Choices and Paths

santosaidan

~3 Musketters~
This is going to be a partner story written by myself (santosaidan) and my friend Amanda (Weiss’s Girl).

While ultimately this will be a single story it will take two divergently different paths to reach the singularity. The story will start from the same exact moment in time and then split into two.

These two stories are the two paths that Sydney Bristow’s life could have taken. We will each be responsible for one path and in the end of the story they will meet up again – showing the path that Sydney chose.

So you will be able to know what she could have had and what she will achieve from her choice.

The flapping of a single butterfly's wing today produces a tiny change in the state of the atmosphere. Over a period of time, what the atmosphere actually does diverges from what it would have done. So, in a month's time, a tornado that would have devastated the Indonesian coast doesn't happen. Or maybe one that wasn't going to happen does.

~Ian Stewart on Chaos Theory

Everything we do has a consequence.

Disclaimer – We own none of the characters of the world of Alias – and we are in no way affiliated with anyone from the show, production companies, or studio that are responsible for giving us Alias every week.

Boy do we wish we were.

On with the story -

They had picked this church because it was small, and they really didn’t have many guests that needed to be accommodated. The location was out of the way – up the winding highways of the coast of California where the dust gets kicked up in the road as you drive along twisting and turning as you go.

She was wearing a white dress made of tulle which floated around her body in its simple ruffles. She wore white flip flops on her feet, and the only jewelry she wore were a simple pair of white gold hoops and a simple diamond ring on her right hand. In her hands was a simple bouquet of white calla lilies held together with a blue piece of lace.

It had seemed since she had started the walk up the aisle to him that all the air and sound inside of the room had vanished. She had made the solo walk in slow motion and once she made it to him she had handed her flowers over to Kerry. Then she turned to face him with a warm smile and butterflies beating in her stomach.

Standing there holding his hand she could feel the warmth behind it, his warmth, their warmth. Focusing on the priest in front of her she watched his mouth as he spoke – making out every word.

It felt strange to her to be standing up there, in front of these people. She felt almost like she was putting on a play - standing there in her new dress with him in his new suit – trying to make everything new.

Here so far away from all the things that had transpired in her life she thought it might actually be possible to move on – to alter her history – to leave pieces, and people behind.

Turning her head she looked at his face – so solemn. He studied every word that was being said and nodded along with the priest. The changes in him were so evident in this setting and in this ceremony.

Sensing her focus of attention on him he looked over at her and squeezed her hand reassuringly in his own.

Looking back at the priest for only a moment, he started to faithfully recite the vows that would link him forever to her – the vision in white in front of him. The woman he knew he had not repented nearly enough to deserve.

It was only after he had finished his vows in the moment of silence before she was to begin hers they heard the noise of someone walking toward them from the side.

He knew who it was before he even looked in the direction of the sound coming from behind him just from looking into her eyes. How he had found them was simple.

It was the why that both of them deliberated on as the whole church fell silent and still waiting to hear what he had to say.

Let us know what you think. If you guys like it we'll go ahead and get ready to post the begining of Sydney's differnt path.

wow this sound very interesting. i have no idea who the people and won't make a fool of myself by saying what i think :lol: can i please get a PM when this is updated?

Ahhh who the hell is it?

They may recognise them by the footsteps but I have no clue- well a slight clue but I'm not even gonna say...

That is Syd and Vaughn right?

And, and have you guys seen sliding doors?

this is such a cool idea :D

PLease pleaseplease can I get a PM :D

🦇

!n@$en+ said:
wow this sound very interesting. i have no idea who the people and won't make a fool of myself by saying what i think :lol: can i please get a PM when this is updated?
[post="1241895"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Of course you can get a PM when we update. Thanks for asking.

You can never make a fool of yourself for taking a guess at who it might be. I promise you'll know who they are when we update.

Thanks for reading!

i said:
[post="1242649"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]

Oh - come on you don't want to share who you think it is - that's okay. :smiley: I totally understand. I promise you will know who they are when we update, and yes Syd and Vaughn are in the room.......

No I can honestly say we haven't seen sliding doors - is it a movie or a show?

