiry constantly before me, and wait till the first dawning opens gradually, by little and little, into a full and clear light.” – Isaac Newton

“Weary the path that does not challenge. Doubt is an incentive to truth and patient inquiry leadeth the way.” – Hosea Ballou

“Basic research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing.” – Wernher von Braun

“Research is the process of going up alleys to see if they are blind.” – Marston Bates

Sydney left her father’s office and went straight to Will’s desk. Or she would have, had she not run in to Marshall on the way over.
“Syd!” Marshall said happily.
Sydney smiled, “Hey Marshall, how’s it going?”
”It’s going well…well…as well as can be expected…we all miss you.”
”That’s nice of you to say Marshall.”
”And Vaughn! We miss Vaughn too! Don’t want you to think we don’t miss him too…”
”I’ll tell him Marshall.”
”So what are you doing here?”
”Oh, I had a few hours to kill, so I thought I’d check in and see what was going on.”
”Oh…that’s funny you should say that, I was wondering what you’d be doing…I mean…I could guess of course…but…well…anyway…I should go…”
“No, it’s ok…speaking of which, how are things going with you and Carrie?”
Marshall blushed instantly, looking down at the floor, “Uh…well…it’s fine…I mean…it’s…uh…I have a project…”
Sydney smiled, “Ok Marshall, it was nice to see you…good luck…”
”Thanks, you too Syd…nice of you to drop by…I’ve got to go,” he said abruptly leaving the conversation.
She smiled as she watched him go, thinking of how sweet he and Carrie were.
She continued on her way until she reached Will’s desk. He had his back to her, and he was bent over the screen, studying something intently.
“Hey,” she said.
He jumped, “Oh God! HEY!” he said getting up and giving her a hug, “What are you doing here?” His face turned to concern, “Is Vaughn ok?”
”Yeah,” she said smiling at his worried glances, “His mom is with him…”
”Cool…so you can come out and play, huh?”
”Yeah – something like that…actually I just stopped by to see what’s been going on, but my dad gave me these files, he said you were the go-to guy.”
Will blushed, smirking, “Yeah…I guess you could say that…”
Sydney smiled back, “I’m proud of you…”
”Thanks,” he said, his smirk turning into a full blown smile.
“So…what do I need to do with these?”
Will grabbed the files and motioned for her to sit down in a chair next to his desk. He opened the top file folder, “Basically, you’ll be gathering information on all the people in these files. This is all the intel that records has about them. You’re job is to compile the data and then try to find any links. I’ve got it worked out so you can log on to the computer system at home. Once you’re ready to start, one of the IT guys will come over and set it up.”
”Vaughn’s got a lab top too…”
“Great, then he can help too…”
”Yeah, I think it’ll be good for him.”
”I would think so…”
Sydney smiled, “That it?”
”Yeah, pretty much, once these are complied, they’ll be a new stack.”
”What is this all for? Why are we compiling this?”
Will smiled, “Well…it’s kinda under the table. Kendall thinks were just updating records, but I’ve selected these people because their known associates of Sloane and the Alliance. So…you’re really doing work to figure out where he is and what he’s been up to.”
Sydney smiled, “You’re great Will!” She reached out and hugged him.
He eagerly hugged her back, “Well, I wanted to help and I didn’t really know how to do it…plus, I’m still trying to make up for the whole Dr. Tom incident.”
”Stop worrying about it…it’s already forgiven Will.”
”I know…I just wanted to do something…”
”Well…thanks…for both of us…”
”You bet.”
”Well, I’m gonna go…I’ll see you later at home?”
”Yup…”
”Ok,” with that, Sydney got up and started to walk down the corridor that would lead to her car.
She passed her father, saying goodbye and said goodbye to Kendall as well, who smiled his understanding as she passed.
She rounded the corner that would lead to the elevator, pressed the button to go down and waited. She opened the top file, perusing some of the information when the bell dinged for the elevator doors to open.
They parted and Sydney stepped inside, oblivious to her surroundings.
The doors closed and Sydney reached out to push the button for the parking garage.
She reached out to press the button when she heard, “Hello Sydney…”
She jumped turning around instantly.
“Jesus! You scared the felgercarb out of me!”
”Sorry…”

Chapter 72: Elevator Chatter

“Said a philosopher to a street sweeper, ‘I pity you. Yours is a hard and dirty task.’ And the street sweeper said, ‘Thank you, sir. But tell me what is your task?’ And the philosopher answered saying, ‘I study man’s mind, his deeds and his desires.’ Then the street sweeper went on with his sweeping and said with a smile, ‘I pity you too.’” – Kahlil Gibran

“The mainspring of creativity appears to be the same tendency which we discover so deeply as the curative force in psychotherapy, man's tendency to actualize himself, to become his potentialities. By this I mean the organic and human life, the urge to expand, extend, develop, mature - the tendency to express and activate all the capacities of the organism, or the self.” – Carl Rogers

“That’s ok…I wasn’t really paying attention to what I was doing,” Sydney said, closing the file folder.
“How is everything going?”
”It’s going well actually…we have bumps in the road of course, but…overall, I think it’s going quite well.”
”I thought it would…and you? How are you doing?”
”I’m fine,” Sydney said quickly.
Dr. Barnett smiled knowingly, “Hmm…”
”What?” Sydney asked.
“Do you have a few minutes?”
”Uh…well…”
”I would really like to figure out a time when it would be suitable for me to see Agent Vaughn.”
”Oh, yeah…sure…I’ve got a few minutes for that.”
They waited in silence for the elevator to reach Dr. Barnett’s floor and then they got out of the elevator. Sydney followed her to her office.
Sydney sat down in the chair across from Dr. Barnett’s desk as she got out her appointment book to write down the time.
“So…what day would work best for you?” she asked looking over to Sydney.
”Well…any day really…we’re always home, so any day would work…”
”How about sometime later this week…how does Friday sound?”
Sydney thought a moment about a date that near, it was Wednesday already, “Well…yeah…I guess that would work…does it have to be this week?”
Dr. Barnett looked over at her, “Well, no…is there something I should know about?”
Sydney tried to chose her words carefully, “No, it’s just this has been a hard week for Vaughn.”
”Why?”
”Well…it started off good, but it went down hill from there…he had a small set back, overdid it…got sick…”
”Oh…”
“It wasn’t anything terribly bad…” Sydney said backpedaling.
“What happened exactly?”
Sydney sighed, “Well…he overdid it one day and that night he got a fever. He was pretty delirious for that night. He had a nightmare…and actually he fell out of the bed…”
Dr. Barnett raised her eyebrows, “I see…so it was physically taxing on him then?”
Sydney smiled; she knew what Barnett was trying to get her to say, “Look, he had a bad night and a subsequent bad morning. We made a mistake, and yes, it was physically taxing on him, but it was emotionally as well.”
”I thought as much.”
”So, what…is one mistake really that important to you?”
”One mistake can make all the difference Sydney, especially with someone in such a delicate state.”
”What do you mean delicate state?”
”He’s physically and emotionally injured Sydney…you of all people should know what emotional torment can do to a person.”
“Vaughn is fine…” Sydney said, but even she didn’t think she sounded very convincing.
”I’m sure he is…I don’t mean to scare you…he’s not on the verge of a breakdown or anything, is he?”
There was a pause, “No,” Sydney said.
Barnett raised her head further, waiting for Sydney to continue.
She looked away, out the window, “I might as well just tell you what happened then…”
Barnett nodded.
“As I said, he overdid it, got a fever, had a nightmare and then fell out of bed. In the morning, he didn’t really remember anything…I was scared, I thought of calling the doctor, but it wasn’t because I couldn’t handle it or anything. I just got scared…but I didn’t handle it well at all, and Vaughn knew something was wrong. Since he didn’t remember anything, it didn’t help matters. I gave him a bath, and he knew I was holding something back, so I went out in the hall to compose myself enough to go back in there and tell him. In the meantime, my friend Will went in there and said he’d talk to Vaughn. Well…we didn’t communicate well at all, and Vaughn was pretty much convinced that I was calling the doctor and he was going back to the hospital…” she stopped, talking a deep breath, “he basically had kind of a breakdown in the bathtub. He was totally terrified of going back, but he didn’t want to hurt me or anything, so he was totally gonna do it. Once I had him calmed down, he had himself so worked up that he started vomiting and Will was worried, so he called the doctor. I just had Vaughn calmed down when the doctor walked in the door and we basically went through it all again…”
Sydney stopped, waiting for a reply from Barnett, but she just looked at her pensively from across the desk.
“Vaughn and I are totally ok though…and the doctor was ok to leave him there…he didn’t like make him go back or anything…”
Dr. Barnett said nothing as she studied Sydney from across the plane of the mahogany desk.
Finally, Sydney couldn’t take anymore, “Could you say something? Because I was just totally honest there, and now I’m starting to think that maybe I shouldn’t have been…because I did it so that Vaughn could stay, not vice versa.”
Barnett smiled, “I have no intention of pulling him out of your house Sydney.”
She breathed a sigh of relief.
“I do want to start see him though…the nightmares are probable and understandable, but he needs to start working through this…”
”He talks to me…”
”I know that, and that’s wonderful, but you are not a trained professional, and he needs that too…I’m not undermining your role, Sydney, I don’t think Vaughn would have come this far without you…but he still needs to have professional help.”
Sydney nodded.
“Now…how are you handling all of this?”
”I’m fine…I’m not the one who was tortured…”
”No, but you get to live it through him…so…let’s try again…how are you handling all of this?”
Sydney sighed, “I don’t know…I think I’m handling it fine. I don’t have nightmares or anything. I don’t think about it a lot. I’m usually focused on Vaughn, so I don’t think it affects me in the same way.”
”Well, no I’m sure it doesn’t, but I’m sure it affects you in some way.”
”Of course…”
”How so?”
Sydney sighed again, “Um…it bothers me to see him like this. He’s always been my rock, you know? And I’m glad that I can be that for him too, and it’s not that he’s not for me anymore…it’s just a different time now.”
”Mmm hmm…”
”When I sit and really think about it, it makes me furious.”
”What does?”
”That he was tortured…that they did it to him…that he did it to Vaughn.”
”Sloane?”
Sydney winced at the name; it was like acid to her ears, “Yes,” she said through clenched teeth.
“I was at the gym today, and I almost broke the punching bag imaging that it was him instead of the bag.”
“You were that angry?”
”Yes.”
”Have you had an outlet for the anger before today?”
Sydney thought a moment, “Well…no, I guess not.”
”Then I think that’s more than understandable. You’re not going around hitting pillows every chance you get are you?”
”No, of course not.”
Barnett smiled, “Then I think it’s completely normal…you’ve been so focused on Vaughn, you really didn’t deal with your own feelings on the subject until today.”
”Yeah…I guess so…” Sydney paused, “Can I ask you something?”
”Of course.”
”I was thinking about this before at the gym. If I’ve been concealing my anger, couldn’t Vaughn be doing the same thing?”
”Yes…in fact, I’m sure he is…he’s had a lot to deal with…I don’t think anger has really come up yet.”
Sydney nodded, “I should warn you…he’s probably not going to be real talkative…I don’t think he’s really told anyone anything besides me. I know pretty much everything…well…no one will ever know everything, but…”
”We’ll see how it goes Sydney, don’t worry, I’ll be careful with him.”
Sydney smiled, letting out a sigh of relief.
“Well…I should really get going…”
”Vaughn isn’t alone is he?”
”Oh no…no…of course not, I wouldn’t leave him alone…he’s with his mother…”
”Oh, that’s nice…she came to visit…”
”Well…actually no one really bothered to tell her that Vaughn had been injured, so she was quite worried. She came down to see him yesterday, and stayed the night.”
”I’m sure that was nice for him to see her…”
”Yeah, I think it was…”
”Well, then, Friday, shall we say about 2:00?”
”Sure…that’s fine…”
”I’ll call early Friday just to confirm, ok?”
”That sounds good,” Sydney said getting up, “I’m sorry if I had an attitude earlier…I kind of go into protective mode now whenever it’s about Vaughn.”
”I understand,” Dr. Barnett said, smiling, “I wouldn’t want it any other way…I’m glad he has you to fall back on.”
”Me too,” Sydney said, “I’ll see you on Friday then…”
”Yes…see you then.”
Sydney walked out and shut the door, leaning on the wall for support for a moment before leaving the hallway. For a minute there, she thought it was all over, that she’d blew it and Vaughn would be in the hospital again, but she was glad everything seemed to work out. Now all she had to do was explain it to Vaughn.
She sighed, shifting the folders, and trudging back to the elevator. She pushed the down button and this time, made sure she could see any occupants of the elevator. There weren’t any this time and she was thankful for that. She leaned against the back railing, waiting for the elevator to reach the parking garage.
She got out of the elevator, walked to the car, placed the folders on the seat and backed out. Only one more stop before home; the grocery store.

Chapter 73: Supermarket Sweep

“A house is no home unless it contains food and fire for the mind as well as the body.” – Margaret Fuller

“If it was not for guests all houses would be graves.” – Kahlil Gibran

Sydney pulled into the grocery store parking lot and ran in, in a hurry. After spending over half a day away from Vaughn, she very much wanted nothing better than to go home and see him. She pulled a cart hurriedly out of the cart stalls and went through the automatic doors.
She made mental notes to herself of things she needed to pick up and made her first stop at the produce section.
She picked out various items and them moved on to the other sections and aisles of the store.
She made sure to get milk and a couple different kinds of juices, and picked out stuff that would be easy for Vaughn to eat without utensils. When she got to the check out, she realized she’d gone a little overboard, but she missed him all day and wanted to be able to be even EXTRA nice to him when she got home. Plus, she had to break it to him that Dr. Barnett was coming over, so she’d better have some good news.
The kid in the check out line looked at her rather strangely, but he couldn’t have been more than 16, so Sydney didn’t really pay any attention.
Finally, it seemed the kid couldn’t hold back any longer, “You got a lot of kids lady?” he asked.
She turned to the boy, “No, why you wanna come over and eat at my house?”
The boy turned instantly red, but Sydney smiled, making sure that he knew she wasn’t being mean.
Once through the check out line, she maneuvered her cart to the car, loaded it up with even more bags and went on her merry way home.

She admittedly sped all the way home, hoping that no cops were tailing her or were hiding from view around corners.
She looked at her watch when she pulled into the driveway; it was 5:27. She hoped that Amélie hadn’t made dinner yet.
She walked up the path, carrying several bags and rather ceremoniously opened the door. She could hear voices just inside and called out a “Help!” to get someone over to the door.
Will’s head appeared around the side of one of the bags and he lifted them out of her arms.
“Thank you!” she said, relieved to be rid of the bags.
“Are there more in the car?” he asked.
“Yeah, anything not in a grocery bag can go in my room,” she smiled broadly, “If you don’t mind…”
He smiled, “No…I’m a guy…I’m here to do the heavy lifting…”
She laughed and moved past him, walking into the house. She said hello to Francie and Amélie and she spotted Vaughn on the couch, looking rather comfortable, but he smiled just as widely back at her when he saw her.
She bounded over like she hadn’t seen him in weeks and kissed him like they hadn’t kissed in that long either, although it had only been hours.
“Mmm…I missed you,” she said, nuzzling his nose as she arranged herself next to him on the couch.
“I missed you too…” he said.
Will came in with armloads of bags, “Jesus Syd! What’d you do, buy the whole store?”
Sydney smiled as Vaughn raised an eyebrow at her, “Later,” she said and he nodded.
Will had to make one more trip out to the car to get all the bags in the house.
Amélie was seated across from the couple, “So, what did you do today Sydney?”
”Well…” she started, “I went to the gym and then I went to the mall and then I went to work for awhile, and then I went to the grocery store…then I came home…”
”You went to work?” Vaughn asked.
“Yeah, I stopped in because I couldn’t come up with anywhere else to go…just to check in, see what was going on.”
”Oh,” Vaughn said.
She was going to say something else, to ask him why he thought that was strange, but he didn’t get the chance because Will popped back in the living room.
“Well, now that I’m done being the carrier mule…did you tell Vaughn about the project?”
Sydney smiled, “You just willingly called yourself an ass, and no, I didn’t, but I’ll have to tell him now, won’t I?” She shook her head, “So much for the surprise…”
”Oh…I’m sorry…” he said genuinely.
“Nah, I’m just messing with ya’ Duckie…”
Will dropped his head, “Man…you are so mean…”
They laughed as he walked off again, back into the kitchen.
Sydney was just about to start telling Vaughn about work when Francie’s voice yelled from the kitchen, “Sydney, be nice to Will…he says you’re being mean…”
Sydney laughed, “Tell Duckie I’m sorry…”
Francie laughed and that was the end of Will’s complaining.
Sydney started, “I went to work to check stuff out, and my dad and I had been talking about bringing work home for the last few days…and he had it in his office, so I brought it home…”
”Ok.”
”It was actually Will’s idea – we can work on stuff here…if you want to, if you feel up to it…” Sydney added.
Vaughn smiled, “What would we be doing?”
”A lot of it is research and analysis…” she left off, trying to get him to understand they shouldn’t talk about it anymore now.
”Cool,” he said smiling.
She smiled in response and kissed him again, “I really missed you…”
”Me too…”
Amélie cleared her throat.
“But mom took real good care of me…and we had lots of fun…” he said smiling over at his mother.
She smiled back, “Thank you!”
Sydney laughed, “So what did you two do while I was away?”
”We read…and mom made me grilled cheese and tomato soup…” he grinned.
Sydney thought he looked adorable, “Well, you must have been a good little boy then.”
”Yes, he was good,” Amélie said, “He ate all his lunch and he took his medicine like a good boy…and he fell asleep like he usually did when I read to him.”
Sydney smiled, “You did?”
”Uh huh…” he said, nine year old shining through.
“That’s sweet…you’re so adorable,” she said leaning down and nuzzling his nose. Then she backed away and ruffled his hair.
“Ok…let’s pretend I’m not a little boy anymore, ok?” he said.
Both Sydney and Amélie laughed at the distress on his face.
”No honey, you’re all man…” she said winking.
Amélie shook her head, “Ok…I’m going into the kitchen…I didn’t need to hear that…”
This time it was Sydney and Vaughn who laughed as his mother walked out.

