Collateral damage

Eyghon

Cadet
COLLATERAL DAMAGE
Eyghon

Author's notes: It’s my first Alias fic and I’m French, so go easy on me please… Thanks to Lenafan for beta reading, you're doing a wonderful job ! I’m a big fan of Irina and I wish there have been more Syd/Irina’s moments in the show, so my fic will be like half about that. It’s obvious, but I’m going to say it anyway, I don’t speak Russian but Irina and her SVR buddies do, so you just have to pretend that they are talking in Russian.

Summary: It’s hard to make one which sounds appealing without giving too much away...
AU : After leaving America when Sydney was 6 years old, Irina was “re-educated” in Kashmir and sent back in the field to work for the KGB. When the USSR collapsed, she joined its replacement, the SVR, and has worked for them ever since. There is no SD-6, no “The Man”, but Jack does works for the CIA, without Sydney’s knowledge, who is now a regular soon-to-be adult.

Prologue

Fyodor Chevchenko held a meeting in his office with his top agents, two men and a woman. All three were listening to him with rapt attention.

“Jack Bristow managed to escape Taipei with our disk. It contained important intel on both the SVR and the CIA, gathered by the Japanese intelligence. Needless to say, as soon as they decipher it, we will be vulnerable. It should have been them in this position! We had this disk, we could have had some of the names of their agents, some of their knowledge, some of the locations of their agencies and safe houses… but no! Bristow had to steal it from our agent, killing him in the process! He’s always getting in our way, making us look like fools!” The man burning with rage, ranting, but quietly concluded: “It would do some good damage to the CIA if they were to lose him.”

“What do you suggest we do, Sir?” Asked the youngest, Nikolai Valenkov, not sure what his boss was asking him to do.

“He must be terminated immediately.”

The woman flinched, but quickly covered it. “Isn’t it a little extreme, Sir?”

“Why do you think that, Agent Derevko?” He smirked at her, his contempt clearly showing.

Irina had to act carefully, as Chevchenko was well aware of who Jack was, or rather, has been, to her: her husband, and the father of her child, back in America, so many years ago.

“Well, as you said, he would be an important loss for his agency, as he is very skilled…”

“Are you praising an enemy agent, Miss Derevko?” growled her boss. He voluntarily called her Miss instead of Agent. It was well known here in Moscow SVR’s Headquarters that Fyodor Chevchenko was against the employ of women in the SVR’s ranks, and that he despised those whom he was forced to mix with.

“No Sir! I am merely saying that instead of terminating him, we should use him to our advantage.” Being called "Miss" was not pleasant as it was meant disrespectfully here.

“And how do you suggest we do that, of what use could it be to us?” He didn't see the point of her request and was intent on showing her. “He was captured several times by different agencies over the world and never gave away anything. Capturing him ourselves and torturing him would only be a waste of our time.”

Irina had come up with a plan a few hours ago, actually, she had started plotting different courses of action when rumours about an American agent about to be terminated had spread throughout the office.

Before, she wasn’t yet aware of the identity of said agent, but had assumed the worst, and planned ahead. Jack was an excellent agent, probably the best, and had been causing trouble to the SVR, among others, for some time now. She knew that it was only a matter of time before her superiors decided to get rid of him, even if it meant unleashing the wrath of the “o so powerful” CIA on Russia.

She couldn’t warn Jack that there was going to be a contract on his head, because he believed her to be dead, plus, it would be the death of her. She could not let him be killed either because of what it would do to their daughter. She couldn’t imagine her little girl, though now past the teenager stage, lose another parent. Still, she was not sure that she was making the right decision by exposing her plan to her superior, because if she was given the go ahead, it would jeopardize Sydney’s life forever.

“I’m aware of that Sir, but Jack Bristow has his weakness, as does every American man.”

Chevchenko, Valenkov and Probulov were watching her intently, waiting for her to carry on, but she remained silent.

She could see a spark of interest – or was it an evil glint? - in Fyodor’s eyes, as he prompted her: “And what would that be, my dear?”

The woman plastered one of her trademark smirk on her lips, interiorly swallowing the bile rising up her throat, before exposing her scheme to blackmail the infamous Agent Jonathan Donahue Bristow into giving them back the precious disk.

Chapter 1: Surveillance

Finally, the meeting was over. It took some time and a lot of explanations, but Irina managed to convince her superior she could get the disk back, and it seemed appealing enough that Chevchenko backed down of the idea of killing Jack. The fact the CIA would cause them even more damage if they were to kill Bristow was a good argument too: The CIA, in its kindness, and despite the ruthlessness of its “concurrent”, always used tranq darts instead of real bullets to neutralize enemies agents. They might no be as gentle if they came face to face with an agent from the organisation that killed one of their own.

The plan seemed simple enough, in its basic form, as she exposed it to Chevchenko and her fellow officers: they needed the disk that only Jack could procure, which he couldn’t do if he was dead, and to obtain the disk, they needed Jack’s cooperation, and for that, they needed a strong argument: his daughter, Sydney.

Fyodor gave her carte blanche, Valenkov and Probulov would accompany her to America. They would start by keeping watch on their target, who, as the daughter of a high-ranking officer of the CIA, would be protected. Learning her routine and the one of her surveillance team would help them determine the best moment to grab her. This was the most difficult part, to get her away from the US without leaving a trail. The whole mission would take a week, maybe more, there were a lot of things they couldn’t assess from Russia. They couldn’t wait too long either, because if the CIA deciphered the disk, it would be useless to carry on with the mission.

The three Russians left for the US the same day on a private airplane. They arrived at night and discreetly settled into a safe house in Los Angeles, just a few blocks away from where Sydney Bristow lived. They took advantage of the darkness outside to check out the neighbourhood, and possibly spot the CIA agents assigned to the girl.

The area was quiet, everyone seemed asleep as there were no lights coming from anywhere in the streets. It was almost one in the morning. The house hadn’t changed a bit in twelve years. The front door was the same, made of strong wood, not the easiest way to enter the house. The garden was well kept, full of roses.

There were no cars in the driveway, and Irina knew Jack never parked in the garage, so she assumed he was not at home at the moment.

“It’s a good thing. We don’t need him to interfere. It will be easy if she’s alone,” noted Nikolai.

“Yes, but check out the black sedan parked in front of the next house, they are not fitting in. I see two men inside.” Probulov was a talented agent, as was Nikolai, but in a different way. Aged of 49, he had seen lots of things, carried on hundreds of missions, and was a brilliant strategist. He would take care of everything related to Jack Bristow once they had Sydney. They were very much alike, maybe it explained why Irina liked to work with him so much.

“There is another CIA team behind the house,” announced Irina, who had kept driving around the block while observing her surroundings. They were nearing the back of the house, after passing by another sedan in which sat two more men.

Again, no changes in the house, there were bushes here and there, some of them partly hiding from the street the window on the left of the door, which lead to the kitchen. Irina remembered when she had seen the house for the first time, almost twenty years ago, on a rainy Monday. She had feared the sun wouldn’t come through the windows because of those bushes, but had been reassured when visiting the house a second time, in broad daylight. Jack and she had signed the contracts this day. Here too the door was reinforced, making it impossible to break in the house. Irina took note of that, as did her comrades: that would leave them only the window if they needed to get inside of the house.

Irina left the area as discreetly as she had come, without the CIA teams noticing anything suspicious about the blue SUV with tinted windows that had not even made a full turn around the block. The three agents smiled. Contrary to those stupid monkeys, they fitted perfectly into this neighbourhood, where the majority of the residents drove a SUV.

Sunday was a sunny day, it was now 11 in the morning and some of Sydney’s neighbours were washing their cars while others were mowing their lawn. Valenkov and Irina sat in their car, almost right under the CIA’s nose, and watched as their target made her way toward her neighbour’s house. She stopped in the front yard, saying hello to a blond woman who was watching over her three kids. They talked for a while and then Sydney took of running towards the park. The surveillance equipment stuffed in the car allowed the SVR’s agents to listen to the conversation, in which the blond woman thanked the brunette for baby sitting, adding that her kids adored Sydney ; thus causing a smile to creep over Irina’s lips. Her daughter had really turned into a fine young woman, perfect on all sides. In full jogger attire, complete with running shoes, her walkman’s earphones now firmly plucked in her ears, Syd put on her sunglasses and enjoyed her ride.

“She’s beautiful.” Thought Irina. She couldn’t take her eyes off of her daughter. It was the first time she was seeing her in ten years. Even from that distance, the mother in her recognized her the second she came out of the house. Her long brown hair held in a ponytail, her sparkling brown eyes before she covered them with sunglasses… She was amazing, Irina was captivated.

- “And here I thought all American girls were fat and only into alcohol and junk food! This girl is hot!” Her partner declared, seemingly amused, and oblivious to her.

Irina inwardly growled, she knew of her partner’s multiple flings, and how he treated women. The fact that he was hitting on her daughter was not pleasant, but she couldn’t really say “stay away from my child you pig”, so she just clinically observed: “She’s quite muscular, she must exercise a lot, it could cause us trouble, she could fight back harder than we expected.”

The man laughed, scornful. “So what? We’re SVR agents, she’s merely a girl, a kid even. If you don’t feel up to it, I can take her down anytime I want, she won’t be a problem to me.”

Irina glared at him, glared at him, and he swallowed. He knew he had better not screw up the mission, and fooling around with the woman was not a good idea. She was older than he was and he heard that she was one tough cookie and a damn good agent. Some even said she was a match for that American agent, Jack Bristow.

They couldn’t follow the girl because the men parked in the car got out, following her as best as they could. They were trained agents but the nice thing with surveillance is that you often get to just seat and watch. That’s when the Russians agents noticed that both were wearing jogging outfits.

“It must be a habit of hers if the agents came prepared. It could give us an opportunity.” Noticed Nikolai.

“I don’t know… it’s good for us but it depends on where she goes. There are too many people on the streets or in the park, we can’t grab her in broad daylight.”

“Yeah, you’re right, but look, there is no one watching the house anymore. Anybody can go inside unnoticed.”

“Except by the neighbours” snapped Irina. Valenkov was a good agent, he was young, strong, successful, but he had not Irina’s experience, least of all with this kind of mission. He tend to be too impatient, and she didn’t like that.

“They might not always be there. It’s safe to assume that the agents follow her everywhere she goes, and there’s no one watching the house meanwhile.

“We’ll see.”

They remained quiet until their target returned. She was not alone, a young blond man was jogging alongside her. They were followed by the two CIA puppets and arriving fast.

“We need more information on this man and on the agents who are watching the house, on their shifts.”

“I’m on it.” Nikolai started tipping on his laptop, with which their surveillance equipment was linked. He took a photo of each of the three men, trying to discover as much as possible on them, so he could give a complete report to his current boss, Irina Derevko.

“She’s barely sweating, and yet she ran for one hour…” quietly observed Irina, watching her flesh and blood invite the blond man into her house.

“Yep, we’d better not let her escape once we get her, she might just leave us behind.” Agreed her colleague, in an admiring tone that didn’t suit him at all.

Monday at 6h00 sharp, the blue SUV was parked at a different post, they couldn’t risk to attract too much attention. They also had switched the license plates, just in case. The day before, they managed to find out the identity of 8 agents assigned to Sydney. They also discovered the identity of the jogger, a Mr Will Tippin, apparently a friend from school.

At 7h15, they watched as the garage door opened, allowing a burgundy Ford SUV to pull out on the street. The car sped down the road, the sedan and the other SUV following closely.

“She’s driving?! How old is she?!” Valenkov was surprised.

- “Seventeen, the driving age in this state is sixteen,” flatly replied Irina. Inside, she was proud, her daughter seemed to be doing great on her own. But at the same time, she felt sad. Who had taught her little girl how to drive? Who had paid for the car, for her studies. Who told her about sex? Did she even have to endure it? Irina, her mother, didn’t get to see or do all those things with her, she didn’t get to see her grow up, but maybe she could change that, make it up to Sydney. Soon, she promised herself, soon. At least for now, she was able to watch her and learn a little about her. It had been twelve years without even a tiny bit of information on the whereabouts or the situation of her only child. It was hell, but she got used to it. Now that she had her almost right in front of her, she couldn’t imagine going back to Russia without at least talking to her.

The 'cortege' ended up at UCLA, a place Irina thought she would never get to see again. She hadn’t come back to America once since her extraction, ten years ago. Until this day, she had always managed to avoid being sent on a mission to the US. But she certainly didn’t regret taking that one! Being there, watching her daughter park in the student parking lot, seeing hordes of students making their way to their classes or the library… she suddenly felt homesick. She hadn’t noticed before that she missed America, Los Angeles, and especially UCLA, where she taught for several years during her 'stay'.

“The agents aren’t following her further than the parking lot and I don’t think they have someone on the inside watching out for her.”

Irina snapped out of her rather depressive train of thoughts and focused on the task ahead.

“Probably not, but then again, it’s too crowded.”

“Why don’t we just shoot the agents in the front of the house with a silencer, go in, knock her out and get the hell out of this crazy country?!” Nikolai was getting irritated, restless.

“The later they realise she’s gone, the later they’ll start looking for us, giving us a precious advance. That’s why we have to move in without them suspecting a thing. Plus, we can’t afford to have them see us, because they would be able to describe us when interrogated.”

“So what do you suggest we do? If we can’t capture her here or in her house, I don’t see what we can do!”

“Be patient and watch until we get an opportunity”. She was growing rather annoyed of the little brat; she didn’t like it when subordinates questioned her. It was an obvious sign of mistrust, the first step of betrayal. She scolded herself, she should have known better, Fyodor probably asked him to keep an eye on her, because he believed her to be 'emotionally involved'.

Was she?

Chapter 2: Planning

The surveillance went on for the rest of the week without Jack making any appearance, and yet the agents knew for a fact that Jack lived here with Sydney. They observed the young woman's routine from sunrise till the lights went out in the house. Daily reports were made to Chevchenko, who in his turn informed them of his progresses in monitoring the CIA's activities around the disk. They were not even close to figure out the code, so Irina and Nikolai had all the time they needed. The Russians noticed that the CIA agents never followed their target in where she was going, they just parked near enough to have her car in sight, or followed her in the streets, but never inside buildings.

Sydney left for the university everyday around 7h15 to come back before 17h00, she sometimes went to the library, the cafeteria, the running track, the swimming pool… She had no classes on Wednesday all day and on Friday afternoon, and used the time off to do nothing dealing with sports or studies: She would do some shopping at the local supermarket, hang out with her friends or just sleep in.

On Wednesday, both agents had observed as Sydney parked in front of a house a couple of blocks away from her own. A black woman was doing some gardening. She had gotten up and pulled her muddy gloves off to greet the younger girl.

"Sydney!"

"Hi Diane!"

Irina had felt a pang of jealousy at the sight of the two women hugging tightly, smiling broadly at each other. She had then wondered if that "Diane" had replaced her as a mother to Sydney. The thought alone had made her dizzy, from hurting or rage, maybe both.

"I'm here to get Francie, we're going to do some shopping"

"She'll be out in a minute, she's still getting ready."

They had talked about random things for a few minutes until a young black girl, presumably "Francie", had come out of the house. Both teenagers had hopped in the car, happily chatting and laughing. Thirty minutes later, they had pulled into the mall parking lot, to get back out a few hours later and head home.

Irina and Nikolai had noticed that the CIA so-called "agents" hadn't even bothered to enter the underground parking garage, but instead had parked on the other side of the street, meters away from the entrance. More surprising was that they both had gotten out of their car to eat a hot dog at a snack stand at the corner of the street, totally out of sight of the garage's exit. She could hear them talk through the high tech micro dissimulated in the antenna on the roof of her car.

"What's with girls and shopping?! She's been there last week already, and the week before that!" Groaned the older agent, a grey haired fat man.

'Probably somehow incapacitated for field duty, or just a bad element', thought Irina. His –very young- companion, most likely put there to take surveillance lessons, replied:

"I had this girlfriend a couple of years ago, she used to go to that mall like two times a week, but the practically never bought anything. I asked her about it, she said it was a girl thing, that I couldn't understand. I guess they're just doing some window shopping, you know, just looking at pretty stuff, wishing they could afford them."

The older man gave a huff of disdain, munching his hot dog like there were no tomorrow.

Derevko was fuming inside, they were supposed to protect her daughter against people like her… actually not quite like her, because she would never hurt her baby girl, but that's not the point. The point is, those two incompetent morons were no protectors, what if someone tried to attack Sydney, like an enemy organisation, or even a simple thief or a… whatever scum was walking the streets of this big city?! The thought chilled her to the bone. Nikolai too, had noticed the two men sloppiness, but hadn't reached the same conclusions as her.

