Damaged

Alone in the living room, Ky hugged her knees and stared out the bay window. Although she did not sob, she felt tears flowing from her eyes. She was surprised that she could feel the warm droplets of sorrow on her skin; from the moment she found out about the plane crash she felt disconnected from her body and everything around her including Nick. Her worst nightmare became her reality and being numb was only her escape.
Quietly, Nick came from the kitchen and sat down on the coffee table. He let a couple of minutes passed before deciding to speak.
“I just called Jacobs; he’s on his way here,” he put his mobile phone next to him. She didn’t respond. “Ky,” he was wary as he joined her on the couch and sat in front of her; she continued to stare out the window. “Say something.” He stroked her black silky hair hoping to ease her.
Blinking her eyes to flush out her tears, she turned her attention to him. In her mind, she had already given. Ever since the death of her mother, she believed that fate merely existed to torture her by taking away those that she loved and cared for. Now, she was angry and upset, because this time she lost her guardian, mentor and best friend.
“What do you want me to say?”
“Whatever you’re feeling right now.”
“No.”
“Don’t,” he warned as he looked into her eyes.
“I didn’t say anything, so why the hell are you warning me?”
“You’ve already given up!” He shouted and then quickly regained his composure. Changing his tone, he said, “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to yell at you. But Ky, I see it in your eyes.”
She knew that he spoke the truth and decided not to deny it. “Have you ever lost someone close to you?”
“Like death?” He asked and waited a beat before answering. “No, I haven’t.”
“Well I have,” her voice cracked. “You know what I’ve learned from it? Having hope is useless. It’s just another form of denial that’s …that’s just torturous.” Tears continued to flow from her brown eyes. “So why have it?”
Looking into her glistening eyes, he realized that it would take more than him and time to change her. “Because you’re not really living if you have no hope and I wouldn’t be with you if I didn’t. There are times when I was close to giving up but I didn’t because I knew that in my heart we would be worth it. Just like us, I know that Harrison is ok.”
“You have no way of knowing that.”
“I do.”
“How?”
“Because I believe it,” he hugged her and cupped that back of her head. “Harrison is fine.”
In response, she held onto him tightly and whimpered into his ear. “I wish I could believe you.”

After spending most of the previous night eating and making love, Kate slept soundlessly next to a conscious Ericsson. He watched his wife sleep admiring her serene beauty. As much as he loved spending time with her and their son, he cherished the moments he had alone with her. Gently, he planted a small kiss on her forehead before rolling off the bed.

It was their three year anniversary and through one of his childhood friends, he had managed to reserve the honeymoon suite in Vermont’s top rated resort; at half the price. Yesterday had been their first night of a three night stay.
Pleasantly weary, he pulled his navy drawstring pants off the carpeted floor and put them on. A buzzing noise coming from bathroom summoned him. It was his mobile phone vibrating in its charger.
“Jacobs, what’s going on?” He turned the sink on.
“You haven’t watched the news..” Jacobs voice was wary.
Taking out his shaving kit from under the sink, he asked, “No..I just woke up. Why, did I miss something?”
“I don’t know how to tell you this, man, but Harrison’s flight…the plane crashed.”
He turned off the water and leaned against the sink. “What?”
“Yeah, uh…there’s no official word yet but they’re saying that it might engine failure. I’ve been trying to call his cell but I’m just not getting through.”
Ericsson put his hand over his mouth. “Is there anything I could do?”
“No, just-just stay in Vermont and I’ll call you when I find out more.”
“Are you sure? How about Ky? She must be a wreck.”
“I’m going over there now. I gotta go but just..stay positive. We need that…Ky needs that.”
“Ok,” he nodded, “later.”
“Bye,” he hung up.
He exhaled and got back into bed with his wife. In his arms, he cradled her as he fell asleep.

Running through the airport, Joey repeatedly dialed Harrison’s phone number hoping that he would answer instead of receiving his voicemail. She was panting as she ran towards his gate. Although, she wasn’t sure how she was able to since she had felt numb after hearing of the plane crash on her car radio. Like Nick, she had never lost a loved one and now, she hoped that Harrison wouldn’t be her first.
Her heart pounded against her chest when she ran towards the security checkpoint. The tears blurred her sight but she continued on her way. She heard a familiar voice call out her name and stopped running but did not turn around. When she heard the voice again, the tension in her body faded and spun around.
“Joey!” Harrison yelled as he ran towards her and took into his arms.
She held him tightly, thanking God that she was able too. Then the family and friends of those who were on Harrison’s flight came to mind. It wasn’t until that moment that she believed in good luck. They kissed each other savoring each other’s presence.
He wiped away her tears and she kissed his palm. “I can’t believe I’m here,” he told her with gracious eyes.
“Why weren’t you on that flight?”
His looked at her and began explaining himself. “I forgot my cell phone on the bathroom sink. So, I got up and took my bag with me, just in case I missed the flight and I stepped off the plane. The stewardess told me to get back as soon as I could. When I got back…the plane already took off.” He his blue eyes were full of shock. “Joey, if I hadn’t forgotten my phone, I would have been on that flight.” He pressed his lips on her thankful that he had her in his arms and in his life.
She cupped the side of his face. “But you weren’t and I am so thankful for that.”
He brushed her long champagne colored hair away from her face. “My battery’s dead. Can I use your phone to call Ky?”
“Sure,” she pulled her phone of her purse and handed it to him. “God, I can’t imagine what she’s thinking.”
He dialed his phone number, “Me too,” he remembered their fight before he left.