Once alone, Sydney smiled and gave him a proper kiss to show him how much she’d missed him.
“Wow…I guess you really did miss me…”
”Yup…”
”So you gonna tell me what’s in all those bags?”
”Well…I’ll tell you about my time at the mall…”
”What about work?”
”Yeah…I’ll get to that.”
”Ok.”
”Anyway, I went to the mall after the gym, and well…I missed you…and I was in a really strange mood.”
”Why?”
”I guess a lot of frustration got let out at the gym…and then I was just thinking way too much.”
”About?”
”About you…about what happened, about how much I hate he-who-will-not-be-named.”
Vaughn smiled, “You feeling guilty again?”
Sydney looked embarrassed, “Yeah…I just hate that I go out and you stay here…I mean you move from the couch to the bed…and from the bed to the couch…and once in awhile you get to go to a lawn chair or the bathroom…I mean…I just want you to be able to go with me…I feel bad that I can go and you can’t.”
”We’ve been over this…”
”Well that doesn’t change the way I feel.”
”You don’t need to feel guilty.”
”Well, at any rate, I did…and I was getting really depressed–“
Vaughn cut her off, “Aw…Syd…I…I’m sorry…you shouldn’t have to feel that way…”
”No – let me finish…I was really depressed because I saw all the places you and I went before this happened, the coffee shop and the book store…everything reminded me of you…and I was pretty much going to leave, but I passed this men’s clothing store, and I saw this shirt that I thought would look just yummy on you,” she stopped when she saw him smile, and then continued, “so I went in and the clerk decided it was her personal mission to assist me, so we pretty much picked out a whole bunch of clothes for you…”
”You bought me clothes?”
”Yeah…well…I mean, you don’t have that many here…and…well…it made me feel better…”
”Buying me clothes made you feel better?”
”I think it was more the idea that I was buying it because I love you…and I missed you…and I was thinking about you…and that made me happy…”
He smiled.
“And then of course I bought something for myself, and then I was really happy…”
He laughed.
“But that’s for you too,” she said raising her eyebrows.
“Oh it is?”
”Yup…but that’ll have to wait until later…you can look at the clothes then too and see if I’m way off on anything.”
”I’m sure you’re not…”
”Well, you should still check…oh…” Sydney thought suddenly, really wishing she didn’t have to reveal the next part, “about work…”
”Yeah?”
”Well…I got the work from my dad, which you can totally help with too…”
”That’ll be good…at least I can feel somewhat useful…”
She smacked him lightly on the arm, “Hey – I find you VERY useful…”
He smiled, “And?”
”Well…that’s the good part…there’s a bad part too…well not BAD…but…well…you aren’t gonna like it.”
”What?” he asked, looking at her intently.
“I sort of ran into Dr. Barnett…”
”Oh,” Vaughn said, not really looking surprised, but his reaction was hard to read.
“She’s coming over on Friday to see you…”
”Why?”
”She just wants to check in…make sure you’re doing ok…”
”Is that all?” he asked sensing more.
She sighed, “Well…she pried the whole incident from a few days ago out of me…”
He groaned, shifting uncomfortably already.
“Hey, listen…she’s not taking you away from me either ok? She just wants to talk to you about some stuff…you know…maybe it’ll help…” Sydney offered.
Vaughn looked unconvinced, “why can’t I just talk to you?”
She smiled, “I tried that one too…but what she said Vaughn, it was true…she said that I’m not a trained professional, and I’m not…I can listen and I can try to make you feel better, but let’s face it…sexual healing is not going to solve all of your problems…she’d not interested in the physical injuries, she concerned about your emotional ones…the psychological ones…”
”I know that…”
”Well…”
”You do a good job Sydney…I don’t feel like I need to talk to someone else,” he stated.
She smiled gently, “Look,” she made sure her voice sounded soothing, “I love you…and I want to help you…and I love talking to you…and I couldn’t be happier that you tell me everything. And I don’t want it to stop. I can handle whatever you tell me…but for your own sake, and if you ever want to go back to work, you’re going to have to talk to her. It’s not going to be easy, I know…but will you at least try? If not for yourself, than for me?” she asked hopefully.
He just looked her in the eyes for a few moments and for a fleeting second, she thought that maybe he wouldn’t agree.
He lowered his head and averted his gaze and she thought for sure that she’d lost him.
He said quietly, “Ok…I’ll do it…”
She smiled and kissed him, “I know you’re gonna worry about it now, but really, she’s pretty easy to talk to…and she promised to be gentle.”
He turned to her again, a questioning look in his eyes.
“I made her promise…” she admitted, “and I think she got my drift that if she hurt you in any way, I’d kick her ass.”
Vaughn laughed, “That’s my girl…”
”You bet it is,” she said, joining in his laughter and kissing him gently.
”So how fast can we make everyone go away so I can be alone with you and get my presents?”
”Patience little Michael,” she said smiling and kissing him slowly.
His eye brow raised, “I love it when you call me Michael…”
”I know,” she said.
They could hear the rest of the group coming nearer and Vaughn pulled her closer for a minute, “I really missed you too…my mom being here was nice…lunch and reading were nice…but you’re much better at keeping me occupied.”
She smiled, “Soon…”
Francie, Will and Amélie trailed in with plates of food and drink. The dinner hour was a relaxed atmosphere, what Sydney thought was the perfect fit for Vaughn. He seemed settled and genuinely happy despite all the things she knew wore on his mind.
She enjoyed watching him interact with his mother and their friends, and both Sydney and Vaughn enjoyed Francie and Will getting to know his mother better.
After dinner and clean up, Amélie announced that she would be going home that night. Everyone protested, saying that staying another night would be nice and it would be easier to leave in the morning, but she insisted that she would be fine. She also added a comment about nights in the noisy household, which made Vaughn and Sydney blush immensely and left Will and Francie slightly confused. Thankfully for Vaughn and Sydney’s sake, they didn’t press the issue.
Amélie excused herself to go pack up her things and Sydney followed after her a few minutes later.
“Amélie?” she asked, poking her head into the room.
“Yes dear?” Amélie said turning to face Sydney.
“I wanted to thank you for coming to see Michael and for staying with him today…letting me have a break.”
”It was my pleasure Sydney. I really enjoyed spending the whole day with him. I’ve missed him…”
”I’m sure you have,” Sydney said sweetly. She then added, “Well…feel free to stop by again whenever you want…I’m sure Michael would love to see you more often now that he can.”
”Oh…we’ll see about that…he might get tired of me!” she said chuckling.
“Well, I certainly enjoyed having you here…and I’m really glad I finally got to meet you…”
”Me too Sydney.”
They shared a hug and then they moved out to the living room together.
Amélie said her goodbyes to Will and Francie and then moved over to the couch, sitting down next to her son.
“Well Michael…I certainly hope you’ll pick up the phone now once in a while to tell me what’s going on? Keep me updated?”
”I will mom…”
“Good…I’ll come by sometime next week to check up on you, ok?”
”That’d be great…” he said smiling.
“Ok…you take care now…be good,” she said, kissing his forehead and giving him a gentle hug. “I love you Michael.”
”I love you too mom.”
She got up from the couch and hugged Sydney one last time, “You take good care of him now.”
”I will,” Sydney said.
“I know,” Amélie replied. She kneeled down by Donovan before leaving, scratching his ears as his tail wagged happily. She had spent some time with him while Michael was sleeping. He bounded to the door with her and she turned, waving and closing the door behind her as she went. Donovan stared at the door for a minute and then moved back to the hall, finding his bed.

Chapter 74: The Lost Chapter (69 – Teehee)

“The reality of the other person is not in what he reveals to you, but in what he cannot reveal to you. Therefore, if you would understand him, listen not to what he says but rather to what he does not say.” – Kahlil Gibran

“When a man’s hand touches the hand of a woman they both touch the heart of eternity.” – Kahlil Gibran

“Lover’s embrace that which is between them rather than each other.” – Kahlil Gibran

“When I stood a clear mirror before you, you gazed into me and saw your image. Then you said, ‘I love you.’ But in truth you loved yourself in me.” – Kahlil Gibran

Sydney smiled as she watched Amélie go out the door. She turned back to Vaughn and her friends.
Vaughn raised his eyebrows in a hinting way, “So…” he said, faking a yawn, “I’m kinda tired…”
Sydney picked up on it, trying to sound as convincing as possible, “Well…we should get you to bed then…”
Will looked confused, “Guys…it’s like eight o’clock,” he said looking at his watch.
Francie touched his arm, “Uh…honey…I don’t think they’re really that tired…”
Will looked at her confused too, “I don’t…” realization hit him, “OH! Well…uh…yeah…I’m getting kinda tired too, how about you Fran?”
She smiled, “Yeah…really tired…”
”You want me to help you guys get to bed?”
”That’d be great Will,” Sydney said, smiling widely.
Will nodded and moved over while Sydney helped Vaughn sit up. They each took a side and lifted him up into the bedroom.
Once they deposited him on the bed, Will cleared his throat, “Well…uh…goodnight then…”
Sydney smiled, “Yeah…night Will.”
”Night,” Vaughn echoed.
He smiled and closed the door on his way out the door, stopping Donovan before he wormed his way into the room. “Not tonight boy…they’ve got other things to do…” Sydney heard him say as he took the dog down the hall with him.
She went to the door and locked it, turning around to see Vaughn starting at her, eyes gleaming in the soft light of the room.
“So…” she said as she swayed her hips sensuously towards him, “You wanna see what I got for you?”
”Yeah…” he said smiling.
She returned the smile and skipped towards the many bags littering the floor.
She peeked in several of them and then moved a few with her to the bed. She sat down and pulled the first bag into her lap. Vaughn waited patiently as she pulled out several items.
“Ok…here’s the first shirt I picked out…this one was the one on the mannequin…”
She held it up for him to see.
“It’s nice,” he said, fingering the material.
“I liked the color – it’s teal…” she smiled, “and the mannequin was wearing a white tee shirt underneath, so…” she pulled out a tee shirt from the bag, “I got you one of those too…you know how I like to see the white tee shirt playing peek a boo with me under your other shirts…”
He smiled, “Yes, I do recall…”
”Ok…let’s see what else we have…” she pulled out several other items, a few other button up shirts and a few polo shirts too. “They’re all nice, soft, cotton too…I made sure,” she said.
He looked from the shirt she was holding up to her face, “You’re too good to me…you know that right?”
”I could never be TOO good to you honey,” she said, leaning down to plant a soft kiss on his lips. He sighed as they parted.
“So…anything else?”
”You got a hot date or something?” she asked coyly.
“Well…I sure as hell hope so…”
She smiled, “We can look at the other stuff later, I just have one more surprise for you…”
He raised an eyebrow, “Oh?”
”Yeah…I’ll be right back,” she said, kissing him quickly and leaping off the bed, running into the bathroom.
She didn’t make him wait long, and in a few minutes, he heard her say from the bathroom, “Ok…ready?”
”Hell yeah!” he said anticipating.
“Michael…” she said in a sing-song voice, and she stepped tentatively out into the bedroom, leaning sexily against the doorframe.
He took one look at her and let out a long, low moan.
She smiled at his reaction, “You like?”
”Mmm…God…Syd…that’s…WOW…you’re so beautiful,” he said, leaning his head back and taking in the full view, “You couldn’t get any more gorgeous…”
She blushed, dimpled smile shining. She swayed her hips from side to side, watching as his eyes followed the movement of her hips. She stopped in front of him so he could get the whole picture.
She was wearing a black sheer bra with a matching sheer cover that hung loosely over her chest and abdomen. Further down, were a matching pair of sheer, ruffled black panties. Sydney turned around; hands on her hips, so Vaughn could see the back.
“Holy s***!” he said when she turned around.
“Mmm hmm,” she said in a low, husky voice.
“Are those crotchless?” he asked surprised.
“Uh huh…” she said, smiling sexily.
“Oh God Syd…”
She smiled when she could already see the notable tent in his boxers.
She approached the bed and straddled him, so she was sitting on his lap, one leg on either side of him.
She leaned down and kissed him as he moved his hand up to cup her sheer-covered breast. She moaned into his mouth on contact as he moved his hand to play with her nipple through the fabric of the bra. She squirmed as he applied gentle pressure to the nipple, rolling it between his fingers. He added slightly more pressure, making her moan, before he pinched it hard. Her body arched toward him as he switched to the other nipple. He pulled away from her, then pulled her closer to him again and he attacked her free nipple with his mouth. He started by tracing the whole nipple, making it wet and cool when the air hit it. The peaks became even more sensitive as he suckled gently. After spending sufficient time on that nipple, he switched again, sucking the other nipple while manually stimulating the first one again.
She rocked her hips back and forth against the material of his boxers, making them slightly moist from her juices. He moaned as he felt the warm fluid on his boxers.
She pulled back and looked at him with smoky brown eyes, “I picked these panties out for a reason…”
“Yeah…” he said slightly breathless.
“You wanna take a guess? What could we do with crotchless panties?”
“Hmm…I could be inside you without you taking them off?”
”Try again Boyscout…”
He smiled, thinking, then it dawned on him, his eyes lit up with excitement, “Ooo…I like that idea…it’s been a long time…WAY too long…”
She smiled, “I know baby…”
She took his arm out of the sling and pulled the shirt off of him, then moved down and hurriedly removed his boxers. His erection sprang out and twitched in expectation. She reached over and gave him a few gentle strokes and then moved the pillow down so he was laying at a slightly less elevated position, but enough so that he could see what she was doing.
She smiled and positioned herself so she was facing away from him, raising her eyebrows up and down. He chuckled until she lowered her body down enough so that she could make contact with his twitching penis.
He arched up, but she moved away, making him wait.
“Vaughn…”
”Yeah?” he said in a strained voice.
“Together…”
”Oh God…yeah…” he said as she scooted herself closer to him.
From his vantage point, Sydney’s soaked opening was mere centimeters from his face. He moaned again, “God Syd…it’s been so long since I’ve seen you…”
She smiled, looking back while still gently stroking his ever-enlarging c***, “I know baby…”
He smiled back and then set to work, taking her completely by surprise. She felt his fingers part her lips as his tongue made a sweep of her drenched center.
She moaned loudly and could feel him smile behind her, “You taste so good Sydney…”
She wasn’t going to let him have all the fun however.
She leaned down again and took the head of his penis in her mouth, sucking and pulling it roughly. His hips arched into her mouth, sending him farther inside. She eagerly took all of him in her mouth, swallowing to add to his pleasure.
He moaned and made another slow sweep up her center, finally making contact with her clit. The minute his tongue touched her clit, she pushed back, forcing him to make contact again.
He moved his fingers to spread her open further and then languidly pushed his tongue inside, probing.
She moaned around his shaft, sending waves of sensation all the way up his body. He moaned as his tongue delved inside her silky walls. Once he had her humming a steady rhythm around his c***, he moved his fingers from her lips to her clit. He rolled it between his fingers while keeping up a steady beat of thrusts from his tongue, then changed his rolling to pinching and then to circles. Soon her hips were moving in circles with him, trying to decide whether to circle or thrust.
She moved her hand down to stroke his balls, pulling and kneading them before rolling them between her fingers. She stopped her sucking motion and moved her mouth down to each ball, taking each one in turn into her mouth and sucking them hard. Meanwhile, her hand took to fisting his c*** quickly, making his hips thrust into her hand, trying to get more friction. Soon, she had him humming into her ****y too.
She smiled as she moved back to his c***, bobbing her head up and down on his c*** in a fevered motion.
He closed his eyes momentarily, trying to take in all the sensations that his mind and body were sending him. His c*** in her mouth was enough to concentrate on, but here was Sydney, exposed to him, and he had full access to her femininity, full access that he hadn’t had in a month, give or take a few weeks. He switched tactics then, moving his fingers off her clit, which elicited a disappointed moan from her, but he made up for it when his tongue took it’s place and his finger moved to where his tongue had been.
She arched into his hand when she felt his finger probe her. His tongue on her clit made hurried circles, pushing pressure on one side, then on the other, then full on the center. He added a second finger, rotating his wrist so that he could push against her front wall. He moved in thrusts next, realizing that they had picked up the same rhythm. Every time he pushed into her ****y, she moved down his shaft. He kept switching from thrusting to circles over her front wall. Thrust. Circle. Thrust. Circle.
She got frustrated then, massaging his balls, making him arch into her mouth again. She moved her hand that had been resting on his thigh to aid her in her own pursuit. She grabbed a hold of the base of his c*** while she sucked hard on the tip. She moved her tongue to the sensitive underside and then took her mouth off of him entirely. He kept up his motions however, and she was forced to stop a minute and concentrate on thrusting herself back on his ever annoying fingers. If she could just make him stay on that front wall area a little longer…but then he’d change it again. Damn him, she thought.
She moved back to his c***, stroking him from base to tip and then following the same path with her tongue. Her other hand moved to cup his heavy sac again, he knew he was getting close, he could feel his balls starting to tense and move up in their pursuit of release, but he could tell from the frantic way she was pushing against him, she was close too.
He moved his legs, pushing his knees out slightly to give himself more leverage and then pushed up into Sydney’s waiting mouth. He could feel himself hit the back of her throat and let out a low groan.
In response, he conceded to giving her what she wanted, and rotated his wrist again to push two fingers against her the front wall. He moved them in circles until he found the raised spot inside her and then put pressure on that spot. She arched into his hand, making him press harder and she moaned as she felt him hit her special spot. Her legs began to tremble and she knew that after she came, her legs were going to give out.
She renewed her efforts on the head of his c***, sucking forcefully and gripping the base of his c*** as she sucked and applying just the right amount of massaging pressure on his balls.
She tumbled over the edge, coming on his pressing fingers and he came simultaneously, pushing himself a little deeper in her mouth as jet after jet of his fluid flooded her mouth. She took it all, swallowing and moaning through her own orgasm.
He removed his fingers from her drenched and pulsing channel as she let his c*** slip from her mouth. She had barely enough energy to move, but she managed to turn and curl up on his chest.
They both sighed contentedly as they rested.
Vaughn said in a shaky breath, “Sydney…that was so good…I’ve missed being able to do that to you…for you.”
”I’ve missed it too,” she admitted in a similarly passion-induced voice.
They rested a while before she pushed herself off of his chest, looking into his eyes, “So, was that a good surprise?”
”Oh yeah…” he said smiling.
She smiled back at him and moved up to kiss him. She brushed past his c*** on her way up, feeling it twitch again and become semi-erect. She looked down at it as it started to swell and throb again.
She looked back up at him, “You ready again?” she asked, with a mischievous grin.
“I’m always ready for you Sydney…”
She melted at the sincerity of his words, immediately sitting up and wasting no time in getting him inside her.
She pulled his c*** to her opening and deftly inserted him before he had any more time to comment.
She tensed her muscles; pulling him in as far as he could go, pressing her hands against his abdomen. He could feel the fire spreading from her hands on him and from the heat that he was sheathed in. Her muscles began milking him. On her up thrusts, she would pull him with her using her muscles, then let go and slam back down until he was buried to the hilt once again.
She leaned down, becoming gentler, resting her forehead against his and taking his hands into hers. She gently grasped the hand that was most injured, careful not to jar his shoulder and held onto his hands, squeezing on every thrust; connected in every way.
She watched his face contort with pleasure as she squeezed him, watching his passion induced eyes become even cloudier shades of jade as he squeezed her hands in his.
“Syd…” he straggled, trying to let her know that he was close.
But, of course, she already knew that…and smiled lovingly as she silenced him with a kiss, letting him know that she understood, “Me too honey…me too…”
His hips rose up to meet her downward thrusts as she moved on him. She forced him deep inside her, not that he was complaining in any way, shape or form. She pulsed on him, coming forcefully.
“Let go Michael…come in me…”
With no more words he arched, sending him deeper inside her, no longer able to stop the flow of their ecstasy. He exploded from deep within his abdomen, sending a new batch of his seed deep in her, filling her completely.
He breathed heavily as she stayed on him, still resting her forehead against his, trying to catch her own breath and still holding onto both of his hands, locked together. He shuddered with aftershocks, feeling her channel still pulsing around him long after he had emptied himself into her. She smiled, caressing his cheek with their intertwined hands.
“I love you…” he said softly, full of emotion. She looked at his eyes, seeing moisture brimming.
She got tears in her own eyes, “I love you too…are you ok?” she asked softly.
He nodded, but didn’t talk anymore. She moved down trying to lay on his chest, and was going to dislodge their hands, but he held on tightly. She crossed them over his chest and lay down over them, listening to the rapid beating of his heart and his breathing as it slowly came down.
Sydney fell asleep almost instantly, exhaustion and satiation taking over.
Although Vaughn was tired as well, he stayed awake for a while, relishing in the feeling of being alone and inside her.
He moved slightly, shifting so he was lying down. Soon, his eyelids began to fall and he drifted off to sleep soundlessly, safe, with Sydney in his arms.