"That's the perfect setting, a dark underground parking garage, with the right timing no one will see us take her, and the agents won't notice anything for hours." Nikolai was excited, surveillance definitely wasn't his thing, and it was so boring! He was more a man of action than a man of patience. Hell, he hadn't climbed on the top of a ladder so fast from sitting on a car and watching some random girl living her life! He was getting sick of waiting, but his partner had been right, an opportunity had finally arisen, and he intended to take it.

"Yes, indeed." Irina was not as thrilled as was Nikolai, of course, it's the opening they had been waiting since the beginning, she had to go through with it, the game was in motion, there was no backing down now. At least, she had a few days to ready herself to finally meet her daughter.

"You heard them, she'll probably come back next Wednesday. We should go in now, try to see where she's parked, with a little luck, she parks at the same level each time. We can check out the place, see if there are any cameras that we'll need to disable."

"What about the other girl, she will probably accompany Sydney again."

"Sydney?" questioned her companion. Irina stared at him blankly, then understood: She had slipped, she had called their target 'Sydney'. They never called her that, only referring to her as 'the Bristow girl' or 'the kid'. She had just made a huge tactical mistake. Now, Valenkov must suspect that something was amiss with her, and yet, he didn’t say anything.

"We'll just have to eliminate her and hide the body."

"It's little harsh, we don't need to go to that extreme. I'll take care of her, you'll take care of… the other.

"As you wish." He put the car in gear and they entered the underground parking garage, easily spotting the different cameras and more importantly, the "big grey box" that they'd have to hack into to disable the whole security system.

On Saturday night, the two Russians agents were watching the Bristow's house, they had decided to keep up their surveillance to get a back up plan in case things didn't go as planned in the mall the next Wednesday.

Several cars had arrived during the last hour. It seemed that there was a party, it would explain the extensive shopping that Sydney had done at the supermarket earlier. Of course, Irina knew what the occasion was, but she wasn't about to tell that to her partner.

The music could be heard from the street, but no neighbours seemed to mind, as no Police car had came by. 'Sydney must be a good neighbour if they tolerate that', thought Irina, remembering the blond haired woman whom Sydney did babysitting for.

She wished she could be there, inside, partying with her little girl, now officially a woman. Though she doubted Sydney would have ever allowed her to mix with her friends, there was nothing more embarrassing than a parent sticking around at a party. She wondered how in hell her daughter had managed to convince Jack to let her throw a party, but as he hadn't shown up for almost a week now, she guessed the girl didn't ask, mainly for the lack of someone to ask to. The CIA agent was probably in a deep undercover mission of some sort, on the other end of the world, unreachable, indefinitely.

It was incredible, in just a few days, she had learned so much about her daughter's life… she seemed so happy, so perfect… Irina felt somewhat guilty, she was plotting with the SVR to shatter that perfection, that happiness that her baby had managed to find…

A few hours after the first car had arrived, the house emptied, their occupants all going in the street, beer bottles and various glasses of stronger alcohol in hand. Someone had brought a few fireworks, the kind that you can detonate yourself and that still look pretty amazing. Sydney was among the drunks soon-to-be-adults, laughing as the colourful lights erupted in the sky, blissfully unaware of what was to come.

The next morning, around 10, the house was still quiet, everybody was probably still recuperating from the party, or more precisely, from the alcohol abuse. A few cars remained, some guests had taken taxis, some others, Sydney's closest friends most likely, had crashed in the living room. They could be seen through the open curtains of the room.

The Russians had stayed there all night, as had the CIA agents, though they had changed shifts around 6.

A black Sedan pulled up into the driveway, the almighty Jack Bristow had returned.

"The old man is going to have a stroke when he comes in here!" laughed Nikolai.

"He might get angry." Irina's responses were always flat, unemotional, as if she was uninterested, but it was just a cover. She was acting her cold usual self when in the inside, she was fearful. Yes, fearful, for her daughter. Jack would be so mad, he would probably ground the poor thing for weeks if not months. He had never been violent, not with Laura, and certainly not with Sydney, but still, his yelling skills were quite scary sometimes, there was no way to get used to it.

As predicted, soon after he had come in, yelling could be heard, coming from the upper floor of the house. Irina easily identified Jack and Sydney's voices. A few minutes later, Francie, Will and two other young men literally ran out of the house, amazing thing considering the amount of alcohol they had had only a few hours prior. They got to their respective cars, Will offering a ride to Francie, as she was the only one without wheels.

After a while, Sydney followed, an angry Jack on her heels, both exposing themselves to the agent's ears.

"Where do you think you are going?!"

"I need some fresh air."

"You are going to clean up this mess!"

"Just give me a minute okay…"

"What is wrong with you?! I can't leave you a couple of days by yourself without you throwing a party without permission?! You are drunk, and so are your friends, because of you! You're irresponsible!"

"Yes we drank a little, so what?! No one drove drunk, that's why there are crappy cars left in the street! That's why Fran, Will, Charlie and Danny stayed overnight! Why do you always have to make such a big deal out of things?!"

"Yes, let's talk about those boys sleeping with you…"

"For God's sake, they slept in the living room, meters away from me! What, did you want me to tell them to drive back to their place, drunk?! I get it, everything I do is screwing up things with you, is that it?"

"Don't bring that back to yourself, you're seventeen, you're under my responsibility, you planned a party behind my back, involving strong alcohol no less!"

"First, there was no one to ask too, you left me almost two weeks ago without saying much of a goodbye, and you didn't even call once! How was I supposed to contact you?! Second, I'll let you know that I'm not seventeen! I'm eighteen! It was my birthday yesterday, that's why we had the party!"

Jack stared at her, open mouthed, Sydney looking back at him with fury, until she came to a realisation.

"You didn't even know, did you?" Her voice was barely above a whisper, tears were flowing from her puffy red eyes, her anger replaced by deep sorrow. Her own father had forgotten about her birthday, her eighteenth birthday for crying out loud! Irina's heart sank. She knew what a special day it was.

"Sydney."

"Mrs Newman knew." She said accusingly, pointing a trembling finger towards the blond woman's house. "She brought me a cake with eighteen candles, and a CD that I actually like, wrapped in a shiny paper, with a bow..."

"I…"

"I could have understood that you that you weren't there, that you hadn't bought me anything, even that you hadn't called or written, because it would have been no different from the last twelve years… But you didn't even remember." She was desperately trying not to choke on her words. "All those years, it's been my only comfort, to somehow know that you knew… But yesterday, it was my eighteenth birthday, the most important day of my life until today, the only thing you had to remember about me for a whole year… but you managed to screw that up... like you do everything else when it comes to me." Her tone had taken a lower, deeper tone, her eyes cold as ice.

"Sydney."

"How dare you? How dare you giving me lessons, barging in the house, yelling about a couple of dishes, when you don't even remember your only daughter's birthday?! I hate you."

At that moment, Jack felt pain, like he had never felt before. Not when he had seen his comrades die before him, not when he had been tortured for days… not even when he had learned of Laura's betrayal. It was the first time that Sydney pronounced those dreaded words. He knew it would come, someday, he deserved it, but he would have never imagined that he would feel such pain.

Every teenagers fight with their parents, and say things that they don't think, that they regret. However, he knew, he knew Sydney didn't regret a word of what she had said, and he knew she had spoken the truth. And that hurt. He could take physical and psychological abuse, he was trained for that. But nothing had prepared him to feel what he was feeling.

Without giving him time to utter another lame "Sydney", she ran back into the house, leaving him there, paralysed, his face white as a sheet.

The argument wasn't over, the two –make it five- stunned agents watching in utter surprise as the young brunette came back in the driveway, a baseball bat in hand. Jack didn't move a muscle, mesmerised by the scene unfolding in front of him, or still lost in his thoughts.

Approaching the Sedan, Sydney drove the bat right into the driver's window, and leant inside, reaching for the hand brake that she finally released.

Without a word, she opened the garage door with her set of keys that she had picked up with the bat. She got in her car, threw the bat in the backseat and started her engine. She slowly pushed Jack's car out of her way in the street, careful not to push to hard so the car wouldn't bump into the cars parked on the other side of the street. Her SUV was far more powerful and bigger than Jack's long Sedan, soon she was free to go.

Jack was left standing outside, but he wasn't looking "ill" anymore, just… cold. It seemed that he had recovered from his previous "weakness", as he went back inside the house as if nothing had happened.

The CIA agents didn't go after Sydney right away, still stunned by what had just happened. They weren't the only ones. Irina was horrified, she could feel the bile rise to her throat. She felt so disgusted by her husband, and mortified beyond words by the violence of the confrontation between her husband and daughter. 'When and how had they become so estranged from each other?!'

She feared she knew exactly the answer to that question.

Chapter 3: First contact

The following day of their arrival, on Monday night, after their first visit to the Bristow's house the three agents had set up a 'plan of escape'. They needed to get out of the United States as soon as they had the girl. The first step was to steal two get-away vehicles, an easy task that Nikolai managed just fine. He took a white van and a silver SUV, the latter being the only inconspicuous vehicle that could fit two –breathing- people in its trunk. He had driven them to an isolated warehouse "owned" by the SVR near the outskirts of LA. They would then come back with their hostage, ditch the van and take the SUV instead.

An agent would get rid of the van while they would be on their way to Nevada. Once there, they would switch vehicles again and drive to McCarran International Airport in Las Vegas where a private jet would be awaiting them. The CIA would check every American, Mexican and Canadian airport after having found nothing at LAX. Many jets were continuously flying in and out of LAS; the SVR's would be one of many, an untraceable way of leaving the country.

Irina had designed the plan with Probulov's help, who would take care of his business with Jack on his own. The plane in Las Vegas was courtesy of the SVR, and Nikolai and her would pilot it themselves, as it was not essential to involve professional pilots, even trusted by SVR. The flight would be untraceable to Russia, their final destination, but they would make a quick stopover in France and take another SVR jet, just to be safe. Once in Russia, they would hide their hostage in a random house, on loan from a SVR agent who didn't need it. Even if the CIA discovered that the Bristow girl was in SVR custody, they would start with checking known possible locations such as warehouses, maybe safe houses, but they would never think of an agent house. It would be impossible for them to check anyway, because even the organisation's other agents were not privy to those personal information.

Today Nikolai was driving the van, they were waiting for Sydney a few blocks away from the mall, parked in a street perpendicular to the one she would be on. They knew where she was coming from and where she was going, no need to take the risk to be seen by the CIA agents by following her from her house to the inside of the mall parking. Around 14h00, her burgundy SUV passed them, closely followed by a black Sedan. Valenkov pulled out of their parking spot, turned left and ran the intersection's orange light to not get left behind. They could see a head above the passenger seat, probably Francie, as expected. In the Sedan, Irina recognised the agents from last Wednesday, they had kept the same shifts all week long. Today they would probably go back to the snack stand.

On the way to the parking garage, Irina had readied herself to act like an agent. This mission was no different than the countless others she had lead. Nikolai and her were on their way to capture her innocent daughter… no, scratch that. Nikolai and her were on their way to capture an important target for the SVR's interests. This was not an innocent girl, this was not her daughter. This was a soon-to-be prisoner of the SVR.
She was doing that for her country. 'My country, what a joke!' She had ceased believing in that felgercarb years ago, when the KGB, supposedly acting for the good of Russia, had forcefully pulled her out of her assignment in America. 'They made me give her up'. They had stolen her motherhood from her, they had kept her from seeing her baby girl grow up into what she was seeing today.

America had felt like home for years, home was where Sydney and Jack were. She was angry at her country for throwing her in hell when she had came back, but what would the United States have done with her if she had been caught? After all, today there was the "scandals" of Guantanamo Bay and Abu Grahib, who knew what the US government was hiding at the time? The fact that people "cared" about what happened to the Iraqis, Afghans and whoever else was in there didn't mean that anyone would have cared about Russians prisoners during or after the Cold War. Certainly they would have found a way to get back at her for "killing" their agents. Bunch of fools, if they knew! They could have left her to rot in there for years… Or maybe they wouldn't even have bothered with her and just sent her to the electric chair without other form of trial… But in this case, she wouldn't have what Russia was "giving" her today, the chance to see her daughter as a grown woman…

"We're almost there." Interrupted Nikolai.

Lost in her thoughts, Irina hadn't noticed that they were one block away from the parking garage. When they had come back from their first visit there, Nikolai had opened himself a back door in the mall security system so he could hack into it later.

She typed a few keys on Nikolai's laptop, instantly disabling the security cameras inside and outside the underground parking. They were nearing the access ramp, one car behind Sydney's. The CIA agents were getting out of their car, parked around the same spot as last week. 'Good boys'. Sydney directly went to level-2, and the SVR's agents followed, parking their van a few meters away from the exit ramp. They pulled their masks on, they were already wearing gloves so no prints would be left inside their car or anywhere else in this place.

Irina took a deep breath and tried to concentrate on the task ahead. As a SVR agent, it was her duty to bring their target in, by whatever means possible. There was no place for mistakes… or feelings.

Both agents walked stealthily between rows of cars, closing in on their target. Sydney had parked half way between the exit ramp and the elevator, Irina and Nikolai had a two minutes window to act.

They came from behind, Irina struck the black girl over the head with her gun, letting her collapse on the ground. She then picked up the car keys, which had escaped her daughter's grasp when Nikolai had grabbed her. For an instant, their eyes met, Sydney's full of terror and incomprehension, Irina's stone cold. Seeing the masked woman heading back to her fallen friend, Sydney struggled even more against her captor, screaming under the hand covering her mouth. Valenkov dragged her away from the brightly lit alley, towards a free spot next to a pillar, where he waited for Irina to come and give him a hand. They didn't need the girl to kick in cars while passing them, the littlest of shock could set off a shrilling alarm. He was tempted to use his taser to calm her down, but that would admit that she was giving him a hard time.

Irina didn't look back, simply picked up Francie and threw her over her shoulder as if she were a potato sack.

Sydney finally seemed to recall that she had teargas in her bag, her father had insisted that she carry one with her at all times, arguing that young women were easy targets for robbers in Los Angeles's streets. She didn't think it would ever come in handy, but she wasn't about to complain about having it right now.

Irina made her way back towards the burgundy SUV and dumped the body in the trunk, locking it and throwing the keys away. With the force of the blow, the girl wouldn't wake up for hours, and by the time she was rescued, the SVR agents would be long gone.

Sydney's hand finally closed on the tiny bottle, she closed her eyes and pressed the button, aiming the spray behind her, where she thought the man's eyes were. Miraculously it worked and he let go of her mouth, but was still holding her against him with the other.

"Let go damn it!" She tried to hit him, without much success, her only satisfaction being that he was still groaning from the pain in his eyes. The commotion had alerted his colleague, who was now hurrying towards them. Sydney had momentarily forgotten about the woman.

At that moment, the elevator's door opened, the woman barely had time to duck in the row of cars before the occupants could see her. She soon joined Nikolai and Sydney, who was frantically struggling against the man. Irina brusquely pressed her taser against Sydney's neck, causing her to instantly loosen her grip on Nikolai's arms, but she wasn't out yet. She felt defeated, she hadn't seen the woman coming, too busy struggling to notice her creeping behind the row of cars, out of sight of the newly arrived people. She was about to use the little strength she had left to try and scream, despite Nikolai's hand still covering her mouth, but the woman, seemingly reading her thoughts, pulled out her gun, training it on the people who had just walked out of the elevator: A woman and two children, a little boy and a little girl.

"You make a noise and they die." Murmured the woman, looking at her straight in the eye. She was not bluffing, Sydney knew. She resigned herself and quietly watched as the family-minus-a-father took off in a silver SUV parked a few cars from her own.

The woman grabbed her legs while Nikolai held her under the arms. They carried her to their van, the woman took the wheel while the man threw her in back, pinning her down on her stomach. She wouldn't keep still so he hit her in the ribs, causing her to cry out in pain.

Irina flinched as she heard her daughter's cries. She tightened her hold on the steering wheel, causing her knuckles to turn white.

Meanwhile, her colleague managed to tie his captive's hands behind her back, tightening the rope around her wrists. She was still gasping for air when he pulled a black cloth over her eyes.

"You stay down, you don't move." He ordered. "She's secured." He announced, pulling his mask off, while Irina did the same. They were now in the street going along the mall, the CIA agent's car was parked at the same spot, they hadn't notice anything and wouldn't for hours.

"How are your eyes?"

“Fine! That little b*tch…” He kicked the prostrate figure in the legs and she pulled herself into a foetal position.

"There's a bottle of water beside you, pour some into your eyes."

Irina glanced in the rear-view mirror, and wished she hadn't. Her heart sank at the sight of her sobbing daughter, huddled on the floor. 'This is my fault'. She had suggested the whole kidnapping idea, she had designed the plan almost all by herself, and she had known all along what it would entail. And all that trouble for what? To save a husband that she hadn't seen in years, who believed her to be dead? To save Sydney's father who didn't seem to be much of a father but was acting like a complete jerk? But wasn't she somewhat being selfish? Did Sydney want her father to be saved?

