Drama Closer (2004)

No, no and no.

I saw this tonight with my fiance. What a huge disappointment ... it's nothing like the previews make it out to be. People were walking out early and when the credits started to roll, everyone in the audience just sat there like WTF.

I haven't been this disappointed about a movie since I can remember, which is too bad because the previews made me want to see this sooooo bad.

Really? I've only heard good reviews for it.

I know that the previews were misleading. There's some clips online, suggesting that this is a dramedy, rather than a drama.

What did the previews make it out to be for you?

Webmistress Eh? said:
I know that the previews were misleading. There's some clips online, suggesting that this is a dramedy, rather than a drama.

What did the previews make it out to be for you?
[post="1096516"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Oh, there were elements of humor to it, I will give it that. I was thinking it was going to be something more along the lines of Unfaithful with regards to infidelity and how their lives were affected by their actions. It was a bit like that to a certain extent, but I could not get into the movie at all even though I really wanted to in the beginning.

Webmistress Eh? said:
Oh yeah. The reviews are all pretty much mixed. Hmm...
[post="1097638"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
I think people are either loving it and hailing it a masterpiece or they are hating and saying it's meaningless. ;)

hotpot said:
I think people are either loving it and hailing it a masterpiece or they are hating and saying it's meaningless.  ;)
[post="1097702"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
I'm the former...I in no way call it a masterpiece, but I did really love it. The previews were misleading, but to me it was a pleasant misleading. It was intriguing to watch and I think all four of the actors did a great job (although seeing Natalie Portaman like that after all of the other films I have seen her in was awkward, LoL). All in all, I liked pretty much everything about it: the concept, how it was filmed. Call me naieve, but I just wonder how realistic it is, and if people really act that way....

Hmm, it's good to see different reactions to it. I mean not everybody is going to love every movie, no matter what everyone says. I still plan to see it, I wanted to see it this weekend, but I live in a small town. I'm going to have to wait till next weekend. But I will see it. And I hope to enjoy it.

I just saw this movie last night. It was quite possibly one of my favorite movies of all time. It was completely, brutally honest. There is no sugar coating what so ever of relationships and the hell that they can be.

All four actors did superior work and I love to watch a film where none of the actors tries to out do the others on screen as if to say, "this is my movie, my scene, now back off!"

The movie gives you a bit of an uneasy feeling while you watch it if only because of the way the time line is exposed. So pay attention so you know exactly where you are in the film.

Please do not judge this film (or any other film, for that matter) by their previews or by other's "reviews." I believe IMDB.com gave this movie an F and there is no way I believe it deserves it.

So if you have even a smidgen of interest in seeing it, be prepared for some great acting, great editing, great music, and incredible directing. But also be prepared that this is not some action filled, sexual romp for eyecandy type of film. It's smart, and talky and honest. My brother wanted to see it because of Natalie Portman being a stripper and it being about cheating so he assumed it would be full of sex. It's not. There's no sex scene, although they are talked about and described in full.

Gotta add this movie is INTENSE. It's one of those that you either love or hate and I loved it. There is a reason that Natalie Portman and Clive Owen got Golden Globe nominations; they made this movie. Portman is all grown up (which is funny for me to say since I'm younger, but oh well) and Owen smolders in every scene. None of these characters is very admirable, but they ARE fascinating.

Baaa...I really hope my local theaters play Closer. I have been waiting since September, dammit! And they still aren't. It really seems like it is a great movie.

I finally saw it!!! I really liked it. It is a brilliant piece of film. It shows what lying and deceit can do to people. It tells so much about life and love. The timeline thing gets rather confusing, but I believe that I got it. It is definitely intense, and the movie flows on the intensity of what is going on. Natalie Portman was excellent in this movie, and I did not at all find it awkward. I'm happy that she got the Golden Globe nod. And Julia Roberts definitely was good in this film. I think it was one of her best performances to date!! Yet she didn't get a Golden Globe nod. Jude Law was good, yet I can somewhat see how he didn't get a nod. And Clive Owen knew, he just knew, what he was doing.

But wow, one amazing movie.

I had been waiting to see this movie for quite some time and I saw it over the weekend, finally! I agree that some of the reviews and descriptions of the movie were misleading. Honestly, I was quite suprised when Owens and Law were chatting on the net, but it was unquestionably the funniest part of the movie.

Onto my mini-review. Overall, I loved it! After the credits started rolling, I just sat there and had to soak it all in and review the movie in the mind before I said my judgement because all my friends had begun to diss it and after I wiped away my tears, i stood up and said wow, Loved it!

Reasons why I loved it(and why I cried, trust me, not a common reaction to that movie, well from the people I have talked to who have seen it, just laughed when I told them I was crying by the end).