Chapter 75: Infectious Interim

"To have courage for whatever comes in life – everything lies in that." – Saint Teresa de Avila

“A cold and frosty morning there’s not a lot to say / About the things caught in my mind
And as the day was dawning my plane flew away / With all the things caught in my mind
And I wanna be there when you’re / Coming down
And I wanna be there when you hit the ground
So don’t go away, say what you say
But say that you’ll stay / Forever and a day…in the time of my life
Cos I need more time, yes I need more time / Just to make things right
Damn my situation and the games I have to play / With all the things caught in my mind
Damn my education I can’t find the words to say / With all the things caught in my mind
And I wanna be there when you’re / Coming down
And I wanna be there when you hit the ground
So don’t go away, say what you say
But say that you’ll stay / Forever and a day…in the time of my life
Cos I need more time, yes I need more time / Just to make things right” – “Don’t Go Away” - Oasis

Thursday morning dawned and Vaughn woke up, not feeling Sydney on top of him. He moved his hand to his eyes, rubbing the sleep away and trying to figure out where Sydney had gone.
“Syd?” he called out sleepily.
“Mmm…right here sweetie,” he heard her say and then felt her hand on his chest, “You ok?” she asked, sleep still evident in her voice.
“Yeah,” he started, “Just didn’t know where you went.”
She moved over, covering half of his body with hers, “I’m never far,” she stated smiling.
“I know…thank God for that…” he said smiling in return, “Last night was…” he stopped, not knowing what to add.
She nodded, “I know…” she said as she laid her head on his chest.
“You hungry?” she asked yawning.
“Yeah…after all that exercise last night…”
She chuckled, “Mmm…speaking of exercise – we gotta start that again today, we’ve been rather lax in that department.”
”Great…” he paused, “Lax? Don’tcha think I can get my exercise in other ways? Like say…like last night’s exercise?”
”Actually Vaughn, I’m sure it does help…” she admitted smiling again.
“So, then we can just scratch off all that other exercising?” he asked hopefully.
“Mmm…nice try,” she said moving off of him and the bed.
She grabbed her robe and moved back to the bed to help him sit up. She took off the rib wrap and checked the bandages on the front of his chest and abdomen for any signs of soaking through. She took off the first bandage, got up and went to the bathroom, returned with a warm washcloth and carefully cleaned the wound. Once she was satisfied that it was clean, she applied some first aid cream and then placed a fresh bandage over the wound. She had noticed for the past few days that the surgical incisions were healing quite nicely. They had stitches of course, but when she removed a surgical bandage now, they didn’t bleed as much. Some of the other wounds weren’t so lucky. While they never bled profusely, they bled enough that the bandage required changing once a day and those were still the ones Sydney had to watch for infection. She moved onto the next bandage and started to pull the tape off. Vaughn moved away from her slightly, hissing quietly.
She looked up at him, “Are you ok?”
He smiled reassuringly, but said, “The tape on this one – it’s really stuck, hurts…”
She looked at it more closely, studying the bandage area. She sat back a minute, thinking, then she picked up the washcloth and moved it over to the tape, gently prodding the edge of the tape back with the damp cloth.
He winced, but didn’t move away from her again.
Once she had one side off, she checked the wound itself. It wasn’t a surgical incision, it seemed to be a gash from quite possibly a whip, but it seemed to be healing fine. The area where the tape had been was an entirely different matter. That area was red and obviously irritated.
“Oh Vaughn,” she said gently tracing the her finger over the affected area.
He looked down at it, knowing full well what had happened, “I guess my skin decided it didn’t like that much tape,” he said studying it.
“We can’t put more tape back on there…plus we haven’t got the other side off yet,” she said worriedly.
“Just pull it off…”
”That’ll hurt like hell Vaughn.”
”I know, but just get it over with.”
She looked at him in protest, but his look was one of determination, so she sighed and gripped the side of the bandage.
“You know, I could just use the cloth again,” she tried valiantly.
“Nah…just pull it already…”
She shrugged and bit her lower lip. She looked up one more time and he nodded. She pulled quickly, noting the grunt he made when she finally pulled it off.
The other side where the tape had been was just as affected as the other. She tossed the old bandage aside and picked up the cloth, laying it over the whole wound, tape marks and all.
He made a small noise when she put the cloth over the wound but then settled into the pillow as she kept gentle pressure on it through the cloth.
His head dropped back onto the pillow too and she reached out her other hand, running it through his hair.
He looked back at her, smiling, but she thought he looked tired suddenly. She smiled softly, just letting him rest.
“I hope the rest aren’t like that one Vaughn,” she offered after a few more seconds.
“Me too…” he said softly.
“We can’t put the tape over those parts again…not for a while at least,” she said.
He looked at her, echoing her look of uncertainty, “No, I suppose not.”
She moved the cloth, examining the wound and putting some cream on it too. Then she grabbed another gauze pad and spent a few minutes trying to position it so if wouldn’t be taped over the same spots again. She finally figured out a way that avoided the old tape marks. Once satisfied that it wouldn’t irritate it more, she placed the pad over the wound and taped around it.
She looked at him, uncertainty again in her eyes, “Should I keep going or should we stop?”
”They have to be changed eventually, right?”
”Well, yeah…”
”Then just get it all over with now…”
”Ok,” she said moving on to the next one. Thankfully, this one seemed to be like the first, and there was no tape irritation. She cleaned it, put the cream on and then covered it again. She moved on to all the ones on his chest, finding only one other one that was tape-irritated.
“Ok…now we gotta do the ones on your back honey…” she said.
He nodded and she helped him sit up, moving to sit behind him on the bed.
His back always took a longer amount of time because of all the small bandages on it. She started to remove a few at a time, and it seemed to lessen the time he had to sit up. She came to one of the larger bandages, one that covered a rather long and nasty looking whip mark. She always hated to change that bandage.
She let out a small sad sigh as she began to take the bandage off.
“What?” he asked when he heard her sigh, “Ouch,” he said quietly, moving his shoulders slightly.
She didn’t answer him right away; instead she tried to examine the bandage to see what had hurt him.
She peeled the tape slowly and realized that the bandage was sticking to the wound.
He hissed again in discomfort.
“I’m sorry Vaughn…I think it’s stuck to the wound…”
She grimaced along with him as she tried to be as gentle as possible when removing the bandage. Once she got about half of it off, she stopped, examining the wound.
”Well…you want the good news or the bad news?” she asked.
“Mmm…good first…”
”Well…the good news it that I think I can get it off…the bad news is that it’s going to hurt and I think it’s infected…and you have the tape marks on this one too…”
”Well, none of that’s really good news Sydney.”
”I know baby,” she said softly.
She started again and got the rest of the bandage off through his grunts of agony. The bandage was soiled and there were traces of puss on both the wound and the bandage itself. That confirmed any lingering doubts she had about infection.
She traced the outline of the wound, which was swollen, and a rosy red color, and warm to the touch, and he moved away, grunting again.
“Vaughn…I think this has been getting infected for awhile…did it feel sore?”
”Well, my back’s always sore, how I am supposed to know the difference?” he asked seriously. “If I’d known it was infected, I would have told you…”
”I know…” she sat back just looking at the horrid wound, trying to think of what to do, “Well…I mean I can clean it…but…I’m not sure…” she trailed off thinking.
“Syd?”
”Yeah…I think I’m gonna call Tom…”
Vaughn didn’t say anything, but he didn’t protest either.
“Why don’t you lay back and rest while I call – that way you don’t have to stay sitting up.”
”Syd…how am I supposed to lay back with an infected wound there?”
”Oh! Oh…uh…” she reached for the washcloth, “tell me if this hurts you,” she said watching his profile as she moved the washcloth over to the wound. She placed it gently on a small corner of the wound.
“You ok?” she asked.
“Yeah…”
”Does it hurt with it on there?”
”A little, but only when you first did it, but then it felt ok.”
”Ok, then I’m going to try to put it over the whole thing, ok?”
”Yeah.”
She moved the cloth over as much of the wound as the folded cloth would cover and tried to get it on the wound with as much ease as she could muster. He grunted when she made first contact, but then he was quiet.
“Ok?” she asked.
“Yeah, it’s ok.”
She moved then to set him back on the pillow, carefully holding onto the washcloth as he lay back, so it wouldn’t move and then made sure it was trapped between the pillow and Vaughn.
Taking one more glance at him to make sure he was ok, she grabbed the phone and hit the speed dial for Tom.
It rang three times, “This is Dr. Barker…”
”Dr. Barker?” Sydney said trying to withhold a laugh.
“I’m in a public place, and I am a professional sometimes Sydney, or at least I try to be…” he said with a chuckle, “what’s up?”
”Well…”
”Oh no…what happened this time?” he said sighing like a parent who was going to have to go bail their kid out of jail or something.
“Nothing happened, it’s just, well…we were changing Vaughn’s bandages this morning and the tape is irritating his skin on a few of them,” she started and was going to continue but Tom cut her off.
“That’s to be expected Sydney. He’s gonna have them for a while, and unfortunately that’s the downside of tape…”
”That’s not the problem…”
”Oh, I’m sorry…what is then?”
”I just changed the position of the tape for the other ones, so they’re ok…”
”Excellent…”
”Thanks, anyway…we moved onto the ones on his back and one of the larger ones…I’m pretty sure it’s infected.”
”Which one?”
”Um…one of the bigger ones…from the whip,” she said softly.
“s***. The deep one?”
”Yeah…that’s the one…”
”What does it look like – the wound?”
”Uh…well, it’s red, in and around the wound, it’s swollen and it’s kinda warm, there’s puss too, and well…it hurts obviously.”
“Does he have a fever?”
”Um, let me check,” she said moving over to the bed and placing her hand on Vaughn’s forehead. He looked up at her, but didn’t say anything.
“No, I don’t think so, he seems cool enough.”
“Does he have any flu-like symptoms?”
“Vaughn, do you feel like you have the flu?”
”No,” he said shaking his head.
“He says no,” Sydney related.
“Well, that’s good, that means that the infection hasn’t gone systemic yet…”
”Systemic?”
”It’s not in his blood stream.”
”Good,” Sydney said sighing, “so what do you we do now? Do I clean it? Peroxide or something?”
Vaughn groaned when she said that, “That would sting like hell Sydney.”
”I know sweetie,” she said looking at him sympathetically.
“Are you calling me sweetie now?” Tom asked.
“No, and that’s very professional, Dr. Barker,” Sydney said sarcastically.
He chuckled, “No, don’t put any peroxide on it…or any iodine or stuff like that, that won’t really help with a wound like this…what are you doing with it right now? Does it have a dressing on it?”
”No, I was changing it, and the gauze sticks to the wound, so I didn’t put another one on…right now, we’ve just got a washcloth on it.”
”You’re very good, you know that?” Tom asked, a smile evident in his voice, “Cold compresses and baths, believe it or not are quite effective…” he paused, “Tell you what, I’m not that far away from you right now, I’ll stop over and take a look, just to make sure, ok?”
”That sounds great Tom, thanks…as always.”
”My pleasure, I’ll see you in a bit.”
”Ok, bye Tom.”
She hung up and smiled at Vaughn, “Well, turns out I’m a genius…”
He smiled.
“It was good not to clean it and cold compresses are good too, so I’m awesome,” she said proudly.
“Good job honey,” he said resting his head on the headboard.
She smiled and moved over to the bed, resting a hand on his chest, “Are you having any problems breathing? Cause we’ve had that rib wrap off for quite a while.”
”I’m ok,” he said quietly.
She smiled and kissed him, careful not to press on his ribs, “Tom’s gonna stop by and check it out.”
”Ok,” he said tiredly. He waited a few moments and than said, “You must be getting tired of all of this…”
”What do you mean?” she asked concerned.
He shrugged his shoulders, “Bandages, infections, exercises, fevers, nightmares…”
She smiled, “Nope,” she said quickly and sweetly.
He smiled back, “You’re sure?”
”Yup!” she said in the same tone of voice. “You know…I just realized, we need to get some boxers on you…”
”Why? I’m sure Tom’s familiar with male anatomy.”
”Yes, I’m sure he is, but let’s not give him a show, ok?”
She ran off and came back with a pair of boxers for him and helped him get them on, “There,” she said smiling satisfactorily.
“Can we take them off again after he leaves?” he asked with a raised eyebrow.
”We’ll see…” she said.
The doorbell rang then and she kissed him quickly before going to answer the door.