After a one-hour drive, they came near a warehouse, Irina went out to open the door and close it back when they were in. Except for Probulov, they were the only ones involved in this mission, they had no other help whatsoever, except for the 'valet-parking'. Chevchenko had made it clear that secrecy was essential, so the least people knew the better. Certainly, the CIA would go to all of their contacts, and no one would be able to tell them anything if no information was leaked. Derevko, Probulov and Valenkov were Chevchenko's best agents, and the four of them knew they could trust each other, besides Irina's blood relation to their hostage, that is. But she had been the one to come up with the plan so her boss had no reason to doubt her loyalty.

She got out of the van and opened the door, allowing Nikolai and Sydney to get out.

Facing her daughter after ten years of emptiness, being at a reaching distance of her was wonderful. But seeing her hunched posture, her quivering form, hearing her erratic breathing… Irina felt pain.

"Are you coming?" Nikolai was waiting for them near the SUV.

She snapped out of her thoughts and marched Sydney towards his position. She sat her on the edge of the trunk and pulled her sleeve up, accepting the syringe Nikolai was ending her, along with a vial of clear liquid.

"What are you doing?" Asked Sydney, scared even though she couldn't see someone was able to stick a needle into her.

"Relax, I'm just going to inject you a mild sedative…"

"No! Please no! I hate needles! I'll behave I swear…"

"Why do you even bother Irina, just do it and let's get going." Growled the man, his annoyance growing.

Glaring at the young man, she swiftly took hold of her daughter's arm and injected her with the syringe's content.

"Please, don't…" She gasped as she felt the prick of the needle on her arm. Tears rolled from behind the blindfold down to her cheeks. She felt herself go limp, strong arms catching her before she could hit her head.

"We have a long way ahead of us, it's better if you are asleep." Said Irina quietly, sounding like she was apologizing, but not sure if Sydney could still hear her. She felt sorry for the girl, she remembered how upset she would get when she was little and she had to be vaccinated. She would sulk all day and get angry at her mother for making her go to the doctor, not knowing that the pain from the shot hurt her mother as much as it did her.

Her Russian accent was showing strongly, has been since she had gotten out of Kashmir, ten years ago. Now, there was no way that even her own daughter would ever recognise her, but it wasn't because of the accent alone. No, in those twelve years of absence, two of which she had spent in "re-education", she had changed, both physically and emotionally. She would never be the same again, she had known the moment her car had plunged into the cold water that fateful night.

Irina gently laid Sydney's now unconscious form in the back of the trunk, and climbed in after her.

The agents wanted to travel as discreetly as possible, so they changed vehicles and configurations after each major step. A couple had entered the parking garage in a white van, a woman had went out and would drive to the warehouse, a man would drive to Nevada in a silver SUV, a couple would drive to Las Vegas's Airport in yet another car. There was no way to connect them together, to follow them to their final destination.

"Here is your earpiece." Nikolai and Irina would be able to communicate in case of necessity.

"Don’t forget. Don’t drive too fast. We don’t need to be pulled over by the police."

"Make sure the girl stays out and let me take care of my business." Replied Nikolai harshly. The woman didn't mention that she had to help him subdue Sydney and that he had just commented on her methods a minute ago.

He put in a row of suitcases after her and covered everything with a blanket, completely hiding the two women from sight.

Several hours after the silver SUV had left the premises, a young man in his twenties entered the deserted warehouse and left with the van. He drove for a good hour to "Joe's breaker's yard" after having cleaned it up. He parked it in a row of other white vans, nobody would notice it. The CIA wouldn't find it for days if not weeks.

Halfway to Nevada, as she was still lying into complete darkness, only inches away from her unconscious daughter, Irina wondered: Putting her daughter through this hell…

Was it worth it?

Chapter 4: Russia

Irina and Nikolai were flying the plane over the Atlantic Ocean. In Las Vegas, they had switched places, she had driven to the McCarran Airport, following their plan without any problem.

They were in the air for several hours now and the tranquilliser Irina had given Sydney before their departure was starting to wear off. The older agent came inside the cabin to check on her daughter and sat down in front of her. She quietly observed as Sydney slowly emerged from unconsciousness. They had laid her down on a row of seats, keeping her tied and blindfolded so they wouldn't have to put their masks on.

A few minutes later, Irina made her presence known by helping Sydney to sit up.

"Wha…" She coughed and groaned, probably from a drug induced headache.

"Here, have some water, your throat won't remain sore long." Irina helped her to drink from a bottle.

"Thanks." Croaked Sydney once she was done. She felt so disoriented and scared. She had no idea where she was, why she was there or who she was with. "Where are we?" She dared ask, after a long silence.

"On a plane on our way to France."

"A plane? France?" She pondered the information for a moment, it was her first flight ever. Finally, she asked what she was dying to know. "What do you want with me?"

"It's complicated."

"I have a right to know! You people jump on me, you knock me out, you take me away from my country…" Her voice was rising, she didn't like not to know what happened to her, she hated not to feel in control. Her father was selling airplane parts, they lived modestly, and no one in her immediate family was wealthy enough to be asked for a ransom… What in hell did those people want with her?

"Calm down. Just know that if you behave and do exactly as we say, you'll get out of this alive and unharmed" calmly interrupted Irina.

"Unharmed… Oh my God, Francie!" In the van, she had been in full panic mode, and the pain wasn't helping her in thinking clearly. She had completely forgotten that the woman facing her had taken away her friend. God knew what she had done to her! "Where is Francie?! Where is my friend?! What did you do to her?!" She was now frantic, they had killed her, oh God, it was all her fault!

"She'll be just fine, don't worry."

"I don't understand… I saw you take her… Where is she?"

"I hit her over the head, she will be unconscious for several more hours. The people that were supposed to watch over you will soon notice that you are missing and check your car, I left her in it. They will find her and return her to her home."

"The people that… What people?!" She was completely confused, that woman was crazy, she wasn't making any sense.

"I told you, it's complicated, but you will have your answer soon enough."

She got up and fastened her daughter's seatbelt. She couldn't believe she just had a two-way conversation with her little girl, it felt so good despite the settings. "We're about to land, I have to go back in the cockpit. Stay there, don't make a noise, I'll come back to get you in a few minutes."

All the roller blinds were safely closed, making it impossible for outside observers to see the occupants of the aircraft. They safely landed in the Aéroport International Marseille-Provence in Marignane. They had chosen this airport over Roissy-Charles de Gaulles and Orly because it was more discreet, what with not being located in the capital, Paris.

Just like they had done at the Las Vegas airport, they entered a hangar and only when its doors were closed they stepped out, thus preserving their 'privacy'.

Irina carried Sydney from one Lear jet to the other and proceeded to buckle her belt before making her way to the cockpit where she assisted Nikolai in the take off. A maintenance agent would probably come by later and close the hangar door, as he was paid to do.

Once they were well on their way, the woman came back to the cabin, only to see that her daughter was awake and struggling against her handcuffs.

"Too tight?"

The young girl would probably have jumped up in surprise if it weren't for her seatbelt.

"I…" She hadn't heard the other woman come back, now she was in trouble. Her ribs couldn't take more abuse, they must be broken or something because it hurt like hell to even breathe.

"Do not worry. I am not mad." She murmured in her ear, sticking yet another needle in her daughter's arm.

"God no…" She had time to wonder how the woman had approached her so closely without her noticing anything before falling in a dreamless sleep. Funny what drugs can do to you, she could have sworn she felt a soothing touch on her cheek.

Irina didn't take her eyes off of Sydney during the rest of the fly, until Nikolai called her back in the cockpit before they landed in Pulkovo International Airport, situated ten miles south of Saint Petersburg.

They were safe now that they were in Russia. Nobody would question them here, least of all the local authorities, as they were fellow 'government employees'. Of course their business was not very official and certainly not legal, but they still had the credentials to tell the Police to back off, if necessary.

They would both travel inside the car this time, leaving their prisoner alone in the trunk. There was no way the CIA could have followed their trail, but they didn't want to take any chance and switched cars right before leaving Saint Petersburg. The city was close enough to the International airport and quiet enough so that people asking questions would be noticed immediately.

The house they had been lent was fairly isolated without being lost in the middle of nowhere. It was situated along a road going up on a hill, between a forest and a clearing, dominating the town centre. The place was quite beautiful and very spacious, the kitchen had been stocked with food and the owner of the house had brought other supplies for their comfort.

The car they were driving actually belonged to the agent who was lending his house. He hadn't tell anybody that he was leaving town and the locals might find it strange that another car was parked in his driveway. Even half buried in the forest, they had to remain extra careful, the CIA had eyes everywhere, whether it was by technological means or informants, they would look everywhere.

COLLATERAL DAMAGE
Eyghon

Chapter 5: Conscious

When you wake up, sometimes you are disoriented, you wonder what day it is, where you are, at what time you have to get up, what things you had planned to do… For a few seconds, you are in utter oblivion.

That is how Sydney felt the next time she woke up, except that it lasted several minutes for her, thanks to the drugs she had been given earlier, but she didn't know that… yet. She couldn't figure out where she was, what day it was, and the most disturbing, what had happened before she went to sleep.

Her awareness grew by the minute though, she could feel her body now. Her hands were tied above her head and she was laying on a comfortable king sized bed. That set her off, her reflexes kicked in. She turned her head from side to side, trying to clear her mind from the fog that had settled in. Everything came back to her at that moment: The mall, Francie being hit over the head, the car ride… She was vaguely aware that she had awakened on a plane at some point. Her maiden flight, too bad she couldn't remember a thing about it.

The people who took her had a Russian accent, she was sure of it, it was unmistakable. She had heard on a documentary that some people kidnapped young girls and brought them to foreign country to make porn movies… and Russia was on the top of the list. She tried to rationalize, such things existed in America too, and she was 18 now, was that considerate "young" by those people? No, that couldn't be the reason… Still, she was lying on a bed, maybe there were cameras not two meters away from her and she wouldn't know… God she had to open her eyes, now! Why couldn't she?!

Taking a deep breath, she tried to feel her environment, like they teach you in those yoga classes. She managed to get past the awful headache that was pummelling her skull and felt someone else in the room.

She was not a fearful girl, she didn't close her eyes while watching horror movies, and she didn't feel the need to turn on the lights wherever she was going in her house. Call her naïve but she didn't turn around when hearing steps behind her at night, she slept with the window opened if it was hot outside… But here, today, lying on that bed, at an unknown location, with total strangers, having no idea of what they wanted from her… She was helpless, literally at their mercy, and it scared her. She could feel her palms getting wet, her breathing shallow… So that was fear? Pure fear? That was what it felt like to be scared to death?

"I know you are awake."

She gasped and feebly jerked against her restraints, startled. "Argh." Her headache was back full force, not that it had left at all actually, it's just that now she could actually hear some kind of pounding "bam bam bam…" She swallowed hard.

She felt the figure move around the room to come back and sit back near the bed.

"Can you hear me?" inquired the mysterious voice, which Sydney couldn't even identify as a man's or a woman's. She groaned. After several attempts, she managed to get her eyelids to move up, finally! Her sight was blurry and the room was so dark, there were no lights on actually. She could vaguely make out three faces facing her, but it was weird. It must have been the woman or the guy from before, and his/her two clones… Man, it was worse than a hangover, she was completely f***ed up!

"Wha… Where…" She felt the darkness claim her one more time and left herself drift off to another world.

"She still out?" Asked Nikolai, not concerned but rather annoyed.

"Yeah."

"It's been 24 hours, we should phone Probulov and give him the go ahead."

"No. I would prefer it if we waited for the drugs to completely wear off before taking any step forward with Agent Bristow."

Nikolai nodded distractedly and left the room.

Certain that Sydney was out for good and that Nikolai wouldn't come back, she laid down right beside her daughter. It's the closest she had ever been to her, save for carrying her earlier. She tentatively reached out and brushed a strand of hair behind her hear. She touched her face, so smooth, just like when she was a little girl. She wanted to observe her fully, see what she had created out of love so long ago. Her baby girl, so grown up!

Anyone from Irina's youth could tell both women were related. She looked like Irina at her age, and like her sister, Katya. There was no denying she was a Derevko. She had the brown eyes, brown hair, and high cheekbones… And from what she saw in Los Angeles, she had the family character: stubborn, strong, independent.

Ten minutes later, Sydney started to stir, so Irina carefully removed herself and quietly regained her place on the chair by the bed, as if she hadn't moved. She could tell the young girl was still having a hard time moving or focussing.

"Are you in pain?"

"Neck… hurts…" It seemed that the drug's magic was wearing off, she was feeling even more awful than before. Instead of being numb, every part of her body ached. It felt like she had been crushed by a truck or something, and her neck was on fire… She felt hot tears stream down her cheeks, she was free to think and feel again, but what an agonizing pain!

She still didn't get a good look at her captor but she was pretty sure that she recognized her voice, and her accent. It was the woman from before. She jerked away when something made contact with the stinging in her neck, making it worse.

"Easy, it's ice, just hold on a minute it will numb the area and I'll clean it up." Irina felt so bad for using that taser on her little girl. She knew from personal experience that it was rather painful, but so efficient. She had had to do something, otherwise they would have been seen, and who knows what Nikolai would have done to cover their tracks. It was better this way, she had done the right thing. Who was she kidding? The right thing? There was no right and no wrong in this world. It was not black and white. It was a matter of survival. No matter what she would have to do, Jack and Sydney would survive this. But at what price? How far would she have to go to insure her family's survival? It would be a high price, she knew, she had known the second the idea popped into her head… But what other choice did she have? What if? What if? What if? She had to stop tormenting herself with those questions, what is done is done, period.

Sydney was clenching her teeth, seething, she had had enough. She couldn't do anything, couldn't go anywhere, and couldn't even avoid that damn ice cube. She was trapped, and she had no clue why.

Her neck felt numb, her kidnapper was right. It must look so ugly, it felt like a burn and a scratch at the same time. She was dying to touch it but couldn't reach out with her handcuffed hands. Yup, those were handcuffs, no rope, she wouldn't be able to bite the knots like they do in those movies.

She cringed when she felt the sting of disinfectant on the ugly bruise, but it was not as bad as she thought it would have been, thanks to the ice. It still felt like a scratch and a burn, one above the other.

"There you go, all patched up," said the woman, putting on a white band-aid.

"Where are we?" She let her gaze wander around her, She was in what seemed to be a nice bedroom, spacious and comfy.

"Russia."

"My eyes… I can't… it's blurry…"

"Don't worry, it's only temporary, an after effect of the drugs I gave you. You should rest now." She got up and went for the door.

"No… Wait… I have questions…" mumbled Sydney, who was already dosing off.

"It can wait." With that, she was gone, and Sydney went limp from exhaustion before the door was even closed. Hopefully, next time she would wake up, she would feel better and finally get a good look at her captor.

On the other side of the door, Irina knew the confrontation was soon to come and inevitable, but she wasn't sure that she was ready for it.

Would she ever be?

Chapter 6: Phone call

Los Angeles, 22h00 (6h00 GMT)
Agent Jack Bristow was well known and respected by all in the Los Angeles offices of the CIA. He was a very successful agent, thus causing him to be targeted by other organisations wanting to see him dead. He had landed many blows on many terrorists or governmental agencies over the years. That's the reason why a surveillance team was assigned to his daughter.

Agent Williamson was the head of said team, and was running surveillance himself on dayshift. Agent Clark, a rookie whom he was charged to train, accompanied him. Both were responsible for the young woman's security, if something was to happen to her, heads would roll. And with Jack Bristow as a father, it might just happen, literally.

One of them had to inform him. He was on assignment overseas now, but it was official business so he was reachable by phone. Both agents had finished their reports for their superiors and it was concluded that they were in fault for not following their target inside of the mall. Now the harder part was to come.

Bristow answered at the first ring, Williamson cleared his throat and introduced himself as the agent responsible of his daughter security detail.

"What is it Agent Williamson?" Questioned the man, seemingly not the least worried.

"Sir, there is a problem with your daughter." He paused, swallowing the lump in his throat. "Sir, she's missing." The cat was out of the bag. He was expecting a torrent of injures or at least yelling, but there was just plain silence. "Sir?"

"What do you mean 'she's missing', could you be more specific Agent Williamson?" Still speaking in a professional tone.

"Well, she went to the mall with her friend and we waited for her outside the parking garage…"

"You didn't follow inside?" Interrupted Jack.

"No Sir, we estimated that there was no need to…"

"We will discuss your incompetence later, what happened after that?"

"She didn't come out. I mean, last week, she stayed there a couple of hours and we resumed the tailing as soon as we saw her car come out… but this week, it didn't."

"Did you find it, the car?"

"Yes, it was still parked inside, your daughter's friend was there. She was unconscious. Someone put her in the car's trunk. There was no sign of your daughter, Sir. I am sorry."

"What did the girl tell you?"

"We didn't get a chance to interrogate her yet, she's in the hospital, and she had a mild concussion…"

"Is she conscious?"