I agree with all of you who have said the four actors were phenomenal, becuase all four of them pull their weight and then some! I also would like to re-iterate the fact that this movie is insanely intense! After the scene between Julia and Clive, I realized I had been holding my breath the entire time. You could feel the tenseness in the theatre, it was as if you were standing next to them in that icy room the entire time. I loved the feeling afterwards because everyone in the audience felt that tenseness and awkwardness and betrayal and hurt. Some didnt know what to do with that feeling, and like in live theatre, when there are scenes of intense emotion and awkwardness afterwards, people will laugh. Since not knowing what to do with this extra emotion and tenseness, almost everyone was halfheartedly chuckling and catching up with their breathing habits.

I loved how you never loved one character at a time and never really rooted for one either. Nor did you hate one character the entire time. Thoughout the movie, I could pick a scene where I loved a character then one second later I could pick out another scene and want to scream obscenities at the character I just wanted to give a hug to. To me, that is excellent writing and acting. I mean you never love a person 24/7. Yes you may love them, but at one time or another, every person you love is going to annoy you or disappoint you. Bringing me to my next point.

The movie was raw and real. Towards the end it become alittle predictable, but at the same time not. I had guessed after Anna disclosed what happened after her luncheon with Clive's character, that someone was going to die. To many people I would have been wrong, but I still think I am right.

In a way, each of the characters died. They all killed each other throughout the movie and are just wafting through life. This is one reason why I cried. They were "forced" to be with someone they did not want to be with and seperated or disappointed by the ones they loved.

When Anna rolls over in bed and just stares out into darkness, you know she is thinking of Daniel. And you know Clive's character is always going to be wary and watchful of his wife. There will always be that icy tension. You can feel it from the bareness and minimalistic decorations of their apartment. (Another thing I loved: how the settings always depicted the emotions brought out in the scene. Notice how at the resturant and at his office, everything is chrome and sleek and basically, cold. Loved that aspect!)

*Sorry this is beginning to become very long, but I did enjoy this movie alot. Which once again is suprising of me, because people who know me were quite suprised that I would even want to see this movie let alone fall in love with it.

I will allow someone else to get a word in now, but I just want to share one more tidbit I got from the movie. Of course I will be back with more thoughts on it! ^_^

I thought overall themes of the movie were the role trust, truth, and love play a part in relationships and how they can tear them apart. I love when Jude Law says "if you're in love, why leave?" I know paraphrasing, but it creates a little debate inside you're head. What if you are in love with two people?

Also I loved how Alice Ayres aka Jane Jones was lying to Jude law's character the entire time. she wanted someone she could be completly honest with but she also wanted someone to depend on. Jude Law was safe while clive owens character was the person she wanted after all. But she knew he did not want her. *I wish I still rememerbed what she said about lying and truth at the art gallery. I remember thinking that was a great line.

Well I see I have carried on long enough. Please forgive. and see this movie with caution. ;)

What an excellent review! Wow, very good. LoL 👍

I agree with you about everything. Especially about the scene between Julia and Clive. That, to me, is probably the most uncomfortable scene in a movie that I have seen in a while. But it also one of the best. And you are exactly right, afterwards there were people chuckling, like they didn't know what to do with themselves! LoL

I really want to see this again. I think it might be better the second time around for some reason.

Victoria King said:
I agree with all of you who have said the four actors were phenomenal, becuase all four of them pull their weight and then some! I also would like to re-iterate the fact that this movie is insanely intense! After the scene between Julia and Clive, I realized I had been holding my breath the entire time. You could feel the tenseness in the theatre, it was as if you were standing next to them in that icy room the entire time. I loved the feeling afterwards because everyone in the audience felt that tenseness and awkwardness and betrayal and hurt. Some didnt know what to do with that feeling, and like in live theatre, when there are scenes of intense emotion and awkwardness afterwards, people will laugh. Since not knowing what to do with this extra emotion and tenseness, almost everyone was halfheartedly chuckling and catching up with their breathing habits.

It was very tense during that scene. Being a huge JR fan, to see her being that raw was amazing. It was like whoa... She was literally becoming the character. All of them were.

In a way, each of the characters died. They all killed each other throughout the movie and are just wafting through life. This is one reason why I cried. They were "forced" to be with someone they did not want to be with and seperated or disappointed by the ones they loved.

Very well said. They did die. You can tell from Anna and Dan's kiss in the beginning. It was a downward spiral that would even out at times, but eventually would just crash.

When Anna rolls over in bed and just stares out into darkness, you know she is thinking of Daniel. And you know Clive's character is always going to be wary and watchful of his wife. There will always be that icy tension. You can feel it from the bareness and minimalistic decorations of their apartment. (Another thing I loved: how the settings always depicted the emotions brought out in the scene. Notice how at the resturant and at his office, everything is chrome and sleek and basically, cold. Loved that aspect!)
[post="1121506"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Very true. The sad thing about it is that Dan created his own disaster. But there is definitely the coldness that will stay between Anna and Larry.

I just read this over at Rotten Tomatoes and could not agree with it more:

"It's a rare film in that it thoroughly involves the audience without presenting a likable character."

There is not one character in this movie that we are supposed to like. But yet, somehow, we like movie. LoL

Back