Thanks - I'm glad you like the concept - I actually came up with it while I was driving yesterday. I was just trying to think of something to day dream about as I passed the time on the road.

You are so on the PM list - in fact if you didn't see the story in a day or two I was going to PM you anyway! lol

Keep a look out for a PM in a day or two.

*Glares at screen*
I WAS NOT INFORMED OF THIS!!!
*pouts*

But....*jawdrops*....Oh....*lifts chin*....MyGod.....

You guys, this is such a good idea!
It reminds me of the butterfly effect....sorta....

And wanna hear my theory?!?!
Do ya? Do ya? Do ya?
*listens to crickets chirp*
Well tough lucks, youre gonna hear it anyways....

One path...with Sark...the other...with Vaughn....
So I think that the guy up ON the alter with Syd...is Sark!
And the guy that comes in to object, is Vaughn!

Now the REAL question is....
Is Miss Sam and Miss Amanda gonna go with Sam's partial shipper heart and choose Sark?
Or is there gonna be contriversy, and we get to see Syd and Vaughn end up together like they were meant to be?

*ponders*
Well I guess Ill have to keep reading to find out!
PM me, PLEASE!
Luv you guyz!
Ash

*Glares at screen*
I WAS NOT INFORMED OF THIS!!!
*pouts*

He he, sorry - I just thought up the idea yesterday driving home, and well - you were still at schoo........

*hands over flowers and chocolate*

Please forgive moi! I loves you. lol

But....*jawdrops*....Oh....*lifts chin*....MyGod.....

You guys, this is such a good idea!

Thank you, thank you - I think its a pretty good idea myself.

It reminds me of the butterfly effect....sorta....

Never saw the movie but I do know the chaos "butterfly" theory. That is kind of where the idea came from.

And wanna hear my theory?!?!

Of course I do - and we talked about this on the IM. You know what I think - smarty pants!

Well I guess Ill have to keep reading to find out!
PM me, PLEASE!

Yes you will have to keep reading and of course you are on the pm list.

Luv you guyz!

Love all around.

Kisses,
Me

fire*N*ice said:
eeek!  hurry and update!  pm please
[post="1243786"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

We are hurrying - and as soon as we are done we'll update.

Consider yourself on the pm list!

:smiley:

Just so you guys know we are just proofing and then we'll update. Expect an update tomorrow evening.

This is the PM list as of right now. If you want to be added just leave us a post and you will get right on our list.

!n@$en+
i'm an aliasaholic
luckylass
shotput25ash
fire*N*ice

To those of you who want a PM - thanks from both of us.

Sam

Path One - by Santosadian
Now that he was there and could see her, he had a moment of pause.

“Is this the right thing to do? No, the right question is to ask, do I have the right?” he asked himself.

He looked down the aisle at the white dress. Trying as hard as he could, he could not figure out how it had come to this. How she could be in front of God with him, him of all people.

“How can she trust him? Why?”

Knowing that he had to do this, remembering their whole history – even the sad and bad times, he took a deep breathe and started walking up the side of the church.

At first no one heard or even noticed him. Their was no one on the groom’s side of the church – the side he was traveling along. No one heard his movements at first because they were all focused on the vows being spoken.

Pausing at the head of the aisle he listened to the words being spoken.

“I give to you my sacred vow that as your husband, I will always be with you and support you
in times of sickness and in times of health
in times of joy and in times of sorrow.
I promise to love you completely
to console and comfort you during difficult times
to encourage you to achieve your full potential
to laugh with you and to grieve with you
to share with you life's simplest but most enduring pleasures
to be truthful and honest with you,
and to cherish you for as long as we both shall live.”

It was all too much, and he couldn’t bear the thought of hearing her vow her love to him. Before she could speak he stepped forward and into her line of vision. Looking into her eyes he could see the shock of seeing him there.

“Hello Sydney,” he said surprised by how steady his voice was since he
was shaking so much on the inside he thought he might bring the church down to its foundation.

“Why,” was all Sydney could muster as her eyes welled with tears? “Why are you here?” she asked, her look pained.
“Sydney I think we all know the reason he is here.”