"Yes but…"

"Then go to the hospital, I want to know exactly what happened. Understood?"

"Yes Sir."

"Anything from the security cameras in the mall?"

"We recovered the bands but the feed had been cut as soon as her car entered the parking. The cameras inside and outside the garage were affected but not those of the mall itself. She never made it inside."

"At what time did she enter the parking?"

"Around 14h00, we checked the garage at 20h00."

"So whoever took her are 6 hours ahead of us. What else can you tell me?"

"Huh… nothing further I'm afraid, Sir."

"Go interrogate the witness as soon as you can. I want to see you and your colleague as soon as I come back." He hung up.

Los Angeles, 12h00 the day after the abduction (20h00 GMT)
Irina, Nikolai and their prisoner had arrived in Russia a couple of hours ago. It was time for Probulov to fulfil his duties consisting in letting Jack Bristow know that his daughter was alive and would remain so under a few conditions.

Of course, telling him that the SVR was responsible was suicide. First, it would be harder for him to track the kidnappers down if he didn't know who they worked for. Second, he would be less reluctant to hand over precious information on the SVR and the CIA to an agency that had no ties to the Russians than to the SVR itself.

Agent Jack Bristow was apparently a busy man, as it took Probulov some time to reach him at his agency. Despite its numerous connections, the SVR couldn't get a hold of any of his numbers, and there wasn't anything on his daughter's cell phone either.

Mikhail had to bring himself to phone the Los Angeles CIA offices, like anyone would do, and asked to speak to Agent Jack Bristow. He was told there was no one of this name but he expected it. He told the secretary that he had important information about the agent's current investigation. That did the trick, he was put on hold for a few minutes and transferred to another line, probably Bristow's cell phone. Finally, a male voice boomed into the receiver.

"Bristow."

"You are quite the legend Agent Bristow, I am flattered you took my call," started Probulov in a perfect American accent.

"I value my time very much. I was told you have information for me." Replied the man in a clipped tone.

"It is about a personal matter, I wouldn't want to involve your agency more than it already is."

"I am on a secured line, we are alone. Go ahead."

"I suppose your daughter's surveillance team informed you that they misplaced their target."

No reaction on the other side of the line.

"From now on, you will obey any orders I might give you, even if it goes against your government, your agency or your principles."

"I am not interested in working for you." With that, he hung up.

Probulov was not pleased. The Americans were so predictable and arrogant! Bristow thought Probulov would call back, begging for attention, but he wouldn't. Mikhail was as good as Bristow at these mind games. Probulov would give him a lesson, he had to strike and strike hard.

Meanwhile, Jack's plane was approaching LAX. He would be at the CIA headquarters before 13h00.

When Williamson and Clark had visited Francie Calfo at Mercy Hospital earlier this day, she could only tell them that someone coming from behind had hit her over the head. She knew nothing about their height, their number, their sex, and let alone give a description to a sketch artist. Sydney was walking beside her towards the elevator and then… nothing. She didn't even hear steps behind her nor did she notice anything unusual.

The agents left, disappointed, and apprehensive about the meeting with Agent Bristow that was to take place at their return.

Los Angeles, 13h00 (21h00 GMT)
One hour after his conversation with Agent Bristow, Probulov's plan was all set. Still in the safety of his rented apartment in LA, he reached for his second cell phone and dialed Valenkov's number.

"Yes?"

"Bristow is not cooperating, he needs a little incentive."

"I see. What do you suggest?"

Probulov could tell the young man was smiling, he didn't like the Bristow girl, that's for sure! When he had called earlier, to tell him that it was okay to go to Bristow Senior, he had made it clear that he was not happy to baby-sit.

"We can't afford to let to much time pass, I want to impress that arrogant man, so he won't think twice before carrying out my orders."

"I have an idea. I'll get started right away, Sir."

"Good, surprise me Agent Valenkov, and do not involve your partner just yet."

Peterhof, two days after the abduction, 9h00 (6h00 GMT)
Nikolai had spent the night arranging the basement so it wouldn't be recognizable as such. He had cleared the wall facing the garage door, now it just looked like any warehouse wall, grey and dirty. He had moved the gas cylinders used in the kitchen and the bottles of mineral water away.

He had climbed on a ladder and made a hole on the ceiling. Some dust fell on his Armani shirt but it was worth it. He was going to make that American b*tch pay for humiliating him in front of his older superior, Irina Derevko, who had no trouble overpowering her. He could still feel the sting from the teargas in his right eye. He screwed a hook in the hole and, ensured that it would hold, he came back down. He set up his laptop on the stool and hooked it up to the camcorder he had found in the living room's cupboard.

When everything was ready, he found Irina and told her that she was to report to Chevchenko in person, in Moscow. She was a little surprised at first, and reluctant, but Nikolai was convincing enough. Plus, he had Fyodor's support, who had been the one to suggest that Irina was not present when the "demonstration" was to take place.

"Why does he want to see me? I thought we agreed on not moving around unless absolutely necessary."

"There is no risk, the CIA has no clues as to what happened, least of all our involvement. I believe Chevchenko wants to discuss several issues with you, not necessarily related to this mission."

"Alright, I'll leave right away." Agreed Irina. It was not unusual for a Russian agent to be pulled out of the field to attend a meeting. There could be new orders about the mission or new development about the disk that were too sensitive to talk about on the phone or on the Internet. The bloody CIA had access to everything, but they never managed to bug the SVR main offices in Moscow. It was the safest place on Earth to talk.

Irina glanced at Sydney who was still out, she hoped she could trust Nikolai not to do anything foolish. She knew of his taste for young women and Sydney had really irritated him… but usually he was very professional so she shouldn't have any reason to worry. And yet, she couldn't help but ask:

"Will you be okay by yourself?"

"Yes Agent Derevko." Nikolai was grinning inside, but he was not forgetting that the woman, even if under Chevchenko's orders, was his superior. And he wouldn't want to arise her suspicions now, would he? He had noticed that his partner seemed to have a strange attachment to their hostage. Yes, they had been ordered not to leave the girl alone, they couldn't take any chance, so it was normal that Irina had spent the night by her side. It's the band aid gave her away. Usually, she couldn't care less about a prisoner's health, but with the girl, she was… human.

Irina took the 10h10 flight from Pulkovo Airport in Saint Petersburg and arrived in Moscow at the Sheremetyevo Airport at 11h20. The cities were 800 kilometres apart, only 1h10 away by plane. Hopefully she would be able to catch the 13h00 flight in Moscow and make it back to Peterhof by 15h00.

When she came back around 15h00, the house was eerily quiet, not the quiet "nobody talks", just… quiet. She checked Sydney's room but it was empty, and so was the whole house actually. She first thought that her partner had double-crossed her and that Chevchenko desire to see her had been a decoy to take her daughter away from her. Rationalising, she decided to check the basement. Nothing could have prepared her for the sight that was awaiting her when she walked in.

Moscow, earlier, 12h00 (9h00 GMT)
Her meeting with Chevchenko had been rather uneventful and there were actually no good reason for it to take place. The CIA was still not getting anywhere with the disk, they had no clue of the SVR's involvement in Agent Bristow's daughter… nothing that justified a meeting, thus reinforcing her feeling that she was missing something, something big. When her superior insisted on her staying near by for the day in case new intel came in, she knew for sure that something was amiss. She told him that she needed to exercise and that he could find her in the gym area. He let it go without a second thought. This man took his agents trust and loyalty for granted when he shouldn't. He was so sure that no one would ever dare to disobey him. The Americans and the Russians had a lot more in common than what they acknowledged.

She left the offices building with a bunch of other employees and went directly to the airport where she booked a return flight with one of the many aliases that her agency didn't know about.

Peterhof, 15h00 (12h00 GMT)
Sydney was hanging by the wrists to a steel hook embedded in the ceiling. Her clothes were torn and dirty, her face bloody. There was a puddle of mingled pee, vomit, blood and other liquids at her feet.

Nikolai was seated a few meters away, typing on his computer. He turned around when he heard her approach. She couldn't hide the shocked look on her face, the closer she was getting to Sydney, the more cuts and bruises she could see on her tear-stained face.

She brushed a strand of hair off of her daughter's face, trying to assess the damages. The girl whimpered in pain and opened her eyes; Irina looked away, half in shame, half to make sure that Nikolai wasn't paying attention to them.

"What happened?" Irina managed to utter, while stepping away from Sydney, as if disinterested by her. She took a sit beside Nikolai, who was apparently editing the video of what had happened during her absence.

"Probulov initiated contact when I called him but Bristow didn't take the bait."

"What do you mean?" Irina couldn't believe he would refuse the deal and knowingly endanger his daughter's life. His patriotism couldn't be stronger than his love for his daughter!

"He didn't give me details, he just said we needed to give the man a lesson, that it was the only way to get to him. The bastard knew what we would do if he refused to cooperate, and yet he still refused to listen."

"Did Mikhail try to call back?" Irina couldn't believe that Jack had passed on the opportunity to negotiate the release of his daughter. She never doubted, not one second, that his patriotism would be stronger than his love for his daughter. She screwed up. Since the beginning, she made assumptions. Her whole plan was based on suppositions and now those mistakes were come back to bite her in the ass.

She had just been proven wrong, but at what price? She glanced once more at the screen and felt sick. She had assumed that her team wouldn't do anything rash behind her back. She could have prevented that, she was a good agent and a good strategist. She should have planned harder longer… She should have considered the possibility of a backstabbing from the SVR. After all, it was legitimate, she was emotionally involved, she couldn't deny it, the agency knew it, and her boss and her partner knew it. Yes, her superior and her own partner tricked her. She saw it coming, but chose to ignore her suspicions.

"No. Bristow wanted to play hard to get, we couldn't, and still can't, afford to play cat and mouse, we're in a tight schedule here."

"I know of our situation Nikolai." Replied sharply Irina, irritated by the disrespect pouring from Valenkov's words.

"Yes, my apologies. Let's just hope that this video will be enough incentive for Bristow to move his fat ass." Concluded Nikolai, resuming his activity.

"Was it necessary to go to such lengths? She is of no use to us if she is dead." She was not happy with his actions but couldn't really say so. She was trying to cover herself but they both knew what were her true feelings.

"The man is an agent, so Probulov wanted to give him a real show, not just the classical call where the hostage screams in the phone for help. It wouldn't have been enough with him, and it's so old fashioned. No, I suggested to Probulov that we take the whole thing on camera so that Bristow can see it."

She had felt like it has been a lesson directed at her more than at Jack. Her impression was confirmed when Nikolai leaned over her and murmured:

"Stop thinking like a mother and start acting as an agent, Agent Derevko."

Irina knew she had to act cold, like she didn't care. She should just walk away like she would do with any other prisoner, because after all, that's what Sydney was, nothing more, nothing less. Not a clueless innocent girl, not her daughter… But seeing her like that, bloody, battered, barely conscious, Irina felt nauseous. Guilty. She was guilty, it was her fault that her baby girl was in this hellhole of a country in the first place. She had brought up the idea in the first place. What would have happened had she not talked to her superior that day in Moscow? Would Jack really be dead? Not for the first time, she doubted of the validity of her plan. She couldn't ignore her daughter's pain any longer, she had to do something. Her "cover" seemed blown anyway. Her partners and superior had seen right through her. What more did she have to lose? Still, she'd better be prudent.

She got up and approached Sydney, whose state seemed to have worsened. Carefully, she freed Sydney from her standing position and helped her to stand by holding her up against her. She felt like a dead weight, she was shivering, sweaty and very pale.

"I'd better take care of her, she's in some sort of shock." She clinically observed as if bored, when she actually not care anymore if Nikolai believed her intentions to be motherly or purely professional. Her baby was not going well, she needed her, now.

She must have been hanging there for hours. The loss of blood, the infected wounds, the fever… any of these symptoms could cause her to go into shock any minute. The SVR agents had given her only the strict minimum required by the human body to survive: water. The girl had had no solid food for around 48 hours.

Sydney didn't feel good. She felt numb and he couldn't focus on anything. The pain was the worst, it was unbearable, her body was on fire and yet she felt so cold.

She missed her Dad. She thought about the last time she had seen him, with the bat incident. He had forgotten her birthday but he was still her father. Not the same as in her childhood's memories but still her father. Maybe she would never see him again, could never apologize or let him explain why he had forgotten about her birthday.

When she had came home after staying two days at Francie's, he was gone. The house was clean, a couple of hundred bucks were sitting on the kitchen counter for her grocery shopping, as usual. There were no note on the fridge, no message on the answering machine. He was just gone, most likely on another trip on the other side of the planet.

She started to feel her arms again, she was being carried in someone's arms. The person was holding her tightly, whispering to her in a soothing voice but she couldn't make out the words. She felt warmer now, she was in hot water. It felt good, so good…

Her wounds hurt from the soapy water but it was not as bad as when the man had poured his beer on her, earlier this day… or was it yesterday? She was so exhausted, she wished Francie could be here, she always knew how to comfort her. But Francie was in Los Angeles, and she was somewhere in Russia. She hoped her friend was alright.

Irina was doing something that she hadn't done in twelve years: she was taking care of her daughter. She had undressed her and was now bathing her and cleaning her wounds as best as she could. There was no foam and no yellow plastic duck in the tub with her anymore, no laughter could be heard in the room. Sydney was not a child anymore, she was a woman. A woman who had just gone through hell because of her, her own mother that she still thought deceased; and also because of a father who was too stubborn to quit a job that had already caused him so much pain.

Sydney didn't flinch once, she still seemed dazed. Irina was getting seriously worried, she was starting to think that Nikolai might have done more than beat up her daughter. The thought of his filthy hands on her little girl made her sick but she had to force herself to examine every possibility… She had been away for a long time, and if he had ran upstairs to get her as soon as she was out of the door… He had spent a total of 6 hours alone with her. He was angry with her for gassing him in the parking. When Irina had seen him clutch his puffy eyes, she had felt so proud of her daughter… Now she felt pain for her, because she had left her alone with a monster, without much of a second thought.

Peterhof, earlier today, 10h00 (7h00 GMT)
Irina's plane was about to take off, it was safe to move on with his plan. Nikolai put his black ski mask on and started to slap Sydney until she opened her eyes.

"Come on you b****, we are going to make a little home movie for your daddy!" Mocked the man while cuffing her hands in front of her.

She was on her feet before she knew it, the agent took hold of her arms and dragged her down the stairs. They entered what appeared to be the garage and he hooked her cuffed hands to the ceiling. Her feet barely touched the ground, it was rather painful to be stretched in this fashion.

She took in her surroundings. A camcorder was facing her, it was on. She reconsidered her earlier theory about porn movies.

"What is it? What are we doing here?"

"I told you, we are going to make a little film for your daddy dearest."

He was standing inches away from her, she could see the amusement in his eyes. He struck her, hard. Her head reeled back and she gasped, scared and in pain. He hit her again, and again, and again. She felt his fists pound on her face, on her ribs, on her stomach… but never hard enough to knock her out. The bastard knew what he was doing.

"What do you want from me?!" She screamed, crying after the first few blows. He had stopped his assault to rub his bloody knuckles. At least he was hurting himself a little in the process, but that was no consolation.

"Do you know what your father does for a living?" He taunted, smiling sickingly.

"He sells freaking airplane parts, what, you think it makes him rich?!"

"We are not after his money, but we want information from him."

"Information?! That's what it's all about? Industrial espionage?! Can't you do it like everybody else does, like spying or stealing things?!"

"It is not about industrial espionage, little girl."

The woman in the plane had mentioned something about people watching over her, she said they would find Francie. She was so relieved to know that her friend would be find that she didn't insist more about those people. She needed to know, she needed to know why there were people "watching over" her. It must have something to do with her father because the man hitting her had asked her if she knew what he did for a living. Maybe he was some kind of mafia guy, he had upset the wrong guys, and now they were taking their revenge on her. Jack Bristow, a Mafioso? That sounded so ridiculous!

She couldn't ponder the question much longer or ask the man about it because he resumed his beating. She remembered that he had talked a lot while beating her, but she had been too busy screaming and puking to understand what he was saying. She couldn't evade him, hanging like a punching ball. He took out his rage on her, she could see a glimmer of joy in his eyes each time she screamed. By the end her throat was so raw that she could only moan in agony. The bastard was enjoying it. She vaguely wondered where the woman was, if she was watching somewhere from the darkness. Sometime during the beating, her torturer had gotten tired of bruising his hands on her skin and had switched to his belt.

Los Angeles, 6h00 (14h00 GMT)
Eighteen hours after the phone call conversation he had with the mysterious man, Jack received a fax in his office, displaying a simple IP address with the name "Sydney" above it. Feeling a cold sweat running through him, he opened his browser and typed in the address. A window popped open, asking for a password. He typed 'Sydney'. A video started playing…

Jack was trying to analyse what he had seen on the video. He had watched it without blinking an eye. He had a long experience in the torture domain, he had both been tormenter and victim, countless times. The fact that it was his 18 years old daughter displayed on the screen didn't affect him much. There was nothing he could do, nothing he could have done... But he knew that whoever had called him was responsible for that.