Chapter 76: The Professional

“Oh when the sunshine beckons to ya / And your wings begin to unfold
The thoughts you bring and the songs you sing / Are gonna keep me from the cold
And if the sword is among ya / And it’s words may wound my soul
You can fill me up with what you’ve got / Cos my heart’s been keeping old
She is love / And her ways are high and steep
She is love / And I believe her when she speaks.
Love / And her ways are high and steep
She is love / And I believe, I do believe her when she speaks.
You’re in all my thoughts of passion / And the dreams of my delight
Whatever stirs my mortal frame / Will you keep it warm at night
I don’t know where you come from / No I haven’t got a clue
All I know is I’m in love / With someone who loves me too.” – “She Is Love” – Oasis

“When we honestly ask ourselves which person in our lives mean the most to us, we often find that it is those who, instead of giving advice, solutions, or cures, have chosen rather to share our pain and touch our wounds with a warm and tender hand. The friend who can be silent with us in a moment of despair or confusion, who can stay with us in an hour of grief and bereavement, who can tolerate not knowing, not curing, not healing and face with us the reality of our powerlessness, that is a friend who cares.” – Henri Nouwen

Sydney opened the door and Tom smiled at her from the other side, “Hey Tom.”
“Hello Sydney,” Tom said moving into the house, “so what did you do to him?” he asked smiling.
“What do you mean?” she asked confused.
“What,” ahem, “exercises were you doing that would cause an infection of this nature?”
She smiled, “You’re bad.”
”Well, I try,” he said.
She moved towards the bedroom, Tom trailing behind.
“So, are your friends here? They didn’t have anything to do with this, did they?” Tom said.
Sydney turned around; ready to defend her friends, but she saw the huge smile on Tom’s face and instantly started giggling.
“You suck Tom.”
“Thank you…”
They were still giggling when they entered the bedroom.
Tom moved past Sydney and went over to Vaughn, taking his hand in a friendly handshake, “Hey man! How’s it going? Other than the infection…”
”Not too bad…yourself?”
”I’m good…or as good as can be expected…”
Vaughn gave him a strange questioning look.
“Ah…well…Brianna dumped me…”
”Brianna? Didn’t you date her for like two years?”
”Yeah…seems she found someone new, something about doctor’s hours being too rough and felgercarb like that.”
”Just wait till she finds out you’re gonna be making the big bucks – six months tops man – you’ll be head of the ER and then she’ll be sorry…”
”Yeah…but anyway, we can talk about that later, that’s not why I’m here,” he said clearing his throat and giving Sydney a sideways glance.
She was grinning like the Cheshire cat watching the men interact. It was nice to see Vaughn chatty with someone.
“This is professional Dr. Thomas Barker here…” she said giggling, and Vaughn joined in.
“You know…I could just leave and y’all can deal with this little problem here on your own,” he said teasing.
“I smell malpractice,” Vaughn said which sent Sydney off into a fit of giggles again.
“Yeah…now who sucks, little missy?” Tom said with a smile.
He moved over closer to Vaughn, “Ok, let’s take a look here,” he said as he eased Vaughn into a sitting position.
Sydney turned serious in an instant and moved to the other side of the bed to watch. She cringed when Tom uncovered the wound, but she made sure that Vaughn didn’t see her. Tom saw though and gave her a reassuring smile before he started examining.
He prodded the area gently, and used the cloth to wipe the wound clean of some of the oozy material that was surrounding it. Vaughn groaned slightly as Tom tried to determine the extent of the infection.
“Do you have a thermometer?”
”Yeah, sure…” Sydney said, walking off to the bathroom and handing it to Tom. He reached around and stuck the thermometer in Vaughn’s ear, waiting for the beep. Once it beeped, he removed it and looked at the LCD display.
“99.0,” he said, “not 98.6, but it’s not enough to say that the infection has spread. K, I don’t think this is a systemic infection. It’s swollen, it’s red, it’s hot, it’s exuding,” he stopped when Sydney looked at him strangely, “sorry – oozing…exuding means oozing; just some fancy professionalism there,” he said with a wink and then continued, “and I’m sure it hurts too…”
Vaughn confirmed with a resigned nod.
“Ok…since it’s not systemic, we don’t need any more oral antibiotics – plus, all the pain medication and the ibuprofen and naproxen should lessen any swelling or discomfort too. So, all we have to worry about now is dressing it. You’re gonna hafta change this one more often than once a day now until it gets better, ok Sydney?”
”Sure…”
”Ok, so this is what I brought. I wasn’t sure what I was going to find, so I brought a selection.” He reached into the bag he had brought with him and laid out several items on the nightstand.
He looked at the wound again and then picked up a package that said 3M™ Tegagen™ Alginate Dressing.
“What is that?” Sydney asked.
Tom smiled, “You’ll like this, it’s actually derived from Scottish seaweed – it helps absorb the exudates – or the ooze for those of you not medically inclined.”
Sydney stuck out her tongue and Tom smiled.
“You caught this early enough that I don’t think it’s going to be a real problem. It’ll hurt for a while, but it’s not a horrible infection – it’s not systemic as I said. If it was, then we’d have a problem – deterioration of the wound condition, flu and fever, I & Ds - incision and drainage which can be very unpleasant – that would mean that an incision would have to made in the wound to decompress an abscess or remove devitalized tissue…”
He looked at Sydney who was making a very disgusted face, but then added, “Yuck.”
Tom smiled, “Yeah, not very pleasant, but you caught it, so,” he made the thumbs up sign.
Vaughn was very quiet during their whole conversation and Sydney was getting rather worried.
Tom seemed kinda oblivious, and just kept giving Sydney instructions, “Ok, so we’ve got the Tegagen Alginate Dressings, henceforth to be know to you as TADs, and then I also brought these other products,” he held them up, “our wonderful 3M™ Tegapore™ Wound Contact Material, which,” he turned the package over and read, “is a tactile primary wound contact layer for protecting delicate exuding wounds and skin and can be left in place whilst some secondary absorbent dressings are replaced. And our wonderful 3M™ Cavilon™ No Sting Barrier Film, which,” he read again, “is a unique 'no sting' transparent barrier film, which gives up to 72 hours of skin protection.” He continued, listing: “Product is dispersed in a unique non-stinging solvent, which dries rapidly; Non-petrolatum base does not clog incontinence pad linings; Non cytotoxic; Film possesses good oxygen and moisture vapor permeability; Available in different sizes and formats to suit application requirements; Removal of film is not required between re-applications; Foam Applicators are sterile; and Enhances the adhesion and wear time of some tapes and dressings…so you said that he’s been having some tape irritation – this will help with that too…and it almost is like an invisible band-aid kind of thing…it’s pretty neat,” he concluded with childlike wonder.
Sydney smiled, “That sounds really great Tom, I’m sure it’ll help a lot.”
”Let’s do the first one now,” he added.
“Ok.”
”First, I’d check the wound every time you change it…look for any strange discoloration or if it starts to look worse, then I’m gonna hafta come back…after that, try to clean the wound as much as you can…you can put the first aid cream on if you want, but really, the Cavilon stuff is better, the cream won’t do much for an infected wound. So, then I’d put some of that on and then finish up with the TADs…ok?”
”Yeah…ok…what about like baths and stuff? Can he do that?”
”Sure…baths are fine, but I’d put the Cavilon on there before you get in. It’ll protect the wound from excess moisture and any contaminants in the water. And the cold compresses work well for pain – but again, I’d put on the Cavilon on and then use like an ice pack or something. It’ll help with discomfort.”
”Ok,” Sydney said, looking at Vaughn who was still very silent.
She watched as Tom followed all those steps, showing her how to apply the Cavilon and then he placed the TAD pad over the wound.
“If you put too much of the Cavilon stuff on, it’ll get really stiff, just to let you know.”
Tom and Sydney eased Vaughn back into the pillow.
“Let him rest for awhile and then you can do the rest of the wounds. If any of them are infected, do the same thing. But, if a bunch get that way, call me.”
”Ok.”
”How are the exercises going?” he asked no one in particular.
“Well…” Sydney started, looking again at Vaughn, “he gets exercise, just not the regimented kind. We’ve been kind of lax with that…he moves to the couch and outside and stuff like that, and he gets…other exercise,” Sydney said choosing her words carefully, “but we haven’t been doing the crunches, not really since he had the little setback.”
“That’s ok…like I said, they’re guidelines, it’s not set in stone, do what you think you can,” he said to Vaughn who nodded. “By next week though, he should be doing some crunches, ok?”
”Yup…we’ll do that.”
”Good. You know, I just thought about something – it would be better if that wound didn’t have constant pressure on it, like 24/7. If it’s possible, try to lay on your side or something for at least a while during the day, otherwise, it might get stuck…even with all of our preventive measures…how are your ribs feeling? You’ve had the wrap off for a long time now…you’re breathing ok?”
”Yeah…it’s not too bad…”
”Well…do what you think you can, if laying on your side hurts too much, then stay on your back, but otherwise try another angle for a while.” Tom looked at his watch, “Ok…well then, I’m gonna go, I gotta get back to the hospital…you call if you need anything else. Good catch Sydney,” he said smiling.
She smiled back, “Thanks for coming over.”
”You bet. If I don’t hear from you, I’ll call you the middle of next week and figure out a time for a check up.”
”Sounds good.”
”I can let myself out,” he said smiling, “Mike…you take it easy…but not too easy.”
”Got it Tom, thanks,” Vaughn replied.
Tom waved and left unceremoniously.
Sydney looked to Vaughn, worried because he’d been so quiet, “How are you doing?” she asked sitting down beside him again.
“Great,” he said quietly.
She took his hand in hers and rubbed soft circles over the top of his hand, “I know this sucks Vaughn…”
”What? Tom coming over?”
”No…the whole thing…the wounds and everything.”
”You make it pretty easy…”
”Thanks…you were really quiet, are you ok?”
“Yeah…it hurts…” he looked at her, debating, but then asked, “Do you think I could have my pills?”
”Oh my God!” she ran out of the room and into the kitchen, grabbing the pills and a glass of milk and coming back in. He heard the tail end of a conversation she seemed to be having with herself, “…hell you were thinking…changing bandages and making the poor guy sit up all that while with no pain medication…real smooth Sydney…”
He smiled when she handed him the pills and the glass of milk.
“I’m so sorry Vaughn, I don’t know what the hell was wrong with me…”
”There’s nothing wrong with you…you were busy saving me from further discomfort by catching an infected wound before it got to be really bad…it’s fine…it was just starting to get annoying now…” he smiled.
“C’mere…” he added.
She moved to sit on the bed again and he pulled her over so she was lying against his chest.
“You beat yourself up way too much Sydney…you’re too hard on yourself, just give yourself a break and realize that you’re doing a great job…you’ve saved me a million times in the last few months…ok?”
She smiled, “Ok.”
”You want breakfast now or do you want to finish the bandage changing first?”
”Just get all the bandage felgercarb over with first.”
”Ok…”
She got up and helped him to sit again and then moved on to the other wounds on his back, praying that no others would be infected. She was relieved, as he certainly was, that there weren’t any more that were infected.
She found a few more that had tape irritation, but that was nothing compared to the infected one. She reapplied the rib wrap again and he seemed more relaxed when he had it back on. She laid him back then, positioning him so his right side, the side with the wound on it, was actually off of the pillow. He still had enough leverage so he didn’t fall over, but it also took the pressure off of his back.
She got up then and went to make breakfast, came back and helped him eat and then cleaned up the dishes and came back yet again to be with him.

Chapter 77: Tech Heaven

“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.” – Arthur C. Clarke

“Technology is dominated by two types of people: those who understand what they do not manage, and those who manage what they do not understand.” – Putt's Law

“For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three.” – Alice Kahn

“You look tired sweetie,” Sydney said after they had talked awhile after breakfast.
“Mmm…yeah…I’m tired…” Vaughn admitted.
“Why don’t you take a nap?”
”Are you gonna stay?”
”If you want me to…”
He smiled, “It’s ok…I can sleep by myself for a while…”
”Ok honey, I’ll check on you in a bit.”
”Ok,” he said yawning and watching her go. He was asleep in no time.

Sydney decided to take a look at some of the work that her father had given her and that Will had come up with. She pulled up a chair at the kitchen table and opened a few of the files.
She picked up the phone and dialed the number for the CIA operations office. A receptionist answered, “Dispatch.”
”This is officer 2300844, may I speak with Will Tippin please?”
”One moment,” the woman said and Sydney heard hold music.
Soon after, the music stopped and Will said, “Uh…Tippin here,” by the way his tone rose at the end of the remark, Sydney started chuckling.
“Not sure who you are Will?” she said.
“Oh, it’s you Syd…good…I thought for a minute it might be someone important.”
”Hey!” she said.
“I’m just kidding, but seriously, other than like, Fran, you’re one of say, five that have called me. And it’s usually not work related…” he paused, “Gee, now that I said that, I’m really hoping they monitor all of calls so that I can get into trouble for personal calls.”
”Don’t sweat it Will…”
”Yeah, that’s easy for you to say, Super Spy…I’m just a grunt, so, I don’t think we have the same leverage.”
She chuckled again.
“Everything ok?” he asked.
“Yeah, it’s fine, I was just going to get started on some of these files, and I need that IT guy to hook me up, patch me into the CIA system.”
”Oh, sure…I’ll have him give you a call…you can probably do it over the phone…I’m sure you can handle minor tech-ware…”
”Yeah, I think I can,” Sydney agreed.
“Ok, well I’ll call him now, and he should give you a buzz in a little bit…”
”Great Will, thanks.”
”You bet.”
”I’ll see you later tonight.”
”Call me if you have any more work-related questions.”
”I’ll do that…”
”K, bye Syd.”
”Bye Will.”

Sydney hung up the phone smiling. She went back to the files waiting for the IT guy to call.
She was on about the third paragraph of one of the intelligence files when the phone rang. She grabbed it instantly, not wanting it to wake Vaughn, and she was rather proud of herself when she caught it before it rang twice.
“Hello?” she said.
”Hi, may I speak with Kate Jones please?” a woman on the other line said.
“Speaking,” Sydney said happily.
“May I have confirmation please?” the woman added.
“Codeword: master key.”
”Thank you, patching you through on a secure line, please hold.”
Sydney got up and went to the computer, waiting for the hold music to end again.
She sat down and heard a man on the other line, “Agent Bristow?”
”Yep, right here…”
”Hi, I’m Brody Denison…Will Tippin asked me to give you a call, help you set up your computer to patch into the CIA mainframe network.”
”Hi Brody…”
”You familiar with computers?”
”Enough.”
”Good.”
”Ok, I’m gonna give you a list of prompts to type in, k?”
”Sure, go ahead.”
”Ok, go to Start, Run, and then type Command – all caps, then click Ok.”
Sydney followed the steps, “Ok.”
”You should see screen now that says MS-DOS prompt.”
”Yep.”
”Ok, good, now where it says C:\WINDOWS\Desktop>, type ping 127.0.0.1 and press ENTER.”
”Ok.”
”What do you see?”
”Four replies, something about–“
“That’s fine, you’re good…”
”Ok.”
”Now repeat the ping command, type ping ping 127.0.0.1 and press ENTER.”
”Ok.”
”Now type ping 127.0.0.2a.”
”Ok.”
”Now, you’re gonna see some stuff flashing on your screen, it’s just me…”
Sydney watched as various windows popped up and down at lightening speed. She could hear rapid typing on the keyboard through the phone as he weaved his way through her computer.
After a few minutes, he said, “Ok, I’ve checked the whole hard drive for any security leaks, and there don’t seem to be any. I put up a special security section that we use here to protect any information that you’re downloading there or uploading here, so no one should be able to get to the information…if you look in your folder on the desktop, the one that’s marked ‘Sydney,’ the link to the CIA mainframe is in there…it’s labeled, ‘Insurance Quotes.’ I figured anyone who might access your computer wouldn’t look there…who’d want to look at someone else’s insurance quotes…”
She chuckled, “Ok, let me go there…” she clicked on the link, “Uh…Brody?”
”Yeah?”
”When I click the link, I really do get a insurance quote.”
He giggled through the phone, “That’s my own personal touch…click the back button…”
She did, and another screen popped up that read, ‘Do you want to accept this quote?’
Sydney said, “Ok, now I have some message about accepting the quote…”
”Uh huh, nobody’s gonna accept a quote for you that’d be accessing your files, would they?”
”Um, no.”
”Good, then click ‘accept.’”
She clicked accept and the CIA log in screen came on, “Cool,” she admitted.
“Thanks…ok, then you should be good to go…when you want to log off, just do what you’d do normally at Ops and it should be fine. On a daily basis, the front for the site will change, but it’ll always be something like a quote for insurance or something you’d have to buy – clothing, sporting goods, something like that…just always click the back button and accept the offer…then you’ll be able to get in.”
”That’s really amazing Brody…is that what you do all day? Change the ISPs?”
“No, that only takes about an hour…”
”What do you do with the rest of your day?”
”I could tell you, but then I’d have to kill you…” he giggled after a moment of silence, “I’ve ALWAYS wanted to say that!”
She chuckled, “I’m glad I could help…”
”If you need anything, just give me a call.”
”I’ll need your help with a lab top later…we have one of those here too…so we’ll have to link that one too.”
”Vaughn’s lab top?”
”Uh…yeah…how do you know about that? Did Will tell you?”
”No, Vaughn and I worked together for awhile after our training at the farm…his is already set up…has been for years.”
”Oh.”
”Yep, he used to take mission specs home with him and stuff, so I helped him set it up.”
”Ok…well then I’ll call you if I have any questions.”
”Cool, I’ll be here…tell Vaughn I say hello.”
“I’ll do that…thanks for your help Brody.”
”Not a problem. Later,” he said.
“Bye,” she hung up and stared at the screen; the technology they employed was phenomenally fascinating. She could just imagine a room full of techies, all looking like Marshall, pouring over new and exciting ways to use the internet as a front for the CIA. She smiled thinking of all the dastardly things they could come up with if they wanted to.
She went back to the kitchen table and picked up the file she’d been reading before Brody had called.