“But I need to hear him say it.” She responded looking at both of them.

“I came here for you Sydney. I came to take you away from here. I came to talk to you.”

“You came here for me, to take me away, and to talk to me? I am not yours to have, or take, and we both know that we don’t have anything else to talk about. That part of our lives is done; it has been for a while Vaughn.”

“Are you running Syd, is that what this is?” He asked gesturing to her and Sark. It was the only way he could rationalize it in his head. There was no way that she could honestly love him. Her love was too pure, too honest to ever be his.

“Do I look like I am running or being forced Michael, honestly?”

“That isn’t an answer Sydney.” He said taking a step closer toward her. To his amazement Sark stepped to the side and out of his way.

“You don’t have to do that Julian; he won’t be staying much longer.” Sydney said her eyes looking tired as they locked with his.

“Take all the time you need love.” He nodded reassuringly to her.

Sydney turned away from Vaughn and took a deep breathe in.

Everyone in the church tried to look as though they weren’t looking and listening when in all honesty there wasn’t really anything else they could do. Churches are in fact built in a way to make you focus on what is ahead of you.

Sydney’s friends looked around at one another not knowing what to do. Most of them had had the opportunity to see Sydney and Vaughn at their height but they had also seen them at their lowest. Words had flown between the two which wounded more deeply than a bullet.

But that is often the way it ends between to people as deeply intertwined as Syd and Vaughn. They fought hard, and defended fiercely. Sydney was willing to take chances on people – Vaughn was often hesitant to give people a second time round - hurt me once shame on you hurt me twice shame on me was his philosophy.

Vaughn asked to be assigned to another team and was granted the approval, and from then on in their mutual friends made sure to never invite them to the same function, and they stayed as far away from one another as they could. They needed space to heal the fracture.

And so it went until the fracture set the way it was – broken and bumpy. It was never to be whole again. Each went on their separate way.

He was the first one to date again – as men often are. They need to serve their ego, even if their heart isn’t healed yet. He even took some of his dates to places he knew that Sydney liked to go on Saturday afternoons to read a book and sip coffee, wanting to make her feel the way he did – acting like a little boy.

Sydney had taken this as a sign that he was moving on and things would never be the same. She crowded around her friends and meditated on it a lot. She decided that nothing in life could be perfect, and that she had put to much pressure on their relationship, in unrealistic proportions.

Over the course of time she had moved on. Slowly at first and if anyone had asked her if she would have entertained the thought of marrying Julian Sark she would have laughed and asked them if they needed their head checked. But after a year of his working at the CIA after confessing everything he knew and agreeing to work with them as part of a pardon. Sydney had learned that there were many sides to Julian Sark that he almost never let out because at a young age he had learned that his emotions left him vulnerable.

It had been time, space, and familiarity that had bred their relationship. The time was slow, the space was freeing, and the familiarity was endearing.

Then it happened. She realized that she was looking forward to seeing him, and she would wonder what sarcastic remarks he would make that day to egg her on to laugh even as she tried to keep her composure.

It had been Julian of all people who told Sydney that she really needed to reconnect with Vaughn.

“You need to talk to him even if for nothing else but for your own closure Sydney. This is about you and not letting someone else hold your life hostage.” He had explained to her one night in Hamburg, Germany as they danced in a ballroom pretending to be a wealthy heiress and her playboy boyfriend.

She didn’t know if it was being spun around in circles of silk or the safety of being over 5,000 miles away, but she took the initiative that evening back at the safe house after the mission was over.

She had opened up an e-mail on her laptop and had typed in his address and told him that she thought they should talk.

Vaughn had never replied to it, he was taking his time still acting like a child.

One day he had shown up on her door step unannounced only to have Julian Sark open her door. From where he stood he could see Weiss, Marshall, and Carrie inside. It wasn’t seeing them there, or even Sark answering the door or the fact that he wasn’t invited to her gathering of friends, including Sark, which made him snap inside – it, was hearing her laugh. Just as happy and easy as it had ever sounded in their most private moments.