Now he just had to wait for the man to call him back, and set the terms of their arrangement. Surely, he wouldn't go to such lengths if he didn't want something in return for Sydney, something that apparently, he couldn't obtain any other way.

His cell phone rang several hours later. It was the same man as before.

"Did you enjoy the movie, Agent Bristow?"

"What do you want?" answered curtly Jack.

"Don't you have an idea?"

"No." That was the truth.

"Almost two weeks ago in Taipei, you acquired a disk from the SVR. I want it."

"I don't know what your are talking about."

"Do you want to see another production starring your precious child Agent Bristow?" threatened the man in a sweet voice. He was probably around Jack's age.

"Why would this disk be of any use to you?"

"That is none of your concern Agent Bristow. All you need to know is that I want it and everything your agency have on it, and I mean everything. Paperwork, copies, everything related to this disk must be in my possession within the next 48 hours."

"That is not going to happen."

"And why is that Agent Bristow?"

"I can not hand over such crucial information, it's treason."

"And what do you call letting your daughter to die? Negligence? I call that murder."

"Even if I wanted to help you, this disk contains very sensitive information, it's protected, there is no way I can get to it…"

"You managed to steal it from another Agency in Taipei, it should be easy to steal it now from your own agency. You have 48 hours. If you need motivation, I can keep the 'home movies' coming." Probulov hang up, satisfied.

Jack was seething, the CIA had nothing to trace the abductors, no prints, no footage, not a clue to act on. They had left no trail to follow, they probably weren't in the US anymore, they were out of reach. He was powerless and at their mercy. Or so they thought. He could not tell the CIA what the man had asked him to do, the disk would be completely unreachable. At least for now he knew were it was. He hadn't decided yet what to do. If the disk were to fall in enemy hands, whoever had it could cause a severe blow to the CIA. It was unthinkable to just hand it over, to anyone.

COLLATERAL DAMAGE
Eyghon

Author's notes: I’m not an expert on ‘Alice in Wonderland’, I only saw the Disney movie, once, and I barely remember it, but here is a good website about the movie (see extract below): Alice in Wonderland.net
I changed a few minor details from the show, it’s barely noticeable but I didn’t want to complicate things with the explanation for Sydney. Thanks for the reviews, you guys are amazing ! I have a beta reader now, Lenafan, she’s incredible. She’s doing such a great job, you have no idea ! Thanks L !

Chapter 7: Who are you?

Jack was not an emotionless man. He was a CIA agent. During his thirty years of service, he had learned the art of compartmentalizing. He had mastered it by obligation, so he could constantly…not work, but be…at the top of his game.

Over the years, he had shed many tears, tears of joy, pain, sadness. He had cried for lost friends, for his deceased wife. Being a widower had been hard at first, he missed his wife, but soon after the funeral, they arrested him for treason. His spouse was not who he thought she was. She was a fraud, an enemy agent. She had played him for years and he had never doubted her, not once. He cried for hours after being told that his whole marriage was nothing but a sham. He did not cry from embarrassment, but from pain… an unbearable pain that sometimes came to haunt him at night. After that, he knew he would not cry ever again. He wouldn’t be able to. He was empty.

Emotions were always getting in the way in that line of work. It was suicide to feel on the job. When he was doing anything work related, whether it was in the field, in his office at HQ or in his study at home, he would shut himself down. Nothing could get to him this way. He could think clearly, strategize. He was invincible when he didn't let himself feel.
Over the years, the line between work and personal life became blurry, then nonexistent. He had put himself so deeply into his work that he had forgotten what real life was like.

After getting out of solitary, he came back home. 'Home', was a notion that had brought warmth into him at night, when he was far away from home on assignment. The moment he set foot in his house, he knew that 'home' would never be the same again. It wasn't ‘home’ anymore. It lacked the warmth, the love…Laura. It was not an empty word for him; it would have been too easy. On the contrary, it was a reminder of his foolishness. His ‘home’ had been a farce for more than a decade and he would never get to think of it in any other way.

Sydney was the living proof of that. Since her birth, both parents had known that she was taking after her mother. Now that she was a woman, though Jack had a hard time admitting it, she looked exactly like her. She could easily be recognized as Irina's child by anyone who had seen a picture of her mother.

While watching the video file on his computer, he had concentrated on the man and on the background. He had needed to find out where his daughter was and as much as possible about the man performing the beating. It had also helped him not to focus too hard on Sydney and what was being done to her.

The forty-eight hours delay was about to expire. Jack had managed to get his hands on the disk the day before. He had entrusted it to an old friend, a genius in computing. The CIA had the disk for almost two weeks and made very little progress. There was no reason the SVR could do better. Jack asked his friend to encrypt a special program in the CD. It would destroy it at a given time, determined by Jack, in a week or so.

He couldn't come empty-handed to the meeting that he knew would soon take place. He couldn't give the man the means to destroy the CIA either. It had seemed like the best solution, he just hoped that Sydney would be with him when the SVR discovered it had been tricked.

Irina was angry, angry at herself. This was not supposed to happen, Sydney was not supposed to get hurt. She started this mess knowing it wouldn't be a joy ride for her daughter, but she didn't think she would get hurt. Worse, it was not just a blow to the head, it was torture, pure and simple. She had been exposed to Nikolai’s animalistic rage. Not one part of her body had been spared. She would most likely bear scars for years.

If only Jack hadn't been so stubborn, so arrogant! It was so typical of him! He would do anything for his country, God knows, he had done terrible things and still did…but he would never betray his agency for his own daughter. An agency, which put him in jail for months, while knowing he was innocent and that his daughter needed him.

The man was such a fool, how could he behave so stupidly as to sacrifice his child for a disk?

The woman knew many agents like Jack; they were good at their job. They were literally devoted to it and it kept them from feeling any emotion. Her father was like that. He wasn't home often, always on assignment. When he finally returned, after weeks of absence, he would be different, colder. Progressively, over the years, he ceased to laugh at his daughter's silliness, at his wife's jokes. He wouldn't play with his kids anymore, wouldn't help them in their homework. He became distant and bitter, just like Jack was.

During their marriage, she remembered Jack as a wonderful husband, father, and friend. She now realised it was partially her doing. She had kept him ‘human’ and when she left, he had lost that humanity, like many of his fellow agents had before him. When coming to America, she didn't think such a man could exist; she was told that every American man was a retarded, selfish pig.

Sydney still seemed somewhat 'disconnected' when Irina laid her in her bed, less than one hour later. She had cleaned her, dressed her wounds, and put her in a pair of sweat pants and a tank top.

When they arrived in the house in Peterhof, Nikolai took a bedroom downstairs while Irina chose to stay as close as possible to Sydney. She took the room next to her. It was a child's room, Irina could tell from the abundance of stuffed animals. It reminded her of Sydney's room when she was little. The girl must have had more than one hundred stuffed bears and rabbits, among other species.

Irina found a few books in the shelves, including an edition of "Alice in Wonderland.” She had thought she would never ever see that book again. It was not that it was unavailable in Russia; she could have found it easily. It was just too painful to think of anything related to her precious baby girl back then. When she came back to Russia, every little thing would take her down memory lane…childish laughter, kids playing in the snow. Sydney loved snow; she could play for hours and wouldn't even stop when frozen. She wondered if Sydney had learned skiing after her mother's 'death'. It's the kind of thing you do with your parents. They teach you how to have a swing, how to swim, ski, ride a bicycle without the tiny wheels.

When you are a teenager, they teach you how to stay safe. Irina hadn’t been around for the last twelve years of her daughter's life. She had missed so many things! Could she make up for that now? It seemed unlikely. However, she was getting ahead of herself here. She tried to concentrate on the book she had been holding in a death grip for the last few minutes.

She used to read the story to Sydney when she was little. The young girl would never get tired of it, nor would she let her mother skip a few pages without moaning about it. Jack bought her the Disney movie, but she didn’t like it as much as she did the book.

Irina started reading mostly to take her eyes off her daughter's blank face. She was also hoping that it would catch Sydney's attention, somehow. She was now starting Chapter 3, entitled "A Caucus-Race and a Long Tale.”

‘Speak English!' said the Eaglet. `I don't know the meaning of half those long words, and, what's more, I don't believe you do either!' And the Eaglet bent down its head to hide a smile: some of the other birds tittered audibly.

`What I was going to say,' said the Dodo in an offended tone, `was that the best thing to get us dry would be a Caucus-race.'

`What IS a Caucus-race?' said Alice; not that she wanted much to know, but the Dodo had paused as if it thought that SOMEBODY ought to speak, and no one else seemed inclined to say anything.

Sydney had been growing more and more aware of her surroundings for the last hour. She felt better now, warm, comfy. She could hear a voice. Someone was talking non-stop. It made her feel somewhat… safe. She let the feminine voice sooth her, an odd sense of déjà vu nagging at the back of her mind.

Irina had been lifting her eyes from her book every now and then, watching for any change in her daughter's behaviour. She interrupted her reading in the middle of a paragraph, Dodo was about to reveal who won the course. She turned her head towards the door, thinking that Nikolai was the source of her discomfort, but no one was there. She still felt like she was being watched and her eyes wandered towards her daughter.

She found herself facing a wide-awake Sydney, a familiar pair of brown eyes staring right back at her. The younger girl was frozen, mouth open in shock. Irina gasped. Realization hitting her at what she saw on her daughter's face.

Recognition.

Lost in her memories of happier times, Irina didn’t notice that she had lost her Russian accent to the American one while reading aloud. The sweet, warm voice of Laura somehow got to Sydney’s unconscious, thus jolting her out of her catatonic-like state.

Irina had waited twelve years for this moment to happen…the moment, where she would be face to face with her daughter. At the time, she didn’t know when it would happen, how old Sydney would be, where they would meet. Over the years, she had wondered, would Sydney recognize her, would she hug her, cry maybe? She had no answers, and still didn’t. The circumstances were tricky; it was a variable even she couldn’t predict.

Today, here, at that moment, there was no more hiding behind a mask, in the shadows. She was physically and emotionally exposed, naked. She was Laura again, the tender mother who wore her emotions on her sleeve and would do anything for her baby girl. She had never ceased to be emotional, but had hid it. There was no backing out now, it was too late, she had been ‘made’.

For the first time in years, facing that young woman, she felt vulnerable and uncertain. Before this whole idea formed in her head, she had never thought, not once, that Sydney could be unhappy to see her, that she was making the wrong decision by finally revealing herself.

Growing uncomfortable, she wondered if she should speak up now or let Sydney take the first step. The young woman seemed to be struggling to speak, but no words would come out of her mouth. Unable to take the deafening silence anymore, she tentatively reached out, stroking the girl’s face. Sydney backed off as if burnt.

Irina felt stinging tears in her eyes, but held them off. She had to be strong for now, for her daughter.

“Sydney…” After she left America for Russia, she thought she would never get to say that name again. She was proven wrong in Kashmir when she called out that name for hours at night, in her nightmares, during the torture she endured…she loved her too much to let go completely, and the KGB had punished her daily for that. She had called out for Jack too, but now he wasn’t the same Jack she had married. Sydney wasn’t the same either, but it was because she had grown up. Jack didn’t have that excuse, he didn’t grow up, he had changed. He had mutated to become some kind of stone cold, emotionless man.

The horrified look on Sydney’s face when she called out her name was more than Irina could endure. Both sat there for what seemed like hours, crying, unable to talk or even look at each other. After seeing her daughter’s reaction, Irina had felt ashamed and unworthy.

Sydney didn’t understand what was happening, she felt like her whole world was crumbling, nothing was making sense and nothing seemed real. She let herself slide to the floor on the side of the bed and huddled in a corner, away from her.

“I’m sorry I left you with Nikolai… I didn’t know…” It was the best Irina could come up with for the moment. She dumbly hoped the other issue would resolve itself if they didn’t talk about it.

“Who are you?” asked Sydney in an emotionless, flat voice.

The older woman was taken aback by the sudden question and felt herself shut down. She briskly lifted her head, meeting Sydney’s inquiring gaze. Reassured, she saw only questions there, no accusations. Of course, Sydney had questions; they were legitimate.

Slowly, she got off the chair and walked to the other side of the room, where Sydney still sat. She gracefully got down on the floor, mirroring her daughter’s position against the bed. She was dying to take her in her arms, never to let her go, but rushing things would only worsen the situation.

“I think you know who I am. I’m your mother, Sydney,” she quietly replied.

“I… that’s not possible…” She was shaking her head in denial.

“I know what you think, but I can assure you it’s me.” After a silence, she added, “I am sorry I left you.” She was sincere, giving Sydney up as a child had been the hardest thing she had ever done.

They had been facing each other but Sydney had stubbornly kept her gaze riveted on the floor. She lifted her head defiantly and spoke up, “My mother died in a car accident twelve years ago. Her name was Laura Bristow and…”

“…an alias. My real name is Irina Derevko. I was born Russian and left for America when I was eighteen. I choose to call myself ‘Laura Matthews’ and pretended to be from Minnesota because the US government was very wary of Russian immigrants at the time. I went by ‘Laura Bristow’ after I married your father. When I left you and your father to go back in Russia, I also took back my given name

Sydney looked at her disbelievingly, shaking her head. “That’s bullsh*t.”

“Then why did you seem so shocked when you woke up earlier? When I was reading to you?” She was losing patience; her daughter was so stubborn!

“You’re not her!”

“Then why do I look so much like her?” She replied softly. She had to shake things up now while Sydney was still listening or else they wouldn’t get anywhere. “Do you remember when you were little, ‘Alice in Wonderland’ was your favourite story. You would beg me to read it to you every week. You knew the lines by heart and you were only five years old!”

“Shut up!” Yelled an angry, teary-eyed Sydney.

Irina was finally getting through to her, now if she just pushed the right buttons. “Your favourite character was the white rabbit, and when I asked why, you would say ‘he’s well dressed, he looks pretty’. When I asked you if you wanted a cat, you said that you wanted a white rabbit, like the one in the book.”

“Liar! How could you…”

“Know? Sydney, I know it is hard to believe, but trust me… ask me anything.”

Sydney sniffled, well aware there was nothing she could ask that would prove the woman to be lying. Everything she said was true. It was little things that even her father didn’t know. In addition, yes, she recognised her voice. How could you forget the voice of the mother that would lull you to sleep every night for six years?

Sydney had hundreds of questions now that she knew for sure the woman sitting in front of her was indeed her long lost mother… but she needed time, to think, to process. Keeping her gaze on the carpeted floor, she quietly spoke up:

“Leave.”

Irina looked at her, hesitant.

“Please.” Sydney's voice broke, her eyes watered.

Irina looked at her and sensed she needed to be alone. She smiled, saying, "Of course, dear." She left the room, shutting the door softly behind her.

TBC

COLLATERAL DAMAGE
Eyghon

Author's notes: Sorry for the delay, to make up for it, here is a nine pages chapter, enjoy! Thanks to Lenafan for the corrections and the ideas, you’ve been very helpful.

Chapter 8: Irina

Peterhof, a few hours later
Irina was sitting on the couch, lost in thoughts. She too needed time for herself. She had to figure out what to do next. Her daughter looked so distraught when she discovered who was hiding behind her captor’s mask.

Over the years, Irina thought of a thousands ways to reconnect with her daughter. None of them involved the SVR and Irina kidnapping Sydney. It was supposed to go ‘well’…they were supposed to feel warm and fuzzy, not cold and guilty. Sydney wouldn’t hate her, but hug her. It was meant to be a wonderful moment of mutual love.

Being here today with her was a heaven-sent opportunity to make up for lost time. She had foolishly hoped they could make up despite the circumstances. She now knew otherwise. Whom was she kidding? She hadn’t seen her daughter in twelve years, had abducted her and hoped Sydney would welcome her with open arms! Of course not, but still, a tiny spark of hope remained in her. She would have to see…there were always ways around things. She was an agent for God’s sake! There must be something she could do? If only Sydney would listen to her, the possibilities were endless. She trusted her abilities in that domain…she would get her back by talking to her. She would gain her trust back first, and then her love. She would just have to wait for Sydney to ask the questions first, or else her daughter wouldn’t believe a word Irina said.

She heard the garage door slam. The sudden noise brought her back to reality. Nikolai fumbled in the kitchen for a minute and went back downstairs. He apparently was trying to avoid any contact with his superior.

Several hours had passed since her heated 'conversation' with Sydney. She got up to check on her, but thought better of it. She needed a strategy, something to say when she would come face to face with her. After a few minutes, Irina came up with a perfect excuse. Sydney hadn't eaten anything in two days. She must be hungry.