She was about halfway through the second file when she heard, “Syd?”
She got up instantly and went into the bedroom, the only place the sound could have emanated from.
She came in to find that Donovan had made his way to the bed, lying at Vaughn’s feet, sleeping soundly. She hadn’t seen him that morning; Will and Francie must have had him in their room last night again.
She smiled at Vaughn, “Did you have a nice nap?” she asked, sitting down next to him.
“Yeah…”
”You ok?”
”I believe so,” he said smiling.
”How’s your back?”
”It’s sore…but it’s ok.”
She reached out and touched his face, “it’s almost lunch time, you hungry?”
”Yeah.”
”Ok, what do you want?”
”What’cha got?”
”Well, I pretty much stocked up on everything that you could eat known to man. I don’t think I told you…when I went to grocery store, the check out kid asked me if I had kids at home, and I asked him if he wanted to come over for dinner…”
Vaughn laughed, “That’s bad Syd.”
”He knew I was kidding.”
”So, what I am I a kid now?”
”No, of course not…I just bought a lot of stuff that would be easy for you to eat on your own, that’s all.”
”Syd, I was kidding…”
”Oh…sorry…well, I don’t want you to feel like I’m treating you like a child Vaughn. You don’t feel that way, do you?”
”Uh…I don’t think children do, or they aren’t supposed to be anyway, what we do a lot of nights,” he stopped, “Nope…don’t think I could ever feel like a kid when we do that…”
She smiled and kissed him.
”You know,” he said, “you said ‘we’ll see’ about the whole boxer issue, after Tom left...did you make up your mind?”
”Let’s eat first, ok?”
”Sure!”
She laughed, “K, let me go see what we’ve got.” She moved off the bed and called for Donovan to follow her. She filled his food and water dishes and then let him out in the backyard.
She then remembered her conversation with Brody and came back into the room, “Brody from the IT department says hi…”
”Cool…I haven’t talked to him in awhile…”
”Yeah…he helped me hook up my computer to the CIA mainframe. He said yours already was…”
”Uh huh…I used to take files home…”
”Mission specs? Brody said,” she explained.
He smiled, “Yes, Sydney, I used to take mission specs home on the missions you went on…”
She smiled and kissed him; “You’re so sweet…” then got up and went back to the kitchen.

Chapter 78: Food for Thought

“Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.” – Woody Allen

“Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.” – Mark Twain

“I will not eat oysters. I want my food dead- not sick, not wounded - dead.” – Woody Allen

Sydney got to the kitchen and opened the cupboard doors.
She called to Vaughn, “Ok, we’ve got spaghetti, Mac & cheese, pizza, other noodle things,” she said picking up several boxes, “sandwiches – uh…ham, turkey, bologna, tuna; let’s see…cereal, oatmeal, rice, soup, pancakes, beef stew, potatoes,” she moved to the refrigerator/freezer, “eggs, salad, there’s hamburger – I could make you a burger, steak, fish, hot dogs, cheese fries – I did not buy those,” she said when she heard him laugh from the bedroom, “Will’s obviously been helping out…let’s see…then we’ve got fruit and veggies, stuff like that…bagels, yogurt,” she paused, saying the rest very quickly, “ice cream, pudding, Jell-O, fruit snacks, Popsicles – that’s it.”
He yelled from the bedroom, “What was all that last stuff? Was Will helping there too?”
She appeared in the doorframe, “Look, I got a little out of hand with my shopping – like I said, I wanted to find stuff you could eat on your own and snacks and stuff…so…I bought you junk…” she smiled.
“Thanks! Does this mean I can chips and beer too?”
”No,” she said forcefully, “If you’re a good boy, I might budge on the chips – but not the beer.”
”Cool…soda?” he asked carefully.
“We’ll see…”
“You said that about the boxer issue too – and I think I’m gonna win on that one…does that mean I’ll win on the soda too?”
She smiled, “SO, what to you want for lunch?” averting his question.
“I think I’ve forgotten half of what you said, there was so much…”
”Well…do you feel like something hot or cold?”
”Definitely hot…like say, 98.6…”
She came in the room, “Hmm…what could be 98.6? Let me think…uh…” she put her finger by her chin.
He smiled, “How bout just a sandwich – that’ll be fast…”
She smiled, “Why do you want a fast lunch?”
”Hmm,” he said mimicking her finger on the chin move, “Let me think…”
She came over further and kissed him, “What kind of sandwich?”
”Turkey.”
”With cheese?”
”Yeah.”
”Mayo?”
”Yeah.”
”Lettuce?”
”No.”
”Tomato?”
”SYD! Come on…you’re doing this on purpose now…”
She smiled, “I’ll be back with your order sir.”
”Yeah, make it snappy please.”
”Nope, now it’s gonna be really slow…”
She heard his groan as she went back to the kitchen.

She smiled as she entered with the tray of food.
When he saw it, he groaned again, “Syd, that’s gonna take forever to eat…what’d you do, bring the whole kitchen? What the hell is half this stuff for?” he asked, moving a few items on the tray.
She laughed, “I have a better idea…”
”What’s that?”
”You’ll see…”
She set the tray on his lap and got onto the bed beside him. They both ate the sandwiches and then he was going to start on some of the other items on the tray.
“Not yet,” she said.
He stopped, looking at her strangely.
She moved off the bed and took the tray off of his lap. She put the tray on the floor and moved the other items to the nightstand.
He watched her as she moved the food and then gave him a sideways glance.
“Oh boy…” he said.
She giggled, moving back to the bed, and took the sling off before taking the waistband of his boxers in her hands. She pulled on the elastic and then moved it over his hips and down his legs.
She stood and removed her clothes hastily, excited about what she had in store for him. She came back towards the bed, but moved to the foot of the bed and came at him on all fours.
She instantly noted the way his breathing hitched and then sped up. She touched his ankles, running her hands up and down his calves, before moving slightly higher to his knees. His c*** was getting harder by the second and it twitched with every one of her touches. She traced the outline of his knees, making him smile.
“That tickles,” he said, his voice low and hoarse.
“I know,” she said, grinning and doing it again.
His knees moved outward, trying to get away from her sweet torture, but she moved higher than, past the knees to his lower thighs. She leaned down and kissed the inside of each one, making his c*** bounce gently.
She planted her legs on the outside, on either side of his, so she controlled how far he could spread his legs.
She went higher still, kissing trails up his thighs, switching periodically to kiss the other thigh. She kissed around the whole hip area, but deliberately missed his erection.
“Syd…you’re driving me insane,” he moaned.
“I know…” she said smiling and continuing her assault upwards. She kissed his abdomen, first making one straight line up the middle, and then moved back down to kiss the sides, gently kissing where she knew the bandages would be if he weren’t wearing the rib wrap.
She continued past the wrap, kissing her way all along the edge of where the wrap ended, and moving up to swirl her tongue around each of his nipples. She raked her fingernails lightly up his chest while continuing to lavish attention on the nipples, and his hips bucked upward, trying to find her opening.
She smiled, “Not yet.”
He nodded but didn’t respond vocally.
She moved up to his neck, kissing the spot she knew was sensitive and sucked his earlobe into her mouth. She could feel his erection nudging behind her and smiled.
She finally reached his face and kissed him ardently; their tongues dueling and licking any space they could find.
When they stopped momentarily, both were out of breath.
Sydney smiled at him and lowered herself to sit on his lower abdomen. She could feel his c*** twitching behind her as it poked into her back.
She leaned over him, to the nightstand and grabbed one of the bowls she had prepared.
She laid it on his chest, careful that it wouldn’t hurt him.
Vaughn looked down to see what she had picked up, “Strawberries?”
”Mmm hmm…” she said, taking one out and biting it.
“Where’s the whipped cream?” he asked.
She reached over and grabbed another dish, tilting it so he could see inside. “Right here…” she said.
She dipped the strawberry into the whipped cream and finished it off, “You want one?” she said with a hint of mischief in her eye.
“Uh huh…” he said nodding softly.
She smiled, taking another strawberry and getting way too much whipped cream on it, moving it slowly towards his mouth. He smiled because he knew what she was going to do. She got to his upper chest and actually wiggled the strawberry in mid-air, causing a large glob of the cream to fall on his chest. She paid it no attention, however, and continued with the strawberry up to his mouth. Once it was close, she leaned down and put the end in her mouth, leaned over and kissed him. While it was rather difficult to actually kiss her with the strawberry between them, it was by far one of the most erotic things she’d ever done.
She smiled once they parted; he was still chewing the rest of the strawberry when she said, “Uh oh! Look what I did!”
He met her gaze, “I’m just gonna hafta clean that up, won’t I?” she said innocently.
“So messy…” she mumbled as she leaned over again to clean him up. He wasn’t really ready for what she did though and almost choked on the strawberry: just as she was sucking and licking the whipped cream off of his chest, she reached down with her hand and gripped his c*** firmly.
His hips bucked up involuntarily, as a moan issued forth from him. She held her grip tightly through his bucking and continued until she had gotten all the cream off of his chest.
Then when she had finished, she let go of his c*** and sat up again.
“More strawberries?” she said, completely calmly, as if the whole grabbing incident had not just transpired.
He moaned.
“I’ll take that as a no…let’s see what else we’ve got,” she said sweetly as she put the bowls of strawberries and cream back and then rummaged for something else.
He was slowly coming back to his senses when he heard her say, “Ooo! This will be good too…”
He looked down to see that this time she had a bottle in her hands, “Oh God Sydney…that’s gonna be so sticky…”
”Yup!” she said smiling as she turned the bottle over and drizzled a circular pattern of honey on his chest. She moved the bottle up, not stopping the flow of the honey, “Open your mouth,” she said.
He obliged and she drizzled some in there too.
Then she set the honey back on the table and set to work cleaning it off his chest.
She ran her tongue for his mouth to his chin and down his neck, reaching his chest and moving to the side, just in enough time to catch a line that had been moving off of him and was dangerously close to falling on the bed.
“Mmm…” she said as she traced her way back across his chest to the other side.
He could feel the vibrations as she moved across his chest, and it was making his c*** strain with need.
He shut his eyes tightly, “Syd…please…”
She stopped after cleaning him, looking up at his closed eyes and kissing him.
He opened his eyes.
“Soon,” she said as she reached over for something else.
He groaned as her movement made her body brush against his already over sensitive c***.
She came back with another dish, but she didn’t show him what was in it.
Instead she took the spoon, got some on it, and then proceeded to drop it on his chest.
“Jesus,” he said, his whole body shuddering, “that’s cold!”
She giggled, moving her mouth down to catch it before it dripped off of him and also adding warmth to his chest.
When she came back up, she still had the smile, and took the spoon again. He looked at her, challenging her to drop it again, but this time she moved it to his mouth and dropped it in there instead.
“It’s a little melted,” she said.
”Well…it’s been sitting there long enough,” he said trying to hint to her.
She smiled, “But chocolate ice cream is always good,” she said, talking another bite for herself.
She put that back on the table and then reached for the last bowl. She tilted this one, showing him that it contained sliced apples and peaches and grapes.
She put the end of one of the apple slices in her mouth and leaned over, letting him take it. She waited until he swallowed and then did it with a peach slice as well. He was too busy concentrating on her moving towards him with the food to notice that she had moved herself off of his frame and was poised over his c***. She waited until her mouth was almost connected with hers and then let the fruit go, coming down hard on his c*** at the same time.
He nearly choked again on the fruit, totally not expecting her to slam him inside her at that moment. He tried to chew but had to wait until he adjusted to the feeling of his over-teased c*** being buried inside her warmth.
He let out a guttural moan when he felt her squeeze him powerfully and then move. She smiled as she moved herself up and down on him. She had totally surprised him and loved that she had caught him unaware.
She slowed enough to let him swallow and then smiled down at him as she moved him in and out of her gently.
“That was so…uh…” he managed.
“I’m good, no need to tell me…”
”MEAN!” he said.
She giggled, “You know you loved it…you totally didn’t even notice when I moved off of you!”
”I was a little preoccupied with what you were gonna do with the fruit…”
She smiled, “How are you enjoying your lunch so far, Mr. Vaughn?”
”The service was really slow…”
She stopped moving, gripping him tightly, “Oh really?”
He smiled; liking the feelings she was giving him with the constant pressure on his c***. After having her tease him that long, it felt wonderful to be sheathed so tightly.
“Well, then we should really speed it up,” she said, starting her movements again, coming on and off of him must faster.
His hand moved to her hip, trying to grab onto something as she took him by surprise again. He was well on his way to release when she eased her movements again.
He looked up at her and she smiled evilly. She reached over to the table, “Fruit?” she said.
He groaned, “No…”
”Apple?”
”No.”
”Peach?”
”No, the only peach I want right now is you!”
She giggled; “Well…this little peach wants a real one…” she reached into the bowl and got out a peach slice.
“Maybe if you help me eat the peach, things can move on at a quicker pace…”
She stayed where she was, sitting on his lap, feeling him deep inside her. She was hunched over slightly, but not enough that he wouldn’t have to move.
Without thinking, he sat up slightly, and groaned at the new feelings that radiated from his groin to the rest of his body. He sat up until he was level with her and grabbed the half of the peach that she had left hanging out of her mouth.
He was rather satisfied that perhaps now they could move things along, but she stopped, smiling and running her hands through his hair.
“Do you realize you just sat up by yourself?” she asked, cupping his face in her hands.
He smiled, his face a vision of pleasure as he enjoyed the feelings of being fully inside of her, “Uh…no…I didn’t,” he said softly.
“I figured if I gave you a goal…” she smiled kissing him gently, “you’re not hurting yourself are you?”
”Nope.”
”Good…then move,” she instructed, the smile becoming even larger.
He didn’t need to be told twice, he held onto her lower back with his good hand, using it as leverage, and pushed up with his hips. Now it was her turn, as her eyes closed, feeling him slip out and in on his own accord.
She opened her eyes to find him watching her, her hands coming to rest on his shoulders. She leaned down and put her forehead against his.
“I missed this…” he said.
“I know baby,” she replied, “Don’t worry…you sat up now…that’s a good step…it’ll be soon…”
He nodded, going back to watching her face as it rippled with the emotions and sensations she was feeling.
All the teasing she had visited upon him was definitely affective; he was already close to coming.
He let go of her back, and her hands moved to his neck for support. He moved his hand down until it was just below the small patch of hair that rested above her folds and rubbed across her clit.
She bucked her hips forward, sending him even further inside her. She moaned and threw her head back as she felt the delicious ache of her cervix moving up to accommodate him.
He looked down to where they were joined, loving the vision of Sydney coming on and off of him. Call it ego or whatever you like, he loved watching himself as he moved in Sydney. He moved his gaze upward, reaching out his mouth to take a nipple in his mouth.
Her hands moved from his neck to the nape of his neck, hanging on as he brought her to the brink of ecstasy.
He moved to the other nipple, biting slightly, hard enough for her to notice, but not enough to cause her pain.
She moaned again as he sped up his motion on her clit, rubbing vigorously.
“Syd,” he said, looking up at her face.
“Mmm?” she answered, bringing her gaze down to meet his. She saw the raw passion and love in his eyes, “You ok?” she asked, worried that this might be hurting him.
“Yeah…I’m close…”
”I know…me too…” she leaned down to capture his mouth in a fever-filled kiss.
He felt her tilt her hips and spasm violently around his throbbing c***.
She called out his name as she gripped him tightly.
He buried his face in her chest as he felt his own release explode, spilling himself inside her.
She held him close, feeling his body wracked with tremors and feeling the heat fill her walls. She eased him back onto the pillow, not wanting him to strain himself more that he probably already had. Once she had him lying prone on the bed, she let her grip on him lessen. She watched his face, still contorted with the last convulsions of climax. She smiled as his eyes opened, looking up at her with passion-drugged eyes.
“So…did you like our lunch?”
”Mmm…yeah…you could say that…”
”Good…” she smiled, touching his face, “You sat up all by yourself…” she said with wonderment.
“I had help…is it really that much of an accomplishment?”
”You’re damn right it’s an accomplishment!”
He smiled, “Thanks for the motivation.”
”You’re very welcome.”
She lay her head on his chest and listened to the soft beating of his heart as they drifted off to a nap; he completely content, cradled in her warmth.