Barging into the house he had marched right up to her and that was when the barbs were slung. Things from deep inside, hurts that had been festering all their time apart.

In the end Weiss and Sark had helped Vaughn to the door. Weiss had driven him home and listened to him fume on and on about Sark. That was who Vaughn hid his anger and hurt behind. He wouldn’t listen to anyone, and didn’t believe that he and Sydney were not a couple.

In fact they weren’t. Not for another six months.

Now two years later they were in front of a priest.

And this was the moment Vaughn had picked to try and fix things left long ago broken.

Sydney turned back around to him and studied his face. She had loved that face so much before – it had always meant shelter and safety from the storm around her. Even now with all the pain she could see part of the old Vaughn in his eyes. An un-tortured part of him, but it was buried so deep in him. Below her “death”, beyond his deceptive marriage, far below killing Lauren, and covered by the sadness of seeing her there with Sark.

A part of her wanted to reach out to this Vaughn, she wanted to help him heal, and pull back all those layers of hurt and deceit. (I thought that this was a piece that you could put in yours as well – if it fits. It just seems to me to be a thing that she would think either way.

But she had tried.

And she had been hurt in return.

It was a chapter of their relationship that on this day she refused to visit.

Sydney looked over at Julian, a man she still had a hard time believing she loved, but she did. She remembered the exact moment that she realized she loved him and that the emotion was reciprocal.

They had gotten into a habit of going to the park for coffee and a walk on any Saturday they were home. Sometimes they even met Carrie and Marshall there to walk with Mitchell.

It was a normality of Sydney’s to always have an elastic hair band and a tube of Chapstick with her. On this particularly windy day she had been running uncharacteristically late when Sark had come to pick her up. As she rushed out of her house to Julian and his waiting car she passed right by her Chapstick and hair band.

Sydney didn’t realize this error till she went for her elastic in her pocket to tie her hair back that she hadn’t grabbed her staples off of her counter.

As she turned to Carrie to ask if she had a spare when she felt Julian’s hand tug on hers. She looked over to see why and saw in his other hand a green elastic and a pink tube of Chapstick with Cinderella on the tube.

“Which one were you looking for?” He asked with a soft smile landing on his lips.

“The elastic.” Sydney said looking up and into his eyes.

They had stopped walking while Carrie and Marshall pushed forward with the stroller. Julian stepped behind her and pulled her hair back into a lop sided and bumpy pony tail. She could feel her hair pull in the unfamiliar placement but didn’t move to touch it.

“Thanks.” She said as he came back around to her.

“I am many things Sydney, but proficient in hair styling is not one of these things. It’s okay for you to fix your hair.” He said laughing as she bopped the pony tail from side to side.

“I’m sure it looks fine.” Sydney said through her giggles.

“Here you might as well put this on since it’s out anyway.” He said as he handed over the tube.

“Where and why do you have these?” Sydney asked. She knew it sounded ungrateful, but she was feeling funny – kind of like she was swimming underwater.

“You left them in my car the other day. I know you always like to have them around so I thought that I would just have them available in case you ever needed them and forgot. That’s all. There was nothing sinister involved.”

“I never said there was.” She said as they started walking again.

Such a simple thing seemed even more thoughtful to her than a handful of flowers or a box of chocolate.

Sydney felt the breeze from the door Vaughn had left open rustling her skirt. She remembered that for the first time in a long time that afternoon in the park she felt cared for, and thought it was nice.

It had been so long since Sydney had had anyone to let take care of her.

It was just a simple action for him to do, and for a silly reason – and he didn’t even know if she would even need it, but still he brought it with him and watched and waited to see if she would need it. It made her pause and wonder what he would do if she was really in trouble or needed someone or something.

Would he still be thinking of her? Would she have to ask?

She had found out that he would always keep her in the front of his mind as he went through his day.

Even to this day he always had an elastic and Chapstick on him, she was willing to bet every cent that she had in the bank that even in his suit he had them in his pocket.

She wondered what was in Vaughn’s pockets.

“Vaughn, I am not running. I want to be with Julian and I want to share my life with him.” As she spoke she stood straighter and set her chin turned up.