When Irina knocked on Sydney's door, she got no answer. She poked her head in to find the room empty. An iron fist clamped itself around her heart. Feeling a light breeze coming from down the corridor, she closed the door and went to the bathroom. The window was wide open. Nikolai joined her.

"What is it?" He asked, curious.

"She's gone," whispered Irina after a moment’s hesitation.

"What!" He checked the bedroom, which was indeed, empty. "You left her in there all by herself? We were ordered not to let her out of our sight, Irina," yelled the young man. "I can't believe you didn't at least handcuff her!"

Irina turned sharply towards him. "Don't tell me what to do and not to do. Where were you when it happened? You are as much responsible of her as I am Nikolai!" After a pause, she pulled herself together. "We have to find her before someone sees her." She made her way downstairs, throwing her jacket on to hide her gun.

"She couldn't have gone far in her state," mumbled Nikolai, causing Irina to stop at the door. "What now?"

“I gave her painkillers earlier," confessed Irina.

"Damn it!" He ran out of the door, saying over his shoulder, "Search the house, in case she's trying to fool us!"

Irina did so but the house was empty. She needed to catch Sydney before Nikolai did. God knows, what he would do to punish her for running away. She felt angry and proud at the same time. Angry that Sydney was endangering herself, but proud that she had had the guts to do something…to fight back.
Irina knew she could have chosen not to alert her partner of Sydney's disappearance right away. She could have covered for her, thus giving her a precious advantage…time, but she didn't want her wandering the streets of Peterhof on her own. It was dangerous, suicidal even. There was no way she could make it back home without even an ID. She didn't know where the airport was or how to ask for directions, and she had no money to use a public payphone to call for help.

Actually, her main motivation was rather selfish. Letting Sydney go meant giving up talking to her, to make amends for the past, perhaps even the present. Irina couldn't let that happen; she couldn't just let her run away without explaining. She had waited too long.

Irina ran out of the door, praying she wasn't too late. She had let her baby girl be hurt once. She wouldn't let that happen again, ever.

The house was fairly isolated from the neighbourhood, but not lost in the middle of nowhere. It was nightfall and the heavy rain was not helping the visibility. She couldn't see too far ahead so she took the most logical path. Her daughter was smart so she must have followed the road going down to the city.

A few minutes later, she noticed a tall silhouette moving around the trees. Irina smiled to herself; Sydney was definitely a smart girl. She had chosen to walk through the forest instead of taking the clearing side or the road. It was harder to see her that way.

She tried to approach as discreetly as possible, all the while wondering where Nikolai was. She didn’t mean to startle her daughter, but she was spotted when the escapee threw a look over her shoulder to ensure she wasn't followed. Irina broke in a run, successfully avoiding tree branches and deadly roots embedded in the ground. The soil strewn with leaves was slippery; the watery mud embedded in her running shoes was slowing her movements. Irina had seen her running while doing surveillance, so she was not surprised when the girl almost distanced her despite the climatic conditions.

She was still a good fifty meters away when Nikolai came out of nowhere and tackled Sydney from behind. The young woman let out a painful gasp when her already bruised body crashed on the ground.

"No! Let go!" She kicked at him.

The agent turned her around and punched her. He straddled her chest, successfully pinning her down, and started yelling at her, "Where did you think you were going, you little b*itch?” He hit her again, splitting her lip, blood spattering her face and the tee.

“Please!” Begged Sydney, whose pleas of mercy were finally heard, but not by her attacker.

"Stop it! Get off of her," ordered Irina, roughly grabbing and shoving him against a tree.

"She deserves a lesson, for making me run after her in the middle of the night!" The young Russian argued in his defense. He stepped forward and pulled Sydney to her feet, intending to deliver a new blow.

Irina grabbed him again and socked him hard in the face, breaking his nose, thus almost causing him to pass out.

"I said stop it! Don't ever disobey my orders again, Nikolai," roared Irina. She turned her attention to her daughter, who was on her knees shaking.

The astonished man made his way back to the house, nursing his bloody nose while mumbling to himself, his pride seriously injured. He would make them pay for humiliating him.

"Sydney? Are you all right? Did he hurt you?" She reached out to cup her daughter’s face, who tried to back away, fearing a new blow.

"Sydney,” she said, “it’s okay, I’m not going to hurt you…” Sydney lowered her head in shame. “Sweetheart, are you alright? Does it hurt?” Irina squatted down to be at her level.

"I don't want to die," sobbed Sydney.

This came as a shock to Irina, who looked at her with wide eyes, stunned.

“What did you say?” She said in an expressionless voice.

“I’m sorry I ran away! Please don’t hurt me! I’m sorry!”

“I’m not… Sydney, I’m the one who should be apologizing.” How was she supposed to say that? “I’m sorry, I didn’t know what he would do…they tricked me…” Irina exhaled; it was neither the time nor the place for explanations. The soaked girl was shivering. She left the house dressed only in the tank top and sweat pants provided by Irina. Irina took her jacket off and put it around her daughter. No need to hide her gun now. No one would dare to go out in the woods in this weather. “Can you stand?” Sydney nodded and let her mother help her up to her feet. Things started to spin as soon as she was on her feet. Irina caught her before she could fall and picked her up in her arms.

“I don’t feel good…” mumbled Sydney.

“You haven’t eaten anything in two days, I’ll fix you something as soon as we get back,” replied Irina gently.

They made their way quietly up to the house. Irina had never felt better; her daughter’s arm around her neck was the most incredible sensation. After a while, she felt she should say something to reassure Sydney, who seemed to get more and more anxious as they neared the house.

“I’m not mad at you.” After a pause, she clarified, “…for running away. I‘m just glad you are not injured.” Sydney said nothing. Irina stopped walking. “Sydney?” and finally elicited a reaction from her.

“I’m sorry… I heard the door… I was scared, I thought he was coming back to kill me…"

"Who…?” Then it dawned on her, Nikolai. He was the cause of this mess. Too bad her superiors would notice if she killed him. “Oh sweetheart… I’ll never let him near you again, I promise.” She dared to kiss her on the forehead. Sydney either didn’t mind or was too tired to protest. “Come on, let’s get you inside.”

Peterhof, earlier
Sydney was left alone with her thoughts. She remembered the last time she saw her mother, that night. Laura said she was going out to get some milk, that she would be gone less than an hour. She never came back. A few hours later, two police officers rang the doorbell. Jack was away on business. Sydney was alone in the house.

The neighbour next door was a good friend of the Bristow’s. She would notice there were no cars in the driveway and if the lights were on would assume the little girl was alone. She would come by, using her key, or just keep an eye on the house from afar when Laura had errands to run. Mrs. Bristow was never gone more than an hour and knew she could count on Mrs. Perry to watch over Sydney.

Seeing the police car that day, Mrs. Perry came to see what was wrong. They told her about the accident. Sydney stayed with her for the night. Neither Mr. nor Mrs. Bristow had any family in the area. Jack Bristow came home the next day, devastated. He left a few days later and didn’t come back for months. Mrs. Perry took care of Sydney as if she were her own child.

How did it happen? How could her mother have just left, pretending to be dead? How someone could do that to the people they love? How could they let them mourn? She felt a tear run down her cheek.

She lost track of time, remembering happier times, memories of a loving, caring mother. She noticed she was wearing clean clothes now. She vaguely remembered losing control of her body while Nikolai was beating her. It had been too much, she couldn’t take it and had let go. She went somewhere between conscious and unconscious, it was really weird. She did that once before, the night Mrs. Perry told her that her mother wouldn’t come back, ever. She didn’t eat, didn’t talk for days, even after her father had returned the following day. She had felt numb back then, empty, cold. It was a strange sensation, hard to describe, and she had hoped she would never feel that way again.

A sudden noise startled her. She recognized the ominous slam of the garage door. She had heard it when Nikolai had dragged her down there to beat her. Instinctively she got up, panicked, and looked for a weapon to defend herself. She tried the door out of desperation, knowing it was closed, but it was open. She didn’t think much of it. She didn’t have time. The bathroom door was wide open, screaming at her to go this way. She could see the moon through the window and only hesitated a second before jumping.

Peterhof, now
Mother and daughter were in the bathroom, with Sydney sitting on the WC’s lid.
"Take off your clothes and throw them in the garbage can, I'll go get you something else to wear."

“Okay,” said Sydney quietly.

Irina went to her room and fetched a simple black tee shirt and a beige jean. When she came back to the bathroom, Sydney was standing clad in her underwear. Irina's relief at seeing her still here was short lived when she noticed the black and purple bruises adorning her body.

"My God…" She knew the beating was bad, but when she had washed her earlier, the bruises weren’t showing yet. She had bandaged cuts and scratches but hadn’t realized the extent of the damage. It only stirred up her hate for Nikolai. She would make him pay, whatever the consequences were, she would avenge her baby girl. This ‘man’ would not live to have children of his own.

Sydney's head snapped up and she tentatively crossed her arms around herself, trying to cover her partial nudity.

"It's fine. Just leave the clothes there, I can dress myself."

The other woman eyes traveled down to her legs, where she was sure she hadn’t noticed any kind of mark earlier.

“It’s… I fell in the woods,” said Sydney by way of explanation.

Irina nodded, “I’ll be right outside.” She pushed the door on her way out but didn’t close it. Sydney got the message. She wasn’t trusted. She didn’t mind though, she ran away out of sheer panic. Now she knew even if she managed to get out of the house, she wouldn’t have anywhere to go. It was like –10°C outside at night and suicidal to hide in the woods or in the streets.

When she was done dressing, she washed her face at the washbowl and came out of the bathroom. Her mother was waiting for her on the other side of the door, as promised. She walked her to her bed, gave her a glass of water and tucked her in.

“I’m going to make you something to eat, I’ll be quick.”

“Okay… I’ll wait here. I won’t run away again. I swear.”

Irina smiled kindly. “Of course you won’t.” She picked up a pair of handcuffs from the night table and took hold of her daughter’s bandaged wrist.

“Wait! What are you doing?”

“I can’t take the chance lives are at stake here, Sydney. It’s either that or I’ll have to ask Nikolai to watch you.”

“Can’t I go in the kitchen with you? You can keep an eye on me yourself,” asked Sydney, not wanting to be alone, handcuffed to her bed. The prospect of staying alone in her state of vulnerability with Nikolai somewhere near was freaking her out. She felt safe with Irina, but she wasn’t about to tell her that. After a pause, she added, “Maybe we can talk while you cook?”

Irina thought about it and agreed. It would be nice to have her daughter by her side while she was cooking. She remembered a time when they would make all sorts of cakes when Sydney didn’t have school. She had taught her a few simple duties to help.

“Alright, but put that on, it’s chilly downstairs.” She handed her a sweater and a pair of slippers.

Sydney was sitting at the kitchen table while her mother was heating some soup in a pan. She took it upon herself to break the awkward silence. She had questions and wanted answers, now. “Why am I here?”

That took Irina by surprise. She turned around and faced Sydney’s quizzical look. “What do you mean?”

“What am I doing here, in Russia? Why did you kidnapped me?”

Irina sighed, “I… It’s complicated.”

“Yeah I got that already. What about Dad? Is it because he did something with the Mafia? Is it why you said there were people following me?”

Irina opened her mouth to speak but nothing came out. Jack, in the Mafia? How funny! “I… Sydney…” Of course, her daughter still had questions, and Irina had the answers. The problem was to give them without saying too much, without making her look bad. Now that the ‘mother part’ had been dealt with, it was time to talk ‘business’.

“I need to know! Please! I don’t understand. It’s crazy. Nothing makes any sense, help me!”

“Your father… He’s an agent of the US government, a very important one.” She was trying to make it simple for Sydney to understand. “The people following you were his people, they were supposed to keep you safe.” At that, Sydney snorted and rolled her eyes. Irina smiled. “Trust me; I was not happy when I saw how sloppy they were.”

Sydney froze. “Wait, you mean… you saw them? You followed me too?” She asked, incredulous.

“Yes. Nikolai and I have been watching you for a while before… we took you.”

“That’s… I can’t believe it! My dead mother that I haven’t seen in twelve years has been stalking me for God knows how long… That’s just creepy!”

“It’s not like that… I…” She looked away for the moment, trying to gather her thoughts, to find some way to explain. This was her daughter…one she has not seen for twelve years… Usually, she was not one to get confused, no matter what the circumstances were. She wished she could treat this as a business matter, it would be easier. It was not business, for her it was personal, and that is what made it hard to deal with the whole scenario. “The people I work for, they want something he has, but he wouldn’t give it to them.”

“So you took me… to trade?” It was more of a statement than a question. Irina could practically see the wheels turning in her daughter’s head. She was brought out of her thoughts by a loud crash. Sydney’s chair was knocked over, the young woman fists clenched at her side. She was trembling. Irina quickly got round the table and fixed her eyes on Sydney’s equally dark eyes.

“What is it? Are you feeling all right.”

“I can’t believe it! All of this… taking me, the surveillance, being nice, letting this creep beat me and now all you’re interested in is that thing Dad has,” accused Sydney.

“No! I had an opportunity to spend some time with you and I took it. I don’t care about this disk.”

Sydney’s voice lowered. “Who suggested it?” Before Irina’s confused look, Sydney clarified, “…to take me? Who came up with the idea? I know Dad never talks about me at work or to anyone actually.” Then, more pensively, “his friends don’t even know I exist, so how could a foreign agency, whatever you call yourselves, how could they know about me?”

Irina’s face whitened, she lowered her head, embarrassed. It wasn’t an accusation they weren’t there just yet. She had underestimated her daughter; she should have given her more credit. Underestimate your enemy could cost you greatly. Her price would be Sydney’s hate. Sydney was not the enemy, though Irina was supposed to see and treat her as such.

“I can’t believe it… it was you! It was always you! I should have known, the way you talked to Nikolai, you’re his boss…you orchestrated all of this!” She sounded so horrified and outraged; Irina’s heart sank for her daughter. She had to do something, to explain, before Sydney came to the wrong conclusions.

“Sydney!” Irina grabbed her by the shoulders, trying to get her to settle down. “It’s not what you think. I had to do that, I had to protect your father!”

“Lives are at stake…” Sydney murmured. “That’s what you were trying to tell me earlier; you were talking about Dad, weren’t you?” Sydney said the realisation dawning on her.

Irina nodded gravely. “Yes.”

“Explain. How did that happen? I know how I ended up in this mess but you didn’t tell me why exactly.”

“Your father is becoming too good at his job, he is getting in the way of powerful people, powerful organisations. He is the prime target.” She didn’t want to scare Sydney, but she had to make her see the reality of things. She wouldn’t understand otherwise. She kept on going, mercilessly. “I discovered there were orders to shoot him on sight. They were sending people after him, whose sole purpose was to kill him. I couldn’t let them deprive you of your father after they already took your mother…” At that, she stopped. She had spoken her mind, a mistake.

Sydney’s head snapped up.

“What?” She knew what she heard but it didn’t make sense. It would mean that her mother was working for the same people when she… died. The first question she meant to ask was why, why did her mother leave her as a child, but she couldn’t bring herself to do so. Maybe she feared the answer. Maybe Irina would have told her ‘I didn’t love you anymore.’ Now she would have her answer, though she never asked the question.

Irina was a smart woman and it was no slip of the tongue. She never slipped. Somehow, her unconscious mind expressed itself; she lost control over herself. Maybe it was for the best, or not. Time will tell. Now that the cat was out of the bag, she might as well explain. There was no way Sydney would just let it drop.

Irina took a deep breath and went to the living room, motioning Sydney to follow her. There, she sat on the couch and patted the seat beside her, inviting her daughter to join her. She did so, though hesitantly. Irina took her hand and gave it a squeeze.

“It was a long time ago when America and Russia were at war, not shooting war, but cold war and just as deadly. When I was sixteen, the KGB recruited me. They trained me for two years and sent me to America in 1980. I married your father and got pregnant just before the Cold War ‘officially’ ended. I thought they had forgotten about me, but they hadn’t. They called me back and I left.”

Sydney was looking at her, open mouthed. Finally, her mind processed the new information and new questions came to her, accusations, “but you could have stayed anyway, you didn’t have to leave us, to leave me.”

“It’s not that simple Sydney. I wish it was,” she added with a rueful smile. “They had been after me for two years to leave before I returned.”

“What made you decide to leave when you did?” Sydney felt there was more to it than her mother was telling her.

“Do you remember when…it was the last time I took you to the park, the one where you go running now?”

Sydney didn’t react to the reminder she was watched and scrutinized everyday. “Yes, of course, it was the last time I got to spend time with you.” Her tone was bitter, but she softened as she was reliving the memory. “You bought me a chocolate ice cream, with chocolate chips on it.”

Irina was looking at Sydney, a sad smile on her face, seemingly waiting for something, when realisation finally hit Sydney. “The man… you were with a man.” She frowned, deep in concentration. “He talked to you and you took me home right after he left.”