Jacobs stopped stroking his goatee and sat on the loveseat couch while still holding his phone to his ear. He tossed it onto the coffee table when Nick came downstairs.
“How is she?” He asked Nick.
“Quiet. She’s still crying but she’s not sobbing..just tears,” he sat on the armchair. “Has his answered his phone?”
He glanced at his feet, “Nope, nothing.”
“Do you think Ky’s right about him?”
Shaking his head, he replied, “I hope not.” And he had meant it. Harrison was like a brother to him and to Ky, he was everything.
“Me too.”
The house phone rang and they looked at each other.
“I’ll get it,” Jacobs reached to his right and answered the phone. “Hello?”
“Jacobs?” Harrison asked.
“Jesus man what took you so long to call?! Do you know how worried I’ve been and Ky-“ He put his hand on his hip but immediately removed realizing that it was one of his mother’s mannerisms.
Anna used her key and came in through the front door. Looking at Jacobs she put her purse down on the couch. He pointed at the phone and mouthed, “Harrison”.
She put her hand over heart and said, “Thank God.”
“OK DAD! My phone’s battery is dead and I’m using Joey’s cell,” he glanced at Joey as she drove. “And I’m catching a flight tomorrow
“I’m sorry and I’m glad you’re fine. But…you had Ky on edge.”
“s***,” he muttered. “I need to talk to her.”
“I’ll get her,” he strode upstairs and Harrison told him why he missed the flight.

Exhausted and in despair, Ky rested on her side and stared at her mother’s framed picture on her nightstand. She broke her sullen silence.
“I know you’re taking care of Harrison. Could you please tell him that I don’t hate him and that I’m sorry for throwing that coffee mug. And that I love him,” she whimpered.
She sniffled. “Is this how my life is gonna be? Is it? Just loss, disappointment and heartache? When something good happens does something horrible always have to occur to balance it? Because if it is, I don’t want it. I give up. I’m not like you Mom; I’m not strong enough to fight another day.”
“Ky,” Jacobs pushed her door open and held the phone in front of her.
Quickly, she sat up and asked, “Is it Anna?”
“No, it’s Harrison,” he told her.
With an open mouth, she felt her heart stop for a second. He was alive. She accepted the phone and waited until he left the room.
“Ky,” she heard him say on the other end of the line.
The tension in her body dissolved when she heard his voice. It took her a few seconds to speak. “How?” She whispered choking back her tears.
“For the first time in my life, I forgot my cell phone and because of that, I missed my plane. I couldn’t call because my battery needs to be charged.”
“Harrison, what we said to each other-what I said to you..”
“I know. We’ll talk about it when I get home tomorrow,” he assured her. “I love you, Ky.”
He had said what she wanted to hear and he had meant it. “Love you too,” she told him back. “Bye.” For the first time, she felt as if everything was going to be all right and it was a good feeling.
“I’ll see ya tomorrow,” he hung up.
She put the cordless phone next to her and ran her hands through her thick black hair. She hadn’t lost Harrison but quickly lost hope.
“Hey,” Anna said as she walked in and sat next to her on the queen size bed. “How are-“
Ky interrupted Anna by hugging her. Anna rested her chin on her head and wrapped her arms around her best friend.
“I can’t believe this day happened.”
“He had a close call but he’s safe and that’s what matters.”
“I lost hope so easily, so quickly.”
Anna hesitated a bit before saying, “You always do, Sweetie. Why is this any different?”
Her best friend’s honesty had stung but it was what she needed to hear. “I thought I was changing..because of Nick.”
“You are but it’s a slow one. It’s like you did with Nick, it took time and setbacks but look at him now. He is totally in wubb with you!” She joked and heard Ky chuckle.

An Update! *jumps around*
Ironic - I just looked in on this yesterday to see if you put anymore up *whistles*
*jumps more*

---Edit---

She was surprised that she could feel the warm droplets of sorrow on her skin; from the moment she found out about the plane crash she felt disconnected from her body and everything around her including Nick. Her worst nightmare became her reality and being numb was only her escape.

:cry: That was so sad. Just like, she was detaching from everything around her when she needed the people that cared most... I really hope she learns not to do that.

“Because you’re not really living if you have no hope and I wouldn’t be with you if I didn’t. There are times when I was close to giving up but I didn’t because I knew that in my heart we would be worth it. Just like us, I know that Harrison is ok.”
“You have no way of knowing that.”

You know... Nicks a very sneaky little boy. I mean, Kys so focused on what she thinks is happening, and being worried sick about Harrison that I dont think she saw fully the double meaning in that sentence.

Just like us, I know that Harrison is ok.”

*points* That part.
So, either Nick is a genius when it comes to reading Ky, or he's just... sneaky. How the heck could he have figured out that she was worried about loosing him too?

“Joey!” Harrison yelled as he ran towards her and took into his arms.

I think it was about here that I broke out into a huge a*s grin... :D
'Cause in past things that youve written I noticed you didnt seem to have a problem killing anybody...
So, I was just like, holding on to a freakin' thread that youd keep him alive.
And then - wham! *giggles* Harrison!

“You are but it’s a slow one. It’s like you did with Nick, it took time and setbacks but look at him now. He is totally in wubb with you!” She joked and heard Ky chuckle.

I love Anna... have I ever said that before? 'Cause I do.
She's such a great character, and I really hope that Ky takes that sentence seriously. Even in a joking manner - its completely true.

That chapter was great :smiley:
I loved it!
I hope you get more up soon, because I think Ky and Harrison deserve more than just a three second conversation over the telephone.
-Ash

Yay! I"m so happy that you finally updated! ITS ABOUT TIME! ;)

Oh man... poor Ky, that was so sad I almost burst into tears. Thank goodness Harrison is still alive!

Can't wait for your next update!

Back