“Don’t. Don’t just throw us away.” He pleaded with all he had, probing her eyes with his trying to get through to her.

“Please leave Michael. You don’t belong here, not now, not anymore.” Sydney said looking right into his eyes imploringly.

“No, I can’t let you do this Sydney. If you don’t want to be with me than I can live with that, but don’t marry him.”

“I believe that she asked you to leave Mr. Vaughn.” Julian said taking his place back next to Sydney.

“This is not about you or what you can or can not live with Vaughn. My life does not hang in the balance of yours anymore.”

Vaughn stood there and watched as Sydney placed her hand back in Sark’s. He felt his stomach turn.

“Please. If you have any respect left for what we were once than you will leave. That way we can both still have some fondness left for one another.”

Vaughn felt his shoulders slump but couldn’t move from the spot he stood he was glued. The he felt hands on his shoulders. He looked behind and saw Dixon and Weiss standing behind him.

They gently tugged at his shoulders pulling him backward.

Away from Sydney.

Back toward the door of the church.

He felt the sun hit his face as they walked outside.

Vaughn could hear Weiss talking but couldn’t make out the words.

The only thing he could focus on was Sydney and Sark at the front of the alter. Watching the ceremony proceed.

Dixon noticing Vaughn’s stare walked over to the soft brown door to the church and closed it.

If he had been inside he would have been able to hear Sydney speaking.

“I read this poem when I was in high school. I always thought I would be lucky if I got to recite it and truly mean what the words convey. I can do that with you Julian – and I am sure that it is not a poem you ever read in your snotty boarding school days.” She said with a laugh.

“No I’m sure I have not. I tended to stay away from flowery poems about love back than.” Julian said. Trying to ease the tension left on Sydney’s face – courtesy of Vaughn.

“Well here it goes. It’s called Cycles.
Wildflowers bloom on a mountainside,
As icy waters on their tumbling ride,
Flow in haste to meet the Sea,
On a cycle that will always be.
Cycles, cycles everyplace,
Even in my life, I face
The fact that cycles often race
With no regard to proper pace.
So I was born and grew up fast,
And now I'm free to love at last,
And need you Julian to complete the chain

Of the cycle that is to be my name.”

It was after the poem of love that the priest took back over the ceremony and aided Sydney in her vows to Julian. Having less than half the ceremony left to complete it took no time at all and Sydney and Julian were told to kiss to seal their union as one.

Smiling and full of hope that now things would move forward Sydney took Julian’s hand and walked down the aisle and out to the parking lot to wait for their guests.

Vaughn was already miles down the highway sitting next to Eric wondering how it all could have gone so wrong when something had been so right.

Sydney had been afraid that Vaughn would be there again to disrupt her happiness but when they walked into the sunshine only Dixon was standing there. The first one to congratulate them both.

Twirling her in the parking lot and then dipping and kissing her Julian erased the last of the tension from her brow and put a smile on her lips as bird seed rained down on them.

Holding hands fingering her wedding ring he smiled. For once in Julian Sark’s life something had gone right.

Hope you like it - and don't disregard it or hate it just because it's Sark. Let me know if you want on or off of the PM list. ;) :angelic:

Path Two - Weiss's Girl

It was all too much, and he couldn’t bear the thought of hearing her vow her love to him. Before she could speak he stepped forward and into her line of vision. Looking into her eyes he could see the shock of seeing him there.

“Hello Sydney,” he said surprised by how steady his voice was since he was shaking so much on the inside he thought he might bring down the church.

“Why,” was all Sydney could muster as her eyes welled with tears? What had she been thinking, did she really believe she could escape her past.

“Why? Was I just supposed to disappear? Was I supposed to stay in the past?
Are you running Syd, is that what this is?” Vaughn asked moving closer to her.

“Well I’ve got news for you Sydney - you can’t run from your past it’s what makes you who you are. It is what made you the woman I love - the woman I have always loved. Please don’t do this Sydney, don’t hide from your past, from us by marring him, come with me. At least talk with me before you do this. Don’t just throw us away.” He pleaded with all he had; probing her eyes with his gaze knowing that he had to get through to her.