“He had a message for me.” After a pause, she kept on talking, “he had a gun on you Sydney. You were only six years old. I was with you in a public place and he had a gun on you. He could have… hurt you and gotten away with it.” She swallowed, “that was the message.” She was facing forward, jaw set.

For a few minutes, there was no sound in the room. Sydney was slowly digesting the information while Irina was trying to forget how close she had come to lose her baby girl. She told herself Sydney was fine, that she was right by her side. Actually, she was still holding her hand, unaware she was stroking it.

“I would never hurt you on purpose Sydney. You know that, right?” Irina asked bluntly, eyes pleading for her daughter to believe her.

Sydney didn’t know what to answer, startled by the sudden question. She now knew the real story, or a part of it, and felt sad about it. She still felt angry though, and there was no reason for her to spare the other woman’s feelings.

“Irina…”

Irina gasped, horrified, and let go of her hand as if burned. She got up and took a few steps back, hurt. Her daughter had called her Irina. Her family affectionately called her ‘Rina’ while her colleagues and superiors respectfully called her ‘Agent Derevko’. Sydney never called her Laura, always ‘Mommy’.

Sydney stood up and looked at her, “Did I say something wrong? It’s your name, right? Irina?” She didn’t notice the pained look on her mother’s face.

The woman was tempted to let her defenses back up. It was usually how she dealt with pain, by hiding herself behind walls of steel, behind the persona of Irina Derevko, a cold and ruthless Russian agent. Her daughter’s next words dissuaded her from doing so.

“I don’t know you. How am I supposed to just ‘know’ you wouldn’t hurt me on purpose?” asked Sydney quietly, her eyes steady on her mother’s face.

“You can get to know me again,” whispered Irina. When she thought everything was lost, Sydney proved her wrong. She was letting her know she wanted to try, to let her in.

“I would like that,” Sydney smiled shyly at her, eyes moist.

They stared at each other for a few moments, neither of them daring to take the first ‘physical’ step. Irina could see her daughter was uncomfortable and nervous. She cleared her throat and nodded toward the kitchen, “we should go finish dinner.”

“Yeah.” Sydney nodded emphatically, relieved. She followed her mother to the kitchen and sat at the table while Irina reheated the soup.

The forty-eight hour delay was coming to an end. The disk was safely tucked away in Jack’s inside coat pocket. He left in a CIA issued car in the LAX valet parking lot and took a plane to Borisport International Airport in the Ukraine. The man called him on his cell earlier, ordering him to take the next flight for Kiev. He was supposed to call back to give him further instructions.

The CIA had no idea Jack had been contacted, they were still looking for clues in Sydney’s kidnapping. They proved highly inefficient until now and Jack couldn’t take the risk they would jeopardize the exchange if he involved them. He would do things his way.

It was personal.

TBC

COLLATERAL DAMAGE
Eyghon

Author’s notes: I was very inspired this week end, I wrote three chapters! Thanks to Lenafan for the great beta reading. I take the time to pm you guys, take the time to review please!

Chapter 9: Take it or leave it

Sydney was sleeping peacefully, thanks to the painkillers she took after dinner. Her mother was sitting by her side, watching her with love.

A few hours after the young girl went to bed, Nikolai barged into the room.

“Agent Derevko, we’re leaving.”

“Where?” asked Irina.

“Kiev! It’s where the exchange will take place tomorrow. We’ll be waiting in the car.”

“We?”

“Chevchenko thought reinforcement would be useful. He sent some agents from Security Section.” He left, leaving his partner to get their hostage ready.

“Sydney? Come on sweetheart, wake up.” She gently shook her shoulder.

“What is it?” mumbled a sleepy Sydney. The painkiller’s side effects were still making her drowsy.

“We’re leaving. Put your shoes and your sweater on, it’s cold outside.”

“Where are we going?” Asked Sydney, now wide-awake and worried by the sudden agitation.

“To meet your father.” At the surprised look on her face, Irina added, “don’t get your hopes up. We’re only moving to the city where the meeting will take place. You won’t see him before tomorrow evening.”

“Okay.”

“Sydney, we won’t go alone, other agents arrived,” Irina added gravely, causing her daughter to look at her. “They supposedly are here to escort you, but in truth they are here for me.”

“For you? Why?”

“To ensure I’m doing my job correctly. Nikolai must have talked to my superior about his broken nose.”

“You were protecting me. Isn’t your boss happy I’m still alive?”

“I went too far. It’s a grave offense to assault a fellow agent. I won’t let them hurt you but we have to play along with them for now, until I can organize an extraction team.”

“An extraction team?”

“To get you back where you belong, in Los Angeles. I can’t do it on my own now. We would get caught before we even have a chance to leave Peterhof.”

“What do you mean by ‘playing along’?” Questioned Sydney anxiously.

“We can’t have them suspect that I am helping you. They would pull me off the job and send me back to Moscow immediately, and that’s the best case scenario.”

“What do you mean?” Asked Sydney, fearing to know the answer.

“When I came back in Russia after leaving you, my superiors believed I was no longer loyal to them because I had refused to leave the first time they asked.”

“And what did they do?”

“It’s not important. The point is, we can’t afford to have those security agents getting in the way.”

“Wait. I want to know, was it true? Were you no longer loyal to them?”

Irina paused, but replied curtly, “I’m still working for them, am I not?” Everybody knew that the SVR was nothing more than the KGB with a different name.

Sydney acknowledged her mother’s rebuff and chose to concentrate on the current matter. “Why can’t we just wait and make the exchange? Your friends have the disk and I can go back home. What’s wrong with that?”

Irina sighed, “I thought that’s what would happen when I told my superior about you, because I thought Jack would do anything to protect you. I was wrong; I didn’t know he had become so…detached. He didn’t listen to my partner when he told him about the exchange. That’s why Nikolai did what he did. To give Jack a lesson. Your father won’t just hand over the disk. He’ll try something and it won’t end well. I can’t let that meeting take place; it will be the death of us all.”

“What should we do then?”

“Do you trust me?”

Sydney hesitated at first but nodded firmly, “Yes.”

“Whatever happens, I will protect you and eventually get you back home. You have my word, never doubt that, do you understand?”

“Yes,” nodded Sydney, though not reassured.

A few minutes later, Irina emerged from the house holding a handcuffed Sydney by the arm. Three burly men came forward. Only one of them spoke and in Russian.

“Agent Derevko, a pleasure to meet you.”

“Likewise, and you are?”

“It is of no importance. We will escort you to Kiev.”

“Good. Shall we go now?”

“Yes. I will come with you and Agent Valenkov while my colleagues follow in another car.”

Irina nodded and pushed Sydney roughly toward the car, under the watchful eye of the other four agents. She climbed in after her, letting Nikolai and the bald man take the front seats.

The drive to the airport went on silently, as did the flight. Kiev was around 1000 km away from Saint Pétersbourg; it took less than two hours by plane.

They arrived in Borisport International Airport two hours before Jack did. Probulov was already waiting for them in the plane’s hangar. They left Sydney in the adjacent office while they discussed strategy in the main room.

The CIA had made some progress in the kidnapping’s investigation. Jack learned this when he listened to his voicemail in Borisport Airport. They had the picture of a man stealing the car used to take Sydney away from the mall-parking garage. His name was Nikolai Valenkov and identified as a SVR agent. This information didn’t change Jack’s mind, merely told him whom he was dealing with: the Russians. The disk was useless anyway, so there was no risk in giving it to the CIA’s sworn enemy. Still, Jack knew the consequences would be terrible if that particular agency was to acquire the information encrypted on the disk.

Probulov left to meet with Jack, leaving Irina, Nikolai and the three guards to watch over Sydney. He had decided to go alone, without back up from the present agents and without his ‘merchandise’. It would have been too risky, but the Russian had every intention to play fairly, if the American did. It didn’t mean he trusted him enough to go in without a contingency plan if the man was to refuse his deal.

The men were playing cards. There was nothing to do beside wait for Probulov’s phone call. Irina was nervous, she didn’t like the idea of Sydney not going to be present at the trade; it was not common in that kind of business.

She slipped out to go check on Sydney. She found the young girl where Nikolai had left her. She was sitting, hands cuffed to the chair’s arms. Irina undid her blindfold. The security agents didn’t want her to see their face or the location of the hangar. It was bad enough she knew where the house was located. Once the SVR had the disk, the CIA would know they orchestrated the kidnapping. However, that didn’t mean they had to show all their cards.

“Sydney.”

“Hey.”

“I can’t stay long, do you need anything?” asked Irina, patting Sydney’s knee, hoping to give her some of her strength.

“No. I just want it to be over,” replied Sydney, tired.

“Soon, sweetheart, I promise. My colleague left to meet Jack. If he gets the disk, we’ll drive you to a determined location where your father will come and get you later.”

“I wonder how he’s holding up. He must hate me.”

Irina was flabbergasted. “Why would you think that?”

“It’s all my fault. This disk you want, it must be important to him, and he has to give it up to you in order to save me. He’s doing something bad, for me.”

“He doesn’t hate you Sydney. He loves you very much, more than his own life I’m sure.”

“It’s not true anymore. When you died, he died too. He was never the same after that. He doesn’t care about me.” After a pause, she added, “he forgot my birthday. I still don’t understand how he could do that. I mean, it’s like a crime. All he does is to tell me to be home by 22h00 on school day or 0h00 on weekends. Once I missed the curfew. He was so mad at me…I swear, he's the devil. He's never there and when he is, he either ignores me or yells at me for nothing…he scares me sometimes."

Doubt overtook Irina. It hurt to think of him this way, Jack was such a sweet man when she was his wife; she remembered him as a great father and husband. Having heard about his limited abilities as a parent, she had to ask, to know, “He never hurt you, did he?"

"No! No, God no! Nothing like that…He just yells really loud, you know…I guess it’s the only way he knows how to express himself with me.”

Irina nodded distractedly.

“What happens after Dad finds me?”

“He’ll bring you back home and you will never hear of us ever again.”

“Us? You mean you too?”

“Yes. I can’t stay in contact with you Sydney, it would be too dangerous.”

“You always say that!” exploded Sydney, “I can’t, it’s dangerous…yada yada…Why, why can’t you visit?” Then, more softly, “maybe if you had told Dad you were Russian he could have protected you. The US government I mean, they’re like… powerful, so we could have all gone into witness protection or something. That’s what they do in the movies.”

It was time for Irina to come clean, about everything. “It’s not that simple sweetheart. I did illegal things for my country." Sydney was about to talk again but her mother was faster. "Before you ask what is it I did, know that at the time, America and Russia were at war, every means was employed to take advantage over the enemy. And I mean by both camps."

“I know, you stole information, so what? I’m not stupid. I studied the Cold War. Mafia people do a lot worse and the US still cover their asses.”

“It was…Sydney…I committed crimes, against the United States government.” Irina fidgeted in her seat, uncomfortable.

It took a minute to sink in, but Sydney wouldn’t give up. “Like…kidnapping people?” Still, she got no response. This must be bad, really bad, for her mother not to answer. Suddenly, she knew. “Mom, what did you do?” she asked almost in a whisper.

The irony of the fact that Sydney had finally called her ‘Mom’ at this precise moment was not lost on Irina. She got up, unable to face her daughter anymore, and left the office. Sydney didn’t call for her to come back.

Jack’s phone rang right after he had passed security. It was the same man again. He told him to take the metro to the Cathedral Hagia Sophia.

So here he was, pacing the cathedral square of the oldest cathedral in the Ukraine, waiting for the kidnappers’ intermediary to show up.

It was late but there were still people going home or just wandering the streets. Any of these men could be the one. Jack didn’t know. Jack hated to be so clueless, so vulnerable. He had to wait in the bitter cold, alone. For all he knew, it was all a set up to kill him and a sniper was about to take his shot. Why in hell did the man feel the need to meet in Ukraine of all places? He was Russian.

“Hello Agent Bristow.”

Jack turned around, startled. A man sitting on a nearby bench had addressed him. He sat beside him, game face on.

“Let’s get this over with,” he replied coldly, taking control of the meeting.

“As you wish. May I see the disk please?”

“Where is my daughter?”

“Please, you didn’t think I would bring her here, did you?” There was no mockery in the man’s tone.

“Then we have no business. Good evening.” He walked away briskly.

“Fine by me, I don’t mind keeping her a little longer, but I don’t think she’ll be happy with that.”

This got Jack’s attention. He inhaled slowly and faced the man. “What do you propose we do?”

“This can all go away very quickly. Give me the disk now and I’ll have someone drop your daughter off at a public park. Once I am sure the disk is the original and that it hasn’t been tampered with in any way, I’ll drive you myself to your daughter’s location. If you respected your part of the deal, then we can all go home. It’s a win / win situation, there is no reason for this to fail. Take it or leave it.”

“I assume I have no other choice?”

“Actually you do, but not in the way you’d like. You don’t get to walk away alive Jack. You have to choose now. Either you take the chance to trust me, or you die. I know you have the disk on your person. I could have you killed right now but I am a man of my word. A deal is a deal. Not so long ago you were about to be executed by the people I work for. Someone came forward with a plan to recover the disk you stole in Taipei. Either I get that disk or you will be executed. In either case, I win and I make my superiors happy. It’s your call but make it fast.”

Jack felt a chill run down his spine. So there were indeed snipers surrounding him. “Alright, I’ll take the deal.” He slowly opened his heavy coat and reached for the disk, mindful of the snipers. He handed it to the older man who took it out of its casing and gave it to a passing ‘messenger’. Jack observed as the biker disappeared from his sight.

“The analysis should only take a few minutes,” reassured the man, taking out his cell phone. “It’s me; bring her to the agreed location.”

Jack Bristow did not blink as he heard the man give the order. He prayed his friend’s ‘addition’ to the disk would go undetected.

Back in the hangar, Nikolai hung up his phone. He motioned for his companions to get ready while he went to fetch Sydney. Irina had stepped outside earlier without saying a word.

“Come on b*itch, we’re leaving.” He blindfolded her before cuffing her hands behind her back. He then proceeded to drag her to the main room where the car was waiting. He took two agents with him and ordered the third man to follow them in a second car

Sydney wasn’t sure what was happening. At first, when Nikolai had burst in the office, she thought he wanted something from her. He had practically thrown her in the backseat of the car without explanation and her mother didn’t seem to be there.

Now they were driving through the countryside, she could tell from the lack of stops and noises. It was bad, really bad.

What if they were driving her to her death?

TBC

COLLATERAL DAMAGE
Eyghon

Author’s notes: A short chapter, but essential to what’s coming next. Don’t panic, it’s not the end yet. I write the hours ‘à l’Européenne’, so you need to know that 16h47 means 4.47pm while 7h47 means 7.47am. 0h00 means midnight and 12h00 means noon. I could have changed that to accommodate you but it adds a little ‘Frenchiness’ to my story and I like it. Thanks to Lenafan for the help and the corrections. You're the best!

Chapter 10: The deal is off

It had been one hour since the disk was taken away. Jack hadn't been happy to relinquish his bargaining tool, but the other 'choice' he had was not acceptable.

The man's phone rang, "I see," were his only words.

Jack didn't flinch, keeping his face expressionless, his hand discreetly inching towards his holstered gun.

"Agent Bristow, I'm very sorry you decided not to trust me." He shook his head from side to side, as if sad. A shot rang out, followed by another.

They had been driving in silence for around one hour now. Sydney wondered what had happened to her parents and where she was being taken. She was worried for her mother. She had promised she would protect her and yet she wasn't there. She couldn't shake the feeling that something bad was about to happen. She thought of the last time she had seen her father. They had had a huge fight about her having a party. She had ended up breaking his car's window. When she had come back the following day, he was gone. She hadn't seen him since. He didn't left a note, didn't call, nothing.

She had been disappointed in him many times, but it was never that bad. He was not a bad parent. He was just out of the loop, but not in the same way as other parents. He was never there, never took any interest in her.

What if it was the last time she saw him?

Two figures lay slumped on the ground, two pools of blood merging into one on the cold pavement. The snipers surrounding the cathedral square were supposed to execute Bristow at Probulov's hand signal. Instead, it was his body lying there, shot to death between the eyes. Something had gone seriously wrong, but he needn't worry about it, he was dead.

Jack Bristow coughed and opened his eyes. His face was smeared in blood, his blood. He had been shot in the left shoulder but he was alive. He was not the only one sprawled on the ground. The telephone man was dead. Jack had no clue what had happened but he now knew he had sentenced Sydney to death the second he had decided to have this destructive program installed on the disk. He had killed his little girl. There was no way he could find her, the dead man in front of him would provide no answers.

A screeching noise jolted Sydney out of her bleak thoughts. She couldn't see what was happening as she was still blindfolded. She felt fear seize her as the men around her started yelling in Russian. She heard guns going off. Shots were fired from and toward her car. There were clank noises and jolts as if another vehicle was bumping into theirs. A violent explosion shook their SUV, which started to spin, out of control. There was another loud noise and the car came to a dead halt.

