Darkfall?

Lots of content I'll give it that

lets see where did they get cheap... ah .. player models [thumb down]

looks like a massive content, huge trade skill grind with mass pvp gank fest potential

should be great for some but not me

I wish them all the best

I am not generally speaking a PvPer, by any stretch of that term. However, a few sections of their FAQ that made me boggle:

How are you going to handle Player Killing? Anyone can attack anyone. In fact we encourage you to seek out and kill enemies of your race and your clan. However, it is up to each kingdom to set the rules of their borders. The different kingdoms have NPC guards, that have orders given to them by the player kings and lords. For example, in the city state of Midheim, controlled by the player clan Black Rose, it is illegal to steal and attack players of neutral and good alignment. Evil characters are not allowed into the city, in addition to members of the Keepers of Chaos clan, members of The Mercs and members of the House of Chaos clan. Guards will attack violators on sight, and all inhabitants of the city are encouraged to do the same. (We may add a feature to have guards Kill On Sight individual players too).

Can I have pets or NPC hirelings in Darkfall? Yes. You can have pets and NPC hirelings in Darkfall, ranging from tamed animals and monsters, to summoned skeletons, charmed animals and monsters, hired NPC merchants, hired NPC guards, etc.

How do I tell my NPC hirelings what to do? You can either give an NPC hireling a direct one-time order, such as "heal me", or you can set up a more permanent chain of orders, through an advanced NPC hireling interface in Darkfall. This advanced interface can tell the NPC hireling to heal you every time your health goes below say 10% of your max health, and cast invisibility on you and herself if enemies comes running at you. Obviously the NPC hireling has to have the matching skills and spells to perform these actions.

NPC hirelings have skills and spells like players, and the more skills or spells an NPC hireling has, and the better skill and spell levels she has, the more gold will she require for her services.

Darkfall looks great, but i dont like PvP, can I play anyway? This game is geared towards the PvP market, so you may find Darkfall a bit too harsh for you. That being said, we are aiming at having more useful tradeskills than any released MMORPG to this date, so you may find something of interest to you in Darkfall despite all the PvP action. Most Clans will need a large range of player smiths, farmers, tailors, hunters, fishermen, alchemists, miners, etc., and they will offer relatively safe cities and good accommodations for those willing to spend time crafting items, or providing supplies for the Clan. In theory you could play Darkfall for a year, and never have to take part in any PvP as long as you are careful, and dont venture too far into dangerous territories. Also remember that the Darkfall world is absolutely huge, with hundreds of small islands scattered all over the world. Nothing is preventing you from finding a hard to reach, hard to find little spot of the world, set up a house, and live in peace with a few friends, hunting in the nearby woods, or adventuring into the local dungeons without seeing other players for weeks at a time.

Darkfall can be experienced any way you prefer. We are just making the game - you play it.

... HJ might actually have to work to beat this out for my time.

adventuring into the local dungeons without seeing other players for weeks at a time.

That part intrigues and scares me at the same time.

Honestly, Darkfall will be awesome if they can pull it all off but guess we will have to wait and see. I also wish them the best of luck :smiley:

When it comes to RP, I'm hoping that sandbox play along with massive amounts of players on one server can mean a better chance of running into RPers. It certainly worked for Eve :smiley:

As long as there's a large, strong RP guild which I'm sure there will be I'm so there. I can see RP towns cropping up too, same as they did in SWG. With the advanced rules and laws that a town owner could set as well, it could make for some serious fun.

A lot of what they talk about are the things that followers of Vanguard pre-release will probably be familiar with. This is game looks to be what Vanguard was hyped to be, hopefully it too is not hype.

But MAN does that finding a quiet, hard to find island and playing a hermit sound FUN :D

I actually wouldn't expect it to have more than one perhaps two servers. If the servers are meant to support 10,000 players it takes a strong playerbase to top that many online at once. EVE is the only game I can think of that has servers that large and after years of a growing player base they average about 20-23,000 players on at any given time though a few thousand of those at any given time are trial accounts.

I'd bet good money there won't be a tagged server, but with 10,000ish people on a server and with a sandbox game that's difficult to play and non-handholding I'm banking on a healthy RP community. I'm sure servers will be flooded with OOCers, but I'm fine with that in such a game. When it comes to sandbox, it takes all kinds.

They've said that if you want to play alts with different races, you'll have to use different servers, so they're obviously going to have them.

A bunch of us at TCO are keeping an eye on Darkfall now, if the game really delivers on all that it promises, it is sure to be amazing, even if it is open-PVP. Going to be some great competition for HJ if/when it comes out.

I have to agree. If Darkfall does indeed deliver most/all of what it promises, it could easily sway me away from HJ.