She looked at him, and then turned to the man standing beside her; the man she was marring. The man who could help her leave the past behind and help her move on.

Then she looked back at him, and the memories flooded back. Then she looked at the priest, begging him to provide her with the right answer.

“Sydney, are you ready to continue?” The priest asked, breaking the silence that had washed over the church.

But she didn’t hear the question. She was lost in Vaughn’s eyes, memories washing over her like waves in the ocean determined to keep her pulled under.

She studied his face, the one she had loved so much, the face of the man who had offered her shelter and safety during some of the craziest times in her life.

She could feel the pain radiating from him and she could see it etched in his whole being, yet she could still see part of the old Vaughn in his eyes. The parts of his soul that were un-tortured, buried deep within, away from everything else. A part of her wanted to reach out to this Vaughn, she wanted to help him heal, and pull back all those layers of hurt and deceit.

Memories of times spent with Michael, the happy times, but then things had gone so wrong.

She had been removed from her life, ripped from those she loved. It was because of this that he had moved on – on to a life with out her.

When she came home and rediscovered her life she had been so incredibly hurt, she could barely stand to be in the same room with him. She had felt betrayed and alone.

Then they had discovered his wife, Lauren, was a traitor, of course she would be the one who had to find out. Sydney Bristow never got any breaks, and of course he hadn’t believed her at first.

But eventually too many things were out of place and then reality had set in on him. In the end Vaughn had killed Lauren.

It was a choice he had to make – Sydney or Lauren, and he chose shooting his wife to save Sydney.

It was after that awful night that he had started to act like he just wanted to move on. To go back to where they had been before they were forced apart years before. Vaughn had wanted to continue – to pick things up as if nothing had interrupted them, as if there was no history contained in the past three years of their lives.

It became clear that he didn’t want to deal with his anger or what he had done to Lauren or what she had done to him. Vaughn wanted to run away from it all and use Sydney as his shield - but she couldn’t do that for him.

Sydney being the analytical thinker that she was needed to talk things out and move slowly.

Watching from their pews, Sydney’s friends began to shuffle in the silence, looking around at one another not knowing what to do.

Sark, had stepped to the side and was looking at the ground knowing that this moment would completely change his life.

Sydney still hadn’t noticed any of this though - as more memories these even more painful overtook all her thoughts.

Words had flown between the two, which wounded more deeply than a bullet.
And they began to spend less and less time together, Vaughn asked to be reassigned to a different team and his wish was granted, Their friends stopped inviting them to the same events, and the space between them grew until they simply couldn’t speak.

Vaughn had turned into a spiteful little boy dating and making sure Sydney saw him and his dates as often as possible. So to save herself Sydney had stopped going out. She started to become a prisoner of her own pain.

Sydney forced her gaze away from Michel she was crying now tears running freely down her face, and looked at Sark, the man she was supposed to marry today, the man who had freed her from her prison.

When he had been captured he had worked himself a deal, he would help bring down the Covenant, for his freedom. The CIA had gone for it under one condition; he became Sydney Bristow’s charge and partner.

At first she was pissed. How could they force her to do this?

But as she and Sark worked together more and more, he started to let down his guard – he started to let her in.

And the next thing she knew she was going to dinner and the movies with him.

She wasn’t hurting anymore.

Sark had been the one who had even suggested that she try to work things out with Michael, if for nothing else closure. Try she had, but Michael had shut down all her attempts, not willing to speak with her as long as she was willing to trust Sark.

She looked back at Michael “Why, why now? I’ve tried so many times Michael, I’d finally let you go. Why are you suddenly willing to talk to me.”

“I was a fool Syd, unable to let go of he anger and betrayal, please come with me now, and let’s talk.”

“Sydney” Sark began, “go I will never have your heart unless you do. Take your time love, you know where to find me if you need me.”

“Sark,” Sydney began but he left the church through the side entrance before she could finish her sentence.

“Ok Michael lets go talk.”

Let us know what you think! ;) :P

Back