Chapter 79: Late Afternoon Plunge (Get your mind out of the gutter!)

“Like swift water an active mind never stagnates.” – Author Unknown

“I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe.” – Marcus, Babylon 5

“Remember, we all stumble, every one of us. That's why it's a comfort to go hand-in-hand.” – Unknown

Sydney woke slowly, yawning, and found her body completely relaxed. Vaughn was still inside her and she made no attempt to move; in fact she’d have been content to stay there forever. She knew he wouldn’t have any complaints.
She smiled as she thought about him, taking a risk, moving her head so she could look up at him. He was still napping peacefully, but he reacted to her movement by tightening the grip his arm held on her.
She watched him sleep, breathing deeply and heavily.
He’d been through do much; it was a wonder he slept at all…she thought.
She glanced at the clock on the nightstand, maneuvering slightly to see the clock around all of the food that was still lying there.
It was almost 4:00. Hmm…they had slept longer than she thought. She hated to rouse him, but if she didn’t soon, Will and Francie would be home and they would find them in yet another compromising position. They teased them enough without an actual show.
She moved her hand up to stroke his cheek. She smiled when his mouth jerked slightly, but he didn’t wake.
”Vaughn…” she said quietly.
“Mmmmmm…”
“Baby…we gotta get up…Will and Francie are gonna be home soon,” she said trying to keep her voice low so she didn’t startle him awake.
“Mmm hmm…”
She smiled, “Vaughn…come on…”
She moved slightly, about to get off of him, but his hand gripped her even tighter. His eyes shot open, “What? Where are we going?”
She chuckled, “Hey sleepy…I gotta get off you…we gotta move…Will, Fran…home soon.”
He whined, “Aww come on…just a little longer…”
”Sorry honey, we gotta get cleaned up…you still smell like a mixture of fruit and honey…and the smell of sex looms in the air as well.”
He laughed, “Well…at least they all go together…”
She smiled, moving off of him, “Come on…”
”Where are we going?”
”Oh…yeah…hmm…can’t bring the bath to you…” she looked at him questioning.
“What?”
”Do you think we can get you to the bathroom?”
”Uh…”
”If you don’t think so, I’ll bring in a cloth and stuff…”
”We can try…”
”Only if you think you can – I know I made a big deal out of the sitting up, which was…but I don’t want you to push yourself too much…”
“We can try Syd…that’s about all I can say…”
”Ok,” she said moving to help him sit up.
“How come I didn’t get to sit up that time by myself?” he asked.
She smiled, “I still supported you the first time – it was just your own power…”
”I see…”
She helped him swing his legs over the edge of the bed and then moved to stand in front of him.
“We’re gonna take this REALLY slow, ok?” she asked looking him in the eyes seriously.
“Yeah…I got it…”
”You don’t have your sling on, so I’m gonna grab you around the waist, ok? Just do the same thing you would if you had it on.”
”Ok.”
She gripped him around the waist and pulled him gently as he pushed off with his feet. He stood in front of her, her arms still holding his waist.
“You ok?”
“I think so…so far so good…”
”Ok…if you get dizzy or sick or anything, tell me…and we’ll get you back here…”
”Ok.”
She took a step backwards, taking him with her. He looked down and that was a mistake.
She saw him do it though and moved one of her hands to his face, “Look at me…don’t look at the floor…k?”
He nodded.
The only time she took her eyes off of his was when they had to maneuver through doors or around objects; otherwise, she made sure that he kept eye contact. As long as he didn’t look at the passing scenery, he seemed to be ok. They moved slowly, deliberately and carefully to the bathroom.
Sydney sighed a huge sigh of relief when the actually reached the bathroom, “Ok…good…that was really good,” she said as she deposited him in the chair next to the tub, “I was really worried that we’d wind up in a heap on the floor and Will and Francie would come in to find our naked forms struggling there.”
He smiled softly, “Does it scare you to be alone with me?”
”What? What do you mean? I’m not scared of you,” she said squatting in front of him.
“No, that’s not what I asked…I know you’re not scared OF me…I want to you know if it scares you to be with me ALONE…like moving me and stuff…does that scare you?”
She thought a moment, looking up at him, “No…I’m not scared to be alone with you…I get scared if we do something like this…when I don’t know if you’re ready…but I’m not scared to be left alone with you…”
She touched his face, “Why do you ask?”
He shrugged his shoulders, “I just wondered sometimes if you get scared when we’re alone…if something happened to me or something.”
”Of course I worry that something might happen to you, but it doesn’t like constantly torment me or anything. I’m perfectly fine with being alone with you – I guess I’m just apprehensive when we do new stuff. Is this because I made that joke about Will and Francie coming home to find us on the floor?”
”Kind of…but I’ve been wondering for awhile.”
”How long?”
He shrugged again, but she knew.
“Since the night you had the fever?”
He met her gaze, but he didn’t answer.
She nodded, “I’m sorry Vaughn…listen…let me get the bath water started, then we’ll talk, ok?”
He nodded.
She moved to the tub and turned the water on, then came back to him, and took off the ankle wrap and the rib wrap, and then proceeded to start to take the bandages off. She started on his back and got all the small ones off, and left the large, infected one for the moment. She moved to the front and took off all of the ones save the one that had the tape marks.
She moved back to the tub then, leaving him somewhat confused as to why she hadn’t taken the other two off.
Once she was satisfied that the water was the correct temperature, she came back and offered Vaughn a hand. He took it and then she moved to help him stand again.
“Uh, Syd…”
”Yeah?” she said as she started to move him towards the tub.
“Don’t these two have to come off?”
She smiled, “They will…” She sat him on the edge of the tub and ran off suddenly, coming back with the Cavilon Film. She moved to the closet and got out a bunch of towels and a washcloth. Then she moved behind him, dipped the cloth in the water and gently prodded the edge of the bandage with the infection. Once she had it up, she removed it gently and then examined the wound. Sydney couldn’t notice any change, but it didn’t seem any worse. She brought the cloth up to the wound and placed it gently on a section of the wound, waiting for Vaughn’s reaction.
He pulled away slightly.
“You ok?”
”Yeah…it just pulled a little bit…”
”Sorry honey,” she said covering the area around the wound with kisses.
He sighed, “S’alright…”
”I think it’s ok…Tom said the stuff lasts for 72 hours, so you should be good for the tub…”
She grabbed him under the arms for support as he swung his legs into the water. Then she gently eased him down.
“Syd…the other one…”
”S’ok…” she said smiling and settling in behind him in the tub.
He leaned back into her waiting embrace and she reached under his arms so she could reach the other bandage.
She easily pulled the bandage and the tape off, “There,” she said happily.
She could see the smile from behind him as she discarded the wet bandage.
“I figured that would be easier – and more effective…less painful…”
”You’re a genius,” he said.
“So I’m told…” she teased.
They spent a while just sitting, soaking in the tub.
Sydney picked up the washcloth and rung it out so the water ran over his chest. He sighed contentedly and his head lowered down onto her shoulder. She placed a gentle kiss on his temple.
“You wanna talk now?” she asked quietly.
He didn’t say anything, so she decided just to continue, speaking softly, just above a whisper, right next to his ear, “That night…was a mistake…I was scared because you were sick…I wasn’t scared to be with you…or really even because you were sick. I was scared because I didn’t want to screw up…I didn’t want to do something wrong. That’s why I get scared, it really has nothing to do with you at all…I’m never scared to be alone with you – I love you…the thought of being alone isn’t what worries me…it’s what could happen to you…and that I might be powerless to stop it. What grates my cheese even more, is that I was already powerless to stop this from happening in the beginning, and that I might be the reason you get hurt now…does that make sense?”
”Yeah…it makes sense…Sydney, I know I sound like a broken record, but I don’t want to be a problem…I don’t want to make your life harder than it already is…”
”You’re not…believe me…I love just being home with you…and I love taking care of you…and I love what we do…”
He smiled.
“Ok?”
”Yeah…”
”Is that all that’s bothering you, or is there something else,” she asked, running a hand through his hair.
He smiled again, “I’m kinda leery…”
”Of Barnett?” she asked knowingly.
“Yup.”
”Don’t be honey, she told me…she has no intention of taking you from the house…those were her exact words.”
”Well that doesn’t mean she won’t…”
”Well, no, but really…I trust her Vaughn…I really just thinks she wants to help…try not to let it bother you…”
She pushed him up slightly, “Let’s wash your hair, k?”
He nodded and hummed while she moved in gentle circles over his head. She rinsed the soap out and then grabbed the bar of soap, lathering her hands and massaging her way over his neck and shoulders, down his back and then around his chest and abdomen. She moved out from behind him and settled him back against the tub gently, and then sat in front of him to wash his legs and other areas that had gotten a work out today.
She smiled as she came into contact with his c***, which was semi-erect from all her touching.
He smiled back, “You’re so beautiful Sydney…I love you so much…”
She smiled and moved between his legs to kiss him, “I love you too…and you’re equally as beautiful.”
He smiled and went back to watching her lather him up before washing herself too. She did her arms and legs and her hair, all with his watchful eye on her. She noticed that his c*** had gotten harder too.
“C’mere…” he said.
She turned around so her back was facing him and he held out his hand. She lathered up her own hands and then deposited the soap in his hand. He smiled because he didn’t have to tell her what he was thinking. He washed her back for her and then surprised her by pulling her back against him. She didn’t want to hurt him and turned her head, but the look he gave her told her that he was fine. She settled back into his arms as he washed her stomach and neck and then moved down to wash her breasts. She moaned as his soapy hands played over her nipples, pulling them slightly, as the slipped through the sudsy fingers. His head dropped to her neck, kissing and nipping until he reached her ear, darting his tongue out into the crevices and sucking the lobe into his mouth.
She had to admit, her center sure liked the idea of having hot bath sex, but she knew that Will and Francie would be home any minute.
She groaned out in a whisper, “Vaughn…we have to stop…Will…Francie…”
”So?”
”Home soon,” she said.
“Don’t care,” he replied.
She smiled, “I know…but I didn’t shut the door…”
”Well…go shut it…” he offered.
“No, honey, we have to get out of the tub…”
”Why…” he whined.
“Because…”
”That’s not an adequate answer…” he said nipping her neck until she moaned.
“Really…honey…later…we can finish later…”
”Finish now,” he said.
“How about I help you finish…” she asked.
“Inside you…” he breathed.
She couldn’t stop thinking about his damn mouth on her neck, so she caved, “Ok.”
She turned around in his embrace with lightening speed and mounted him before he had a chance to say another word. She was full of surprises today, he thought, and he arched his hips so hard that she had to catch him before he slipped under water.
She smiled after she grabbed him, bringing him closer to her.
“You’re just one big surprise today, aren’t you?” he asked, echoing his thought from a moment ago.
“That’s me…” she said pushing on him quickly.
She knew that it wouldn’t take long if she kept up this pace, plus they really needed to get out of the tub, so as much as she hated to admit it, the sooner the better.
She ground her hips into him, and squeezed her muscles around his throbbing c***, sending him deeper inside. She leaned over slightly and reached her hand behind her, taking his balls in her hand and massaging them. His eyes shot over to meet hers, as he groaned and lost himself, coming hard inside her. She followed after feeling his balls tense and his c*** lurch inside her.
His let his head fall back to the edge of the tub, “Jesus Sydney…”
She smiled, “Well I had to get you to come quickly some how…”
”That was a great way,” he admitted.
She smiled and got off of him, washing them both once again and then moved out of the tub and threw on her robe.
She started letting the water out of the tub when she heard the door open and she gave Vaughn an ‘I told you so,’ look.

:love: :shh:
Okay, I accidently fell into this fic...three words........
OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You sucked me in...I am suppose to be working. I fully expect my chapters to be posted as soon as possible.

I'm totally new to the website....and already I am in love!

AMAZING!!!

Chapter 80: Seaweed and Lacerations

“If I had my life to live over I'd like to make more mistakes next time. I'd relax. I would limber up. I would be sillier than I have been this trip. I would take fewer things seriously. I would take more chances. I would climb more mountains and swim more rivers. I would eat more ice cream and less beans. I would perhaps have more actual trouble, but I'd have fewer imaginary ones. You see, I'm one of those people who live sensibly and sanely hour after hour, day after day. Oh, I've had my moments, and if I had to do it over again, I'd have more of them. In fact, I'd try to have nothing else. Just moments, one after another, instead of living so many years ahead of each day. I've been one of those persons who never goes anywhere without a thermometer, a hot water bottle, a raincoat, and a parachute. If I had to do it again, I would travel lighter that I have. If I had my life to live over, I would start barefoot earlier in the spring and stay that way later in the fall. I would go to more dances. I would ride more merry-go-rounds, I would pick more daisies.” – Nadine Stair

“If you do not understand your friend under all conditions you will never understand him.” – Kahlil Gibran

Sydney quickly made herself look presentable and went out into the kitchen, shutting the door to give Vaughn some privacy while he waited. She followed the sound of Will and Francie’s voices.
“Hey guys,” she said.
They both turned and Will raised his eyebrow, “Shower?” he asked.
Francie smiled, “Hey Syd.”
”Bath actually, and I’m really glad you’re home…cause I got Vaughn in there but I had no idea how I was gonna get him out.”
”Sure…let’s go.”
Sydney turned and smiled on her way back to the bathroom. They may have known what they just got done doing, but she was damn proud of the cover up she had just pulled off.
Sydney pushed the door open to find Vaughn relaxing and looking quite satisfied in the now empty tub.
She grabbed his robe from off of the hook on the wall and Will came in and helped her get him onto the ledge of the tub.
After that, he left, saying he was gonna help Fran with supper and let Sydney do her thing with the bandages and towels before he’d come back.
“So, do they suspect?” Vaughn asked.
“Well…yeah, I think you’d have to be a moron not to figure it out, especially with the total satisfied grin you have on your face.”
”Hey!”
She smiled, “But I think I did a good cover up job.”
She helped him sit on the chair and then grabbed some towels, drying him off. She next made him turn in the chair so she could reapply the bandages to his back. She did all of the other smaller ones first, then moved to the larger wounds. Once done with those, she examined the infected wound, checking the state of the Cavilon; some of it seemed to have come off in the bath, so she applied a little more and then covered the wound with the TAD. She smiled as she remembered Tom’s “professional” lecture.
After finishing with his back, she had him turn again so she could dress the wounds on his chest and abdomen. She reapplied dressings to all of the surgical incisions and cuts and saved the one with the tape irritation for last. She applied some of the Cavilon all around the wound and affected red areas and then applied a new bandage. Lastly, she rewrapped his ribs and ankle. She helped him into the robe and then she stepped back, admiring her handiwork and gave an approving nod.
He smiled, “Thanks Syd.”
”Anytime honey,” she responded with a kiss.
She was about out the door to get Will again when she poked her head back in, “You’re doing better without the oxygen too you know…”
He smiled, “That I have noticed…but it’s not all the time…I think the steam in here helps…”
”I know…but it’s still beginning to be noticeable.” She gave him another nod and then went off in search of Will.

Will came back and they moved Vaughn into the bedroom, where Will left dutifully again and Sydney set to dressing Vaughn. It was so late anyway, and they’d both had baths, that she dressed herself in her pajamas. She then moved over to help him, “You wanna put your pj’s on too?”
”Sure…”
She smiled, having already planned to make sure she had hers on first, just so he wouldn’t get the wrong idea.
She helped him into a comfortable pair of sweat pants and a tee shirt and then got Will again.
Will helped them out to the couch and went back to the kitchen again.
Sydney got up and went to the fireplace, “Is it ok if I start a fire Vaughn?” she asked.
“It’s you house Syd…” he reminded her.
She went back to him, “No, this is our house…it’s your house now too…”
He smiled.
“Is it ok if I start a fire or would you prefer that I didn’t?”
”I have enough good fires to think about Syd…if that’s what your worried about…start it.”
”Ok,” she said smiling.
He watched as she started getting it going, admiring the view of her more than anything else. She turned once she had it going and noticed him watching her.
”You checking out my ass Vaughn?”
”Yes I am,” he admitted proudly.
She smiled moving towards him, the fire behind her.
He sighed, “That’s a sight to behold,” he said.
”What’s that?”
”How could I ever think about torture when you’re walking through the fire for me?”
She smiled widely and captured his mouth in a kiss.
“Ugh! Is that all you two do? Seriously, don’t you ever get enough of each other? The bath tub, here, probably in bed earlier…Jesus…get a room!” Will said dropping their plates off and moving to go back in the kitchen. Before he left he added, “Please! Get it out of your systems before I come back again!”
Sydney and Vaughn broke out in a series of giggles that just wouldn’t seem to stop and when they heard Will and Francie coming again, she pushed Vaughn down on the couch further and attacked his mouth, his hand roaming her ass.
“Oh come on!” Will exclaimed, “now that’s just uncalled for!”
Sydney and Vaughn parted laughing and Francie started in with the giggles too.
Vaughn said after everyone had calmed down, “You know Will, I don’t…”
”Don’t what?” he asked.
“I don’t ever get enough of Sydney…I don’t think it’s possible.” Sydney leaned over and cupped his face, kissing him sweetly.
Francie said, “Aww…” then she turned and smacked Will on the arm hard.
“OW! What the hell was that for?” he said rubbing the spot where she had hit him.
“How come you never talk to me like that?”
“Oh come on! I cannot win!”
Vaughn and Sydney just giggled harder again.