After reading that ALL items like armor and weapons will decay after being repaired a certain number of times there is no way I will ever play it. Have fun with that.

For some reason, Darkfall reminds me of Vanguard with all its ambitious features. I just have a bad feeling about it and doubt I'll play it.

After reading that ALL items like armor and weapons will decay after being repaired a certain number of times there is no way I will ever play it. Have fun with that.

Though to me it doesn't sound like the kind of game where your gear is all-important. As they say, if you can pick it up, you can use it, and therefore you can reasonably replace it. I'm not the kind of person who hordes shinies and is obsessed with my gear so to me that's perfectly viable.

Though to me it doesn't sound like the kind of game where your gear is all-important. As they say, if you can pick it up, you can use it, and therefore you can reasonably replace it. I'm not the kind of person who hordes shinies and is obsessed with my gear so to me that's perfectly viable.

I don't horde "shinies", but I do grow attached to specific items. Like in old-style SWG, I made stuff, and often preferred to use the things I made to the things I bought, even if they weren't as good. Of course, this only goes so far, as I did like buying things as well, but, again... Yeah. I grow attached to my items. Some don't even have any use, but I wouldn't sell them unless someone offered me a ridiculous amount of money. Item degradation sucks. :(2

Far too many games are giant pansies about making items decay. As much as they are about death penalities. They all seem to default to the easy way out, souldbound items which makes NO sense to me at all. I wore this shirt, now you can't cause ... I smell?

Item decay makes sense, you wear a piece of mail into battle a hundred times it's going to get dented, scratched, hell you DIE in it. And logically, after sending the same piece to a blacksmith to fix over and over again it will weaken to the point of being useless. Hells, even my favorite pair of jeans had to be thrown out a few weeks ago, all things pass.

It's also by far the best way to balancing crafted items and keeping crafters in demand. Trust me, I played a tailor post NGE :/ I also played a tailor in a pre-soulbound Vangaurd. I remember items that cost me 50s to make selling for 4s because the market was so insanely flooded. Nothing EVER sold, because nothing ever decayed.

It's a skill based game, totally and completely skill based without level requirements on items. If there weren't item decay and you came upon a nice set of armor you could concievably NEVER need new armor. Ever. And that's just silly

Everyone has their flavors but personally I am about item degradation. I think SWG made a mistake when they took it out. If you have a player economy that has crafters being viable, you need a way for items to leave the world. Being a tailor in SWG did not matter because you could still wear a 0/0 item but as far as weapons and armor went, you kept backups and got new stuff when your old stuff wore out.

I feel this makes it feel more like a world. If Darkfall can keep their plans and work it out properly, I would love to check it out. I have a feeling though they are going to fall short somewhere or change what they want to do.

I am looking for something to be part of a world and not feel like I am just playing a game. I used to not like PvP but I accept it more now, you need to have the proper rules to balance things out. I want people to just be crafters and entertainers and fighters. It is just what I am looking for :smiley:

If you work hard for an item, you shouldn't have to try to find it again or something better because you used it a lot. Some things in games should remain as is. Too much reality makes it not so fun. I just want to have a good time without worrying too much on little details that don't improve gameplay. Basically, if I get a soul sucking sword of death, who could really repair something that is supposedly so unique? If it is magic, should we really say that it would get broken NEARLY as easily, if at all. What novel did you read that someone had a unique weapon that became useless just because they used it alot? Not many, I will tell you that.

If you work hard for an item, you shouldn't have to try to find it again or something better because you used it a lot. Some things in games should remain as is. Too much reality makes it not so fun. I just want to have a good time without worrying too much on little details that don't improve gameplay. Basically, if I get a soul sucking sword of death, who could really repair something that is supposedly so unique? If it is magic, should we really say that it would get broken NEARLY as easily, if at all. What novel did you read that someone had a unique weapon that became useless just because they used it alot? Not many, I will tell you that.

No, but often their big bad sword would break at a crucial moment. Creates drama.

Even Narsil broke ^^

Plus, I could be wrong but I believe armor/weapons will be like SWG, in that most are crafted. I don't think you'd have a crazy uber magic sword that you stumbled upon nor raided for. I think you'd have a crazy uber sword that a very dedicated and skilled crafter made you, who could make another later.

Forgive me, but it seems rather silly to get hung up on one small piece of gameplay when you haven't seen how it really works or balances into the game yet. You're making assumptions from level based, loot centric games. It would be like refusing to play a game because soulbound items aren't realistic. You may be missing out a whole lot of a fun because you can't look past a detail.

Totally not like Pinn being uninterested in Spellborn because of the style, till she saw a good gameplay video. Totally not like that *whistles innocently and prepairs to dodge teeth*

Back