Sydney, who wasn't wearing her seatbelt, had slipped from her seat to the ground during the attack. She was stuffed between the backseat and the front seat, which had been acting as airbags. She finally managed to remove her blindfold by rubbing her head against her raised knees. She took a tentative look around her. Apparently, none of the car's occupant was wearing his seatbelt. The man in the passenger seat had his head embedded in the windshield. The young girl felt bile rise to her throat.

She didn't have time to check on Nikolai, not that she cared about his health, because her door was jerked open. More bullets were fired, aimed at the three male occupants of the vehicle. The shooter was determined to make sure his job was done. Nikolai’s body quietly collapsed against the wheel. The man previously sitting beside Sydney slumped on the backseat at her eye-level, brain matter pouring from bullet holes in his forehead. He was definitely dead now. She screamed. The masked shooter grabbed her and forcibly pulled her out of the wrecked car.

Sydney's eyes widened as they passed chaos. Two more men dressed in black from head to toe had emerged of a battered SUV. It had probably been used to ram into the second car, causing it to explode. Sydney noticed one of the men was approaching the vehicle she had just left. He set it on fire with what looked like gasoline. His colleague was looking for something down into the ravine, presumably the other car, or what was left of it. He motioned for the driver to push the giant ball of fire toward him. Sydney watched as it tumbled down into the ravine, joining the second car.

Shattered glass and pieces of metal crunched under her feet as she was dragged toward the waiting SUV. She felt bullet shells roll under her feet before she collapsed in her captor’s arms.

As soon as Chevchenko received the news, several hours later, he launched a search for Agent Irina Derevko, his prime suspect. He didn't have much trouble finding her, as she was in her office, a few doors down from his. He summoned her in his office, curious as to what she had to say.

"Agent Derevko, when did you arrive in Moscow?"

"Mid-afternoon, sir. I believe it was around 14h00."

"Why did you leave your duty?"

"I was bored. Three men from Security Section showed up. I thought there were more than enough to handle the situation." Chevchenko's brows furrowed. "I felt the assignment in itself was beneath me," she added haughtily.

"I see. So you are not aware of the new developments of this case."

"Last I heard, Mikhail Probulov was heading to the meeting place. Why these questions?"

The older man sighed. "The agents transporting the girl were ambushed. We recovered four bodies. They are burned beyond recognition. Only DNA tests will provide their identity but we believe them to be those of ours agents."

"Our agents? The four of them?" Irina looked surprised.

"Yes," curtly nodded Chevchenko.

"What about the girl?"

"Missing."

"Did we get the disk?"

Chevchenko scrutinized her face, looking for any sign proving she knew more than she was letting on, but found none.

"Probulov was killed, along with two of our snipers. The disk is useless."

"Bristow?"

"Back in America, out of our reach."

"What happened? How could everything go so wrong?"

"That's what I'm asking you."

"I beg your pardon?"

"The girl. She's yours…"

"With all due respect," interrupted Irina, getting angry, "she's not. She's merely a pawn in my plan, plan with which I recall coming to you. Why would I sabotage my own work?"

"Two cars were attacked and destroyed, resulting in the death of one of my best agents and three security agents. An American agent killed a senior officer while a third party, still unknown, executed two snipers. Can you explain that to me, Agent Derevko? Can you tell me how we lost seven of our people?" bellowed Fyodor.

"I can assure you I have nothing to do with a leak or the incompetence of my colleagues. I invite you to check with Security Section, I was here all afternoon."

"I know you were there," softened the man, "but now we have a useless disk and seven unexplained death among our ranks. I am not even talking of the humiliation of this whole agency."

"What is our next move?"

"I want the people who did that."

"I don't believe it comes from the CIA, it lacks their…incompetence. It was a well-planned, well-executed job. No witnesses, no prisoners. An overkill executed by professionals. I think it was an outsider job."

Chevchenko nodded, thoughtful. "I agree. They were probably mercenaries hired by Jack Bristow himself."

"Should I go after him?" Asked Irina. She was the only remaining senior officer alive in the Moscow cell. It was her plan, her mission, so it would be her duty to go after Jack if her superior deemed it necessary.

"No. We do nothing." He sighed and sat back in his chair, resigned. "We lost enough people over this man. Let's hope the loss of his daughter will keep him from the field for a long time. Dismissed."

Irina quietly left the office; relieved Jack was out of danger, at least for now.

She was worried about Sydney though.

TBC

COLLATERAL DAMAGE
Eyghon

Author’s notes: I really enjoyed writing this. Thanks for your questions, it gave me some insight in how you see things. It was very helpful. As always, many thanks to my beta reader Lenafan.

Chapter 11: Half way home

When Sydney awoke, she found herself in a brightly-lit room, lying in a bed. A shorthaired woman was sitting by her side on a chair, staring at her. Seeing her, the young girl sat up, disoriented. Nausea and dizziness threatened to put her back down, but she managed to overcome it.

“Who are you?” she asked, distrustful.

“Hello to you too. I’m Katya. I’m Irina’s sister.”

Sydney just stared at her, mouth slightly open. “She didn’t tell me she had a sister.”

“She didn’t tell me she had a daughter,” replied Katya evenly.

“She planned this?”

Katya blinked, confused, “I don’t know what you are referring too. I’m merely offering you a place to stay until Irina can get here. A man brought you and left.”

Sydney nodded, starting to put things together. “She told me she wouldn’t let them hurt me. She told me there would be no deal.”

“What are you talking about?”

Sydney glanced at her warily, “so you don’t know?”

“No.” Katya shrugged.

“So you’re not an agent?”

Katya laughed, “No! Good Lord, no! I’m in the finance sector. I have nothing to do with Irina’s business.”

“Then why am I here?”

“She called me, saying she needed my help. She begged me. Irina never begs. It was enough to convince me.”

“She must have told you something, explained…”

“No. She only asked me to lend her my company’s jet and to provide you with a safe place to stay. You know as much as I do, probably more. Irina took care of everything else. Whatever everything else is, I have nothing to do with it.”

“But she told you who I was.”

“Actually she didn’t. I knew the second I saw you though. I guessed. You look so much like her,” replied Katya with a smile.

Sydney smiled shyly, then frowned, “how long was I out?”

“Ten hours. I was told you fainted?”

“Yeah, rough day I guess.”

“What’s your name?”

“Excuse me?”

“Your name? What is it?”

“Sydney, Sydney Bristow.”

Katy was thoughtful, “I should have known. I heard Irina call out that name in her nightmares. I didn’t know who she was referring to though.”

“Nightmares?”

“It’s a long story, I don’t think it’s my place to tell you about it. Are you feeling all right? You didn’t stir once during the night, I was starting to worry.”

“Wait, you stayed here with me all night, watching me sleep?” Sydney’s brows rose.

“Yes. My apologies if it bothers you but…Irina never mentioned you, I was curious. You look so much like her. I was fascinated and plus, you’re my niece, I didn’t want you to wake up alone in a place you didn’t know and get scared.” Katya smiled kindly.

“Thanks,” nodded Sydney, grateful for the attention.

“You must be hungry, would you like to join me for some breakfast?” asked her aunt cheerfully. It felt weird to think of her as such. The only aunt she ever had until now was her father’s sister. She was an old and grumpy woman. Sydney hated her but thankfully, her father never forced her to visit.

“Breakfast?”

“Yes, we’re in Italy, it’s eight in the morning. I assure you, I’m not as a bad cook as my sister is,” added Katya with a gentle smile, her eyes twinkling.

Sydney smiled and got out of bed. She followed Katya downstairs.

In the kitchen, Katya was cooking eggs and bacon. “So, tell me about Irina.”

“Er…I’m not the best person to ask.”

“You’re her daughter.”

“Yeah but…we’re not...close...I mean…I don’t know her. I thought she was dead actually.”

“Really? Well, I guess that makes sense. You’re what? Eighteen? She came back twelve years ago…I’m sorry, I should have known. She left you, didn’t she?”

“Yeah.”

“Don’t worry, I’m not very close to her either. We haven’t spoken in years actually.”

“Why is that?” Sydney was glad for the change of topic. Katya seemed rather clueless concerning her sister’s life. She didn’t know how much she should say.

“I’m the eldest of three. When our mother died, I raised Irina and Elena. I didn’t agree with her decision to join the KGB. I told her not to but she didn’t listen. She’s stubborn. When she came back from America, she was thrown into prison for treason. Two years went by before they let her out. She was different afterward, broken and empty. She didn’t talk, didn’t eat, didn’t smile…She had nightmares, horrible nightmares in which she called your name among other things. There was nothing I could do to help her feel better. I took care of her physically until she was healthy enough to do so herself. One day I woke up and she was gone. I learned she was back in the government’s employ as a SVR agent. I felt betrayed. I haven’t tried to talk to her since, but she checks on me from time to time.”

Sydney was shaken. While she had been grieving for the loss of her mother, safe and sound in her house, said mother was rotting in some dark cell, alone.

“She used to say I inherited my father’s ears and her character. She was stubborn when she was with us.”

“Was she a good mother to you?”

Sydney didn’t need to think about it, she nodded emphatically, “Yes, the best mother anyone could ever dream of, until she left me when I was six.”

The thought saddened her, Katya could tell. She decided to switch topics. “She’ll get here as soon as she can. She has to make sure she’s not suspected of having anything to do with your escape.”

“What do we do in the meantime?”

“We could talk some more if you feel up to it. You could fill me in on what kind of mother she was to you, at least on what you remember from your childhood. I could tell you all about her life until she left for America.”

The day had gone by quickly, spent talking with her aunt, sharing memories of the same person in two different lives. Katya had photo albums to show, Sydney had none, not even at home. She had a framed picture of her mother on her nightstand, but her father had all the family albums, probably somewhere in his study.

The doorbell rang as Sydney was helping Katya cook dinner. The woman went to answer it and found herself speechless. Her long lost sister was standing before her, looking nervously at her.

“Irina,” eventually nodded Katya.

“Katya,” greeted Irina in the same fashion.

“Come on in. Sydney is in the kitchen. This way.”

“Mom!” Sydney launched herself into Irina’s arms, sobbing. She buried her face in her mother’s neck. She felt so safe in her embrace, a familiar and foreign feeling.

“Shhh, it’s okay, it’s okay, I’m here now. Are you alright?” asked Irina, wrapping her arms around her sobbing daughter. She had never thought she would get to hug her daughter ever again, to console her as she did when she was a child. It hurt to see Sydney in pain but it felt so good to be able to soothe away her pain with something as innocent as a hug.

“I was so scared! They didn’t tell me where they were taking me…you weren’t there. I was all alone!” sobbed Sydney, “I thought you had left me again!”

Irina’s heart broke, a tear made its way down her cheek, she hugged Sydney even tighter. It had been hard leaving her daughter with Nikolai, but she needed an alibi. What better alibi than to be in the SVR offices? “I’m so sorry I couldn’t warn you Sydney. I had to stay away, to protect you. If they had known what I was planning, they would have hurt us both.”

“I was worried about you,” confessed Sydney, looking up at her mother.

“I’m okay, you don’t have to worry about me, sweetheart.” It felt so odd to have someone care about her; it had been so long since anyone had bothered to worry about her.

“How did you manage to pull that off? The men who killed everyone?”

“I know people who know people. They were mercenaries, I hired them, I paid them. I’m sorry you had to witness that. Were you injured?”

“No, I’m fine, I was just so scared!”

“I know. But it’s over now, you’ll be home soon.”

After a few minutes, Sydney had calmed down enough to keep the tremors out of her voice. Reluctantly backing away from her mother’s familiar scent, she wiped her eyes and asked, very seriously, “Mom?”

“Yes?”

“We need to talk. I still have questions.”

Irina sighed and glanced at Katya, who seemed uncomfortable. “Alright, but not now, I don’t want Katya mixed in all of that, okay? I’ll come in later if it’s not too late.”

Sydney was sitting Indian style on her bed, reading a magazine Katya had brought her earlier. She had had a big day what with meeting her aunt, sharing memories with her all day and finally getting her mother back. She was exhausted but couldn’t go to bed just yet, she wanted to talk with her mother. She hadn’t insisted earlier and had left Irina and Katya alone on purpose. She had the feeling both sisters needed to talk, to sort things out.

A few hours later, she couldn’t hold back sleep anymore and slipped between the covers. There was a soft knock on the door. Someone entered her bedroom, closing the door softly behind her. It was her mother. Irina knelt by the bed and called out Sydney’s name. Her eyes opened and she sat up wide-awake.

“Hi. Sorry I woke you, I wanted to make sure you were alright.”

“It’s fine. I couldn’t sleep anyway.”

“I brought you some tea. It will help you relax. It’s healthier than pills.”

“Thanks.” Sydney sat up and accepted the hot cup. “How did it go with Katya?”

Irina shrugged, “we haven’t seen each other in a long time. I left angry years ago, it’s complicated.”

Sydney didn’t push the issue but instead concentrated on her main concern. “How is Dad?”

“He’s fine. He’s back to the U.S. and the SVR won’t bother him again.”

Sydney sighed in relief, but felt her mother was hiding something. “What is it?”

“He was hurt, not badly, but don’t worry. He was lucky, it could have been worse.” Inwardly, she thought he deserved much worse for putting Sydney at risk. She thought she had let him off the hook too easily. She might have to correct that later.

“What happened?” Sydney gasped.

Irina knew what she was about to say would hurt Sydney, but she was a big girl, she deserved to know the truth. “He didn’t respect the deal. He tried to fool the man he was meeting with. A sniper shot him in the shoulder.”

“But…wasn’t that dangerous for me?”

“This disk was a bomb in the wrong hands. Your father had to protect it…at all cost.”

Sydney swallowed, pain evident in her eyes, “I see.”

Irina wasn’t about to tell her she paid the sniper. Probulov’s men were dead before Jack even got there. Irina’s men took their place and watched the meeting unfold. They were to cover Agent Bristow in case something went wrong. Irina knew he would do something stupid. She had been so angry with him for endangering their daughter for the sake of his beloved agency. That’s why she had had him shot.

She too had put Sydney in the line of danger by exposing her to her superior and colleagues, but it was for a higher purpose. The situation had escaped her control, as the Nikolai debacle had proven. She felt remorseful for what happened to Sydney, but she meant to protect Jack while he only wanted to protect the CIA, knowing all along it would probably cost him Sydney’s life.

“When I get home, what do I tell Dad?”

Irina tilted her head smiling, “the truth of course.”

“How do I explain how I escaped and came home?”

“You don’t need to concern yourself with that, Sydney.”

“Fine but what about Russia and Nikolai? Should I tell him that?”

“Tell him the truth, everyone is dead anyway. If we try to make up a story, he’ll know you’re lying.”

“But what about you? I can’t tell him you’re alive, it would break him.”

“He knows I’m Russian. There is a good chance my ‘death’ was an extraction and he knows it too.”

“But the CIA will have proof you’re alive if I talk; they will look for you.”

“I’m good at playing cat and mouse.”

“What if they find you? Will they send you to prison?”

Irina sighed, “I don’t know. It depends. There will be a trial, unless I plead guilty…in the end it doesn’t matter…I’ll get the death penalty.”

Sydney gasped, “whatever you did, you have the right to a fair trial and…”

“I committed crimes, Sydney. I killed people, people working for the US government. They were Federal agents...” interrupted Irina firmly. “It would be the Federal government who handles my case, not the state of California.”

“You mean…agents like Dad?”

“Yes. It’s considered treason. They can do whatever they please to me.”

“But why? Why did you do that?”

“Because I was ordered to do it. Your father too did things he’s not proud of and at that time, every means was employed to gain the upper hand on the enemy, by both the US and the USSR.”

A heavy silence followed, broken when Sydney yawned loudly, her state of exhaustion now obvious.

“Come on, sweetheart, you should sleep. I’ll tuck you in.”

Sydney laid back down as Irina pulled the covers up, “Tomorrow morning I’ll take you back to Los Angeles myself.”

“Isn’t that dangerous for you?”

“No, I’ll be okay. The SVR is too busy looking for the people who attacked their agents.”

“But what about the US authorities, you told me it was dangerous….”

“Don’t worry about them. I’ll stay in Los Angeles for a few days, to make sure you are really out of danger. You won’t see me, but I’ll be there. You’ll be safe.” Irina was not worried, Chevchenko would soon learn Sydney was alive but there was a very little chance he would try anything.

“Okay,” agreed Sydney, reassured.

“Goodnight sweetheart. I love you.” She softly kissed her on the cheek.

“I love you too, Mom,” replied Sydney, returning the kiss with a dimpled smile.

Irina stroked her hair and watched Sydney fall asleep, a peaceful smile on her face.

TBC

hey, great update....I love the mother/daughter stuff and you do such a great job of portraying it.

So is this story close to being done now?

Back