They finally all settled down enough to start eating.
“This is really great Francie,” Sydney said taking another bite of her dinner.
“Mmm…yeah…” Vaughn agreed through his mouthful.
“Thanks,” she said, “You two seem especially hungry tonight…”
Vaughn smiled as Sydney coughed.
“Yeah…we had to start my exercises again today…”
Sydney coughed again.
“You ok Syd?” Francie asked.
Sydney held up her hand, “Fine.”
”What else did you guys do today?”
”Oh…” Sydney said, realizing, “Tom stopped by today…”
”Really?” Will asked.
Francie echoed, “What for?”
Sydney looked to Vaughn for permission, and he nodded.
Francie and Will looked at each other worriedly and then back at the other couple.
“Tom stopped by because one of Vaughn’s wounds got infected…”
”What?” Francie asked exasperatedly.
Will echoed the tone, “How’d that happen?”
Sydney smiled at their concern, “Well, it just kind of happens…it’s not because of something we did or didn’t do…bacteria just gets in the wounds sometimes…”
”Aw, that sucks man,” Will said looking to Vaughn.
Francie was a little more feminine, “Does it hurt?” she asked looking at Vaughn as well.
He nodded but took another bite as Sydney smiled at him sadly.
Will looked hesitant to continue, but did anyway, “Is…uh…is it like…bad?”
Sydney placed a hand on Vaughn’s chest, “Well, it’s not good, but it could have been worse.”
Vaughn added, “Sydney caught it before it got really bad.”
She smiled, “So, it’s not systemic – it’s not in his bloodstream – no antibiotics.”
He nodded, “But I have this really cool stuff that Sydney puts on it…it’s like this invisible film stuff and then I have a seaweed bandage now,” he said nonchalantly as he ate another bite.
Francie looked at Will, “Did I hear you correctly?” she asked the other couple.
Sydney started to chuckle, “Yeah…you heard right…”
Will looked positively bewildered, “You have seaweed for a bandage?”
Sydney out rightly laughed, “It’s a bandage made from seaweed, not a bandage of seaweed.”
Vaughn laughed with her, “Sorry, I should have been more clear.”
”Ok, cause that would be just strange…” Will said.
“Can I see it?” he added after a few more minutes.
Vaughn’s eyes met his and Sydney chuckled. Francie smacked him again.
”What?” he asked; “Is that like really morbid or something?”
Vaughn smiled while the girls groaned, “God Will!” Francie said.
“What! I’m a guy, ok?”
Francie just groaned.
Will looked to Sydney and Vaughn.
“Why do you want to see it?” Sydney asked.
“I guess, more than anything…I’m curious…I really don’t think I’ve seen the…injuries…any of them…not really…just glimpses…”
Vaughn looked at him strangely, “Why would you want to see something like that?”
”They aren’t exactly pretty Will,” Sydney offered.
“No, I know…I don’t know…forget I said anything…” he said returning his head to the plate.
“No, Will…I guess Vaughn and I just don’t understand…”
Will shrugged.
Sydney looked to Vaughn and he answered her with his eyes, “I have to change the bandage before we go to bed, you can look at it then, ok?”
”I don’t have to…I…I don’t know…”
”No, it’s ok Will,” Vaughn offered, “you can.”
”It doesn’t bother you?”
”What?”
”Having me look at them?”
”Why should it?”
”I don’t know…”
”Well it would bother me to have just anyone look at them, but not you…if you really want to…”
Will nodded and they all went on eating, talking about other things.
Will and Francie cleaned up and Sydney looked at Vaughn, “What do you think that was about?”
”Don’t know…maybe he is just curious…”
”Why though? I mean…torture wounds aren’t something that most people have a fascination with…”
Vaughn shrugged.
They didn’t have any more time to discuss it though, because Will and Francie came back in.
They watched a movie on TV and talked more than watched it.
Before any of them knew it, it was well past 11:00.
Sydney said, “Vaughn, we should get to bed…Barnett’s coming tomorrow.”
”Ok,” he said and Will and Sydney moved him to the bed.
Sydney looked at Will, “I’ll call you when we’re ready, ok?”
”Sure…” he said, “I’m just gonna take Donovan out and then I’ll be back, ok?”
”Uh huh…”
Will walked out and Sydney and Vaughn set to work getting him ready for the bandage changing.

Chapter 81: Seeing is Believing

“Perhaps the sea’s definition of a shell is the pearl. Perhaps time’s definition of coal is the diamond.” – Kahlil Gibran

“Your saying to me, ‘I do not understand you,’ is a praise beyond my worth, and an insult you do not deserve.” – Kahlil Gibran

“No law or ordinance is mightier than understanding.” – Plato

“All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them.” – Galileo Galilei

“When we talk about understanding, surely it takes place only when the mind listens completely-- the mind being your heart, your nerves, your ears- when you give your whole attention to it.” – J. Krishnamutri

Sydney looked over at Vaughn, “You sure you’re ok with this?” she asked.
“Yeah…it’s ok…”
”Ok…”
Sydney removed Vaughn’s shirt, but left everything else in place. She handed him a glass of water and his last pills of the night and then sat down next to him on the bed to wait for Will.
He poked his head in a few minutes later, “You guys decent?” he asked.
“Yeah, we’re not THAT bad,” Sydney said.
“You are too…” Will kidded.
“Well, yeah…but not right now,” she said sweetly.
She turned serious, “You ready?”
”Yeah…” Will said.
“Ok…” Sydney said, moving over to Vaughn and letting Will stand where ever he wanted.
Sydney took the rib wrap off and set it on the nightstand.
Will inhaled a breath when he saw all the bandages on the front of Vaughn and he could see the white patches all over his back too.
Sydney and Vaughn didn’t really seem to notice. Sydney was too involved in what she was doing, and Vaughn was too involved in the process.
She eased him back on to the pillow, changing the bandages on his chest and abdomen first.
She looked over at Will, “You know if you really want to see…you’re gonna hafta come closer than that Will.”
He smiled apprehensively; “Yeah…” he moved closer to look over Sydney’s shoulder as she worked.
“Do you want me to tell you we’re doing?”
He shook his head, but didn’t say anything.
“Ok…first we have to take off the rib wrap, which basically supports Vaughn’s ribs so it’s easier for him to breathe…it takes off the pressure from his lungs too…then we start with the bandages. I usually start with the ones on his chest, just because now, they’re the easier ones to do…”
She grabbed the cloth she had sitting on the nightstand explaining, “Lately, with some of the wounds, the tape has been irritating his skin, so it causes him less pain if I use the washcloth.”
She gently pried up the end of the tape.
Francie stuck her head in the doorframe, “Are they really gory?” she asked.
Sydney and Will turned and Vaughn looked between them over at the door.
“Well, they aren’t scrapes,” Vaughn said.
Francie came into the room, taking Will’s hand. He held on tight, but he wasn’t sure it was for her sake or his own.
“What did I miss?” Francie asked.
Will fielded the question, “First Syd takes the rib wrap off,” he motioned to it on the nightstand, “that supports his ribs and takes the pressure off of his lungs…then she starts with the bandages on his chest, cause they’re easier…she’s using a washcloth so it doesn’t hurt so much – the tape’s irritating.”
Sydney smiled, “Well…someone’s been paying attention!”
Will smiled.
“I’m gonna keep going here…” Sydney informed them as she went back to her task with the washcloth.
She peeled the edge up and began to pull the bandage off. “Ok guys, this is gonna be the first wound you see…” she warned looking at them both.
Francie looked kind of scared, and Will’s look was one of curiosity and fear all mixed into one.
“This is a surgical incision,” she said as she peeled away the last bit of the bandage, “I’m really not going to change all of the bandages – because they only need to be changed once a day now, but there are a few I have to check more often…the ones irritated by the tape and the one that’s infected.”
Will leaned closer to get a good look at the wound. He tilted his head to see the whole view. Sydney backed up to get the Cavilon and then came back, with that and a fresh bandage in her hand.
Francie looked over Will’s shoulder, not really certain she wanted to see it.
Once she saw it, she said, “It just looks like a stitched wound…like a cut…”
Sydney smiled, “Yep, this one does…that’s what most of the incisions look like, because they were just surgical cuts…”
She took the foam applicator and touched up a few of the spots she missed after his bath.
“What’s that?” Will asked.
“This is Cavilon™ No Sting Barrier Film, it protects the wound and also helps with the tape irritation…it’s like an invisible band-aid – it keeps contaminants out but still allows the wounds to breath and ooze if they need to.”
”Ooze?” Francie said hesitantly.
“We’ll get to that,” Sydney answered, “we’re just using this for the tape irritation…this wound isn’t infected.”
She finished with the Cavilon and then placed a new gauze pad over the wound.
“Ok…now…we’re ready to move on to your back,” she said addressing Vaughn.
He nodded and helped her to sit him up.
Once he was sitting, Sydney moved to sit behind him. The other two occupants inched closer to Sydney.
“Ok, I’m gonna check a few of the smaller burns – tape irritation, before I go onto the infected one…”
They nodded and Sydney took a few of the smaller bandages off.
Francie gripped Will’s hand tighter as Sydney removed a few of the small bandages.
Will looked at Vaughn’s profile to check for a reaction, but there wasn’t one.
Sydney grabbed the first aid cream from the nightstand and placed a small amount, gently, on each one of the burns.
“Why do those get the cream?” he asked.
Sydney continued to concentrate of the wounds, and didn’t look up, but said, “Because these are burns…they’ll heal faster with the burn cream…”
Francie was trying to bite her tongue, and fight back the anger that was threatening to rise in her, “What kind of person would do that?” she said, but it wasn’t really a question.
Neither Vaughn nor Sydney cared to answer that question.
Sydney finished with the cream and then applied some of the Cavilon before placing new bandages over the burns.
“Ok,” she started, “now comes the really good one…”
Sydney took the cloth and prodded the edge.
Vaughn moved and said, “Mmph…”
She placed a gentle hand on his shoulder, “Easy honey…I’m sorry…” she said softly shaking her head.
Francie was practically wrapped in Will’s arms; she was hiding her eyes with her hands. Will was completely silent, just taking in the whole scene.
Sydney got the edge of the bandage off and then slowly peeled. She would have warned her friends a little more, but the wound seemed so sensitive, that she was too worried about Vaughn to worry about their reactions.
Tom had been right, the TAD bandage came off much easier than a regular bandage and it didn’t stick to the wound, but that didn’t change the fact that the wound was still oozing, and that stuck to the bandage…so either way, it was going to cause Vaughn pain.
His eyes were closed tightly, his right hand gripping the sheet as Sydney peeled it off.
Will’s eyes were transfixed on the bandage being peeled; he really had no idea what would be underneath.
Nothing prepared him for the sight underneath the bandage.
Francie moved a few fingers, peeking out, and let out a cry and followed it with, “Oh my God…” when she saw the wound as well.
Sydney could tell by the way Vaughn’s shoulders were tensed that this was not a pleasant experience, “I’m sorry honey,” she said, “just a few more seconds and I’ll have it off…”
She didn’t want to pull off anything that was needed for the wound to heal, but she wanted to end his suffering as soon as possible.
Francie moved out of the room, but no one seemed to notice. Will stayed firmly planted in his spot, his eyes trained on the wound in front of him.
She finally got the whole bandage off and set it aside. She checked it; it didn’t look good, but once again, it didn’t look any worse. If she had to pick one word to describe it, the word would have been: painful.
She grabbed the washcloth and dabbed over the wound, trying to get some of the puss off of it.
Vaughn groaned and moved away.
“I’m sorry baby,” she said quietly.
She checked the Cavilon, which seemed to be intact and doing its job and then grabbed another one of the TAD bandages.
“Is that the seaweed one?” Will asked, finding his voice.
Sydney nodded, applying the pad gently, but it still made Vaughn groan again.
Once she had the pad secured, then she continued telling Will about it, “Yeah, it’s made from Scottish seaweed. Basically, it’s just more absorbent than regular bandages…so it like, sucks up all the oozy stuff, and it doesn’t stick to the wound as much.”
Will made a face and then asked quietly, “…was that from a whip?”
Sydney moved around him to get the rib wrap and answered shortly, “Yes.”
Will watched her again as she eased the wrap over Vaughn’s ribs, and noted that thankfully, the wrap didn’t seem to come up to height of the infected wound.
Sydney grabbed Vaughn’s tee shirt and then carefully reclined him on the pillow, positioning him again so the wound was not pressed into the pillow.
She touched his face, tracing his cheek and he smiled weakly.
“You look tired again baby,” she noted, pulling the covers up as far as they would reach with him sitting up.
She placed the sling on his arm again and then seemed to finally realize that they were missing someone.
“Where’s Francie?” she asked, looking at Will.
“She…uh…she left…I think it was a little much.”
A moment later, Francie reentered the room, looking sheepishly at the other occupants, “I’m sorry…I want to apologize,” she said taking a spot at Will’s side.
Vaughn looked over and waved his hand, “There’s no need to apologize…they aren’t very nice to look at…”
”No, I want to…” Francie said, “I want you to know that I didn’t leave because of you…or really because of the wound…I really needed to leave before I hit something…seeing that…finally, really knowing what you went through…I had to get out…”
Vaughn nodded.
Will continued, “I guess that’s why I asked to see it too…I wanted to understand,” he said looking at Vaughn.
“It’s not the same to be told…and I don’t mean it to sound like I didn’t believe you were tortured or anything, but if you see it for yourself, then…well…then there aren’t any more questions…I mean…I still have questions…” he trailed off, not knowing what else he wanted to say.
“I really have to say though,” he added, “my respect for you has shot through the roof Vaughn. I wouldn’t have survived that…I really admire you…”
“Me too,” Francie echoed.
Sydney smiled, “Me too…” she said smiling at Vaughn.
Vaughn was trying to keep his composure, but he was failing miserably. His brow furrowed and he said hoarsely, “Well…I don’t feel very strong…and I sure didn’t then either…”
Sydney moved to sit beside him and Francie sat down on the edge of the bed. Will stayed standing but moved closer to the bed.
“Listen,” Francie started, “it isn’t about feeling strong…does anyone? It’s about getting up again…even when you don’t feel strong enough to do it.”
Will added, “It’s about not letting them keep you there…”
”Yeah, well…I don’t have a lot to do with that either,” Vaughn said looking at Sydney.
She smiled and took his hand, “I’m just moral support…you do most of it on your own…”
”That’s a crock!” he said, chuckling slightly.
“You could have just given up Mike,” Will reminded him, “but you didn’t.”
”Well, I wanted to, but I knew Sydney would kick my ass…”
She gripped his hand tighter, “It’s not a matter of why you didn’t give up; it’s just the simple fact that you didn’t give up…that’s enough…” She leaned over, kissing him.
Francie kissed him on the cheek and Will gave his arm a reassuring squeeze.
Will smiled, “Plus, now you have us too…” he said motioning to Francie and himself, “and we’ll kick your ass too…just so you know…”
Vaughn smiled, but pretty much lost it after that, and the three moved closer for one big group hug.
When they parted, Vaughn chuckled, “Well, that was corny…” but everyone could tell by the look he gave them that he had enjoyed every second of it.

Chapter 82: The Unattainable Angle

“I'm astounded by people who want to 'know' the universe when it's hard enough to find your way around Chinatown.” – Woody Allen

“When a friend is in trouble, don't annoy him by asking if there is any thing you can do. Think up something appropriate and do it.” – Edgar Watson Howe

“One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love.” – Sophocles

After the hug, Sydney wanted to get Vaughn settled.

“Ok, Tom said you should try to lay at a different angle…so the pressure stays off of that wound…”

”Yeah…”

She looked to Will, “Can you stay a minute? In case I need help moving him?”

”Yeah, of course,” Will said. Francie and he backed up to give her room to maneuver Vaughn.

“Ok…let’s try…” she looked at him, “let’s try having you lay on your left side first.”

He nodded wearily and she moved to help him. She pushed the covers down so they wouldn’t get tangled in his legs and grabbed onto his right arm so he could have some leverage to move. He wound up lying on his left side largely by himself, but Sydney still had his arm, so not all of his weight was on his side yet.

She gave him a look, asking for permission to let go and when she got it, she tried to let him down as slowly as possible. As soon as she let go completely, his eyes shut tightly and his face contorted in a grimace.

“Ahh…” he groaned as pain shot through him, “sh…shoulder…” he got out.

Sydney instantly grabbed his arm again, relieving some of the pressure on his shoulder.

“Ok…not a good angle,” she said, helping him into the sitting position again.

Will and Francie exchanged worried glances, but held their tongues.

“Right side?” Sydney asked cautiously.

He nodded again wearily and reclined more on the bed, hissing in a moment of pain when he pressed his infected back into the bed too hard. Sydney’s eyes filled with concern, but she realized it was his back and grabbed his arm again, tilting him upward so his back would avoid contact with the bed. She then helped him get on his right side. He winced again as a different kind of pain radiated from his side and chest, “Ah God…” he moaned. Sydney was there again instantly, helping him to the upright position.

She looked down at him, worry again evident as she watched him struggling.
He was slightly out of breath and she could tell that the pain medication was not helping the situation much, because agony was written all over his face. A light sheen of sweat had broken out on his forehead, and she realized that he was overexerting himself here. She reached for the washcloth and went to the bathroom, rinsing it off and then came back to wipe his face off. His cheeks were flushed and he breathed a sigh of relief when the cool material soothed his hot skin. She took extra time trying to soothe him, running the cloth over and over his face, trying to erase or at least alleviate some of his discomfort.

His breathing was still labored and when he finally looked over at her, she could see that this was taking its toll. It was no wonder he slept so much, when simple movement still caused him this much pain. He looked tired and fed up with the whole ordeal; she could tell this was going to be one of those frustrating moments for him.

She cupped his chin, and made him look at her, “Hey…just go easy on yourself, ok? Let’s not get discouraged…we’ll try something else…”

He nodded, but didn’t respond.

“Ok…let’s strategize…” she started, thinking, “we’ve tried both sides, and those are out…back is also out for now…our other options are stomach and…well…sitting up…but that’s not going to be very comfortable.”

He looked at her fatigued, but he didn’t make any suggestions or alternatives.

“Stomach?” she asked quietly, “You wanna try that one yet?”

He nodded.

“How should we do this? What side do you want to turn on to get to your stomach?”

He debated a moment, before saying, “I guess…right…”

”Ok,” she said moving to grab his arm and ease him onto his side. He reacted similarly, groaning and in obvious pain over being on his side. She reached around him and tried to be as gentle as possible when she grabbed his sides to flip him on his stomach. She eased him down on the bed, his head turned to the side, facing left, away from Will and Francie.

He pushed his head up using his forehead and changed the direction of his face, but that didn’t help. He moaned again pushing his head up again and finally wound up pressing his forehead into the pillow in agony.

Sydney moved once again, “Vaughn…oh honey…” she said turning him over and cradling his head in her arms.

“That one’s no good either, huh?” she asked in a soothing voice.

He shook his head fervently, and she noticed that his breathing was really labored.

He confirmed that with rasping out, “Can’t…breathe…”

”Ok,” she said, “It’s ok…” she rubbed her hand gently up and down his chest, “we’ll figure something else out.”

He relaxed into her arms, just happy that he wasn’t in pain at the moment, and savoring the comfort that Sydney provided.

Once he was calmed down, she prodded, “We should really try another way Vaughn.”

She eased him upright again and sat back, trying to figure something out.

“Well…why don’t we…” but she trailed off.

He sighed annoyingly, “Just forget it Syd…just leave me here…”

”That won’t be very comfortable…”

”Well, I’m not comfortable anyway…so what does it matter?”

She sighed, realizing that he might have reached his limit for the night.

“Vaughn,” she started.

“Don’t,” he stated flatly.

Sydney looked to Will and Francie who had been watching the whole scene, feeling the agony of the couple, but unable to help.

They looked unsurely between themselves and Sydney and didn’t know what to do.

“Maybe we should just let you guys work this out,” Will said, and he and Francie walked out quietly.

“What was that about?” Sydney asked, trying to keep her voice even.

“It’s just pointless…it doesn’t matter…I should just lie on my back and be done with it,” he said huffily.

“Vaughn, you know you can’t…it’ll just wind up making the infection worse…”

”What does it matter?”

”How can you say that?” she asked, her voice rising slightly.

“You know what?” he said, “It’s a whole hellava lot different from where I’m sitting here Syd. It’s real easy for you to tell me it’s gonna be alright and that I shouldn’t get discouraged, and Tom can tell me all he wants not to get discouraged, but that’s a bunch of felgercarb. That’s all it is…felgercarb! It’s easy to tell someone not to be discouraged when they can go and do all the s*** they want to, when sitting up doesn’t make them feel like s***. Don’t get frustrated? I can’t even get up to go to the bathroom by myself! I can’t make love to you, I can’t do ANYTHING! What the f*** am I supposed to do? How am I supposed to feel? Everyone tells me I can feel any way I want, well, then I’m gonna feel discouraged and frustrated goddamnit! I don’t really care if the infection gets worse, it’s not like I’m not gonna be in pain if it’s not infected…pain’s all I know anyway…why shouldn’t I embrace it?! At least I’d be able to breathe and have a semblance of relief, but NO! we gotta f*** with that too!” He stopped, breathing heavily and looking extremely fatigued, his head plopping back against the pillow, letting out a deep breath.

Sydney stood in a state of surprise at his outburst. He was normally so controlled, and she had a flash of the story his mother had told her about pee-wee hockey…he’d just exploded now…this must have been bottling up for a while now, she thought.

“Vaughn…” she started again, but he looked up at her and the look in his eyes dared her to say something more. She decided that the less said, the better at the moment.

She also realized that she was rather angry with him, “You know what Vaughn? I sit here every day too…I see what you go through…and while I don’t have a first-hand account of what goes on in your mind or I don’t experience your pain first-hand, I’m still here…I’m only trying to help…” she said and then walked out of the room.

Vaughn watched her go and felt instantly horrible. He breathed deeply for a minute, trying to get his breathing back to a normal level. He wanted to call out to her, to make her come back, but he was too tired to do anything else but rest at the moment.

He lay quietly, thinking, and before he knew it, his head was starting to drop. His eyelids fluttered closed and his head fell slightly forward, slowly falling further until his chin almost rested on his chest.

~ ~ ~ ~

Sydney stormed out of the room and she stalked into the kitchen looking for a glass of water.
Francie and Will looked at her uncertainly from the living room. She grabbed her glass and plopped herself into a chair next to the couch where they were sitting.

“You ok?” Francie asked.

“Yeah…” Sydney said smiling.

“What was that all about?” Will asked.

“He’s just frustrated…I’m surprised he hasn’t done that before…I think it’s been coming for a while now.”

”Is he ok?” Francie asked.

“I think so…”

”Is he awake?” she asked as well.

“What I walked out he was…”

Francie looked at her strangely, “You left him alone?”

”Yeah…he was being obstinate…I had to get out of there for a minute…”

Neither Will nor Francie commented.

“You think that was mean…” Sydney said, but it wasn’t a question.

“No,” Francie said, “it’s just…well…he’s been through so much…I mean I’d be a hellava lot more pissed off that he is…seems pretty natural to get angry like that…”

”So I should have stayed to have him yell at me some more?”

”If that’s what he needed…”

”Why do I have to be the one he needs to yell at?” she said but instantly regretted it.

Will fielded that one, “Syd…come on…you’re like the only one he talks to. What is he gonna blow up at me and Fran? I think the better question is, why are you taking it as a personal attack? He was just venting I think.”

”You know what Will, you go in there and he can yell at you and then we can have this conversation.”

Will remained calm, “He’s not yelling at YOU Sydney…he just had something he needed to say…he’s gonna feel like s*** now when you go in there…”

”If I go in there…” God she hated that way that sounded, what was wrong with her? Where was this coming from? “Look guys…I’m sorry…I…don’t know where this is coming from. I know all that stuff you just told me…I know…it’s just…difficult…”

”You don’t need to apologize to us Sydney,” Will said, “that’s what we’re here for – to tell you when you’re being stupid.” He smiled.

“Gee thanks guys…” she smiled back, “But really…thanks…”

”No prob.” Will said.

“Anytime,” Francie echoed.

She got up from the chair and went off to talk to Vaughn.

~ ~ ~ ~

She came into the room saying, “Look Vaughn…I’m sorry I–“ but she stopped, seeing that he was lying down. She smiled; he must have fallen asleep. Strange, she thought, he’s not on the pillow…and he’s curled on his side…the left side…the one that hurts to lie on…something was wrong.

“Vaughn!” she shouted, running over to the bed.

Chapter 83: Breathless

“Silence is a text easy to misread.” – A. A. Attanasio

“I am open to receive with every breath I breathe.” – Michael Sun

“A friend is one to whom you can pour out the contents of your heart, chaff and grain alike. Knowing that the gentlest of hands will take and sift it, keep what is worth keeping and with a breath of kindness, blow the rest away.” – Unknown

She ran over, gently trying to turn him without hurting him, “Vaughn!” she shouted again.

His eyes were closed and his breathing was strained. In fact, she couldn’t hear him breathing. She checked the oxygen tank, thinking it might be empty, but it was still at a reasonable level.

Will and Francie ran into the room, “Syd?” they said.

“Vaughn!” Sydney said again, turning him over on his back.

She stopped, looking at him, but there was no change.

“What’s happening?” Francie asked.

“I don’t know…I came in…I found him slumped over…” she put her ear to Vaughn’s chest, listening.

“His heart’s beating…” she felt at his neck, “he’s got a pulse…”

She put her ear near his nose and mouth, “he’s not breathing right,” she said.

She straightened him on the bed, and then came back to his head, tilting it upwards, so his chin was perpendicular to the bed. She opened his mouth, checking for obstructions, but there weren’t any.

She should feel breath coming out, but none going in. She placed her mouth over his and blew a breath into his lungs. She watched as his chest rose and he let the breath out shakily. His eyes fluttered and she sighed in relief, but when his eyes met hers, she knew that there was still something wrong. He shook his head, trying to tell her something, but he couldn’t make the words come out. He closed his eyes tightly, and she could tell that he couldn’t breathe again.
His chest was on fire, he couldn’t make himself breathe in, no matter how hard he willed it; it just wouldn’t happen.

Sydney stilled his head and placed her mouth over his again. She blew a breath in and watched again as his chest rose and fell with the breath. But the same thing happened; he struggled again after she had helped him.
Her brow furrowed, trying to figure out what was wrong.

She placed her mouth over his again, tilting his head again, and keeping one hand on his neck and the other moved to his chest. She left her mouth over his as he let the breath out, and then just continued to breathe with him. She started to press on his chest when the breath needed to be let out and then she would elevate him slightly when he needed to take the breath in. She continued her process until the fear left his eyes and he seemed to be struggling less. Then she carefully moved her mouth away from his, but stayed close enough to start again if he needed it. She kept her hands firmly planted where they were in a comforting gesture.

She smiled when she noticed that he seemed to be breathing on his own again. She kept up her motions though, pressing gently on his chest on the exhale and elevating his head on the inhale.
She gave him a few minutes to relax and just breathe and then asked softly, “What happened?”

”I’m sorry…” he said in a raspy voice as tears sprung to his eyes.

“It’s ok…you’re ok…” she said, not understanding why he would apologize for her helping him.

“No…” he said, “about before…I’m sorry about before…I don’t know what was wr–“

She placed a finger over his lips, “Don’t…I didn’t handle that well…we’ll talk about it later…what happened after I left?”

”I fell asleep…I must have leaned over too far…and I couldn’t push myself back up…my shoulder hurt too much…ribs hurt…and I couldn’t breathe…”

”So you couldn’t call?”

”Un uh…”

“Ok…it’s ok…are you ok now? Does it feel like you can breathe ok again?”

He nodded, “I don’t know what happened, it’s like I forgot how to breathe in…”

”It’s ok…don’t worry about it…”

They spent a few minutes just relaxing, he getting used to breathing again.

Will interrupted them; “Uh…guys…I hate to disturb you…but is everything ok?”

Sydney smiled, “Yeah, I think we’re ok…you wanna stick around though? We have to come up with some way that Vaughn can lay comfortably and I only have one idea left…but I’m gonna need your help I think…”

”Sure,” Will said moving closer.

”Why don’t you just give us a few more minutes, K?”

“Yeah, sure…” Will said, moving towards the door, “Just call…”

Sydney looked down at Vaughn; he looked worn out. “You ok?”

”Yup,” he said, but he wasn’t very convincing.

“It’s ok if you’re not Vaughn,” Sydney assured him.

“Can I have some water?” he asked.

“Sure…” she got up and ran to the bathroom, grabbing a glass of water and returning, taking the seat she had just vacated. She lifted him up and helped him sip the water. Once he was finished, she placed the glass on the nightstand.

“So what’s this new idea you have?” he asked.

She smiled, “Well…I thought maybe we could try me sitting up and you leaning, and we’d just position you so you wouldn’t be putting pressure on your back.”

”But then you’ll never get any sleep Syd.”

”I will sweetie, don’t worry.”

”No,” he said.

”Vaughn,” she warned, “you have to get some sleep…”

”Not at your expense,” he refused.

She sighed, “Well…then…the only alternative is for you to lay on your stomach…”

”That doesn’t work well Syd, I can’t breathe…”

”Well, we tried it with your head just on the pillow and nothing else under you…”

”Yeah…”

”Well, we’re gonna put something else under you…”

”What?” he asked confused.

“Me.”

His eyes shot up to look at hers; she was smiling.

“Syd…” he started.

“Let’s just try it, ok?”

He looked uncertain, but he would have done anything she asked. She removed his sling and set it aside.

“Will?” she called when she knew she had his consent.

He bounded in, Francie not far behind.

“K, here’s what we’re gonna try…We’re gonna turn Vaughn over, but he can’t touch the bed, and I don’t want to have him lay on either one of his sides, cause I think he’s been through enough of that tonight…anyway…once we have him rolled over, I want you to pick him up and lay him on me…”

Will looked at Francie, “On you?”

”Oh come on Will! Get your mind out of the gutter, we’re both clothed!”

He smiled, “Let’s do it.”

They both lifted Vaughn gently so that he was turned over and then Sydney made sure Will had a firm grip and slipped underneath Vaughn, supporting him with her hands pushing up on his chest. Then she instructed Will to lower him, and he did so with careful agility. Vaughn sunk into Sydney’s arms and winced.

“Syd,” he rasped, “I don’t think this is gonna work.”

Will was about to move again to get him off, but Sydney stopped him, “No, Will…go grab a few pillows…”

Will and Francie both ran off and came back with an armload of pillows. Sydney rubbed Vaughn’s back as they waited, trying to keep him calm through his somewhat difficult breathing.

“Ok, now I’m gonna push up, and you put a few pillows under my legs…”

”Isn’t that just gonna put more pressure on his chest?” Francie asked.

“Just do it, ok?” Sydney asked.

They both shrugged, but did as Sydney requested, putting the pillows under her legs.

Once they had the pillows under her, Vaughn seemed to settle, and his breathing slowed.

“All we need is a free airway,” she said, stroking her hand through his hair and rubbing his back with her other hand, “the pillows give us that, and he’s already used to the pressure on his ribs, aren’t you?” she asked.

He mumbled a sleepy reply from where he was perched on Sydney’s chest.

“Actually, with the pillows under our legs, he’s about level. Remember the pillow under my head makes that part more elevated than the rest of the body…Leave the other pillows here though, in case I need to elevate us more…”

”Sure,” Will said, moving them over to the bed, “Just uh, call if you need us…”

”Thanks, Will. Thanks, Francie,” she said as they waved goodnight.

Vaughn’s breathing had picked up a normal rhythm and he was resting comfortably on Sydney.
She smiled, feeling his body relaxing; the muscles that had been so tense today, finally giving into her touch.

He winced slightly and Sydney shifted him so that he was comfortable again.

“You ok? Think this is gonna work all night?”

”I’m ok now…I don’t know about all night…”

“Well, let’s just take it a little at a time…”

He was lying with his head facing away from the bedroom door, nestled under Sydney’s chin. Sydney made sure that his shoulder wasn’t at a bad angle, and the arm was lying limply at her side. His other hand was curled slightly under the pillow that her head rested on. One of her hands roamed pattern on his back and up to his hair, and the other rested on his neck, cradling his head into her.

“Syd?”

”Yeah?”

”Are you sure I’m not too heavy for you?”

”No sweetie, you’re not…you haven’t ever been too heavy before…”

”But usually my whole weight isn’t on you then…”

”It’s fine Vaughn…I’m good…I’m comfortable…are you?”

”Mmm hmm…”

”Good,” she said happily, “You get some sleep now, ok?”

”Yeah…”

~ ~ ~ ~

She stayed awake for a while; just waiting to make sure he was going to be ok for the night.

Will and Francie poked their heads cautiously into the room before they went to bed.

“He ok?” Francie asked.

Sydney whispered, “Yeah…I think he’s ok…”

”Are you gonna be able to stay that way all night?” Will asked.

“We’ll be fine,” Sydney assured them, “but I’ll call if we need anything…”

”Ok,” Will agreed, “Night Syd.”

”Night Syd,” Francie echoed.

“Night guys…thanks…”

They smiled as they shut the door and went off to bed themselves.

Sydney allowed herself to sleep after a few more minutes, after reassuring herself that Vaughn was ok.

Back